The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 May 2020, 10:01 AM   #1
YYR
"TRF" Member

Straight out of Instagram

I was flying a few months back, as I was taking a walk down the aisle with my young son, I noticed two people sitting in the first row both wearing AP royal oaks
If I remember correctly one was wearing a rose gold chrono on a strap and I think the other was wearing a steel offshore, anyway next time I walked up the aisle I rolled up my sleeves so that they would notice my watch ( I was looking to strike up a conversation) sure enough I see them glancing at my wrist, so I said hello and started talking to them, before long we were trying on each other’s watches, then one of the guys asks me to get down his bag so he can show me what he was traveling with, turns out these guys where traveling pretty heavy, they each had thier own watch roll and between the two of them I estimated that they where traveling with like 250k worth of watches, I was traveling with a few pieces myself so I brought my watches and showed them, long story short we had a really nice talk, my question is has anyone else had such an experience in the wild? I felt like I was meeting someone straight out of Instagram
YYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 10:15 AM   #2
Shdrolex
"TRF" Member

Woow, cool story. I have never had such experience.
Shdrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 10:42 AM   #3
st8edge
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 4K
One of the rare times I complimented someone wearing an interesting watch at the table next to me and the person acted like I was a crazy person with a surprised look and no comment. It was in a Boston coffee shop, midday and I was with my wife and he was with a women. I was wearing an AP Royal Oak and the person at the next table was wearing a Bell and Ross. I assumed people in Boston just don't make small talk and I have never started a conversation about someone's watch since. I do make small talk with people all the time but have not done so about watches. Maybe he thought I had evil intent.
st8edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 11:26 AM   #4
HaiovR
"TRF" Member

No experience like that, but I always look at the wrists of other people to see what they are wearing))
HaiovR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 11:34 AM   #5
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
It's always good to chat with others that share a similar interest/hobby.
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 11:47 AM   #6
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Cool! Thanks for sharing ...
Hollie_Rollie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 12:10 PM   #7
YYR
"TRF" Member

I always talk with people about watches and I always notice what they are wearing but that was a crazy experience, very often when traveling I’ll see the guy wearing the gmt or the sub, sometimes I’ll compliment but generally they don’t seem interested.
Old 25 May 2020, 12:13 PM   #8
YYR
"TRF" Member

If I remember correctly besides for the AP’s that they where wearing one had a Cartier and two APs in his watch roll and the other had a fresh 5711 white dial and a blue JLc reverse, was pretty cool, the 5711 he told me he got from govberg
Old 25 May 2020, 12:24 PM   #9
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yess View Post
It's always good to chat with others that share a similar interest/hobby.
Perhaps, but it’s not always welcomed by the other party. There are many threads here on TRF where it doesn’t go well. However, good for our OP here who had a very positive outcome.
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 04:54 AM   #10
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
I haven't but know this hobby has brought me some incredible friends and experiences both in person and online.

Watch enthusiasts certainly have a community of sorts, one that's very kind, welcoming, and generous. It's always nice finding people out there who understand this passion. I also need to get myself an AP, that's without a doubt the next step for me!
RW16610 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 10:58 PM   #11
ecdc
"TRF" Member

Nothing like that, but I was flying FRA-IAD last week and wearing my SS Daytona. One of the flight attendants had a SS Nautilus. We struck up a conversation.
ecdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 12:51 AM   #12
sahcivan
Banned

Watch: ing you watch me
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecdc View Post
Nothing like that, but I was flying FRA-IAD last week and wearing my SS Daytona. One of the flight attendants had a SS Nautilus. We struck up a conversation.
I’m in the wrong job hahah
sahcivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 05:18 AM   #13
NKflyer
"TRF" Member

Several years ago, I was travelling on a long distance Amtrak train and noticed a guy in the viewing car wearing a Coke GMT. As luck would have it, we were seated at the same table for dinner and it was easy to strike up a conversation about it since I had my Coke GMT on as well. The unusual part is that both watches were 16760 "Fat Ladies" - a fairly short-lived 1980's reference - in the wild in 2015. I expected his to be a 16710. About 2 days later, the mainspring in my watch broke which turned into a fancy bracelet for the rest of my trip.
NKflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 11:11 AM   #14
Alloutmk23
"TRF" Member

On a last min flight back home from Florida I was super tired and stuck allll the way in the back of the aircraft. The flight attendant handed me my drink and I noticed his master II 116710. Not sure if he was taken aback by how tired I looked (I was borderline dreaming) but he was really appreciative when I complimented him on it.
Alloutmk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 06:18 PM   #15
snypa
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Bluesy!
Here in the UK in my local area I barely get any comments, see a few glances now and then mainly with the bluesy. Spent a week in LA and had 2 convos, first from a bus driver in LAX who had a 114060 hanging off his wrist like a bracelet (unsure if genuine or not). Then an encounter with a young iHop server who said it was his absolute dream watch (114060), I asked if he would like to try it on and he looked shocked, but politely declined as manager on shift would not be very happy. I said just keep saving, and you will get there one day!

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

"Time will continue to move forward, whether you choose to make something of it or not"
snypa is offline   Reply With Quote