The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 October 2019, 01:06 PM   #1
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Tudor Service No Longer Mandates Movement Replacement?

(I apologize if this has already been answered as a search didn't turn up anything.)

Is it no longer the case that during service Tudor swaps out your movement for a refurbished movement as they used to do once they started using in-house movements?

Tudor website:

"During a TUDOR service, the movement of your watch is completely overhauled to ensure that its performance complies with its original specifications. You can also opt to have the case and bracelet cleaned and refinished to restore their lustre. Timekeeping accuracy and waterproofness are always rigorously tested to guarantee the level of quality and reliability that TUDOR is famous for."

"Before the service itself is performed, a detailed diagnostic examination is carried out. One of the highly qualified watchmakers from the extensive network of TUDOR Service Centres meticulously examines the case, bracelet and movement of your watch in order to determine which service procedures will be necessary. Based on this analysis, an itemised estimate will be provided to you."

"Once the estimate has been accepted, the watchmaker begins the disassembly. The bracelet of your watch is detached from its case. The latter is then opened and the movement removed. The case is then entirely disassembled. The movement is also disassembled and each of its components carefully ultrasonically cleaned. The components of the movement are meticulously examined and those that are worn or damaged are replaced by genuine TUDOR replacement parts."

"The movement is reassembled and its components are carefully lubricated in order to minimize friction and wear. This procedure ensures that your timepiece will continue to function optimally and precisely. The precision of your watch is ensured by its balance wheel which oscillates more than 690,000 times a day. To ensure its precision, a meticulous calibration is performed and then verified electronically. Following this, a series of rigorous technical tests are carried out over several days to guarantee the proper functioning of the movement."

"After a complete service, with or without the case and bracelet refinishing option, your TUDOR watch is covered by a two-year Service Guarantee." [Interesting that the service warranty is the same length as the original warranty.]
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2019, 01:11 PM   #2
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
(I apologize if this has already been answered as a search didn't turn up anything.)

Is it no longer the case that during service Tudor swaps out your movement for a refurbished movement as they used to do once they started using in-house movements?

Tudor website:

"During a TUDOR service, the movement of your watch is completely overhauled to ensure that its performance complies with its original specifications. You can also opt to have the case and bracelet cleaned and refinished to restore their lustre. Timekeeping accuracy and waterproofness are always rigorously tested to guarantee the level of quality and reliability that TUDOR is famous for."

"Before the service itself is performed, a detailed diagnostic examination is carried out. One of the highly qualified watchmakers from the extensive network of TUDOR Service Centres meticulously examines the case, bracelet and movement of your watch in order to determine which service procedures will be necessary. Based on this analysis, an itemised estimate will be provided to you."

"Once the estimate has been accepted, the watchmaker begins the disassembly. The bracelet of your watch is detached from its case. The latter is then opened and the movement removed. The case is then entirely disassembled. The movement is also disassembled and each of its components carefully ultrasonically cleaned. The components of the movement are meticulously examined and those that are worn or damaged are replaced by genuine TUDOR replacement parts."

"The movement is reassembled and its components are carefully lubricated in order to minimize friction and wear. This procedure ensures that your timepiece will continue to function optimally and precisely. The precision of your watch is ensured by its balance wheel which oscillates more than 690,000 times a day. To ensure its precision, a meticulous calibration is performed and then verified electronically. Following this, a series of rigorous technical tests are carried out over several days to guarantee the proper functioning of the movement."

"After a complete service, with or without the case and bracelet refinishing option, your TUDOR watch is covered by a two-year Service Guarantee." [Interesting that the service warranty is the same length as the original warranty.]
This is the general 'What we do' jargon.

Tudor has many calibres that are still being made and repaired so this covers their a__ and if the calibre is replaced, I'm sure it'll say so on the RO.

fwiw, a replacement costs less on that new inhouse calibre than a rebuild so why not just recycle them and study them for Quality Control.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2019, 01:43 PM   #3
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Tudor Service No Longer Mandates Movement Replacement?

Hmm, all this concern about Tudor’s movement replacement policy makes me wonder if they should offer two types of service.

Option A: traditional movement service for $X
Option B: complete movement replacement with refurbished movement for $1/2X
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2019, 01:44 PM   #4
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
This is the general 'What we do' jargon.

Tudor has many calibres that are still being made and repaired so this covers their a__ and if the calibre is replaced, I'm sure it'll say so on the RO.

fwiw, a replacement costs less on that new inhouse calibre than a rebuild so why not just recycle them and study them for Quality Control.
That is some linguistic gymnastics if Tudor contends that giving someone a refurbished movement fits within the description of a service listed on their website:

--"During a TUDOR service, the movement of your watch is completely overhauled."

--"The movement is also disassembled and each of its components carefully ultrasonically cleaned. The components of the movement that are worn or damaged are replaced."

--"The movement is reassembled and its components are carefully lubricated."

This strongly implies if not outright says that the movement I send them will be overhauled, put back in my watch, and sent back to me. If they don't do that, they should be more clear.
Old 28 October 2019, 02:10 PM   #5
Rabidmonk0
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
They do that overhaul and all that work to your movement. They just don't say whether you get that exact movement back in your watch. They do the overhaul then it goes in someone else's watch, as you got a previously overhauled one in yours from the sound of it.
Rabidmonk0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2019, 02:27 PM   #6
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabidmonk0 View Post
They do that overhaul and all that work to your movement. They just don't say whether you get that exact movement back in your watch. They do the overhaul then it goes in someone else's watch, as you got a previously overhauled one in yours from the sound of it.
I thought of that. Yes, their words may be factually true. But their words strongly imply that one will get back their own movement. If that's not the case, then just be straightforward about it. Its misleading at best, and dishonest at worst. I would respect Tudor more if they were straightforward about the movement swap and about the GMT movement flaw. Of course, as a private company, they don't really care about my opinion.
Old 28 October 2019, 02:37 PM   #7
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
If I can have a brand new movement, will I take it? Hell yes, all day every day.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2019, 03:19 PM   #8
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
While I have read on the forums that Tudor swap movements, the information on their website suggests a more traditional model of servicing movements. Given that there seems to be no official text rebating the swapping of movements in now wondering where this came from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2019, 03:51 PM   #9
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
If out of warranty I expect Tudor would charge you for a service to your movement.
If out of warranty I expect Tudor would fix any issues and component failures at your cost plus a full service on your movement.

If inside the warranty period I expect them to choose whether they repair your movement or replace it with a new one.

I don’t think they will replace a movement outside of warranty for the cost of a service.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2019, 03:52 PM   #10
Hub6152
Banned

Tudor used to swap the ETA movements as it was more cost effective to do that rather than strip it down and reassemble. That’s because the ETA movements were not COSC and did not have a movement serial number tied to the COSC certificate. With the COSC movements they don’t just replace anymore - at least that’s my understanding of it.
Hub6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2019, 08:18 PM   #11
gunhose
Banned

Watch: what's on my wrist
Bas already address this a few days ago. They replace the new movement made inhouse. Only time Tudor replaces an ETA when the old one can't be salvaged.
gunhose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2019, 09:07 PM   #12
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I personally couldn't care less if they service the movement in my watch, or replace it. And I don't really care if it is new or refurbished. I'm not sure why this is a big deal to be honest. If they service your movement, reinstall it, you are now getting a refurbished movement - it just happens to be YOUR refurbished movement. I have no attachment to the inside of my watch and if they want to swap out movements it is fine with me as long as it works.
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2019, 09:31 PM   #13
SearChart
TechXpert

Technically, yes the movements are being serviced. But you're getting a refurbished one, RSC's simply swap the movements out and they're on exchange with Geneva, where the movements get serviced.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2019, 10:07 PM   #14
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
I would think there would be two different descriptions of the work......

1) During a TUDOR service, the movement of your watch is completely overhauled

2) During a TUDOR service, the watch movement will be replaced with one that has been completely overhauled
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2019, 11:00 PM   #15
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

I don't know that this is really a bad thing. If I'm sending a watch in for service, there is probably something wrong with it and it needs it.

Tudor is then giving me a full 2 yr warranty, which is the same as when I bought it.

To me, this is not that big of a deal.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2019, 11:09 PM   #16
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Technically, yes the movements are being serviced. But you're getting a refurbished one, RSC's simply swap the movements out and they're on exchange with Geneva, where the movements get serviced.
/thread
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 06:36 AM   #17
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Broadly speaking, it's the watch as an assembly which is being serviced.
Like it or not the service center is not bound by any contractual obligations to keep the original movement.
Refurbished sub-assemblies with any and all upgrades applied are routinely swaped and fitted to all manner of things if it's more expedient and or cost effective.
For example, Aircraft engines come to mind in this instance and I believe the Abrams tank is subject to the same treatment when the time comes.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 06:47 AM   #18
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
If I can have a brand new movement, will I take it? Hell yes, all day every day.
I'm betting you have zero chance of getting a new movement as a service replacement. That would mean the movements are not worth servicing. They'll grab the previously refurbished movement that has been sitting on the bench the longest . . . .
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 07:18 AM   #19
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
I'm betting you have zero chance of getting a new movement as a service replacement. That would mean the movements are not worth servicing. They'll grab the previously refurbished movement that has been sitting on the bench the longest . . . .
And i'm sure it will be as good as getting a new one.
Old 29 October 2019, 07:20 AM   #20
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
And i'm sure it will be as good as getting a new one.

Then why only a service warranty?

Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 10:11 AM   #21
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Then why only a service warranty?

Same as a new watch...2 year warranty.
Old 29 October 2019, 11:22 AM   #22
EDL7
"TRF" Member

So...
You get someone else's screwed up interior..
That may or may not hold up...
No thanks Tudor..
EDL7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 11:28 AM   #23
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDL7 View Post
So...
No thanks Tudor..

I'm not convinced either way yet, but given this is a Tudor serviced calibre, where do you get someone else's screwed up interior from?

Old 29 October 2019, 01:36 PM   #24
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
I personally couldn't care less if they service the movement in my watch, or replace it. And I don't really care if it is new or refurbished.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
To me, this is not that big of a deal.
These are mechanical movements, each one is a little different. If my Pelagos movement was running 1/2 second fast a day (some of these are DEAD ON), I'm not sure I would like it if during service I was given a refurbished movement from someone else's watch that ran 2 seconds slow per day after cased in my watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Broadly speaking, it's the watch as an assembly which is being serviced. Like it or not the service center is not bound by any contractual obligations to keep the original movement.
Agreed. I'm just not sure I like it. See above. And I definitely don't like that Tudor is doing this while using service language that strongly implies (and almost outright says) you get your same movement back. I would just like it if Tudor was a little more straightforward. However, as a private Swiss company beholden to no one outside the company, they don't really care about my opinion.
Old 29 October 2019, 03:50 PM   #25
EDL7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So...
No thanks Tudor..

Quote:
I'm not convinced either way yet, but given this is a Tudor serviced calibre, where do you get someone else's screwed up interior from?
No way to know where its been..
How much its been knocked around..
How old it is..how many tics are on it..
Or whatever else may be wrong w/it..or waiting to go wrong..
Or even if the repair was done right..
As in..
Its doubling up the chances you will have later trouble..
Unless you get lucky..
And get a shelf queen that had little wrist time and the lubes just dried up..
But I wouldnt count on that..
Wouldnt pay for that..
No way..
EDL7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 04:01 PM   #26
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:
So...
No thanks Tudor..

No way to know where its been..
How much its been knocked around..
How old it is..how many tics are on it..
Or whatever else may be wrong w/it..or waiting to go wrong..
Or even if the repair was done right..
As in..
Its doubling up the chances you will have later trouble..
Unless you get lucky..
And get a shelf queen that had little wrist time and the lubes just dried up..
But I wouldnt count on that..
Wouldnt pay for that..
No way..

Yeah... Nope. These are calibres serviced by Tudor and given a two year warranty. No issue for me. Anyway, it seems that they are servicing rather than swapping now anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 29 October 2019, 06:02 PM   #27
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
So much speculation, so little really known.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 06:16 PM   #28
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
dP
Have to agree Dan but today the net thrives on speculation no one is interested in facts.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 06:50 PM   #29
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
dP

Yes!

Old 29 October 2019, 10:45 PM   #30
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
dP
About many, many topics. A gosht of a rumor or Joe told me, and we are off to the races. Still beats watching TV (which my wife locked in the closet over 30 years ago when we got married).