The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 29 August 2019, 04:33 AM   #1
jbnjbn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116515LN
IWC Top gun double chrono thoughts...

I think this new 2019 release looks pretty cool. Thinking about picking one up. Anyone agree or disagree?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jbnjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 04:38 AM   #2
Collector2019
"TRF" Member

wrong section
Collector2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 04:41 AM   #3
Oaker1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 114060
I do like this stealth IWC, but it would be too big for me. Is there an in-house movement?

I recently tried on the new in-house 39mm Spitfire, but the L2L was still very long, probably near 50mm, which made it wear very big on my 7” wrist, so didn’t buy.
Oaker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 04:47 AM   #4
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
OP didn't get a response in the first minute after posting another thread of the same title in proper section...so I guess he figured go where the action is. LOL

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=694987
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 04:57 AM   #5
jbnjbn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobearH View Post
OP didn't get a response in the first minute after posting another thread of the same title in proper section...so I guess he figured go where the action is. LOL

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=694987

When I tried posting in the non-Rolex section it gave an error message so I switched it over to here. Tapatalk is not as seamless as I’d like.

But yes i agree that if I don’t get immediate responses its time to go to the heavy traffic zone

Old 29 August 2019, 05:00 AM   #6
jbnjbn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector2019 View Post
wrong section

See comment above. Sorry for the incredible inconvenience

Old 29 August 2019, 05:11 AM   #7
jbnjbn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaker1 View Post
I do like this stealth IWC, but it would be too big for me. Is there an in-house movement?

I recently tried on the new in-house 39mm Spitfire, but the L2L was still very long, probably near 50mm, which made it wear very big on my 7” wrist, so didn’t buy.

I can’t find any information on the mfg of the entire movement. I suppose if it was entirely in house they would reference it but again not sure.

I am waiting on the local AD to get one in so I can try it on. It looks cool but if it’s huge I’ll probably have to pass as well. Hopefully not

Old 29 August 2019, 05:13 AM   #8
Odie-r
"TRF" Member

I like the look, but I have a sneaking feeling it will be too thick. Had that issue with different IWC models over the years. Good looking though!
Old 29 August 2019, 05:43 AM   #9
jjcthe1
"TRF" Member

My issue w pretty much any IWC watch is they lose so much value when bought new. I am not one to flip watches or sell very often, but buying something knowing its taking a nice hit the day I buy it makes me want to look at other options.
jjcthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 05:57 AM   #10
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Le Petit Prince Big Pilot .Wearing mine now (Don't feel like Rolex commodities today .. )

One day ... Rosegold Portuguese Perpetual calender .Stunning watch !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3440.JPG (206.2 KB, 551 views)
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 06:17 AM   #11
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

Love big Pilot.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 06:23 AM   #12
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbnjbn View Post
I can’t find any information on the mfg of the entire movement. I suppose if it was entirely in house they would reference it but again not sure.

I am waiting on the local AD to get one in so I can try it on. It looks cool but if it’s huge I’ll probably have to pass as well. Hopefully not

It is the IWC 79420 CALIBRE movement. I thought as of 2019 all the pilots watches went to in-house movements.

The Pilot’s Watch Double Chronograph TOP GUN Ceratanium Story

Ceratanium® was developed by IWC and combines the advantages of titanium and ceramic in a single material. Based on a titanium alloy, the patented material is as light and rigid as titanium itself but at the same time as hard, wear-free and scratch-resistant as ceramic. Other compelling features are its skin-friendliness, high corrosion-resistance and striking matte black colour. All the case components, including the push-buttons and pin buckle, are made of Ceratanium®, which means the entire watch has a striking “jet black” design code. The Double Chronograph features an integrated split-seconds function that enables the watch to time two separate actions simultaneously. Its power is supplied by the 79420-calibre movement with automatic winding and a 44-hour power reserve. The watch has a black dial and hands. It is worn on a black rubber strap with a textile inlay.

P.S...the internet is you friend.
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 07:08 AM   #13
jbnjbn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobearH View Post
It is the IWC 76420 CALIBRE movement. I thought as of 2019 all the pilots watches went to in-house movements.

P.S...the internet is you friend.

I still don’t see where it says it’s an in house movement. The internet is my friend but didn’t give me an answer so I had to resort to asking the trf mafia

Old 29 August 2019, 07:10 AM   #14
jbnjbn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Le Petit Prince Big Pilot .Wearing mine now (Don't feel like Rolex commodities today .. )

One day ... Rosegold Portuguese Perpetual calender .Stunning watch !!

Very nice! This makes me want it

Old 29 August 2019, 07:12 AM   #15
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

These are very scratch prone. That would be my main reservation. You could pick up a used one so that the depreciation isn’t a factor. I love IWC. Have a Portugieser Classic Chronograph.

Topspin14m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 07:23 AM   #16
tgyberg
"TRF" Member

Watch: D-Blue
I like it but I'm more of a aquatimer guy
tgyberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2019, 10:34 PM   #17
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbnjbn View Post
I still don’t see where it says it’s an in house movement.
Because it's not. It's the usual IWC split-seconds movement based on the usual ETA 7750 with the split-second complication on top developed by Habring in 1992.

Fantastic watch and movement, I own (and wearing now) its "grandfather" 3713 and I love it to bits.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2019, 11:06 PM   #18
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Just wanted to add, that even the other Spitfire models are not truely inhouse in my opinion.

They still base on the ETA 2892/7750 „architecture“* with some admittedly modified elements, but that‘s not what I would call inhouse or „manufacture“.

* whatever that means compared to an ETA/Valjoux ebauche
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2019, 12:48 AM   #19
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
Because it's not. It's the usual IWC split-seconds movement based on the usual ETA 7750 with the split-second complication on top developed by Habring in 1992.

Fantastic watch and movement, I own (and wearing now) its "grandfather" 3713 and I love it to bits.
The 3713 or its predecessor 3711 is the one to get. Great 1990s piece when IWC were at the top of their (and the) game. Still reasonable in terms of size at 42mm and very affordable on top. Personally I'd pick a late 3713 w superluminova rather than the earlier Tritium versions but that may just be me.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2019, 07:38 PM   #20
Wazdakka
"TRF" Member

I like that chrono, and I think the Ceratanium is pretty neat, but it a touch too big. I’m hanging out for the new bronze Spitfire Chrono personally, which is 41mm and has the in-house movement.
The degree to which the movement is in house or not is debatable, but it essentially represents IWC getting what they wanted from the 7750 as-built, will all the extra jewels and modified regulation system etc, along with freedom from the increasingly tenuous Swatch/ETA supply chain. I find it much more useful to think about it in those terms, the purpose it serves, rather than getting hung up on how original a caliber needs to be to qualify as ‘in-house’. I mean, what IWC actually wanted was a non ETA drop-in replacement for the 7750 with a few upgrades, so why criticise them for making it happen :P
Wazdakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2019, 05:10 PM   #21
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin14m View Post
These are very scratch prone. That would be my main reservation. You could pick up a used one so that the depreciation isn’t a factor. I love IWC. Have a Portugieser Classic Chronograph.
Are you kidding? The whole point of ceratanium is that it does NOT scratch. I’m have the ceramic version (3799) and I love it, awesome watch and movement.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2019, 11:25 PM   #22
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
Are you kidding? The whole point of ceratanium is that it does NOT scratch. I’m have the ceramic version (3799) and I love it, awesome watch and movement.
Not kidding.
Topspin14m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2019, 01:56 AM   #23
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
If you have a ceramic case, you are certainly aware that every little contact with a metal object leaves some silverish marks on the black case and these are not removable.
That‘s the weak spot of IWC CE cases.
Never happened with my AP CE bezel
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2019, 03:36 PM   #24
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post
If you have a ceramic case, you are certainly aware that every little contact with a metal object leaves some silverish marks on the black case and these are not removable.
they are very removable.....I have a 3799 and have been able to remove marks with a hard eraser and through using the corner of a green scotch pad and metal polish.
Old 7 October 2019, 04:05 PM   #25
ajw45
"TRF" Member

I like it but seems kinda pricey for a modded 7750...
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2019, 07:55 PM   #26
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
I have owned the older iteration of this watch (with the open date) I can tell you it got more attention in the short time I wore it than any of my other higher end watches. It was a fun and cool watch with lots of wrist presence but I moved on shortly after. Also watch out as ceramic can crack, I know its scratch resistant but they are still brittle.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 06:53 PM   #27
Wazdakka
"TRF" Member

A few good shots of the ceramic double chrono here:
https://timeandtidewatches.com/iwc-t...es-surfboards/
Wazdakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 01:15 AM   #28
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
they are very removable.....I have a 3799 and have been able to remove marks with a hard eraser and through using the corner of a green scotch pad and metal polish.
On my 3799 all marks so far have been easily removed. It still looks like brand new after all these years. That’s just been my personal experience thus far, I can’t speak to all owners’ experiences.

I think AP CE has the advantage of being less matte than the IWC. It probably catches less material. (I think the CE Diver is one of the coolest watches in existence!)
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2019, 01:30 PM   #29
igotvalls
Banned

What a strong and versatile piece. I have a couple of IWCs, Chrono and the Big Pilot. I feel that IWC pieces are very understated, but have an incredible presence. Would love to see this piece in person.
igotvalls is offline   Reply With Quote