The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 January 2010, 10:29 AM   #1
altoabb
"TRF" Member

SS Datejust question

Hey guys, so I was recently given a SS DJ by my mom. She's had it for a few years, but doesn't really wear it anymore.
Luckily for me, she wears larger watches, so she bought her DJ in a men's size, and was generous enough to hand it down to me.

I can't seem to make the picture work, but it is a SS DJ with a custom diamond bezel and a diamond MOP dial. Here's an ebay auction with the exact watch I was given. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The reason I'm writing is because obviously I'm gonna need to make a few changes, and I was hoping for some direction. I don't really feel comfortable wearing diamonds, so I feel like I'd need to replace the bezel and the dial.

I want to buy a bezel that would return the watch to its original state (the diamond bezel is obviously custom), so I assume something like this would do the trick? http://cgi.ebay.com/FLUTED-BEZEL-FOR...item5d24a30ad3

As for the dial, can I just buy any one of the multitude of dials available on eBay? Should I be worried about any potential problems regarding authenticity?

For my last question, will I be able to just take the watch, the dial, and the bezel to a jewlery store and have them make the changes? If so, how should I go about discerning the shop that would most likely do the best job.

Thanks everyone for reading, and hopefully someone can shed some light.
altoabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 12:18 PM   #2
Jimmieray

Watch: SS DJ 116234
bezel and dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoabb View Post
Hey guys, so I was recently given a SS DJ by my mom. She's had it for a few years, but doesn't really wear it anymore.
Luckily for me, she wears larger watches, so she bought her DJ in a men's size, and was generous enough to hand it down to me.

I can't seem to make the picture work, but it is a SS DJ with a custom diamond bezel and a diamond MOP dial. Here's an ebay auction with the exact watch I was given. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The reason I'm writing is because obviously I'm gonna need to make a few changes, and I was hoping for some direction. I don't really feel comfortable wearing diamonds, so I feel like I'd need to replace the bezel and the dial.

I want to buy a bezel that would return the watch to its original state (the diamond bezel is obviously custom), so I assume something like this would do the trick? http://cgi.ebay.com/FLUTED-BEZEL-FOR...item5d24a30ad3

As for the dial, can I just buy any one of the multitude of dials available on eBay? Should I be worried about any potential problems regarding authenticity?

For my last question, will I be able to just take the watch, the dial, and the bezel to a jewlery store and have them make the changes? If so, how should I go about discerning the shop that would most likely do the best job.

Thanks everyone for reading, and hopefully someone can shed some light.
I once had a SS DJ that came with the original bezel , engine turned SS bezel. I hated it so I bought a WG fluted bezel from ebay and had a jeweler put it on. Was supposed to be factory rolex but I didnt care.
I kept the original so I would at least have the bezel the watch came with.
In regard to the dial, well I am on the hunt for 2 dials now, no luck so far but I will find them. If not i will fly to Holland and met my TRF friend Jack, who has offered to take me to his AD. In Europe you can buy most any dial you want, not like the US. If you have the papers for the watch and you care to return to original state, that is what you should look for. I would post in the WTB section. Good luck!
Jimmieray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 01:01 PM   #3
JohnBoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex - a few!
I can understand your concern about the bling effect of the bezel. The fluted replacement bezel that you are looking is generally the right one for the 'jubilee' look that the jubilee bracelet defines. However, the bezel that you referenced on ebay is an aftermarket - not a genuine Rollie part. I think I'd stick with genuine if I were you and not in a big hurry. The bezel fit up with the case and crystal make (or break) the integrity of the famous 'Oyster' seal.

That said, the replacement dial for it may be had from many sources. For the older DJs, dials come to match either the non-quickset (NQS - oldest), or the quickset (QS -not so old) cases and movements. The positioning of the feet (indexing pins) on the back of the dial is critical to fit the movement. The marker styles and face colors available are almost limitless - if you want a custom or refinished dial. 'Refinished' does not necessarily mean bad or dysfunctional, but a lot of them are fraught with finish imperfections, font issues, poor spelling, spacing, etc. RSCs hate refinished and aftermarket and there are real issues about having them worked on by the 'factory' shops! For most purists (pretty typical of TRFers), refinished and aftermarket dials are not wanted. You have expressed about the same attitude. Congrats on the nice watch from your mother. Take your time and get exactly what you want for it! Good Luck!
JohnBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 01:09 PM   #4
altoabb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy View Post
I can understand your concern about the bling effect of the bezel. The fluted replacement bezel that you are looking is generally the right one for the 'jubilee' look that the jubilee bracelet defines. However, the bezel that you referenced on ebay is an aftermarket - not a genuine Rollie part. I think I'd stick with genuine if I were you and not in a big hurry. The bezel fit up with the case and crystal make (or break) the integrity of the famous 'Oyster' seal.

That said, the replacement dial for it may be had from many sources. For the older DJs, dials come to match either the non-quickset (NQS - oldest), or the quickset (QS -not so old) cases and movements. The positioning of the feet (indexing pins) on the back of the dial is critical to fit the movement. The marker styles and face colors available are almost limitless - if you want a custom or refinished dial. 'Refinished' does not necessarily mean bad or dysfunctional, but a lot of them are fraught with finish imperfections, font issues, poor spelling, spacing, etc. RSCs hate refinished and aftermarket and there are real issues about having them worked on by the 'factory' shops! For most purists (pretty typical of TRFers), refinished and aftermarket dials are not wanted. You have expressed about the same attitude. Congrats on the nice watch from your mother. Take your time and get exactly what you want for it! Good Luck!
Thanks guys for the wonderful information.

So, it seems as though there are quality, legitimate bezels and dials, and ones that are viewed as subpar at best.

My question is, how can I tell the difference, and where should I go on my hunt?
Old 12 January 2010, 02:06 PM   #5
JohnBoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex - a few!
You have just defined the crux of the problem for us all. If you read all the threads pertaining to the 'purchase of watches,' you can apply the same logic to procurement of the parts. As I recall, genuine bezels have Rolex signatures (stamps in the metal) and some dials have identification numbers on the back, but I am pretty sure that not all bez and dials are so marked. So.....IMHO, in order of less-to-more risk....

Visit the AD and pay new prices (and their pricey installation - since you didn't buy the watch from them); visit TRF and look at the classifieds offered by our recommended sellers (Steve is a good guy for many of these parts) and have your local trusted watchmaker install them; try your local watchmaker for purchase and installation (they seldom stock bezels or dials but may have an account w/ Rollie); try a TRF member watchmaker; lurk on WatxxNxx and read the classifieds (local install); and finally, as the last resort, ebxx (local install). Its tougher to 'buy the seller first' when looking for individual parts, even bezels and dials...but.....ahhh....thats a fact of life for a WIS. On the upside, its just a bez and dial, not the whole watch. Just my $0.02 USD, others might define and prioritize differently. Luck!
JohnBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 02:11 PM   #6
Speed
"TRF" Member

I think it is really cool to have that watch passed down from your Mom...Are you both sentimentally attached to it...or are you both more pragmatic?

If you are sentimentally attached to it, either keep it, or do as you are planning.

Alternatively, that watch may help you fund a nice sports model...which your Mom would have still "given" to you...but again I COMPLETELY respect the pass down of the watch and I applaud your plan.

Just putting it out there.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 01:59 AM   #7
altoabb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
I think it is really cool to have that watch passed down from your Mom...Are you both sentimentally attached to it...or are you both more pragmatic?

If you are sentimentally attached to it, either keep it, or do as you are planning.

Alternatively, that watch may help you fund a nice sports model...which your Mom would have still "given" to you...but again I COMPLETELY respect the pass down of the watch and I applaud your plan.

Just putting it out there.
As much as I love the DJ design, this would be my first choice if I didn't already have a 16610 that I wear every day. The DJ would just be for special occasions.
Old 13 January 2010, 02:44 AM   #8
SSD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Stainless Sub Date
Well, it it time for a service? Consider getting one from an RSC? Just an afterthought...

SUBMARINER OWNERS' CLUB
ESTABLISHED 1953
TRF Member # 5464

SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 04:29 AM   #9
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date; SS/WG DJ
We've got a watchmaker/seller here on the forum who deals in Rolex parts and refurbished watches. Go to the sales forum and look for posts by "Stevemulholland3," and send him a PM. He always has a handful of listings, and has sold many pieces here on the forum.

16610 Submariner Date; D Serial
16234 DateJust SS with WG Fluted Bezel & Jubillee, White Roman Dial; F Serial
16570 Explorer II White Dial; M Serial

And Hers: 78240 Mid-Size DateJust SS with Domed Bezel & Oyster, White Roman; D Serial
CPTL is offline   Reply With Quote