The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 August 2019, 05:19 AM   #1
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

Eye Of The Tiger

I wish I could embed a short video, but these pics may allow some small idea of how strongly the color and brightness moves and “flops” at different angles.

For factory-Rolex stone dials, I know of 1) the infinite variety of DJs, DDs, women’s models and Cellinis, 2) what seems to be a very few onyx dial subs, and 3) the asymmetric and ‘regular’ tiger eye King Midas ones. (Some root beer GMTs mention “tiger eye dial,” but from the images I’ve seen, I think those are not stone, but coppery color sunburst dials - lmk if that’s wrong?)

Are there any other references with factory stone dials?

If you like the stone dials, run-don’t-walk to check out this amazing assortment in the TRF Reference Library, most of which I’ve never even seen IRL - https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=613448
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 53AA988C-317C-4ED8-A88D-C7EFD5F9DC69.jpeg (236.9 KB, 1092 views)
File Type: jpeg 93E48EC6-C45E-4E51-8A66-6E0C35713745.jpeg (257.9 KB, 1092 views)
File Type: jpeg 5472A7AD-9A24-40DA-BEBE-2C672E694F73.jpeg (229.3 KB, 1084 views)
File Type: jpeg 2E07A2CD-6032-4B54-860C-DDCE3C9E44C3.jpeg (186.1 KB, 1081 views)
File Type: jpeg 3B814E33-765F-440C-9893-F132B52F836D.jpeg (223.4 KB, 1088 views)
miamiclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 05:50 AM   #2
mg Barcelona
Banned

cant answer your question but love what you have there. Something so 70's Bond baddy that just works.
mg Barcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 06:13 AM   #3
pepsiretail
Banned

Why does the dial have T Swiss T written on it when I don’t see any lume on it or the hands?
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 07:23 AM   #4
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsiretail View Post
Why does the dial have T Swiss T written on it when I don’t see any lume on it or the hands?
I noticed the same thing!

I don’t think any of these had lume (or indices) on the dial. I’ve seen them both with and without lume hands. Long ago, someone told me that many of these were customer orders, not carried “on spec” by retailers, and that while the hands could be ordered either way, all the dials were printed the same. (I’ve noticed this same thing on no-index onyx dials.)

It could be that the hands were replaced at some point since 1993, my seller was not the original owner. However, it seems reasonably likely that it was made this way, as standard tritium DD hands have never been difficult to get.
Old 18 August 2019, 07:25 AM   #5
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Damn!!!

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 07:46 AM   #6
pepsiretail
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiclay View Post
I noticed the same thing!

I don’t think any of these had lume (or indices) on the dial. I’ve seen them both with and without lume hands. Long ago, someone told me that many of these were customer orders, not carried “on spec” by retailers, and that while the hands could be ordered either way, all the dials were printed the same. (I’ve noticed this same thing on no-index onyx dials.)

It could be that the hands were replaced at some point since 1993, my seller was not the original owner. However, it seems reasonably likely that it was made this way, as standard tritium DD hands have never been difficult to get.
I think that makes sense, it either had tritium hands that were replaced and or the dial was made to accommodate either lumed or non lumed hands.

I think that SearChart/Bas would know.

The dial is superb in any case, nice score
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 03:41 AM   #7
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsiretail View Post
I think that makes sense, it either had tritium hands that were replaced and or the dial was made to accommodate either lumed or non lumed hands.

I think that SearChart/Bas would know.
Yes, likely either Bas / SearChart or crowncollection would know. Paging the pros?
Old 19 August 2019, 05:51 AM   #8
SearChart
TechXpert

I've seen this on other dials without like as well. I think they were just too lazy to make a seperate print for the few dials that don't have lume.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 06:26 PM   #9
SearChart
TechXpert

Here's another dial with T Swiss made T, yet it doesn't have any lume.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 11:18 PM   #10
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Here's another dial with T Swiss made T, yet it doesn't have any lume.

I agree with your earlier post, too.

When the regulations came into being, Rolex likely took the safe route. They likely told all the dial makers to make printing masks with T on it because the handstack may have lume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 02:38 AM   #11
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I agree with your earlier post, too.

When the regulations came into being, Rolex likely took the safe route. They likely told all the dial makers to make printing masks with T on it because the handstack may have lume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Great point !
I think it looks cool anyway, makes it somewhat uniform.
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 03:17 AM   #12
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

There are a few no-lume dials from that era that still had t swiss t on them. I had a no lume Wideboy Datejust.