The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 28 August 2019, 11:59 PM   #1
Goodwill63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 122613
Interesting article about the watch you wear

https://www.wsj.com/articles/your-wa...nk-11566933401
Old 29 August 2019, 12:00 AM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Thanks, have to be a paid subscriber to read this
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 29 August 2019, 12:07 AM   #3
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...nk-11566933401

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 August 2019, 12:09 AM   #4
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

Can't read it.
Old 29 August 2019, 12:13 AM   #5
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
I just googled WSJ watch article - and it popped up.

Interesting how they referenced retail prices for all models except the Nautilus....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 August 2019, 12:35 AM   #6
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Interesting article about the watch you wear

Didn't find the article particularly insightful or well written.

Tldr: people may notice your watch and the value of it may be shocking to them. Be mindful about what watch you wear to an interview

Copy/paste of full article for folks:

Your Watch Says More About Your Status Than You Think
Even in the age of the Apple Watch and casual everything, your timepiece is sending certain signals to colleagues in the know

By Jacob Gallagher
Updated Aug. 27, 2019 3:17 pm ET

AN OLD WORKPLACE adage says you shouldn’t wear a watch that’s fancier than your boss’s. For Tony Traina, 27, an associate lawyer in Chicago, however, it would have been difficult to find a more casual timepiece than the $399 Apple Watches his firm’s higher-ups tend to favor. He didn’t bother. As a watch-lover, he ignored protocol, showing up at work in a $1,500 mechanical watch by German brand Nomos Glashütte. But it barely went noticed.

In the past, one’s shoes, one’s suits and, yes, one’s watch spoke volumes about one’s place at work. Even though some believe status watches still send signals, today’s office has drastically evolved: CEOs wear sneakers and tell time with their smartphones; many people work remotely; wristwatches are less commonly remarked upon. “You’re more likely to get comments on a new iPhone” than a new watch, said Ryan Cecil Smith, 33, a designer at an animation studio in Los Angeles. In January, he purchased a Rolex and braced for snipes from his Apple Watch- and Casio-wearing co-workers, but so far no one has even acknowledged the pricey timepiece.

Often, wrist real estate that once held introductory-level luxury timepieces like Tag Heuers is occupied by smartwatches—which themselves quietly telegraph modernity, youth, humility, tech-smarts. Most of Matthew Marcus’s millennial co-workers at NCC Media, a TV-advertising sales company in Bethesda, Md., wear Apple Watches. “They kind of treat it as an extension of their phone,” said Mr. Marcus, 30, who is an outlier with his no-texting, no-emailing Grand Seiko watch.

Fans of status watches, however, still subscribe to the view that their timepieces can skew impressions. Kevin Weinman, 34, a CFO for a luxury retail company in New York City, believes his 18-karat gold Rolex GMT Master II “creates a better perception of experience and authority,” that matches his executive title.

When Mr. Weinman was undergoing multiple interviews for a position at a startup, he swapped that flashier watch for quieter options including a vintage Rolex Datejust. “I was very conscious of not wearing extremely expensive watches during the interview process…I didn’t want to seem as if I was priced out of a competitive compensation package.”

Griffin Caprio, 39, a founder of a podcast production company in Chicago, similarly changes his watch depending on whom he is meeting with. If he’s facing a potential investor, he skips the eye-catching green Rolex. Instead he’ll wear a watch from “under the radar” brands like local Chicago brand Oak and Oscar or a Glashütte Original which is actually more expensive than his Rolex but “is not as known to as many people outside of the watch industry.” Mr. Traina, the lawyer in Chicago, speculated that, at his firm, people don’t wear “flashy” watches in front of clients “for fear of them wondering where all of the money they’re spending is going.”

But there is more-objective evidence that status watches can cause waves. Mr. Caprio once worked as an engineer at software and technology companies, where he discovered that curious co-workers were googling his watches and learning that they went for five figures. “You almost kind of want to hide a watch a little bit,” said Mr. Caprio, who felt his colleagues looked down on watch collecting as a “stupid” way to spend money.

The idea that a watch reflects one’s place in the hierarchy definitely persists in more traditional workplaces. Myles Fennon, 40, a commercial real-estate broker in Manhattan, noted there are certain watches, including a ceramic Rolex Daytona and an Audemars Piguet Royal Oak, that his co-workers buy when they’re thinking, “I just made a lot of money, I’m going to go light some of it on fire.” He prefers more-discreet watches “a couple layers deeper” than the common Rolex, like a modern Tudor Blackbay stainless-steel sports watch. He can recall a recent deal with three other brokers who all wore various Daytonas (which can retail for $10,000 and up): “On the elevator ride down I was like, ‘Sorry I didn’t get the memo that it was Daytona day.’”

Last edited by Kliminator; 29 August 2019 at 12:37 AM.. Reason: Copied article for people to reference
Old 29 August 2019, 12:41 AM   #7
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Meh.

Read it this morning. It's obviously written by someone who is outside the watch world and writing from that perspective.

Not very insightful.
Old 29 August 2019, 02:29 AM   #8
woof
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS daytona, Hulk,
Interesting reading but who really cares.......YOU. I select my watch to wear that day based on how I feel and if it matches what I'm wearing (most of the time it doesn't) I can care less of what the other person thinks. Time is too short to worry about what people thinks.
MoonPhase, Rootbeer
Batman, Sub, Blk GMT, Pepsi,YG Daytona, TTSD, Batgirl, 5167/1A, Speedy, P01, OP, Kermit
Old 29 August 2019, 03:14 AM   #9
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Meh.

Read it this morning. It's obviously written by someone who is outside the watch world and writing from that perspective.

Not very insightful.
I agree, and the whole article is self contradictory. The first two supposedly "examples" essentially disprove the author's whole thesis.
Old 29 August 2019, 03:16 AM   #10
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
@Kliminator thanks for posting the article.
Closed Thread