The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 August 2020, 09:32 AM   #31
upandgo99
"TRF" Member

Can I ask what the hell you guys do when you visit an AD 5-6 times. I understand if that just means visiting every 6 months but if more frequent than this then i’d feel like I was pestering them.

Are you going in to say “ hi, just checking what new watches you have?

I’m not one for small talk so maybe it’s lost on me. I’d rather go once, strike up a conversation, make them aware that I’m serious and the come back and pay for the watch when it’s available. Obviously things become a bit easier once you’ve built up some history and you can just pop in and talk about a particular new model but that’s a once a year event with Rolex. It would be a different story if they had display cases full of watches to see In person.

I’m on two waiting list but aren’t hopeful which may not come as a surprise based on the above. I bought my first Rolex Last year, a rhodium YM and had the chance to buy a blue DJ41 or TT SD from the same store 2 weeks later but neither took my fancy as I’m after a sub for everyday.
upandgo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 10:01 AM   #32
greengold
Banned

another big thing is being local to the AD a lot of them now will ask for your details and if they think your not local they will say they cant add you
greengold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 04:23 PM   #33
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengold View Post
another big thing is being local to the AD a lot of them now will ask for your details and if they think your not local they will say they cant add you
That’s definitely fair enough I would say
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 04:59 PM   #34
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by upandgo99 View Post
Can I ask what the hell you guys do when you visit an AD 5-6 times. I understand if that just means visiting every 6 months but if more frequent than this then i’d feel like I was pestering them.

I’m not one for small talk so maybe it’s lost on me. I’d rather go once, strike up a conversation, make them aware that I’m serious and the come back and pay for the watch when it’s available. Obviously things become a bit easier once you’ve built up some history and you can just pop in and talk about a particular new model but that’s a once a year event with Rolex. It would be a different story if they had display cases full of watches to see In person.

I’m on two waiting list but aren’t hopeful which may not come as a surprise based on the above. I bought my first Rolex Last year, a rhodium YM and had the chance to buy a blue DJ41 or TT SD from the same store 2 weeks later but neither took my fancy as I’m after a sub for everyday.
I’m looking forward to the answer to this as well.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 06:34 PM   #35
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
I was told my interest would be registered, my details taken, and my name 'put in a hat' lottery style.
They said they had just over 200 names on their list, for the piece I wanted to buy. (This was 2 years ago.....no new watch, yet).

Good luck!
Hi Speedy,

Pledge members have access to many extras and, as you probably know, have access to a watch draw from time to time as a supporting member.

Living in Oz with the serious lack of stock this is almost the only way I could source one of the more sought after models (Steve has great taste) and the odds are not much different to yours.

How are you going with your bike riding?

E.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 06:47 PM   #36
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
very hard in uk. i have had my name down for a sub, or an air king for 2.5 years at one dealer. seen an air king in there window three times since, never tried to get in touch with me. so obviously they didnt even bother actally writing my details in. i refused to buy it from them after that.

since found another AD a small one, the manager has been great, two watches so far in the last 6 months.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 06:48 PM   #37
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:

I'll throw myself in front of the bus;

I like watches, I like looking at and trying on watches, I like talking about watches, my wife likes necklaces and bracelets so whilst she is wondering whether to buy herself something sparkly I'll be thinking about a watch. It is also nice to have a chat with the people in the shop, get a feel for what is going on how their business is going.

But that was yesterday, today everything is a pre booked appointment, security on the door, no walk-in's unless you are invited in by the SA, you only have a max of an hour in the store, no drinks or nibbles they are now banned.

My AD is in a local shopping centre which we visit 2 or 3 times a month so going past is somewhat inevitable, pre covid that would have been a free coffee break, now it is just a browse at the window display.

So for me my trips to town to go shopping is the opportunity to look at, try-on and talk watches, whether Rolex, Omega, IWC or one of the many other brands in the centre, and build relationships. I like doing this, does it work? Who knows but I enjoy it and that is all that matters.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 09:07 PM   #38
accountank2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN, 79220R
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
I'll throw myself in front of the bus;

I like watches, I like looking at and trying on watches, I like talking about watches, my wife likes necklaces and bracelets so whilst she is wondering whether to buy herself something sparkly I'll be thinking about a watch. It is also nice to have a chat with the people in the shop, get a feel for what is going on how their business is going.
Quote:
So for me my trips to town to go shopping is the opportunity to look at, try-on and talk watches, whether Rolex, Omega, IWC or one of the many other brands in the centre, and build relationships. I like doing this, does it work? Who knows but I enjoy it and that is all that matters.

The art of the deal is probably a lot easier for people who are naturally extroverted or have taught themselves to be good at 'networking'.

One could imagine that if you're the sort of person who can afford a Rolex from the salary he gets from a typical day job, you may not be spending your 9-5 weekdays taking time out of the day to travel to a watch store just to 'browse'; more likely you're going to be going there on weekend when the shopping centre and jewellery stores generally are busier. If you just want to hang out looking at display cases or in the window, and ask the occasional question, that's probably fine, as the store will be busier and you can stand around inconspicuously looking at stuff - fine for an introvert - but perhaps doesn't get you much one on one time with a sales assistant. Maybe that's a good thing if you are going to be in there every few weeks, because if you're not a great conversationalist and not looking to buy anything, you could imagine the chats being pretty short :)

If you're saving yourself for that one waitlisted rolex watch and don't have spare ££ thousands to blow on other bits of jewellery or different watches, it also relies on the salesman realising that they should not write you off as "that timewaster who comes in and asks to look at stuff, sometimes brings his wife, but never buys anything". Instead they should categorise you as someone who really really wants that particular rolex model that they're waitlisted for (and which the salesman could sell to any number of 'spendier' customers), and is obviously cultivating a fake friendship with the sales team as part of a long term play to have a chance to spend more money on other desirable things in the future (just not any of the other things they have in the window right now).

As a teenager I did sometimes spend time at the weekend going into town, hanging out at the shopping mall or going to record stores or other shops that sold things that were a hobby of mine, killing hours and hours every year. Now as a grown man I'm happy to spend time hanging out on forums and doing all sorts of research online that I couldn't do as a kid, but I am not going to give up too many weekends going to a watch shop and asking inane questions about what new Rolexes have been released (I know the answer is none) or asking to try on other watches that I have no likelihood of buying this year.

So although I've been into plenty of ADs to look around and make enquiries, the last four or five watches I bought were all either preowned / grey dealer in the case of Rolex (paying a premium but no waitlist for the watches I wanted) or from online stores with no face to face contact in the case of non-Rolex (cheaper than face to face authorised dealers in London). I'm on a (long) waitlist for an FP Journe CB, which hopefully will get fulfilled before they stop making them in x years time, but that one was a simple application form process without needing to be best buddies with a salesperson at the boutique.
accountank2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 09:22 PM   #39
Raffles
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 16600
I've been on a waiting list for a 116610LN since June last year. I have emailed two or three times to check progress, but feel like I get fobbed off. I have bought jewellery in the store, but never a watch.
Raffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 07:56 PM   #40
od91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
very hard in uk. i have had my name down for a sub, or an air king for 2.5 years at one dealer. seen an air king in there window three times since, never tried to get in touch with me. so obviously they didnt even bother actally writing my details in. i refused to buy it from them after that.

since found another AD a small one, the manager has been great, two watches so far in the last 6 months.
Very interesting, what did you manage to get?

I think I’ll be registering at a couple of AD’s.
od91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 08:23 PM   #41
Ranger67
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB Bluesy
Quote:
Originally Posted by od91 View Post
Very interesting, what did you manage to get?

I think I’ll be registering at a couple of AD’s.
I had my name down (allegedly) at the main 2 big outlets and still have without ever getting any correspondence at all, got my watch from a smaller 3 store outlet who actually treated me as a person, so I would advise to approach smaller outlets.
Ranger67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 08:41 PM   #42
fett1972
"TRF" Member

In October 2018 I walked into my local Goldsmiths to buy aWG Daytona and walked out with a SS sub. SA had been contacting customers on the list without success. I asked if it was available and after a quick conversation with his manager I purchased it.

2 months later following a bad experience with another Goldsmith branch I was allocated a 116519 and 4 weeks later a White Dial Daytona.

From my experience the most important factor is who you deal with at the branch in regards to what you get allocated.

Second thing I learnt is waitlists don’t really exist in terms of date you are added

Also remember some of the big chains have high turn over of staff so try to converse with as many SA as possible in your chosen store
fett1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 07:26 PM   #43
od91
"TRF" Member

I have spoken with various AD over the weekend, some have point blank rejected me to the waiting list as the lists are so big. A couple have added me on but basically in so not many words said they’ll add me on but I have 0% chance of purchasing unless I have a purchase history.

The overall summary is, there is around 3 year+ wait list and there is very little chance as the lists are so large.

I have always bought Omegas, but never from a Rolex AD, so I have messed up there. I really wanted to avoid buying grey as I don’t want to fuel the fire, but it may be my only option for now. I’ll purchase some items (maybe some jewellery for the wife!) from one of the AD’s for future lists.
Old 17 August 2020, 07:34 PM   #44
Ranger67
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB Bluesy
Quote:
I have spoken with various AD over the weekend, some have point blank rejected me to the waiting list as the lists are so big. A couple have added me on but basically in so not many words said they’ll add me on but I have 0% chance of purchasing unless I have a purchase history.

The overall summary is, there is around 3 year+ wait list and there is very little chance as the lists are so large.

I have always bought Omegas, but never from a Rolex AD, so I have messed up there. I really wanted to avoid buying grey as I don’t want to fuel the fire, but it may be my only option for now. I’ll purchase some items (maybe some jewellery for the wife!) from one of the AD’s for future lists.
Where are you in the UK, I had to travel 100 miles to finally get a watch.
Ranger67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 07:45 PM   #45
WEST HAM ROLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT LN/SD43/D Blue
Have 2 friendS waiting on Sd43
Hope they get soon.

I suppose the AD my get more stock, but just hundreds of more people around London wanting a Rolex.

On certain models, even if an AD got 20 pieces a year instead of 10 It wouldn’t make that much difference with the amount of customers waiting.
WEST HAM ROLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 07:53 PM   #46
Paulr1980
"TRF" Member

I sympathise with those trying to get in now. I somehow timed it quite well and in 2017 bought a GMT 2 with no wait. I was pretty unaware how rare that was. Maybe that innocence helped!

Now I’ve bought an Explorer 1 and BB58 NB and hoping the sub I’ve been promised will show up soon. “Next on the list...” but I’m starting to lose hope now as I’ve been bumped at least once. So I’m teetering on the edge of buying grey.

I think if it’s not here by the end of the year (will have been one year then) I’ll buy grey or buy the JLC Polaris.
Paulr1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 07:53 PM   #47
od91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger67 View Post
Where are you in the UK, I had to travel 100 miles to finally get a watch.
I’m in Manchester! I have no issues with travelling anywhere to get one! I know a lot of ADs only want to deal with people living locally to stop reselling. The whole process just seems very difficult and frustrating!
Old 17 August 2020, 07:56 PM   #48
od91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulr1980 View Post
I sympathise with those trying to get in now. I somehow timed it quite well and in 2017 bought a GMT 2 with no wait. I was pretty unaware how rare that was. Maybe that innocence helped!

Now I’ve bought an Explorer 1 and BB58 NB and hoping the sub I’ve been promised will show up soon. “Next on the list...” but I’m starting to lose hope now as I’ve been bumped at least once. So I’m teetering on the edge of buying grey.

I think if it’s not here by the end of the year (will have been one year then) I’ll buy grey or buy the JLC Polaris.
I’m going to give it until the end of the year and see if I make any progress. Brand new Sub Dates can be gotten from grey for approx £9.5k - 11k.

When you buy a Rolex from an AD what paperwork do you get? Is the watch registered in your name with Rolex? I’m just weighing up the pros and cons.
Old 17 August 2020, 08:20 PM   #49
Podmornica
Banned

I was offered the SS Submariner after about 8 months on waiting list without any previous buying history.

I passed on it as it looked like a soap bar on my wrist with those fat lugs (don't want to spark a debate regarding the aesthetic of the watch, but that was the reason I skipped the opportunity). I could resell it for a profit of at least 1K EUR but didn't want to be one of those flippers everybody hates ..

Anyway, the less in demand SS watches could be found at the AD without buying history. However, I am not so sure about the SS GMT or Daytona ..

At this point, I believe it's worth going the gray route if you really want one and the money is not an issue.

That way you could enjoy wearing it while being on the AD list. If the AD ever calls you you can than resell and break even.
Podmornica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 08:26 PM   #50
od91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podmornica View Post
I was offered the SS Submariner after about 8 months on waiting list without any previous buying history.

I passed on it as it looked like a soap bar on my wrist with those fat lugs (don't want to spark a debate regarding the aesthetic of the watch, but that was the reason I skipped the opportunity). I could resell it for a profit of at least 1K EUR but didn't want to be one of those flippers everybody hates ..

Anyway, the less in demand SS watches could be found at the AD without buying history. However, I am not so sure about the SS GMT or Daytona ..

At this point, I believe it's worth going the gray route if you really want one and the money is not an issue.

That way you could enjoy wearing it while being on the AD list. If the AD ever calls you you can than resell and break even.
In the past people have got lucky, I think over the last 12 months the difficulty has increased substantially!
I do really like your idea of purchasing grey and staying on the waiting lists.
Old 17 August 2020, 08:30 PM   #51
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m in Manchester! I have no issues with travelling anywhere to get one! I know a lot of ADs only want to deal with people living locally to stop reselling. The whole process just seems very difficult and frustrating!
If you haven't already, try Prestons in Wilmslow (think they also have a Bolton branch) and also Robinsons in Altrincham. I've found both to be quite open and honest. Robinsons will take a deposit if their list is open.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 08:47 PM   #52
od91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
If you haven't already, try Prestons in Wilmslow (think they also have a Bolton branch) and also Robinsons in Altrincham. I've found both to be quite open and honest. Robinsons will take a deposit if their list is open.
Thank you! I’ve spoken to Prestons and they aren’t taking on any new people for Oystersteel Subs/GMTs! I’m in contact with Robinson’s as they’re very local to me and they’ve not declined me just yet...!
Old 17 August 2020, 08:58 PM   #53
Crashblue
"TRF" Member

If Rolex releases a new Submariner next month or next year it will be nearly impossible got get it.
Crashblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 09:01 PM   #54
od91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashblue View Post
If Rolex releases a new Submariner next month or next year it will be nearly impossible got get it.
I have been told from various AD it’s expected 1st September!
Old 17 August 2020, 09:11 PM   #55
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Look at watches, jewellery, accessories, sometimes buy something. Occasionally buy an Omega, Breitling, Tag etc with a huge discount, drink beverages, eat nibbles, chat about what's been happening professionally and personally (if appropriate), who's leaving, who's joining, who's been promoted, ask if they've got anything tasty in the safe that I can look at and possibly buy (was offered a BLNR last month), ask how far I've moved up whatever waiting list(s) I'm on, use the loo, be invited to pop back in whenever I'm passing.

Also applies to my HiFi dealer (2 minutes up the road) and car dealer (just round the corner). It's relationship building. It only works if the seller is the type of person/business who will accommodate it. It results in significant sums of money moving in their direction in the medium to long term and me recommending scores of people to them.

I've walked onto many premises selling many things and have never returned again because of the attitude of the staff. A comparatively small number of businesses have mutually clicked and been accommodating, and they have had a lot of my business..

If my wife and I are chewing the fat and it gets busy, we leave. If someone we are just casually chatting to is approached or the phone rings, we step away. If we walk in and it's busy, we walk out - unless we are visiting for something specific. I won't stand in the way of a potential sale or hold up a queue at a till. It's just judgement and common sense really.

And of course, none of the above applies in the post lock down appointments culture now in force. Although I've had a number of causal phone conversations with my usual contacts and spoken to my local AD's Rolex buyer twice to see how far I have moved up their long SS BLRO list, and to get a bit of September 1st gossip and speculation.

I'm not overly outward going although I have a long track record in sales, marketing, training and management, none of it in retail. When I lived in SE England and worked in London it was a fairly random scatter thing - most shop sellers would be brief and to the point, some would would be more friendly and engaging but this was the minority. I have lived in South West England for nearly 30 years now. It's different, even in the high end shops. Some people will always be snooty (they never have West Country accents) but for the most part you'd better have the time to stop and talk to people. It's expected.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 09:26 PM   #56
Crashblue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have been told from various AD it’s expected 1st September!
That is also my expectation.
Crashblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 09:34 PM   #57
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
All interesting and I suspect not much different here in the “Colonies”...
Old 17 August 2020, 09:58 PM   #58
Paulr1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Look at watches, jewellery, accessories, sometimes buy something. Occasionally buy an Omega, Breitling, Tag etc with a huge discount, drink beverages, eat nibbles, chat about what's been happening professionally and personally (if appropriate), who's leaving, who's joining, who's been promoted, ask if they've got anything tasty in the safe that I can look at and possibly buy (was offered a BLNR last month), ask how far I've moved up whatever waiting list(s) I'm on, use the loo, be invited to pop back in whenever I'm passing.

Also applies to my HiFi dealer (2 minutes up the road) and car dealer (just round the corner). It's relationship building. It only works if the seller is the type of person/business who will accommodate it. It results in significant sums of money moving in their direction in the medium to long term and me recommending scores of people to them.

I've walked onto many premises selling many things and have never returned again because of the attitude of the staff. A comparatively small number of businesses have mutually clicked and been accommodating, and they have had a lot of my business..

If my wife and I are chewing the fat and it gets busy, we leave. If someone we are just casually chatting to is approached or the phone rings, we step away. If we walk in and it's busy, we walk out - unless we are visiting for something specific. I won't stand in the way of a potential sale or hold up a queue at a till. It's just judgement and common sense really.

And of course, none of the above applies in the post lock down appointments culture now in force. Although I've had a number of causal phone conversations with my usual contacts and spoken to my local AD's Rolex buyer twice to see how far I have moved up their long SS BLRO list, and to get a bit of September 1st gossip and speculation.

I'm not overly outward going although I have a long track record in sales, marketing, training and management, none of it in retail. When I lived in SE England and worked in London it was a fairly random scatter thing - most shop sellers would be brief and to the point, some would would be more friendly and engaging but this was the minority. I have lived in South West England for nearly 30 years now. It's different, even in the high end shops. Some people will always be snooty (they never have West Country accents) but for the most part you'd better have the time to stop and talk to people. It's expected.
I’d say you summarised it perfectly. I do exactly the same. The only added bonus is that I’ve ended up being good friends with an advisor and we talk a few times a week. Of course I limit the conversations about my hopeful purchases so I’m not straining the friendship.
Paulr1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 10:05 PM   #59
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulr1980 View Post
I limit the conversations about my hopeful purchases so I’m not straining the friendship.
This is another facet of it, and depends on the dynamic of the relationship. As a rule of thumb, in a well developed relationship (not necessarily a friendship, although we may feel more comfortable thinking of it in these terms), they will know without you needing to specifically reminding them. And they will also know that speaking to them without reminding them, is you reminding them.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 10:30 PM   #60
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
It's hard work in the UK. i'm on lists but i don't hold my breath. if its only 2000 or so above retail i just buy it elswhere. by the time rolex do a price increase then you will pay that anyway.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
availability , scarcity