The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 August 2019, 12:55 AM   #1
Daniel23456
"TRF" Member

Stiff/sticky bezel underwater

Guys,
I wanted to know if what I am experiencing is normal...
The Bezel of my Tudor Pelagos feels awesome as you might have heard or felt for those who handled one. When it gets wet though, for example operating it under the sink, it doesn't feel smooth, feels sticky, grints and like stuck... When it gets dry or when adding soap to the mix it feels fine again... I have never had a diver that I actually used underwater, but feels weird that it happens... I looked for some similar problems, and found some people saying the same thing. One of them said that he went to his AD and the AD said that it's normal and the tolerances are so tight that even a drop of water can make it jam... Sounds kinda weird to me... I would love to have some info if anyone has... Thanks!
Daniel23456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 02:02 AM   #2
scurfa
"TRF" Member

I used the Pelagos as my work dive watch when it came out a few years ago, I rinsed it with fresh water and it was fine, is it possible yours has a build up of grime caused by salt water or chlorine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 August 2019, 02:08 AM   #3
Daniel23456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfa View Post
I used the Pelagos as my work dive watch when it came out a few years ago, I rinsed it with fresh water and it was fine, is it possible yours has a build up of grime caused by salt water or chlorine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the Reply,
I doubt that... It happened when I didn't even go to the beach or anything... Just from getting wet at the sink...
RSC did take my bezel off and put it back on though... When I serviced it under warranty... So maybe there something happened? But it operated just fine, and after I put it in warm water with soap it got fine again... But now every time it gets wet, the same thing happens...
Old 28 August 2019, 02:32 AM   #4
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel23456 View Post
Thanks for the Reply,
I doubt that... It happened when I didn't even go to the beach or anything... Just from getting wet at the sink...
RSC did take my bezel off and put it back on though... When I serviced it under warranty... So maybe there something happened? But it operated just fine, and after I put it in warm water with soap it got fine again... But now every time it gets wet, the same thing happens...
It must have a problem, the soap will be acting as a lubricant for a while then it’s probably making it worse, I no longer wear mine but the bezel works perfect and in my opinion has the best bezel action I have come across, is it possible the bezel could of got hit and it’s been knocked out of shape?
Old 28 August 2019, 02:58 AM   #5
R G
Banned

Nope, it’s pretty normal in my experience for a completely normal and functioning bezel to feel grittier and harder to turn when submerged or even heavily soaked in water.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 03:39 AM   #6
Daniel23456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfa View Post
It must have a problem, the soap will be acting as a lubricant for a while then it’s probably making it worse, I no longer wear mine but the bezel works perfect and in my opinion has the best bezel action I have come across, is it possible the bezel could of got hit and it’s been knocked out of shape?
Looks like everything is really fine with the bezel in terms of how it sits and all... I am really clueless at that point...
Old 28 August 2019, 03:40 AM   #7
Daniel23456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R G View Post
Nope, it’s pretty normal in my experience for a completely normal and functioning bezel to feel grittier and harder to turn when submerged or even heavily soaked in water.
I wonder how gritty we're talking about... I feel like it is not supposed to be like that... But operates just fine when dry...
Old 28 August 2019, 03:43 AM   #8
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Clean it up under the bezel. It got dirty
Old 28 August 2019, 04:28 AM   #9
R G
Banned

Quote:
I wonder how gritty we're talking about... I feel like it is not supposed to be like that... But operates just fine when dry...
Gritty. A tolerance when you turn the bezel, grainy feeling.

It happens with some bezels when wet.
Old 28 August 2019, 06:39 AM   #10
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

My guess is the temperature of the water may be more important than the water itself.

Either way, get the bezel off, clean all the surfaces and reinstall.

The buildup of sunscreen, sweat, regular dust and dirt makes a nice goo that’ll stay relatively compliant at room temperature. But cold water or any temp below 90° is going to turn it into a gel-like material that resists movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 07:06 AM   #11
Mr.Rolex1
Banned

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post
Clean it up under the bezel. It got dirty
Same as a Sub
Mr.Rolex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 09:12 AM   #12
Daniel23456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
My guess is the temperature of the water may be more important than the water itself.

Either way, get the bezel off, clean all the surfaces and reinstall.

The buildup of sunscreen, sweat, regular dust and dirt makes a nice goo that’ll stay relatively compliant at room temperature. But cold water or any temp below 90° is going to turn it into a gel-like material that resists movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Even though it is ceramic? I think I will just go to an RSC and see what's the deal with that... I can't think of a reason why it would be dirty from the underside as I didn't do anything special with the watch, which is really suspicious to me... But on the other hand, what else can it be ... Thanks!
Old 28 August 2019, 03:55 PM   #13
R G
Banned

Quote:
Even though it is ceramic? I think I will just go to an RSC and see what's the deal with that... I can't think of a reason why it would be dirty from the underside as I didn't do anything special with the watch, which is really suspicious to me... But on the other hand, what else can it be ... Thanks!

It’s not dirt.

Let us know how you get on with that.
Old 28 August 2019, 09:13 PM   #14
Daniel23456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R G View Post
It’s not dirt.

Let us know how you get on with that.
That's my guess too...
I am flying abroad for two weeks and then I'll put it at my local RSC. Promise to update. Cheers
Old 2 November 2021, 01:52 PM   #15
MikeRomeo
"TRF" Member

Same experience with my new LHD

Hi Daniel23456,
I recently purchased an LHD and took it diving for the first time (in seawater). I experience the same difficulty to operate the bezel when the watch is submerged and even after the dive while the watch is still wet. I assume it has to do with materials and tight tolerances of the bezel. After thorough rinsing and drying the bezel runs smooth again. I didn’t experience this with any other diver from seiko or oris and assume it is something the designers of tudor overlooked.

I am curious to know if you found any resolution to the problem since you open this thread in 2019?
MikeRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote