The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 August 2019, 11:26 PM   #1
Chadsjones11
"TRF" Member

Facing a conundrum

Hello everyone. I hope you're all having an amazing day and wearing your beautiful watches in great health.

So about 1 month ago I went to the Rolex boutique in town and was told I could put 10% down on a bluesy Submariner that would arrive no more than 6 months later. At the same time I had also put my name down at a local AD for the same watch. 2 weeks ago the local AD calls me and let's me know that a bluesy has come in and it's mine if I want it. This being my first Rolex purchase, of course I go into the local AD to try it on. As soon as it's on my wrist I know there's no way I leave that AD without owning my very first Rolex.

So now I am not sure what my next move is with the boutique. I want to build a good relationship with them and don't want to get started on the wrong foot. Should I go to the boutique and let my SA know that I was able to get the watch and that I would like to see if I can apply it towards a different watch if possible? Caveating that I am happy to honor the commitment I made to her, but would most likely end up trading or selling the watch on the grey market after honoring the purchase commitment. 13.4k is more than I can afford to give away as a gift and I have no business having 2 bluesys. I would rather she could sell it to someone that would keep it and would enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.

Or should I just play dumb, pay for the rest of the watch when it comes in, sell or trade it and then stay silent to having done so?
I mean I could always send in pictures of me wearing my bluesy to the SA if I really wanted to. But as I said earlier, I want to build a good relationship with my SA and I don't think lies are the foundation of any good relationship. Curious what you would do if you were in my situation.
Chadsjones11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 12:05 AM   #2
JodyHighroller
Banned

They should be able to apply that deposit to another watch with no problem. Don't overthink it. They'll be happy you want to purchase another watch being you already sourced a bluesy. BTW, why don't you just continue to do business with the local AD where you sourced the watch from?

Also, I bet that boutique is actually owned by another local AD, if not, the same one.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 12:20 AM   #3
ROA
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
I am assuming the deposit is refundable? You can always take it back unless you are ready to purchase another (or the same) piece from the boutique? It looks like the local AD is able to allocate in a shorter time so why not just continue the relationship with them?
ROA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 12:28 AM   #4
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
I don't see anything wrong with telling the truth and taking the deposit back; the boutique apparent has not received the watch yet.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 12:31 AM   #5
Ragnarok
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3714 Portugieser
Quite frankly, if it's a special order to rolex. It will be non-refundable and they will ask you to pay for the entire cost of the watch upon arrival. I'm hopeful your ad does things differently

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 12:31 AM   #6
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Shouldn't be a problem applying the deposit to another watch.
Old 29 August 2019, 12:35 AM   #7
minke19104
"TRF" Member

The Bluesy is awesome. i just got mine recently as well. Congrats.

I would just ask for a refund from the first AD
minke19104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 01:07 AM   #8
BT1985
"TRF" Member

You have two wrists don’t you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 01:12 AM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Tell the truth, if no one has wronged you then they deserve at least that. AD should appreciate it.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 01:15 AM   #10
Chadsjones11
"TRF" Member

Technically, I think my deposit constitutes a special order and therefore might not be refundable. Since the boutique I placed the deposit with is a Rolex boutique my thought was that they'd get more quantities of the harder to obtain watches out there in the long run. The AD that sourced the bluesy for me already has me on all their lists and I am quite certain than my next watch will take at least a year to source if not longer so I would like to have as many good relationships with as many ADs as possible. With all that said, I am loving my new watch and no matter what happens that won't change and I am not looking for an immediate next purchase, but know how long it takes to find even a black SS skydweller and any ss professional series timepiece. I'll just be honest with them and roll with the punches and hope they appreciate my honesty.
Chadsjones11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 01:17 AM   #11
REDiesel
"TRF" Member

Watch: GV 18038 DJ Smurf
I'd wear your current one until the new one comes in, and then sell the one you got first. You get however many months of wear erased, build a relationship with both, and hopefully break even or make a few dollars.
REDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 01:24 AM   #12
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
I definitely wouldn't try and flip the second (or first?) one, since the market rate for two tone isn't as strong as SS is. Just be honest, and even though it was a special order, they will be able to sell it, no problem, and shouldn't have any issues applying your deposit to another watch. That's basically a guaranteed sale later on for them, and that's their business model, me thinks.

At then end of the day, they aren't going to make you buy a watch you don't want/need, even with a deposit. Rolex HQ probably wouldn't like that business practice...
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 01:28 AM   #13
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Be honest, cancel the order, get your deposit refunded.

I wouldn't overthink this whole "relationship" thing. You're just a customer, and there are plenty more out there.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 01:29 AM   #14
zewill
"TRF" Member

Just tell them the truth. Some stores even offer 30 days policy for returning unworn and unsized watch. So if they dont accept to refund the watch but have such a policy, buy it, and return it :D
They'll understand!
zewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 01:40 AM   #15
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
The Boutique is owned by Deutsch. Ask for your money back or that it be transferred to another piece. They do get lots of inventory but also have lots of customers. Personally I’m loyal to my dealer but then again I’m not trying to buy any watch that comes in.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 01:42 AM   #16
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Agree on being upfront. You are the customer and since your local AD got the unit first, best to apply your deposit towards another watch if you are still up for it. This is just the beginning haha
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 01:48 AM   #17
iheartrolexx
Banned

the AD is here to do business. so i dont think your relationship is any good unless you are willing to spend more money with them
iheartrolexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 02:13 AM   #18
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
I have to imagine you can get your deposit refunded. What does your receipt state? It's not a terribly hard piece for them to move so it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 29 August 2019, 02:33 AM   #19
Rol3xe
"TRF" Member

Had a similar situation a month ago. I was honest with the first AD that I wasn’t interested anymore (excuse) they appreciated it and knowing I wouldn’t flip it hopefully gets me something else in the future. Tell them you have tried it on and it wasn’t for you etc. They will appreciate the honesty. Don’t go through the hassle to then sell.
Rol3xe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 04:33 AM   #20
Mr.Rolex1
Banned

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT1985 View Post
You have two wrists don’t you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr.Rolex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 04:39 AM   #21
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
Just be upfront. Call them and say you already have bought the bluesy. The boutique will find a new customer in no time for that watch, which is not a diamond encrusted pearlmaster or another hard piece to sell. Get your money back or re-use the deposit for another Rolex.
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 06:56 AM   #22
pkincy
"TRF" Member

If you don't want another watch, simply tell them you found one. If you want a second watch move the deposit to the second choice.
pkincy is offline   Reply With Quote