The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 December 2018, 05:55 AM   #121
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
As 037 mentioned, your watch weighs nowhere near half a kilo, I have trouble understanding how both a scientist and engineer would be happy with such a slap dash starting point for this exercise unless you’re the types of sciency people who don’t necessarily believe in numbers and math #maga
Old 30 December 2018, 06:03 AM   #122
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessofWinward View Post
And yes....if Rolex’s advertising claims were not correct, I would have pursued a false advertising claim.
As previously explained, Rolex's claims have to do with the ability of the movement to withstand shocks during normal use. They do not address what might happen to a crystal and gold case and bracelet when the watch is dropped on a tile floor - which, by the way, is not considered normal use.

On that last note, I have forwarded this thread to the CEO of Rolex as evidence that you have a history of dropping fine watches on tile floors but have not implemented remedial measures to prevent the practice from recurring, such that he might use the evidence in a comparative negligence defense. I see your engineer and raise you a lawyer.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 06:05 AM   #123
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
As previously explained, Rolex's claims have to do with the ability of the movement to withstand shocks during normal use. They do not address what might happen to a crystal and gold case and bracelet when the watch is dropped on a tile floor - which, by the way, is not considered normal use.

On that last note, I have forwarded this thread to the CEO of Rolex as evidence that you have a history of dropping fine watches on tile floors but have not implemented remedial measures to prevent the practice from recurring, such that he might use the evidence in a comparative negligence defense. I see your engineer and raise you a lawyer.

i really want someone to sue Rolex as it gets thrown around a lot here. False advertising, holding warranty cards, they stole my stickers, they won't sell me a daytona even though they advertise it being for sale. It would be like a reality TV show

Zero chance anyone but Rolex would win
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 06:09 AM   #124
Chilly Coconut
Banned

Quote:
Dude...I am a scientist....I find it interesting.
Wait...I thought you were a Duchess!
Chilly Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 06:14 AM   #125
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Coconut View Post
Wait...I thought you were a Duchess!
any relation to Lord Woodford MBE? For anyone who remembers that former member
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 30 December 2018, 06:25 AM   #126
Reddy_Kilowatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16220 & 216570
Quote:
...I wrote the CEO of Rolex to say I was not happy with the lack of durability of this watch....
Please post the response.
Reddy_Kilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 06:28 AM   #127
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:

CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 06:50 AM   #128
DuchessofWinward
"TRF" Member

What would be your calculation? I don't have the deflection value of the tile. And guessed 0.5 kg (227g). I am open to alternate calculations
DuchessofWinward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 06:51 AM   #129
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What would be your calculation? I don't have the deflection value of the tile. And guessed 0.5 kg (227g). I am open to alternate calculations
what did they say on the physics forum?
Old 30 December 2018, 06:53 AM   #130
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Oh lord, close this silliness already. A grown woman not accepting responsibility for dropping her watch we still don't even know exists. Even if it did exist, it's the first rule of growing up, taking responsibility for your own actions.
You dropped it, you have a history of dropping watches, stop dropping watches, ma'am. You'll see a scientifically proven effect if you don't drop your watch on a hard surface, no damage to your watch.

It's actually embarrassing to read about hiring an engineer, for which the math doesn't add up and you don't need to be an engineer to know that...why, because when you start by saying "assuming the weight is"...everything else is nonsense.
What self respecting bragger of owning many expensive watches will pay for this analytical process but comes on a forum to whine about repair costs and not using their insurance because the premium may go up.
To be honest, it's almost insulting at this point that we are expected to take all this serious.

And guess what, I'm not a scientist but common sense says if you drop a gold watch on the floor, it may break. I'm not a boxer or fighter, but I bet that same Rolex that a punch in the face from a UFC fighter will hurt. If you don't believe that, I don't believe this story or that some substance isn't being consumed that alters perception.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 06:54 AM   #131
DuchessofWinward
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorradoBrit View Post
And I will quote statistics on the global increase of use of tile floors vs other materials (double digit increases over 10 years). And that dropping an object is a normal act of a human. Take that!
Old 30 December 2018, 06:55 AM   #132
DuchessofWinward
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Oh lord, close this silliness already. A grown woman not accepting responsibility for dropping her watch we still don't even know exists. Even if it did exist, it's the first rule of growing up, taking responsibility for your own actions.
You dropped it, you have a history of dropping watches, stop dropping watches, ma'am. You'll see a scientifically proven effect if you don't drop your watch on a hard surface, no damage to your watch.

It's actually embarrassing to read about hiring an engineer, for which the math doesn't add up and you don't need to be an engineer to know that...why, because when you start by saying "assuming the weight is"...everything else is nonsense.
What self respecting bragger of owning many expensive watches will pay for this analytical process but comes on a forum to whine about repair costs and not using their insurance because the premium may go up.
To be honest, it's almost insulting at this point that we are expected to take all this serious.

And guess what, I'm not a scientist but common sense says if you drop a gold watch on the floor, it may break. I'm not a boxer or fighter, but I bet that same Rolex that a punch in the face from a UFC fighter will hurt. If you don't believe that, I don't believe this story or that some substance isn't being consumed that alters perception.
I wish this wasn't true.
Old 30 December 2018, 07:02 AM   #133
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
And I will quote statistics on the global increase of use of tile floors vs other materials (double digit increases over 10 years). And that dropping an object is a normal act of a human. Take that!
Doesn't change the fact that your lawsuit would be completely frivolous (much like this thread), would be thrown out as such, and would leave you on the hook for Rolex's court costs and attorneys' fees. But hey, it would be worth it to avoid putting a claim on your insurance and seeing your premiums jacked, right?
Old 30 December 2018, 07:03 AM   #134
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

DuchessofWinward? More like DuchessofTrolls

Hopefully normal service will resume shortly.....
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 07:07 AM   #135
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Honestly, it's hard to give you an exact number without knowing the exact values for the watch weight, damage to case (again, measuring via CMM), drop height, parabolic angle of travel, damage in the tile (if any), if it was dropped (gravity) or thrown (acceleration), etc. The input values have to be VERY specific to net a specific answer. Otherwise you're making a guess at best. I'm not going to fudge guesswork numbers myself since the results would vary wildly as a result. For all I know I might come closer to 50G rather than 5000G.

If I had to guess based on previously designing airborne items that impact other airborne items, 50~500G is more likely but not 5000. But, that's nothing more than a guess. Besides, if another engineer got paid for this then it would be rather odd for anyone here to do it for free.

I assume your watch still runs? If so then it survived the crash as advertised, although that advertisement is debatable at best. The chassis is always the expendable item protecting the "stuff" inside. Consider a car crash in this example.

Good luck with your repair.

Last edited by 037; 30 December 2018 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: Ran some numbers in my head and edited accordingly
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 07:22 AM   #136
DuchessofWinward
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Honestly, it's hard to give you an exact number without knowing the exact values for the watch weight, damage to case (again, measuring via CMM), drop height, parabolic angle of travel, damage in the tile (if any), if it was dropped (gravity) or thrown (acceleration), etc. The input values have to be VERY specific to net a specific answer. Otherwise you're making a guess at best. I'm not going to fudge guesswork numbers myself since the results would vary wildly as a result. For all I know I might come closer to 50G rather than 5000G.

If I had to guess based on previously designing airborne items that impact other airborne items, 50~500G is more likely but not 5000. But, that's nothing more than a guess. Besides, if another engineer got paid for this then it would be rather odd for anyone here to do it for free.

I assume your watch still runs? If so then it survived the crash as advertised, although that advertisement is debatable at best. The chassis is always the expendable item protecting the "stuff" inside. Consider a car crash in this example.

Good luck with your repair.

2-3 months for its return :(
Old 30 December 2018, 07:34 AM   #137
billbaytoven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
See there's your problem right there, as others have said. You guessed the weight of your rolex all wrong. 0.5kg is not 227 grams, 0.5kg is actually closer to 212 grams. Your equations should work properly if you now plug in the accurate guessed weight for a half kilo or 212 gram (which is same thing) wristwatch.
billbaytoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 07:36 AM   #138
DuchessofWinward
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Doesn't change the fact that your lawsuit would be completely frivolous (much like this thread), would be thrown out as such, and would leave you on the hook for Rolex's court costs and attorneys' fees. But hey, it would be worth it to avoid putting a claim on your insurance and seeing your premiums jacked, right?
Sorry-I have an alternate ending...if the case is THAT fragile, then they have options for the metal they use to mix to go from 24Kt to 18kt. For example, platinum is now being mixed with cobalt. Making platinum jewelry stronger than ever before. Nickel or zinc might be options too. At the end of the day, if the watch can't be used normally, then it needs improvement. And if it "depends on what the definition of 'normal use' is" then it also isn't durable enough.
Old 30 December 2018, 07:37 AM   #139
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
2-3 months for its return :(
I'm guessing that's due to ordering a new bezel and possibly a new case. Most everything else should be in stock.

Who knows... it could come back sooner. I've seen recent RSC quotes happen sooner than estimated.

Quote:
Sorry-I have an alternate ending...if the case is THAT fragile, then they have options for the metal they use to mix to go from 24Kt to 18kt. For example, platinum is now being mixed with cobalt. Making platinum jewelry stronger than ever before. Nickel or zinc might be options too. At the end of the day, if the watch can't be used normally, then it needs improvement. And if it "depends on what the definition of 'normal use' is" then it also isn't durable enough.
Perhaps, but that would also be akin to expecting a car to survive a crash unscathed and all passengers to survive without trauma. Unfortunately physics says something has to give. Energy must be transferred. Crashing two hard objects into one another doesn't leave any room for said energy to be absorbed. Rather, it's transferred. Making a gold case harder is going in the wrong direction as that assumes it will then be strong enough to crack your tile AND have the movement inside survive without parts breaking. Without some sort of damping device between the movement and case, that's not happening.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 07:44 AM   #140
Watchie
"TRF" Member

Could it be that the shock and drop tests that Rolex performs are related to the movement? Put another way, any representations made are with regard to the movement coming out undamaged, not the case or crystal? As to the cost to repair, I suspect you will be getting a new case and a new bezel...
Watchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 07:46 AM   #141
tie219
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 GMT, BBR
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
any relation to Lord Woodford MBE? For anyone who remembers that former member
Haha yes I have read that thread. Pretty spot on
tie219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 07:51 AM   #142
Reddy_Kilowatt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Come on, you're still trolling, right? Do all the calculations you want, offer up the increasing use of hard surfaces for flooring, suggest that stronger materials should be used, write a letter to Rolex, threaten a lawsuit, etc. You dropped your effing watch onto the floor and it broke. Any discussion beyond that is just stupid.
Old 30 December 2018, 07:52 AM   #143
Reddy_Kilowatt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oh, and dropping your watch isn't normal use.
Old 30 December 2018, 07:56 AM   #144
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
I'm not a scientist, and have the good sense not to try to educate you on matters of science, where I would only reveal myself to be out of my depth. Unfortunately, you don't exercise the same sense when discussing legal matters with me.

See: Dunning-Kruger effect.
Old 30 December 2018, 08:00 AM   #145
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
using the watch normally doesn't involve dropping it on a tile floor...
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 08:02 AM   #146
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm not a scientist, and have the good sense not to try to educate you on matters of science, where I would only reveal myself to be out of my depth. Unfortunately, you don't exercise the same sense when discussing legal matters with me.

See: Dunning-Kruger effect.

Old 30 December 2018, 08:03 AM   #147
Marcela
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbaytoven View Post
See there's your problem right there, as others have said. You guessed the weight of your rolex all wrong. 0.5kg is not 227 grams, 0.5kg is actually closer to 212 grams. Your equations should work properly if you now plug in the accurate guessed weight for a half kilo or 212 gram (which is same thing) wristwatch.

0.5 kg = 500g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30 December 2018, 08:04 AM   #148
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Over the years, decades actually, of armchair horology I’ve learned one inescapable fact. Tile floors are the watch killer.
Before getting my Day Date, I’m ripping the tile out of my bathroom floor and putting in some nice wood planks.
You can take that advice to the bank.
You’re welcome.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 08:04 AM   #149
Reddy_Kilowatt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcela View Post
0.5 kg = 500g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's pretty amazing that someone can cock up that "conversion".
Old 30 December 2018, 08:11 AM   #150
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaxxxl View Post
I have an interesting question. I have learned rolex doesn't like their parts in the wild and will keep the replaced parts. If rolex is keeping the old gold case and the old diamond bezel, do they credit the consumer and if so how do they calculate how much? The case and bezel are clearly worth good money.
Genuine Case and Bracelet parts are priced on an exchange basis.
Rolex simply sets the prices as they see fit.
They charge what they charge because they can.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote