The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 July 2018, 04:48 PM   #1
askdanny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Clock on my A330
Shipping to avoid local sales tax?

Now that “retail is the new discount”... I’m looking at buying from an AD but... that sales tax is huge on a Rolex.

I travel often and can easily have my “home” AD ship me a watch to a hotel. Or have the out-of-state AD ship it to my home. Have any of you do it — and have you met dealers who allow you to wear the watch while they ship just the box and papers? If I spend the money, I want my new Rolex on my wrist now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2 July 2018, 04:55 PM   #2
MinMay
Banned

It varies, depending on the AD. Some might do it...some won't. You need to ask the AD.

If I own an AD, then I wouldn't ship a watch to a "hotel". You can claim "I never received it" or it was "lost or stolen". I would only ship it to the buyer's address.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 04:55 PM   #3
vipergts66
"TRF" Member

I developed a relationship with a small AD that is now out of state for me. They will sell tax free and overnight to me but require the zip codes to match on delivery address and credit card. Legally they’re required to send the watch and can’t allow you to ship an empty box.
Apple Watch Series 1
vipergts66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 04:56 PM   #4
dubins930
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I live in Washington State, the tax is like 8 percent-ish. I drove down to Portland, stayed in a lovely hotel and still saved like $400 on tax. I don't know about shipping, but even a plane ticket would have saved me money. Your not far out...fly into Oregon and still save a few hundred.
dubins930 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 05:01 PM   #5
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Rolex policy is face to face.

But it does happen. Depends on Ad.

Still supposed to pay the piper tho.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 08:19 PM   #6
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
With the recent Supreme Court ruling on selling to buyers out of state, I imagine after the individual states react to and modify their laws make sure they get their fare share of lost tax dollars, shipping out of state to save the tax will be a thing of the past. The ruling effect more than internet sales.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 08:26 PM   #7
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
You still owe your home state the sales or use tax. The out of state AD doesn't collect tax for your home state, but you are still on the hook to pay it.

It's an honor system at the moment, but if you get caught the system will not look at it as an honest mistake. You'll pay the tax plus fines and their costs to collect.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 09:53 PM   #8
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
You still owe your home state the sales or use tax. The out of state AD doesn't collect tax for your home state, but you are still on the hook to pay it.

It's an honor system at the moment, but if you get caught the system will not look at it as an honest mistake. You'll pay the tax plus fines and their costs to collect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by train-time View Post
With the recent Supreme Court ruling on selling to buyers out of state, I imagine after the individual states react to and modify their laws make sure they get their fare share of lost tax dollars, shipping out of state to save the tax will be a thing of the past. The ruling effect more than internet sales.

This and this ^^^^

Old 2 July 2018, 10:29 PM   #9
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Shipping to avoid local sales tax?

If it is called a sales tax in your State, then the tax is levied against the seller. So the AD is taxed on sales made in the jurisdiction of their place of business and (now that the Supreme Court ruled) anywhere they consummated a sale remotely via shipping a product.

Remember it is the seller’s responsibility to pay a sales tax. The reason they charge you the tax is so they don’t lose margin in the business.

If the States could trust buyers to pay consumption based taxes, then the seller wouldn’t be in the loop at all. And the term would be “purchases tax”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 10:37 PM   #10
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
As Abdullah noted you’re still legally required to remit tax to your state. Does it happen though? All the time. Maybe not for long with avenues for new legislation open.
Old 2 July 2018, 11:17 PM   #11
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I was told by an AD that they will still impose sales tax to a buyer whose address happens to be in a place where the out of state AD has a branch.

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 11:26 PM   #12
gav329
"TRF" Member

Maybe you guys can answer this query. In U.K. we get loads of people from USA and Asia who buy lux goods here including watches then out stupid government gives them 20% tax as a refund. Does that mean they never actually pay tax or do they then get the refund.

I was in USA last year and wanted to buy a new watch however California were going to take my tax, not refund me it then when I would have brought watch to U.K. our greedy government would want tax too.

Can anyone clarify that? Thanks folks

gav329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 11:32 PM   #13
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gav329 View Post
Maybe you guys can answer this query. In U.K. we get loads of people from USA and Asia who buy lux goods here including watches then out stupid government gives them 20% tax as a refund. Does that mean they never actually pay tax or do they then get the refund.

I was in USA last year and wanted to buy a new watch however California were going to take my tax, not refund me it then when I would have brought watch to U.K. our greedy government would want tax too.

Can anyone clarify that? Thanks folks

You dont pay a consumption tax if you are not consuming the product in the UK... you do however pay import duties to the country where the product is going to be used. That is why tourists to the UK get a refund.

You can get a US sales tax exemption if you are exporting it out of the state but you pay it in the state that is is going to or the country it is going to.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 11:34 PM   #14
Rose Gold
"TRF" Member

Watch: er in the rye
I have had two watches shipped out of state. My AD has no problem with shipping out of state. One watch was shipped to Oregon which has no sales tax.

Joe
Old 2 July 2018, 11:42 PM   #15
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I asked to ship my 116710 to ovoid the tax when I bought it from an AD. He was very open to doing this. However, I asked the question if he would ship the box and papers and let me walk out with the watch. I was met with a razzing “that’s illegal” comment from my AD. I deal with the CEO of a mult-chain jewelry store as my AD contact and we have a great relationship.... I ended up folking over the tax and walking out with the watch on my wrist

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 11:48 PM   #16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
I asked to ship my 116710 to ovoid the tax when I bought it from an AD. He was very open to doing this. However, I asked the question if he would ship the box and papers and let me walk out with the watch. I was met with a razzing “that’s illegal” comment from my AD. I deal with the CEO of a mult-chain jewelry store as my AD contact and we have a great relationship.... I ended up folking over the tax and walking out with the watch on my wrist
Why didn't you simply walk out with the B&P and let them ship the watch?
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 11:54 PM   #17
askdanny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Clock on my A330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post

Yep, that’s why the title of my thread is not about avoiding sales tax, but avoiding *local* sales tax.

Old 3 July 2018, 12:05 AM   #18
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
With the new court ruling, I agree that the practice of shipping to avoid sales tax will be gone as soon as logistics take effect. It has been routinely done in the past though with little to no consequence. "Honor" aside, most states have bigger fish to fry than chasing down an individual watch purchase to collect taxes.
When I bought my BLNR, the AD offered to ship it to my sister in CA. They would ship it in its coffin, I could take the boxes and papers home. I was too impatient so I paid the tax and walked out with my watch.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 12:08 AM   #19
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Why didn't you simply walk out with the B&P and let them ship the watch?
Sorry, I might not have been clear. The AD said he would have to ship with watch with the B&Ps to ovoid the tax. He was not willing to just ship the B&Ps

It was all or nothing

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 12:14 AM   #20
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
Sorry, I might not have been clear. The AD said he would have to ship with watch with the B&Ps to ovoid the tax. He was not willing to just ship the B&Ps

It was all or nothing
I'm surprised he wouldn't send you with B&P and ship the watch. I'd still have had it shipped unless you lived too far from the destination address for it to make sense.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 12:19 AM   #21
mulgogy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollies
Just going to leave this here...

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/05/b...-tax-case.html
mulgogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 12:20 AM   #22
REFZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Rolex Way
The sales tax in the US is relatively low compared to the VAT you have to pay in Europe.
The VAT in Europe is between 20-25% depending on the country you buy the watch.

Just pay your taxes and don't complain about it if you want to wear a luxury item like a Rolex watch.
Old 3 July 2018, 12:22 AM   #23
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulgogy View Post
Old 3 July 2018, 12:57 AM   #24
Rose Gold
"TRF" Member

He had empty crates shipped... significantly different than shipping the actual paintings. I need to read the new law to see if it applies to online purchases only.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulgogy View Post
Old 3 July 2018, 01:03 AM   #25
mulgogy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Gold View Post
He had empty crates shipped... significantly different than shipping the actual paintings. I need to read the new law to see if it applies to online purchases only.

Joe
More of a response to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by askdanny View Post
and have you met dealers who allow you to wear the watch while they ship just the box and papers? If I spend the money, I want my new Rolex on my wrist now

mulgogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 01:04 AM   #26
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
How far of a drive is Oregon for you? No sales tax.

Bought my first from an AD in Delaware for that reason
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 01:19 AM   #27
Rose Gold
"TRF" Member

I just read the Wayfair Supreme Court ruling found here:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...7-494_j4el.pdf

It is very clear that this ruling is very narrow, and in most cases, will require states to model their tax code after South Dakota’s tax code in order to be covered by this ruling. Additionally, South Dakota’s law allows a seller with less than $100k worth of sales in a state not to pay taxes.

I suspect that many ADs do not ship $100k worth of watches to any particular state... my AD in NC shipped zero dollars into Arizona before my purchase this year.

To summarize this succinctly; this narrow ruling will require MANY years to flesh out the details, more rulings as states change their laws and respond to lawsuits related to the Wayfair ruling. ANY AD which references Wayfair as a reason not to ship a watch to another state is simply being lazy. EVEN if Wayfair were to apply (which in most cases it will not), the purchaser is required to pay the taxes independent of whether or not the seller collects the tax.

Joe
Old 3 July 2018, 01:28 AM   #28
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
How far of a drive is Oregon for you? No sales tax.

Bought my first from an AD in Delaware for that reason
You should carefully check the tax laws concerning “use tax” if your state imposes a sales tax. If you purchase an item in a state with lower (or no) sales tax, you owe the amount of tax difference. As states like NY, NJ or other states become more desperate for tax income, they become more sophisticated at collecting it. Avoiding 8-10% of taxes on a $10-15000 item is suddenly not chump change for them.
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 01:41 AM   #29
Bobby T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by askdanny View Post
Now that “retail is the new discount”... I’m looking at buying from an AD but... that sales tax is huge on a Rolex.

I travel often and can easily have my “home” AD ship me a watch to a hotel. Or have the out-of-state AD ship it to my home. Have any of you do it — and have you met dealers who allow you to wear the watch while they ship just the box and papers? If I spend the money, I want my new Rolex on my wrist now

It use to be common practice.......most ADs won't do it anymore.
Bobby T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 01:44 AM   #30
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltonbalch View Post
You should carefully check the tax laws concerning “use tax” if your state imposes a sales tax. If you purchase an item in a state with lower (or no) sales tax, you owe the amount of tax difference. As states like NY, NJ or other states become more desperate for tax income, they become more sophisticated at collecting it. Avoiding 8-10% of taxes on a $10-15000 item is suddenly not chump change for them.
I hear you. It's extremely common here for people from Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and even further out to buy big ticket items in Delaware. You would be amazed how many furniture stores are located just a few miles into DE from the nearest state line. Agree that at some point these other states will start positioning police at the borders collecting taxes from people coming across the line with sofas sticking out the back of their SUV's

Luckily watches are a little more inconspicuous than king size beds...
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote