The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 October 2020, 06:11 AM   #121
Combine man
"TRF" Member

UK waiting lists

A lot to do with staff attitudes in AD's,always used our local WOS for 25 years,back then all models avaliable in shop usually to see pre purchase.
Different management and staff and the service has deteriorated over the years,we have history for watches and jewellery there,we called one day when my wife had lost her watch,to buy a replacement,and they advised us to go to a high st chain. We weren't dressed too smart having gone from work,but we left and spent 6k in another jewellers we use.
Have recently used an independent AD in Cheltenham and recieved very good service.
Called them early Oct to get on the list for a ND SUB,they explained it could be a while,but offered me a cancelled order TTSD,I went to have a look,and its not been off my wrist since e.
They were open and honest about the waiting time,so we have remained on the list for the Sub and a YM for my step son.
We will never use WOS again,and the W doesn't stand for watches in our house!
Combine man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 02:52 PM   #122
od91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combine man View Post
A lot to do with staff attitudes in AD's,always used our local WOS for 25 years,back then all models avaliable in shop usually to see pre purchase.
Different management and staff and the service has deteriorated over the years,we have history for watches and jewellery there,we called one day when my wife had lost her watch,to buy a replacement,and they advised us to go to a high st chain. We weren't dressed too smart having gone from work,but we left and spent 6k in another jewellers we use.
Have recently used an independent AD in Cheltenham and recieved very good service.
Called them early Oct to get on the list for a ND SUB,they explained it could be a while,but offered me a cancelled order TTSD,I went to have a look,and its not been off my wrist since e.
They were open and honest about the waiting time,so we have remained on the list for the Sub and a YM for my step son.
We will never use WOS again,and the W doesn't stand for watches in our house!
This doesn’t surprise me, I think one of the issues we have in the UK is that WOS have the monopoly with Rolex and with the supposed “low quantities” of watches (which I don’t believe looking at grey dealers) they seem to treat some existing and potential customers like rubbish - it definitely appears that way in major cities anyway.
od91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 04:59 PM   #123
Combine man
"TRF" Member

I agree,seems odd to me that if your spending Rolex money the dealer should be polite and courteous to the customer,not the customer having to grovel to get on the list or buy stuff they don't need to be able to buy the watch they want.
Trouble is have looked at all makes over the years,but always come back to Rolex!
Old 31 October 2020, 05:10 PM   #124
ragsk
Banned

WOS have in recent weeks introduced a new policy. Customers have to be vetted for watches. So if a sales assistant at one of their branches say wants to sell a Daytona to a customer, she has to "apply" for clearance to the regional sales manager or similar senior person. The rarer the watch the tougher the threshold applied by the regional head.

The sales agents have to write a brief bio of their customer. That is then cleared or rejected etc.

WOS introduced this policy to prevent watches getting into the hands of flippers. Thats a good thing imho. However what it might do is further concentrate ownership and make it harder for newbies to get watches.
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 05:26 PM   #125
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post
WOS have in recent weeks introduced a new policy. Customers have to be vetted for watches. So if a sales assistant at one of their branches say wants to sell a Daytona to a customer, she has to "apply" for clearance to the regional sales manager or similar senior person. The rarer the watch the tougher the threshold applied by the regional head.

The sales agents have to write a brief bio of their customer. That is then cleared or rejected etc.

WOS introduced this policy to prevent watches getting into the hands of flippers. Thats a good thing imho. However what it might do is further concentrate ownership and make it harder for newbies to get watches.
Yup I’ve heard exactly the same from trusted sources
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 06:34 PM   #126
od91
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Honestly I believe they have good intentions but I also believe the sales assistants will sell to flippers knowingly to make a bit of extra money.
Old 31 October 2020, 07:09 PM   #127
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
UK Waiting Lists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by od91 View Post
Honestly I believe they have good intentions but I also believe the sales assistants will sell to flippers knowingly to make a bit of extra money.

How do they do they? Why would selling to flippers make them more money?

This line of reasoning presupposes that the SA’s have access to all inventory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 07:27 PM   #128
timlaw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Coke 16710
i think practice varies from branch to branch at the W of S group and it pays to shop around until you find one that works

i have a very good buying history with my local goldsmiths but have lost faith totally as there seems a high turnover of staff there so developing a relationship seems next to impossible

a friend got me an intro to a northwestern goldsmiths and my experience over the last 6 months could not have been more positive as i have asked for 3 watches and got them all in short order

DJ41 steel smooth bezel jubilee wimbledon dial
BB58 blue bracelet
new sub 124060

i had no buying record at that store but had bought maybe 10 watches from the group overall so maybe that helps

124060 Submariner, 16710 Coke, 16570 Black dial, Datejust 41 Wimbledon dial, Tudor Black Bay GMT, Tudor Black Bay 58 Blue, Tudor Black Bay 58 925, Tudor Prince Date Chronograph (panda dial)
timlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 07:35 PM   #129
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
I sometimes wonder how Rolex manages to sell all the watches they produce each year if all this AD stuff reported forum is totally true.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 07:44 PM   #130
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

Stick to the smaller independents in towns and cities outside London. Be loyal, stress you want to buy locally . Then, I’m afraid, it’s patience.._
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 07:54 PM   #131
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I don't/wont jump through hoops to buy a watch. I read earlier on in the thread that some companies vet people. Who do they think they are? The sales assistant is there to sell me a watch, or not, I wont be looked down on when wearing a pair of jeans and a T shirt by someone trying to be superior in a cheap suit and shop voice, if they tried, I would tell them so. I don't need their watch that much.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 07:56 PM   #132
od91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post
How do they do they? Why would selling to flippers make them more money?

This line of reasoning presupposes that the SA’s have access to all inventory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sales assistants know if they’re a grey dealer - they’ll sell them the watch and the dealer gives the sales assistant a private wager top up.
Old 31 October 2020, 08:00 PM   #133
od91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I don't/wont jump through hoops to buy a watch. I read earlier on in the thread that some companies vet people. Who do they think they are? The sales assistant is there to sell me a watch, or not, I wont be looked down on when wearing a pair of jeans and a T shirt by someone trying to be superior in a cheap suit and shop voice, if they tried, I would tell them so. I don't need their watch that much.
It is shocking but a lot of businesses do it. I know someone who walked into car dealership to order a brand new Audi R8 in a tracksuit and not been spoken to, all because of how they’re dressed, you would of thought in this day of age business wouldn’t act this way, but apparently they do. Just look at the way footballers and famous people dress, a look of them look like they’ve not washed and got dressed in the dark but I’m sure they don’t get turned away or ignored.
Old 31 October 2020, 08:00 PM   #134
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:

I believe that this may well be true, I have worked hard to build a relationship with not only my local store but also my the Sales Assistant I deal with, so when I registered for the new Submariner I certainly didn't expect to get a call within 12 days as my expectations were a wait of at least 15 to 18 months as it was a new model.

Watches of Switzerland get a lot of bad press on forums, I have to be honest I haven't found my store to be anything other than brilliant from the first day that I walked in to say hello, they have been nothing less than exceptionally welcoming, friendly and helpful.

I firmly believe that my SA got me my Submariner within the first 3 weeks of launch because of the relationship we had built. People knock the building of this 'relationship' with the SA and the store but I am convinced that it works, and my 124060 is proof of that.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 09:08 PM   #135
Game&Watch
"TRF" Member

Does a place like Harrods take into consideration things you purchased outside of the watch department when allocating Rolex watches? For example if I buy some Tiffany jewelry or clothing does that work towards getting my hands on a Submariner?
Game&Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 10:13 PM   #136
emtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
I believe that this may well be true, I have worked hard to build a relationship with not only my local store but also my the Sales Assistant I deal with, so when I registered for the new Submariner I certainly didn't expect to get a call within 12 days as my expectations were a wait of at least 15 to 18 months as it was a new model.

Watches of Switzerland get a lot of bad press on forums, I have to be honest I haven't found my store to be anything other than brilliant from the first day that I walked in to say hello, they have been nothing less than exceptionally welcoming, friendly and helpful.

I firmly believe that my SA got me my Submariner within the first 3 weeks of launch because of the relationship we had built. People knock the building of this 'relationship' with the SA and the store but I am convinced that it works, and my 124060 is proof of that.
This is great until they leave
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 10:24 PM   #137
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee View Post

Old 31 October 2020, 10:29 PM   #138
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee View Post
That is why you are better off trying to build a relationship with an independent AD - if a staff member leaves, the owner still knows you.
Old 31 October 2020, 10:43 PM   #139
emtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That is why you are better off trying to build a relationship with an independent AD - if a staff member leaves, the owner still knows you.
I think this is true. I got on well with the manager of my local Goldsmiths and he got me my BLNR within a month after one of the junior SA’s refused to even put me on the list. I popped in now and again for a chat and he said if I ever want anything just let him know. Sadly funds wouldn’t allow at the time but after he moved on I went in and asked for a Hulk and was told 5 years - i.e you’re never getting one
Old 31 October 2020, 11:37 PM   #140
Fleegle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good but if the independent ceases to be a Rolex AD, you're stuffed.

With WoS group, purchasing history at each branch (including their airport lounge shops and branded boutiques) is held centrally by the Group - so if your SA departs, or the local WoS/Goldsmiths/Mappin AD closes, you could continue where you left off with another WoS Group branch.

Swings & roundabouts !
Fleegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 11:45 PM   #141
emtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleegle View Post

With WoS group, purchasing history at each branch (including their airport lounge shops and branded boutiques) is held centrally by the Group - so if your SA departs, or the local WoS/Goldsmiths/Mappin AD closes, you could continue where you left off with another WoS Group branch.

Swings & roundabouts !
Not true. Yes they can see your purchase history but much depends on your relationship with your SA - see my post above.
Old 31 October 2020, 11:57 PM   #142
Aberdein
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1982 GMT 16750Matt
Quote:

I believe they also need a copy of your police record showing zero convictions, a blood analysis document, a copy of your degree certificates plus a minimum of two character references....

I think I would rather buy a Grand Seiko... (wash my mouth out).

Aberdein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 01:23 AM   #143
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Swings & roundabouts !
I think that WOS must accept purchases bought at any of their stores as sales history, otherwise I cannot see how I managed to get the new Submariner so quickly.

WOS run my local Omega Boutique and I have purchased watches from there as well as from the Rolex store which is not far from the OB, I am sure that everything is added together when you ask for an unobtainable.

Although I have a great relationship with the Rolex store and the AD I am convinced that you need both to get what you want, buying history and known face relationship.

Last edited by Oxfordian; 1 November 2020 at 01:27 AM.. Reason: Amended
Old 1 November 2020, 01:49 AM   #144
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post

What hard work/ spend on other products did you do to establish the relationship with the SA and the local store
Halifax Daytona UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 02:50 AM   #145
ragsk
Banned

Quote:

Swings & roundabouts !
I think the chance of an AD losing its Rolex status is remote - I know it happens but its still unlikely to happen to your AD.

The chance of your sales agent leaving are much much higher. Sure your WOS history may count for something but the next sales agent you move onto will have his or her own customer base that they have known for years and will obviously be biased towards feeding them first.

You also have zero relationship with that person. Trust me your purchase history is nice and all that but unless you are a major customer it doesn't differentiate you much from the crowd in this mad jungle - what counts is your relationship with your sales agent - like multiple times more imo.
Old 1 November 2020, 03:23 AM   #146
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Daytona UK View Post
What hard work/ spend on other products did you do to establish the relationship with the SA and the local store
Read my posts, but in summary I went looking for a OP/DJ for my first Rolex, settled on a DJ, my wife liked mine so a few months later we bought her one, in addition we had previously bought jewellery at the store. On 1st September I asked for a new Submariner, then went and registered my interest, got the call 12 days later, collected 7 days after that.

No hoops, no games, just a simple process of getting what I wanted when I wanted it. So I am a happy customer, my SA is happy that they have made the sale, the AD is happy as they have made a profit. Wins all round. When I ask for my next Rolex (assuming I want one), I know that I am going to be taken seriously and I know that I have a great chance of getting what I want in a reasonably short period of time.

This is what I call building a relationship.

Old 1 November 2020, 04:17 AM   #147
Combine man
"TRF" Member

Sounds like you have a good relationship with your dealer,it does make life easier.We are very happy with the independent AD we use,same staff for 5 years to my knowledge,and shop owner on site.
Worth the 4 hour drive to get there.
Looks like we are going back in lock down in the UK,does watch shopping count as essential travel?
Hope every one where ever you are keep well
Old 1 November 2020, 06:01 AM   #148
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combine man View Post
Sounds like you have a good relationship with your dealer,it does make life easier.We are very happy with the independent AD we use,same staff for 5 years to my knowledge,and shop owner on site.
Worth the 4 hour drive to get there.
Looks like we are going back in lock down in the UK,does watch shopping count as essential travel?
Hope every one where ever you are keep well
Watch shopping is definitely essential both in terms of travel to the store and being in the store, after-all we need to keep the economy going.

The only downside is that the store is WOS which means they look at my locality, I am hoping to move house next year so will be 250+ miles from the AD if the move goes ahead, wonder if that still classes as local?

Overall, I am very happy how my Rolex AD dealings have gone, others may disagree but I have the watches I want without having to jump through these supposed hoops that apparently exist elsewhere.

Old 21 November 2020, 07:29 AM   #149
od91
"TRF" Member

Another great video from Paul Thorpe. Here is the majority of people’s reality from WoS, a guy was told there’s a maximum of 2 year for a Sub Date, waited over 2 years, he chased the dealer, the new ref had been released, he was told to buy stuff he didn’t want to climb the list and get to back of the queue. Absolute madness.

The comments on the video are brilliant.

https://youtu.be/Bv7PG5T-fu8
Old 21 November 2020, 08:10 AM   #150
AM4R
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game&Watch View Post
Does a place like Harrods take into consideration things you purchased outside of the watch department when allocating Rolex watches? For example if I buy some Tiffany jewelry or clothing does that work towards getting my hands on a Submariner?
Yes they do. Get a black card and spend some money on it!
AM4R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
availability , scarcity