The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 October 2019, 02:38 PM   #31
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree Dan but today the net thrives on speculation no one is interested in facts.
???

We are speculating because we don't know. But we are very interested in the facts.
No SUBctitute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 10:22 PM   #32
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
???

We are speculating because we don't know. But we are very interested in the facts.
They're being swapped, that is your fact right there.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 02:18 AM   #33
SearChart
TechXpert

And here is proof.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191030_154224_resize_74_compress39.jpg (99.0 KB, 294 views)
Old 31 October 2019, 02:22 AM   #34
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

And we're done here.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 02:41 AM   #35
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
This is the general 'What we do' jargon.

Tudor has many calibres that are still being made and repaired so this covers their a__ and if the calibre is replaced, I'm sure it'll say so on the RO.

fwiw, a replacement costs less on that new inhouse calibre than a rebuild so why not just recycle them and study them for Quality Control.
This is what happens when you let lawyers fix watches.

Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 04:40 AM   #36
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
And we're done here.
I hope so. It's not the first time I had to explain this, and probably not the last time either...

Now with solid proof I hope they finally get it...
Old 31 October 2019, 05:01 AM   #37
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
And here is proof.
Clearly a Photoshop job

Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 05:15 AM   #38
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
I hope so. It's not the first time I had to explain this, and probably not the last time either...

It’s like the guys who constantly make unsubstantiated claims like wearing your Rolex in a shower is bad. It doesn’t matter how much conclusive evidence you present them, they will still insist. Thank you for sharing Bas. You are an invaluable resource to the forum
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 03:38 AM   #39
NoVaSubowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love them.
Quote:
And here is proof.
Makes me glad I turned down a BNIB BB GMT at an AD today. Part of the fun of having a mechanical watch for me goes out the window if the movement is outright replaced at a major service.
NoVaSubowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 08:13 AM   #40
CedCraig
"TRF" Member

A Rolex-trained watchmaker in the thread „Differences between Rolex and Tudor movements“ stated that Tudor swaps out refurbished movements, rather than servicing „your“ movement.

So, the Tudor service center apparently takes „your“ MT movement, subs in a refurbished movement, then services „your“ movement, which will in turn get put into the next Tudor that‘s returned for service. In theory, that method should shorten service turn-around times, but „your“ Tudor now does not have the original movement. Seems like some people care, some don‘t.

If my original Tudor was running say, +1 consistently, but came back from servicing running -4 or +6 (i.e., within spec) I‘d be disappointed. Although if it was running that well I‘m not sure why it would need to be serviced. However, eventually watches do need service.
CedCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 02:21 AM   #41
Ruddiger
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

Howdy,

Bas, sorry for beating a dead horse, but I assume this is a Tudor specific policy and not what Rolex does?

In other words, when you service a Rolex movement, does the exact same movement go back into the exact same watch it came out of?

Take care,

Ruddiger
Ruddiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 05:09 AM   #42
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaSubowner View Post
Makes me glad I turned down a BNIB BB GMT at an AD today. Part of the fun of having a mechanical watch for me goes out the window if the movement is outright replaced at a major service.
I agree. The movement is the heart and soul of the watch. Otherwise, buy a quartz. It will never be a vintage watch if the movement is replaced. The value will reflect that. Also, it reveals how expendable those movements really are.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 05:17 AM   #43
timy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BB GMT
I feel a bit scammed tbh, and it has made me doubt my other watches, I have a couple of 2020 Tudor Prince Dates, do these have a Sellita movement rather than an ETA, Will I get a Sellita in exchange my an ETA upon service.

As for my black bays with MT movement, they are for sale as we speak.

Formerly owned watches
2019 Tudor BlackBay Burgundy (Sold Dec 2020)
timy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 05:28 AM   #44
sambb
"TRF" Member

clarification - so if someone sends their watch to tudor for routine service, the movement gets swapped? or cleaned and lubed? or unknown? And is the GMT different from the others? or do we just not even know.
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 05:29 AM   #45
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambb View Post
clarification - so if someone sends their watch to tudor for routine service, the movement gets swapped? or cleaned and lubed? or unknown? And is the GMT different from the others? or do we just not even know.
If you read the thread you will find your answer.
Old 27 November 2020, 05:30 AM   #46
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruddiger View Post
Howdy,

Bas, sorry for beating a dead horse, but I assume this is a Tudor specific policy and not what Rolex does?

In other words, when you service a Rolex movement, does the exact same movement go back into the exact same watch it came out of?

Take care,

Ruddiger
Yes, in a Rolex your movement will be serviced and you will get that very one back.
Old 27 November 2020, 06:24 AM   #47
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Anything even the slightest bit worn will be replaced. I'd imagine... Although some beaten to crap movements still run OK..
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 07:15 AM   #48
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMarcus View Post
I agree. The movement is the heart and soul of the watch. Otherwise, buy a quartz. It will never be a vintage watch if the movement is replaced. The value will reflect that. Also, it reveals how expendable those movements really are.
Some movements are more expendable than others.
Especially as there are cheap Selita and Seagulls etc etc around.
But it's not like they are throwing your Tudor movements away. It's just a different servicing model that is designed to streamline the servicing process.
Let's face it, if a movement is tested at COSC and then put into any case as it comes along down the line with no further tests performed on the whole assembly, then what does it matter.
Especially if the case and movement don't share a serial number anyway

This expectation that a movement that's born into you watch gets serviced and put back into the case is a carry over from the very earliest of times.
Especially if it shares a serial number.
And yet, way back in the day when pocket watches were all the go, a customer would choose a movement and a case that suited their budget and the 2 components were married up by the watchmaker and off one went to enjoy their timepiece for life without any further though about it.
And they serviced them whenever the watch was playing up, broken or every 3 years if they could afford it.

The world has changed and we have to accept the good with the bad as enjoyable or disappointing as it may be.
Buy what makes you happy.
To that, I'm convinced that the vast majority of consumers outside these watch forums, wouldn't know what was in their watch let alone the well entrenched and accepted expectations around servicing.
On other forums I see people who can't even competently wind a manual wind watch from a standstill.
Or more universally, monitor the timekeeping of a watch without the assistance of an app
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 07:33 AM   #49
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Yes, in a Rolex your movement will be serviced and you will get that very one back.
Precisely.
And a premium service naturally costs more so expectations must fully match the desired outcome.
Replaced movement running to COSC specs with quicker servicing turn around, vs original movement retained with worn out parts routinely replaced(like grandfathers axe) and running between + or - 2 seconds per day with a longer turn around in this fast paced world.
Then there's other high end brands other than Rolex that take much longer for servicing and charge even more.
Some actually have restoration divisions dedicated to servicing their vintage watches and others further still who are dedicated to even re-making parts for any watch or movement they have made in the past(but one will pay for the privelidge).

Perhaps we seriously need to think of spliting out this modern Tudor watch business and creating a sub forum from the Rolex forum completely as the watches are essentially chalk and cheese
Peoples expectations are being confused and it's causing unnecessary angst.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 12:27 PM   #50
sambb
"TRF" Member

i was a fan of tudor, but considering selling now. Between movement changes at the GMT date issue, seems like omega might be a reasonable alternative.
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 02:34 PM   #51
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambb View Post
i was a fan of tudor, but considering selling now. Between movement changes at the GMT date issue, seems like omega might be a reasonable alternative.

Yep. Cut off your Jose to spite g your face... Good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 08:27 PM   #52
18078pres
"TRF" Member

swapping a watches movement with a another when it comes to service cheapens the brand in my mind give me another brand at the same price point that OVERHAULS THEIR MOVEMENT gets my money
18078pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 11:20 PM   #53
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Many heroic statements from men in defense of their trinkets.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote