The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 August 2019, 12:11 PM   #1
zackontherun
"TRF" Member

Mint 2014 submariner(114060) from reputable grey

Hi,

So I just bought a 114060 mint from a reputable grey and recently I found that after I set the time accurate to “time.is” website. It runs about +5-6 secs everyday. Is this something I should be worried about? the grey dealer said only preventive maintenance have been done. Also, if I’m okay with the slightly faster timings then when should i bring it in for maintenance? Or maybe how should I know when it’s due for maintenance? I read that if you don’t, the watch’s longevity might be “shortened”. Should I be worried?

Thurs morning set time.
Sat night discovered that it’s +17sec, winded power reserve around 20 rounds
Sun morning discovered that it’s +22 sec

Sorry newbie here.
zackontherun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 12:35 PM   #2
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
That's not too bad; a bit outside of COSC specs and what the watch is supposed to deliver.

Do you know how old the watch is? Also if it has sat for awhile it might take a month or so of wear to settle down.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 12:41 PM   #3
zackontherun
"TRF" Member

The watch is around 5 years old I guess since it’s 2014 model. I’m not too particular about the accuracy as long as it doesn’t mean my watch is defective. I’m currently using it as a weekend watch so I only wear it on Fridays, sat sun.
Old 4 August 2019, 01:05 PM   #4
billfredericks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Milgauss
May take a while to “settle in.” Give it a week, but don’t be afraid to let the dealer know ASAP that you may have concerns.
billfredericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 01:18 PM   #5
zackontherun
"TRF" Member

Hi I actually bought it around 1 month ago and have been only wearing it on Fridays and weekends
Old 4 August 2019, 02:04 PM   #6
mtheard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer
When I took my 16610 to be appraised at my local AD, the Rolex watchmaker on site came out and talked to me about it. She said she put it on a timer and it was running +6.5 seconds. I asked her if she would service it right then and she said absolutely not. She said if it started to slip and lose/gain more time, service it. But if it stays steady, keep wearing it until it loses or gains time. She caveated it with that is a personal decision and that she'd gladly service it that week.

Personally? I think wear it and enjoy it. However, if that time slip bothers you, service it. I can understand it bothering you. My Explorer and Speedmaster are nearly +/- 0 so when I wear my Sub, I can notice its time keeping difference.
mtheard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 03:20 PM   #7
Hutrmila
"TRF" Member

Mint 2014 submariner(114060) from reputable grey

No acceptable ! ... I bought already three used/grey market Rolex ... DJ(2010), Sub(2014) and GMT(2005) ... got all of serviced at AD and they all “tick” within +/- 2 sec when wearing them ... get it served and adjusted / some parts might also need replacement ... worth to do It ... servicing Rolex is part of TCO eventually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hutrmila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 03:29 PM   #8
hbk75
Banned

I will just wear it. I have been complaint about my 2014 14060 which is running plus 4 seconds constantly. My black Bay 41 is even more accurate than the submariner.
hbk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 11:37 PM   #9
zackontherun
"TRF" Member

Will probably bring it back to the grey to have a look since its still under 1 year warranty. Its currently running 26.5 secs faster. Its around 9pm now on a sunday and I just set the time on thurs morning lol
Old 4 August 2019, 11:58 PM   #10
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
"Preventative maintenance" ..Thats grey talk for having his own "watch maker" look at the watch .
You have to accept that if this guy changes some parts to non Rolex,this will be replaced by RSC at high cost .
You have to accept that buying from a grey a 5 year old watch may need RSC servive anyway .

I would have RSC service it and then you get it back like it should be .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2019, 12:02 AM   #11
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
If the amplitude and beat rate are within spec I'd not mess with it.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2019, 02:08 AM   #12
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackontherun View Post
Will probably bring it back to the grey to have a look since its still under 1 year warranty. Its currently running 26.5 secs faster. Its around 9pm now on a sunday and I just set the time on thurs morning lol
Something to bring up here. If it is running fast the same amount (within a second or two) every 24 hours then there is probably nothing seriously wrong. If it is running erratically (like +5 one day and +12 the next), then it might be indicative of more serious problems.

Something else to keep in mind. If you got a good deal on the watch and are happy with it you might want to think about paying for a real service yourself. A dealer might spring for a service or they might just do the least expensive thing necessary to keep the watch running.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2019, 02:15 AM   #13
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
I would not send a watch for service if running a *consistent* +5 seconds per day. The less a watch is opened the better.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2019, 02:32 AM   #14
johnjm
"TRF" Member

I'd return it. If I'm buying grey and a premium to boot (assuming) I'd expect it to run within Rolex spec and be serviced by a qualified AD with a warranty.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 5 August 2019, 02:38 AM   #15
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
"Preventative maintenance" ..Thats grey talk for having his own "watch maker" look at the watch .
You have to accept that if this guy changes some parts to non Rolex,this will be replaced by RSC at high cost .
You have to accept that buying from a grey a 5 year old watch may need RSC servive anyway .

I would have RSC service it and then you get it back like it should be .
I think anytime you buy a pre owned piece, it may need service. would probably do as mentioned above and then the watch has greater value, and operates they way it should, and now has RSC warranty.
Old 5 August 2019, 02:39 AM   #16
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
I bought a late model pre-C SD from a dealer (My first and last used Rolex.Always buy AD)
No box and papers,but 2019 RSC service card .
1) Ran +6/day
2) Bracelet was from an older SD from the 90s
Returned it,got a full refund
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 12:01 AM   #17
zackontherun
"TRF" Member

Currently, its monday night at around 10pm and its 35 secs faster wow
Old 6 August 2019, 04:29 AM   #18
Mr.Rolex1
Banned

Watch: Submariner
I wouldn't be overly concerned

If accuracy is paramount then you should consider an atomic or smart watch
Mr.Rolex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 06:08 AM   #19
GarbanzoNegro
"TRF" Member

Should be +/-2 secs/day. I would let an AD check it.
GarbanzoNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 06:26 AM   #20
quadraaa
"TRF" Member

In 2014 they were within COSC, not -2/+2.
I've purchased a Sub from 2013 recently. It is consistently gaining ~3.8s per day and I am fine with it.
quadraaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 06:37 AM   #21
Mr.Rolex1
Banned

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraaa View Post
In 2014 they were within COSC, not -2/+2.
I've purchased a Sub from 2013 recently. It is consistently gaining ~3.8s per day and I am fine with it.
Rolex.com still says -2/+2
Mr.Rolex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 06:51 AM   #22
quadraaa
"TRF" Member

That is true for the watches being produced now.
Here is an article dedicated to the improved standardization (dated Feb 2016):
https://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-e...n-house-tests/
quadraaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 07:17 AM   #23
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Rolex1 View Post
Rolex.com still says -2/+2

The website refers to current movements. That accuracy goal is not retroactive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2019, 01:54 AM   #24
Hutrmila
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm View Post
I'd return it. If I'm buying grey and a premium to boot (assuming) I'd expect it to run within Rolex spec and be serviced by a qualified AD with a warranty.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hutrmila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 12:23 AM   #25
zackontherun
"TRF" Member

I brought it back to the grey and they said that for second hand watches as long as its below +20/d its normal. He also showed me that mine was +13/d and the time graph had all the dots lined up straight. So it looks pretty normal. He said the movement is good but he can calibrate it for me if I want. One question is..Does the accuracy of the watch affect the value of it? Just in case I want to sell it next time.
Old 24 August 2019, 12:55 AM   #26
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackontherun View Post
Hi,

So I just bought a 114060 mint from a reputable grey and recently I found that after I set the time accurate to “time.is” website. It runs about +5-6 secs everyday. Is this something I should be worried about? the grey dealer said only preventive maintenance have been done. Also, if I’m okay with the slightly faster timings then when should i bring it in for maintenance? Or maybe how should I know when it’s due for maintenance? I read that if you don’t, the watch’s longevity might be “shortened”. Should I be worried?

Thurs morning set time.
Sat night discovered that it’s +17sec, winded power reserve around 20 rounds
Sun morning discovered that it’s +22 sec

Sorry newbie here.
The bare uncased movements are still tested at the COSC to a Average of -4+6 seconds over any 24 hour period to get its certifaction. And in the first 10 days of testing at the COSC the movement could vary by up the 10 seconds on any single 24 hour period and still pass the COSC test.After testing movements shipped back to Rolex then stored till matched to a case.Rolex retests movement it its case perhaps many at a time in a controlled environment to this -2+2 spec.And just like the COSC test watch could pass at time of testing.But on the wrist there are many variables like friction, mainspring power-reserve,gravity,different temperatures,subtle changes in oil lubrication and so on.And just because it was tested to -2+2 and passed on the machine, this dont always mean it will will perform exactly the same every day on the wrist. Consistency is one of the most important things with mechanical watches and will run better when mainspring is at peak power-reserve kept fully wound.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 12:56 AM   #27
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
+/-20 sec/day is NOT normal for a Rolex. Maybe other crappy watches it is.

Regardless, sounds like he is willing to calibrate it for you, which I personally would not do but that's up to you. If you only wear it on weekends, it really doesn't matter, unless you leave it on a winder all week.

When you go to sell it, a 5 second discrepancy may not matter much. Boxes, warranty card, etc. are much more important, at least in the USA and Europe.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 01:03 AM   #28
zackontherun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
+/-20 sec/day is NOT normal for a Rolex. Maybe other crappy watches it is.

Regardless, sounds like he is willing to calibrate it for you, which I personally would not do but that's up to you. If you only wear it on weekends, it really doesn't matter, unless you leave it on a winder all week.

When you go to sell it, a 5 second discrepancy may not matter much. Boxes, warranty card, etc. are much more important, at least in the USA and Europe.

Its +13secs/day now. I left it there to let his technicians calibrate it. Its a reputable grey with pretty good reviews tho. May I ask why wouldn't you let him calibrate if it were you?
Old 24 August 2019, 01:03 AM   #29
TreiseKL
"TRF" Member

It is very difficult for Grey Market dealers to do anything about seconds/day being within Rolex standards of TODAY which is +2/-2. That isn't to say the Newer Rolex that they are selling shouldn't be running as well, infact they would charge a massive premium for newer models and you should expect +2/-2. However, for 2014 models, Rolex still went by COSC standards which is +6/-4 in 2014. The changeover to +2/-2 happened in 2015.

Rolex encases movement, ensures each axis/angle the watch rests in the opposites of which cancel out, for example if right is +1s/d the left should be -1s/d, then ensures movement runs to their standards in two temperatures.

Your watch certainly can be regulated to better standards. My 16610 from 30 years ago ran around +0.3 seconds/day.
Old 24 August 2019, 01:05 AM   #30
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

13 seconds a day is meaningfully worse than the movement can achieve, but I personally wouldn't open it unless there's evidence of something actually wrong with the movement.

Remember, when new in 2014 the watch was only guaranteed to +6, and only for the two-year warranty period. For it to be +13 now is correctable, but not so terribly out-of-spec that I personally would consider it worth opening the watch. It'll be due for service in a few years and you could get it corrected then.

But, as long as it's a reputable dealer, there's almost certainly no harm in getting it done now. You want to minimize how often the watch is opened and tinkered with, but it's not really a big deal.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote