The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 24 October 2018, 01:18 AM   #1
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
<<<Swiss watch sales report Hodinkee >>>

Perhaps some of you have already read the report ....

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/sw...eid=88a401c043

Interesting info

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 01:30 AM   #2
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Maybe those luxury watch buyers really are cross shopping Apple Watches. /s
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 02:02 AM   #3
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenciawatchrepair View Post
I'm not sure they are cross shopping. They just aren't buying luxury watches anymore.

I hear people talk about their connected watches and all the things they can do. I think it's just the trend right now in the US. Everyone wants to know how many steps they are taking, if they get a text, what their heart rate is, what kind of sleep they are getting etc. Our company, as many I suspect, have this as part of their wellness program which basically has you tracking every little detail of your life. The incentive is a break on their health insurance and everyone seems okay with giving up this information readily with no thought of privacy or how that data might be used.

Me, I refuse to buy into it. I don't want some corporation (or multiple corporations) tracking these details of my life.

#analogwatch4lyfeyo
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 02:20 AM   #4
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
I have yet to buy an Apple Watch but I am starting to see the appeal now that they no longer need to be tethered to your phone. The Apple Watch can now make and receive calls without your phone, you can stream music and podcasts without your phone, etc. I am looking for ways to spend less time with my phone so to speak and this helps in that process. The health aspects keeping track of my workouts, etc. are a bonus. Since I do not have one I do not know for sure, but I assume there is a mechanism to control what you share and what you do not share with apple so that they do not have access to your personal health info. I could be wrong, but I think that is where things are heading -- giving consumers more control over their data.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 02:26 AM   #5
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
I have yet to buy an Apple Watch but I am starting to see the appeal now that they no longer need to be tethered to your phone. The Apple Watch can now make and receive calls without your phone, you can stream music and podcasts without your phone, etc. I am looking for ways to spend less time with my phone so to speak and this helps in that process. The health aspects keeping track of my workouts, etc. are a bonus. Since I do not have one I do not know for sure, but I assume there is a mechanism to control what you share and what you do not share with apple so that they do not have access to your personal health info. I could be wrong, but I think that is where things are heading -- giving consumers more control over their data.
Completely agree. Right or wrong, I believe there is an appeal to having information at our fingertips, so to speak. How many steps did I take today, how many flights of stairs did I climb, how many hours did I sleep, what is my pulse rate etc. I am a confessed geek, and admit this is an attractive scenerio. Do I actually USE it? No, probably not, but with more and more information available to us, we feel empowered, and I think you are right about where watches are going.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 02:50 AM   #6
SDRider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Completely agree. Right or wrong, I believe there is an appeal to having information at our fingertips, so to speak. How many steps did I take today, how many flights of stairs did I climb, how many hours did I sleep, what is my pulse rate etc. I am a confessed geek, and admit this is an attractive scenerio. Do I actually USE it? No, probably not, but with more and more information available to us, we feel empowered, and I think you are right about where watches are going.
Does knowing these things benefit you in any measurable way? If you didn't know would your life be less full-filled? I'm assuming you would walk the same number of steps, climb the same flights of stairs and sleep the same amount regardless of whether you track them or not.

I kind of like being un-tethered to my technology. It is one of the reasons I like to ride my motorcycle. There are no phone calls, no texts (I don't text when driving anyway), and no radio, just me and my thoughts.

It is probably one of the reasons I like going on those offshore fishing boats for multiple days at a time. It certainly isn't to catch fish because it is WAAAAY less expensive to just buy fresh fish at the market. When you're offshore there is no cell phone coverage, no news, no TV, no radio. You are completely cut off from your technology. If you bring a phone along you can use it to watch movies or listen to music (assuming you have it downloaded to your device) but that's about it. I usually bring my phone but just use it to take some pics or a couple short videos. That's about all it is good for.

FTR-I do like to catch fish and we did good on this last trip.
Old 24 October 2018, 02:53 AM   #7
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
Does knowing these things benefit you in any measurable way? If you didn't know would your life be less full-filled? I'm assuming you would walk the same number of steps, climb the same flights of stairs and sleep the same amount regardless of whether you track them or not.

I kind of like being un-tethered to my technology. It is one of the reasons I like to ride my motorcycle. There are no phone calls, no texts (I don't text when driving anyway), and no radio, just me and my thoughts.
Nope, not one bit. Maybe with the exception I do try to walk 10,000 steps a day, we can have discussion after discussion about that particular number but I figure it is a goal and not a bad one. But to answer your question, generally, it wouldn’t make a bit of difference. Still, being a Nerd/Geek like I am, there is a certain attractiveness to having that information available. It’s hard to explain I guess, but it is an attraction. Does any other geek know what I mean and can explain it better?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 03:05 AM   #8
SDRider
Banned

Quote:
Nope, not one bit. Maybe with the exception I do try to walk 10,000 steps a day, we can have discussion after discussion about that particular number but I figure it is a goal and not a bad one. But to answer your question, generally, it wouldn’t make a bit of difference. Still, being a Nerd/Geek like I am, there is a certain attractiveness to having that information available. It’s hard to explain I guess, but it is an attraction. Does any other geek know what I mean and can explain it better?
I understand it. I just question the benefit vs the amount of information you are giving up about your daily life.

Personally, I've made the decision not to give that information (well, any more info than my phone already gathers). I won't wear a fitbit or any other fitness tracker.

I used to ride road bikes quite a bit and would frequently track distance, cadence, average speed, HR etc. on my rides. Then sometimes I would leave the bike computer at home and just go out and ride. I found it liberating to go out and just enjoy the ride and not focus on the stats.
Old 24 October 2018, 04:02 AM   #9
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
Looking for ways to spend less time with your phone.....by strapping one to your wrist....
Old 24 October 2018, 04:33 AM   #10
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
My phone counts my steps, so I'm not really sure why I would need an ADDITIONAL device strapped to me to do the same thing? If the main draw of smart watches is step counting, just have your phone do it?
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 04:35 AM   #11
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
My phone counts my steps, so I'm not really sure why I would need an ADDITIONAL device strapped to me to do the same thing? If the main draw of smart watches is step counting, just have your phone do it?

Well going by that logic, your phone also tells the time... Lol
Old 24 October 2018, 05:16 AM   #12
utc66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, PAM112,EZM1
The watch business reminds me a little of the vintage guitar trade. Back in the late 90s, vintage guitars were hot and overpriced and selling. Since then it's slowed down to a drizzle, baby boomers are selling of their guitars and there is now a glut, Gibson near bankruptcy, etc. My friend and old band-mate who has played guitar forever stated, "if no new guitars are ever made again, there'll still bee too many out there." I kind of feel that for watches now, I mean how many can the economy absorb? Except Rolex of course :)
utc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 05:26 AM   #13
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by utc66 View Post
The watch business reminds me a little of the vintage guitar trade. Back in the late 90s, vintage guitars were hot and overpriced and selling. Since then it's slowed down to a drizzle, baby boomers are selling of their guitars and there is now a glut, Gibson near bankruptcy, etc. My friend and old band-mate who has played guitar forever stated, "if no new guitars are ever made again, there'll still bee too many out there." I kind of feel that for watches now, I mean how many can the economy absorb? Except Rolex of course :)
I think guitars and watches are a bit different. They've become more than just a tool. They're part of fashion. No one walks around with a guitar strapped to them because it matches an outfit or something.
Old 24 October 2018, 06:36 AM   #14
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I had similar thoughts, so I bought an iWatch. Ended up wearing for about 6 weeks and then selling it to a buddy. I just did not like it.

I really like the idea of the watch, but just couldn't make it work. I missed my "real" watches too much.
Old 24 October 2018, 06:53 AM   #15
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
Well going by that logic, your phone also tells the time... Lol
Ok stop hitting me with logic and common sense like that dammit!

I do suppose there's no real NEED for any watch these day, smart or otherwise, except for appearance sake (which a Rolex does a much better job at I must say)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk
Old 24 October 2018, 08:49 AM   #16
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
The DUH moment in this is easy— when there is no stock to buy, of course Apple Watch sales and all others will go up
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 09:01 AM   #17
Keadog
"TRF" Member

I'm wearing a new series 4 Apple watch now. Nice to know my step count is within the range to keep me from keeling over during a normal work day (and I stand a lot, which I knew).
Once I get a baseline sampling, I'll probably go back to rotating my mechanicals and use the Apple watch for exercising to eliminate the chest strap (primary reason for purchase). All the other info is cool, but it's already on my phone.
It is pretty impressive though.
Keadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 11:50 AM   #18
77T

Quote:

In the segment having the greatest slump (under $3K) the Apple Watch is displacing the wrist real estate that a TAG would have otherwise occupied on a Millennial.

Quote:
Right or wrong, I believe there is an appeal to having information at our fingertips, so to speak. How many steps did I take today, how many flights of stairs did I climb, how many hours did I sleep, what is my pulse rate etc. I am a confessed geek, and admit this is an attractive scenerio.

There is value to those buying AW’s or other wearable tech. Whether it is logical, practical, or just FOMO - the results show they’re willing to part company with mechanical watches.

No watch is selling more units than the smart watch segment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 11:54 AM   #19
77T

Quote:
I understand it. I just question the benefit vs the amount of information you are giving up about your daily life.

Personally, I've made the decision not to give that information (well, any more info than my phone already gathers). I won't wear a fitbit or any other fitness tracker.

I used to ride road bikes quite a bit and would frequently track distance, cadence, average speed, HR etc. on my rides. Then sometimes I would leave the bike computer at home and just go out and ride. I found it liberating to go out and just enjoy the ride and not focus on the stats.

Do you carry a cellphone while riding?

The same tracking (absent heart rate) is at work behind the scenes. Google Maps, Cellular, WiFi roaming, and more are sharing your info with carriers and Apps. It can be turned off, of course, but few people do that.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 12:12 PM   #20
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
In the segment having the greatest slump (under $3K) the Apple Watch is displacing the wrist real estate that a TAG would have otherwise occupied on a Millennial.
Yes, "on a Millennial." That's my point. These people don't cross shop watches. They're not sitting there in the Apple store thinking, "hmmm should I get this.....or the Tag Heuer." It's just all Apple watch from the beginning. If it wasn't the Apple watch, it would be nothing on their wrist.
Old 24 October 2018, 12:39 PM   #21
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Looking for ways to spend less time with your phone.....by strapping one to your wrist....
Every tried reading this forum on a watch? It strips it down to basics -- phone calls (and not many of those anymore) and whatever notifications I choose to receive or not receive. I am not going to be responding to emails and most of my texting is with my wife.

Again, do not have one and not sure how I would use it in practice, but I have deleted many, many apps from my phone to reduce screen time. Re-subscribed to long form journalism to retrain myself to be able to sit and read for extended periods of time. I have noticed changes in how I consume information due to my phone and I don't like it so I am looking to change my behavior. Its hard but working on it.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 01:40 PM   #22
SDRider
Banned

Quote:
Do you carry a cellphone while riding?

The same tracking (absent heart rate) is at work behind the scenes. Google Maps, Cellular, WiFi roaming, and more are sharing your info with carriers and Apps. It can be turned off, of course, but few people do that.

Sometimes I turn it off. Just to feel truly free. That’s a true story.
Old 24 October 2018, 09:56 PM   #23
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Agree with this. I have seen several men at work switch from low-to-midrange mechanical watches over to Apple or Fitbit watches. That segment, as pointed out above, is the one really most at risk by smart watches. I don't think there are a whole lot of folks that want a Rolex, but then decided to get a $300 Apple watch instead. Most in the Rolex category probably simply ADD a smart watch if they want one.

I really think this is behind Rolex's strategy of going even more high end with pricing and supply. The luxury mechanical watch segment is probably the one least likely to be affected by the smart watch industry. But anything from Fossil, Tag, Tissot and even up to possibly Omega and Tudor are going to feel the pinch. I think many of the lower brands may end up going out of business in the next few years.
Old 24 October 2018, 10:16 PM   #24
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:

It is probably one of the reasons I like going on those offshore fishing boats for multiple days at a time. It certainly isn't to catch fish because it is WAAAAY less expensive to just buy fresh fish at the market. When you're offshore there is no cell phone coverage, no news, no TV, no radio. You are completely cut off from your technology. If you bring a phone along you can use it to watch movies or listen to music (assuming you have it downloaded to your device) but that's about it. I usually bring my phone but just use it to take some pics or a couple short videos. That's about all it is good for.

FTR-I do like to catch fish and we did good on this last trip.
It's data and data is only good if you utilize it properly. For most people, all that information is worthless. If you have fitness or weight loss goals, it can be very useful. Many of these new smart watches (not just Apple) automatically download workout data into programs like Training Peaks to track progress. Personally, I use devices more specific to my workouts so other parameters can be measured like power output and cadence and have it all on an easy to see screen in front of me. Let's face it, though. Most people have them because it's the "cool" thing to have. Just like all these newbies buying Rolex because it's a status symbol and has broad brand recognition.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2018, 06:39 AM   #25
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
The swiss watch exports definitely decellerated. I suspect with chinese mkt tanking now global mkts following. Availability will start improving. I would be surprise the data improves next 2-4 months
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote