The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 August 2018, 12:54 AM   #1
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Can't a Rolex wearer enjoy a Seiko?!

I'm a huge Seiko fan. Always have been. Got a blue turtle about a week ago and I love it.

Had an interesting little talk with a saleswoman at Macy's on 34th street the other day.

They were having a Seiko sale. A pretty decent one and I went to check it out at lunch.

Asked to see the golden turtle (srpc44). When I took my DJ41 off and placed it on the counter (directly on the glass), the woman commented that my watch had a nice "rolex style bracelet" to which I just replied thanks. Then she picked my watch up to see it and saw that it was a Rolex and immediately put it back down.

She asked me why I was looking at Seikos when I had a Rolex. Not sure if she believed if it was real or not, but I spoke to her for a few minutes about how I always liked them. She said she had never personally seen someone wearing a Rolex buying these "cheaper" watches at Macy's. Perhaps that makes some sense. She didn't really understand. Some of my friends don't understand it either. Oh well.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 01:01 AM   #2
august1410
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1983 15003
Seiko was my go-to watch before I got the Rolex. I still love Seikos and pick up inexpensive vintage ones when I can find them. I look at it this way, I like what I like and don't think much of it.
Old 7 August 2018, 01:12 AM   #3
onemany
"TRF" Member

Seikos make some great watches for the money. Some of the grand seikos are gorgeous.
onemany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 01:15 AM   #4
redfoxer
"TRF" Member

I think this will always happen unfortunately, at least with the more value choices due to the disparity in price, especially to the "layman"/non enthusist. I don't think you'd get the same reaction if you was shopping for a grand seiko for example! :)

To put things into perspective since I've purchased my SRPC91 it has easily made main wrist time ahead of my Rolex watches due to lifestyle. So much so, I'm starting to think more seriously about the marine master!

It's a good example of how turtles and other bang for buck seiko's definitely putting up a fight with higher value pieces.

You can definitely like seiko and rolex (and others) all the same. Unfortunately, the appreciation of watches in different pricing tiers can tend to be lost on those who are not enthusiasts.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
redfoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 01:16 AM   #5
FTX I
"TRF" Member

It's the 'normal' point of view Syed. Not surprised. Unfortunately the price point seems to define the brands and we are a small minority that knows how important Seiko is. TBH the same happens to many Swiss brands that had their glory days in the 40s, 50s and 60s like Longines, Eterna, Universal and Tissot. Not much we can do about it.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 01:37 AM   #6
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Have 3 rolexes. Have 2 grand Seikos, 3 normal seikos with a fourth on the way. Lots of love for seiko amongst wis.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 01:45 AM   #7
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

I enjoy my Seiko more than my Rolex, I wore my Seiko while checking out Rolex. Seiko diver watches are iconic in their own way yet beautiful, reliable, inexpensive, came with Seiko in-house movement.

oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 01:51 AM   #8
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1888 Appleton Trac
Simply put ANYONE that turns their nose up to you for wearing a Seiko (or any watch of your choosing) is a mere puss and a fraud. A love of a watch is a love of a watch.

I love my recently purchased (from a member here) 'Golden Turtle' along with my Rolex's, Tag's, Omega's ........ you get the picture !
twitch54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 02:00 AM   #9
Brew
"TRF" Member

I thought that's what I did just yesterday.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 02:02 AM   #10
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Next time I'll wear my snowflake and see if there is any response.

Probably not.

My dad sometimes likes going into the Invicta store in the Garden State Plaza wearing his sub and then asking to see the closest thing they have to a sub knockoff. He's completely innocent about it and I have to drag him out of there.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 02:02 AM   #11
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Next time I'll wear my snowflake and see if there is any response.

Probably not.

My dad sometimes likes going into the Invicta store in the Garden State Plaza wearing his sub and then asking to see the closest thing they have to a sub knockoff. He's completely innocent about it and I have to drag him out of there.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 03:02 AM   #12
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

The real question should be, once a Rolex wearer puts on a Grand Seiko, can they ever enjoy their Rolex again?
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 03:54 AM   #13
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
It wasn't until I got into Rolex that I began to learn just how great the Seiko line really is.

Because Seiko has not traditionally sold their better watches in the US, many American don't realize that the Seiko line is so broad.

Many make the mistake of believing that price is the only measure of quality.

I've developed a healthy respect for the Seiko 5 line and if I were younger and knew what I know now, I'd have a lot more Seiko watches in my collection.

One lives and learns.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 04:00 AM   #14
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
I have not taken mine off since I got it. Swim with it like it was meant, sun screen, sweat. No problem. I love this watch. In fact IMO it makes a better diver than a Submariner. Just has so much going for it. And at $1050CAD.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 04:10 AM   #15
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

this situation only works if they also sell grand seiko and its an up sell ...which macy's doesnt. Otherwise they are attempting to talk themselves out of a sale.

Weird. I want a seiko, grand or otherwise.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 04:16 AM   #16
Star Ferry
Banned

Yeah, I remember when I took off my BLNR to have a PADI Turtle sized, the saleslady seemed very confused

A non-enthusiast is going to buy the best he can afford. Only an enthusiast would wear a 3 figure Seiko while multiple luxury watches sit in the safe
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 04:24 AM   #17
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
The sign of a real watch enthusiasts is one who enjoys their timepieces regardless of perceived value.

There are more than a few on TRF who own a precious metal Rolex (or two) that still giggle like a kid a recess when sporting a lower tier Seiko.

I love my SRP and SKX Seiko's. They are tough as nails and get the job done.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 05:19 AM   #18
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Wearing this today at the pool even though I have a Patek and Rolex in my bag! I like all types of watches but Seiko and GS are a favorite of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8 August 2018, 12:06 AM   #19
NoVaSubowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
Wearing this today at the pool even though I have a Patek and Rolex in my bag! I like all types of watches but Seiko and GS are a favorite of mine.

I have the same piece, except mine is mounted on a "waffle" strap. Its a great watch and almost too nice for a beater. The accuracy is amazing and I love it.
NoVaSubowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 03:41 AM   #20
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaSubowner View Post
I have the same piece, except mine is mounted on a "waffle" strap. Its a great watch and almost too nice for a beater. The accuracy is amazing and I love it.

I agree with you. I call them beaters but I treat them the same as my high end watches.

Old 7 August 2018, 05:56 AM   #21
SearChart
TechXpert

Seiko's still gets most of my wrist time, I just love them
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 06:23 AM   #22
karmatp
"TRF" Member

I’m wearing a IWC right now after going to gym and playing a quick 9 at my local golf course. Back to Seiko tomorrow for the rest of the week.

I am a pretty active guy, so a Seiko diver is strapped to my wrist most of the time including work. Weekends I always wear one of my nicer watches, thinking Speedy Pro next weekend.
Old 7 August 2018, 08:22 AM   #23
Star Ferry
Banned

My sbdc059 feels as well-finished as watches I own (or have owned) from IWC, Tudor, and Omega. At a fraction of the price of the Swiss brands

One of the first watches I owned was a Patek. I now feel like an idiot for not starting with Seiko and building my appreciation from there
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 09:08 AM   #24
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
I'm a huge Seiko fan. Always have been. Got a blue turtle about a week ago and I love it.

Had an interesting little talk with a saleswoman at Macy's on 34th street the other day.

They were having a Seiko sale. A pretty decent one and I went to check it out at lunch.

Asked to see the golden turtle (srpc44). When I took my DJ41 off and placed it on the counter (directly on the glass), the woman commented that my watch had a nice "rolex style bracelet" to which I just replied thanks. Then she picked my watch up to see it and saw that it was a Rolex and immediately put it back down.

She asked me why I was looking at Seikos when I had a Rolex. Not sure if she believed if it was real or not, but I spoke to her for a few minutes about how I always liked them. She said she had never personally seen someone wearing a Rolex buying these "cheaper" watches at Macy's. Perhaps that makes some sense. She didn't really understand. Some of my friends don't understand it either. Oh well.
Maybe just tell her it's like owning a Rolls Royce and a Japanese SUV. One is more fun to drive (and better value).
Old 7 August 2018, 10:03 AM   #25
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
What the sales lady said is quite true in a general senses but not necessary applicable for most things. In life, we can enjoy different things, regardless of price-tags. I can enjoy my Seikos nearly as much as my more expensive watches because they are such fun watches to wear, and I can wear it worry-free.

I can enjoy fine-dinning gourmet cuisine and also enjoy chopping down on cheap fast food like KFC.
Old 10 August 2018, 07:17 AM   #26
111forza
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
What the sales lady said is quite true in a general senses but not necessary applicable for most things. In life, we can enjoy different things, regardless of price-tags. I can enjoy my Seikos nearly as much as my more expensive watches because they are such fun watches to wear, and I can wear it worry-free.

I can enjoy fine-dinning gourmet cuisine and also enjoy chopping down on cheap fast food like KFC.
100% agree
111forza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 10:33 AM   #27
rb250
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Seiko
For me it shouldn't be about the price of a watch. Its what ever makes you happy. I do not own a Rolex (YET) but plan on purchasing one soon. I have a Omega, Pelagos, and a seiko. The seiko makes a great beater watch.
rb250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 01:35 PM   #28
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
The way I see it, I MOVED UP to Grand Seiko after owning several Rolexes.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 01:05 AM   #29
avilhena
"TRF" Member

The sale's lady is not a watch enthusiast, so it is no surprise she would think a Seiko is just a cheap watch for people with no means to get something "nicer" in her view. I dont see a problem in that.

It takes some knowledge to fully appreciate the Seiko brand.

I recently bought a Presage Starlight (SARY085) and showed it to a close friend who happens to own an AD in my hometown (cartier, panerai, iwc, breitling and hublot) and he was impressed with the watch. He said he would never thought that Seiko did such nice watches, only cheap, disposable pieces.

So, sometimes, even people who deals with watches for a living dont know how nice a Seiko can be.
Old 8 August 2018, 03:48 AM   #30
City74
Banned

Watch: Speedy Reduced
I have 2 Seiko in my collection. My SKX is my beater which I use when mowing the yard etc. The other is the SNZH53 which has one of the prettiest blue colors I have seen on a watch. Each watch was under $150 and worth every penny.
City74 is offline   Reply With Quote