The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 October 2020, 03:23 AM   #31
Jordan1415
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmp View Post
Good choices *except* do yourself a favour and get the fluted bezel. It's really the classic bez in concert with the jubilee. If it's a cost consideration, wait until it fits your budget. The blue or rhodium is a tough call - I have the rhodium and have never been happier.

If you haven't seen these watches *in
person* this is an exercise in futility.

I realise you didn't need this picture but I figured another look might be helpful.
It’s not cost, I just don’t like it.
Jordan1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 03:25 AM   #32
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
I have an obsession with a DJ diamond dial, fluted bezel on jubilee. That's my favorite DJ configuration, the blue would be a millimeter under it, they're are both beautiful.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 03:51 AM   #33
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsthetime? View Post
Thanks.
I wanter something different than the fluted, jubilee due to already owning this configuration. I also wanted the sportier, slightly toned down look.
All solid reasons.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 04:12 AM   #34
whatsthetime?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
All solid reasons.
Cheers
Old 1 October 2020, 04:28 AM   #35
Joe_Row
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
Wow they had quite the selection there. That's quite surprising. I've been in touch with Robinsons in Altrincham and they were quoting up to 8 months on the blue, fluted DJ41.
This was Robinson’s in Liverpool, I’ve bought all my pieces through them so it’s a good relationship.
2020 Rolex Explorer 214270
2016 Omega Seamaster Co-Axial
Joe_Row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 04:29 AM   #36
Joe_Row
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan1415 View Post
What AD is this !
Mine is supposed to be the biggest Rolex AD in the UK and they don’t have a rhodium or blue in any spec for me to see
Where is your AD based? My AD is in Liverpool and the pieces I looked at were not in the window, they were hidden away :)
Old 1 October 2020, 04:36 AM   #37
Gwai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This isn't exactly what you asked for - but I just love this photo. It's one of my favourite watch photos ever actually.

+1

Cheers
Marc
Gwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 04:43 AM   #38
seanmulhern
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deepsea
Quote:
This isn't exactly what you asked for - but I just love this photo. It's one of my favourite watch photos ever actually.

That's a stunning picture!! Digging the shirt type as well. This is exactly why everyone wants this model in the safe
seanmulhern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 04:57 AM   #39
UK_
"TRF" Member

I have been through this.

I bought the blue with smooth bezel, sticks in Jubilee.

Beautiful watch, but I regretted not buying the fluted version.

So I bought it, and now have the blue with fluted and Jubilee, and blue with smooth and oyster.

Two of the absolute most beautiful watches to me are the blue and the rhodium DJ41 with fluted and jubilee.

You need to try both and decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UK_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 07:02 AM   #40
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwai View Post
+1

Cheers
Marc
I agree too. Although I've always bought the fluted bezel DJ's, I see a picture like this and think: man, that configuration looks amazing.

Great photo, great watch. Interesting thread with insightful, well thought out posts. A delightful change from the sport watch shortage and AD back door activities.

Old 1 October 2020, 07:40 AM   #41
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s not cost, I just don’t like it.
I understand. I sincerely didn't mean any offense with regard to your financial or lifestyle situation.

However, the fluted, white gold bezel does add significantly to the price. In the past there have been 'fair weather' TRF users that, without admitting it, clearly are not really financially 'ready' to buy a luxury watch and go to great lengths to try shave costs in order to acquire a Rolex. (A futile effort IMO)

Clearly, you're not in this category.

If you thought my comment had any such implications, you're wrong. Are there folks that desire a Rolex but really are in over their head? Absolutely. There are always people 'keeping up with the Jones' or trying to create a phony persona....that's probably existed since the dawn of time.

Compromising when buying a watch leads to regret, remorse and being unhappy: I know a couple of guys that compromised when buying luxury items both of which resulted in an unpleasant experiences afterwards. I mentioned the bezel cost simply to state: get *exactly* what you want even if it requires waiting a little longer because in the long run you'll be happiest.

Old 1 October 2020, 08:43 AM   #42
BLT2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I understand. I sincerely didn't mean any offense with regard to your financial or lifestyle situation.

However, the fluted, white gold bezel does add significantly to the price. In the past there have been 'fair weather' TRF users that, without admitting it, clearly are not really financially 'ready' to buy a luxury watch and go to great lengths to try shave costs in order to acquire a Rolex. (A futile effort IMO)

If you thought my comment had any such implications, you're wrong. Are there folks that desire a Rolex but really are in over their head? Absolutely. There are always people 'keeping up with the Jones' or trying to create a phony persona....that's probably existed since the dawn of time.

Compromising when buying a watch leads to regret, remorse and being unhappy: I know a couple of guys that compromised when buying luxury items both of which resulted in an unpleasant experiences afterwards. I mentioned the bezel cost simply to state: get *exactly* what you want even if it requires waiting a little longer because in the long run you'll be happiest.

Well said. I was very much fixed on buying a DJ36 but was super indecisive as indicated by the multiple threads I started asking for configurations. I wanted to keep costs low (not due to financial position, but just due to my general frugality), not have to wait and to be "classic" with the 36.

I wasted so much energy and then just decided why not consider the 41? All hesitation went away and I knew the exact configuration I wanted. Within a handful of hours, all hesitation was gone and I made a request/put myself on a waitlist for a 126300 with the jubilee bracelet. I'm going to suck it up, part with the extra $1k and get the watch I love.

I would have deeply regretted buying the DJ36, would have had to rationalize how dainty it is on my large wrists ("this is the classic men's size... it's not too small!") and overall wouldn't have gotten the one watch collection I really wanted - I'm buying this as a milestone, and it would be a shame to feel stuck with that watch that just doesn't feel perfect to you. I'm buying the watch to celebrate a beautiful moment in my life and I better buy the watch I consider to be beautiful to celebrate that moment (and to part with my hard earned money).

That being said, I think the difference between blue and rhodium is negligible in the sense that you could flip a coin and not go wrong. It's 1A and 1B to me. I think the rhodium would personally suit me more but they're both the hottest DJ41s for a reason.

Maybe go for blue if you are more interested in being flashy / noticed and rhodium if you like a subtler look. I prefer subtle but some people look great with the blue - especially people with nice tans as it isn't too flattering on pasty white skin.

Also agree with OP - the smooth bezel and jubilee combo looks amazing on the 41s. Funny because it looks terrible on the current DJ36 in my opinion.
BLT2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 01:00 PM   #43
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Try rhodium for something different.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 04:32 PM   #44
Soultime
"TRF" Member

I'm hoping the OP is going to buy everyone a beer at the end of all this.

Have previously seen threads like this where it all goes quiet and then someone bumps it asks the outcome....only for the OP to say they changed their mind altogether and bought something completely different.

Don't do that to us OP
Soultime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 04:33 PM   #45
escobar144
Banned

Watch: Submariner/DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Row View Post
I had the exact same dilemma as you, and ive been finding it so difficult to decide - so I went to my AD last week and said id probably stick with my choice of the rhodium, but to my surprise they had both dial colours in, in my ideal config's too.

Once I saw the blue I just fell in love, the Rhodium isnt very legible in certain lighting and I think my AD hit the nail on the head when she said "maybe you should keep the darker colours for the sports models, as most of them are black".

ive gone for the Blue and will collect it in the next week or so.

How did the DJ 41/Exp 1 feel compared to the OP41?
escobar144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 07:51 PM   #46
RoRoRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40
grey / silver as neutral as possible. black can appear to harsh imho
RoRoRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 09:08 PM   #47
Jordan1415
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultime View Post
I'm hoping the OP is going to buy everyone a beer at the end of all this.

Have previously seen threads like this where it all goes quiet and then someone bumps it asks the outcome....only for the OP to say they changed their mind altogether and bought something completely different.

Don't do that to us OP
Nope, I am 100% buying one of them.
As I said, my order for the blue is already in so it’s just a matter of sticking with that one or changing colour.
Old 1 October 2020, 09:16 PM   #48
Jordan1415
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It’s ok, no offence taken.
I’m certainly not rich but I could get fluted if that’s what I wanted.
In my opinion it’s a bit feminine looking.
I bought a Breitling Super Avenger earlier this year ( my 2nd one ) after this datejust I won’t be getting anymore until I’m offered a sub which I have been promised within a couple of years as long a I buy the datejust.
I wish I could afford to be able to just go buy any watch I want anytime I want and I wouldn’t have this predicament but I’m just a regular working guy who saves up so I can buy things like this and I feel very fortunate to be in a position to be owning a Rolex.
Old 1 October 2020, 09:46 PM   #49
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT2020 View Post
Well said. I was very much fixed on buying a DJ36 but was super indecisive as indicated by the multiple threads I started asking for configurations. I wanted to keep costs low (not due to financial position, but just due to my general frugality), not have to wait and to be "classic" with the 36.

I wasted so much energy and then just decided why not consider the 41? All hesitation went away and I knew the exact configuration I wanted. Within a handful of hours, all hesitation was gone and I made a request/put myself on a waitlist for a 126300 with the jubilee bracelet. I'm going to suck it up, part with the extra $1k and get the watch I love.

I would have deeply regretted buying the DJ36, would have had to rationalize how dainty it is on my large wrists ("this is the classic men's size... it's not too small!") and overall wouldn't have gotten the one watch collection I really wanted - I'm buying this as a milestone, and it would be a shame to feel stuck with that watch that just doesn't feel perfect to you. I'm buying the watch to celebrate a beautiful moment in my life and I better buy the watch I consider to be beautiful to celebrate that moment (and to part with my hard earned money).

That being said, I think the difference between blue and rhodium is negligible in the sense that you could flip a coin and not go wrong. It's 1A and 1B to me. I think the rhodium would personally suit me more but they're both the hottest DJ41s for a reason.

Maybe go for blue if you are more interested in being flashy / noticed and rhodium if you like a subtler look. I prefer subtle but some people look great with the blue - especially people with nice tans as it isn't too flattering on pasty white skin.

Also agree with OP - the smooth bezel and jubilee combo looks amazing on the 41s. Funny because it looks terrible on the current DJ36 in my opinion.
Great posts guys! Your decision to eschew the 36mm is very wise especially if your initial impression was poor. My first AK was 34mm and although it was beautiful, the nagging feeling of the small size never went away. Some can wear these smaller sizes and they look great but I prefer something a little larger.

Well I don't wanna hijack the thread any longer: nice speaking to you.

Old 1 October 2020, 09:54 PM   #50
borsche
"TRF" Member

Blue for me. Luv it.

borsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 09:18 PM   #51
Jordan1415
"TRF" Member

* UPDATE *
Managed to source a rhodium and go try it on last night and I’m 90% sure that’s now ruled out.
Although I didn’t dislike it I certainly didn’t love it, the times I thought it look best was when it was at an angle making it look black.
I think the actual rhodium colour is a bit bland.
Old 2 October 2020, 09:35 PM   #52
Joe_Row
"TRF" Member

Quote:
* UPDATE *
Managed to source a rhodium and go try it on last night and I’m 90% sure that’s now ruled out.
Although I didn’t dislike it I certainly didn’t love it, the times I thought it look best was when it was at an angle making it look black.
I think the actual rhodium colour is a bit bland.
So are you gonna go for Blue now?
Old 2 October 2020, 11:47 PM   #53
Jordan1415
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Row View Post
So are you gonna go for Blue now?
Heading to my Rolex AD now to see blue in person on another watch then I will decide, if I'm not keen I’ll be getting black as I know I like that.
Old 2 October 2020, 11:49 PM   #54
nicky77
"TRF" Member

I prefer the rhodium.
I find that it is a more versatile color for me. I do however have other blue dialed watches.
nicky77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 12:26 AM   #55
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Blue, no question about it.
Old 3 October 2020, 01:06 AM   #56
whatsthetime?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The times I thought it look best was when it was at an angle making it look black.
Then you'll definitely love the blue being it looks black depending on the lighting, but also pops beautiful different hues of blue. As I mentioned, you'll have two different dials in one. Below are a couple of photos I took trying to catch different hues of the blue when I received it before I traded for the silver.
IMG_0897.jpeg

IMG_0888.jpeg
Old 3 October 2020, 01:52 AM   #57
campfire
"TRF" Member

I love the blue. So much that we have two watches with that dial in the family. And I'm likely going to add another one. Haha.

Anyway, one thing to note perhaps is that the sunray blue dial is amazing. As others have said, this makes the dial very interesting. But the shade of blue does change depending on the angle and light. Just something to be aware of in case it helps.

Really can't go wrong with all your options. You're going to get a great watch either way.

Good luck and looking forward to pics.
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 02:14 AM   #58
whatsthetime?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by campfire View Post
really can't go wrong with all your options. You're going to get a great watch either way.
+1
Old 3 October 2020, 02:56 AM   #59
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Blue ... if, you can get it.

Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 04:28 AM   #60
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmulhern View Post
That's a stunning picture!! Digging the shirt type as well. This is exactly why everyone wants this model in the safe
This is how a DJ41 is supposed to fit. Ample space on either side of the case on the wrist.

Unlike many photos I’ve seen elsewhere in this forum.
Sprezzatura!, is offline   Reply With Quote