The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 30 January 2018, 07:08 AM   #121
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Awesome thread!
pilotjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2018, 07:32 AM   #122
Prestige_Swiss
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Looks like you'll have to add a GMT!

Told my wife the same thing. Her words “you aren’t a pilot yet” hahah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Prestige_Swiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2018, 09:05 AM   #123
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

Got my PPL about 5 years ago....been able to fly some awesome cross-country trips. New England to southern California twice in light sport airplanes.
Old 30 January 2018, 09:34 AM   #124
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
That's awesome, John! I'm so happy to see you've started the process!! What would you say was the most memorable moment? Can't wait to hear that!
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2018, 02:34 PM   #125
Prestige_Swiss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotjim View Post
Got my PPL about 5 years ago....been able to fly some awesome cross-country trips. New England to southern California twice in light sport airplanes.
Those sound like some great trips. How long did the flights take?
Old 30 January 2018, 02:41 PM   #126
Prestige_Swiss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
That's awesome, John! I'm so happy to see you've started the process!! What would you say was the most memorable moment? Can't wait to hear that!
Well first of all thank you Rommel for this awesome thread. There were so many memorable moments but the main two that sealed the deal were right at take off when we stopped on the runway and the instructor had me give it full throttle while also telling me to make sure I stay on the rudders to keep the plane straight and once we hit the speed we needed he had me pull on the yoke and I was amazed at how quick the plane got in the sky. The second part was when we flew over the reservoir and I was able to turn the plane. Definitely an experience I will always remember.
Old 30 January 2018, 02:51 PM   #127
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

Paul and I flew this F/A-18s. Flying is a pretty cool experience. Enjoy it as much as you can.
Old 30 January 2018, 04:13 PM   #128
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Wow, would love to hear some of your stories from those (or other) flights you've been on. Did you end up renting hourly or did you purchase an aircraft? The biggest thing holding me back is exactly that. I'm not doing this to become a commercial pilot and can't seem to justify purchasing a Cessna (or similar aircraft). The hourly rates can add up quickly once lessons are done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestige_Swiss View Post
Well first of all thank you Rommel for this awesome thread. There were so many memorable moments but the main two that sealed the deal were right at take off when we stopped on the runway and the instructor had me give it full throttle while also telling me to make sure I stay on the rudders to keep the plane straight and once we hit the speed we needed he had me pull on the yoke and I was amazed at how quick the plane got in the sky. The second part was when we flew over the reservoir and I was able to turn the plane. Definitely an experience I will always remember.

Incredible! That's one heck of a memorable moment, well both certainly are! Did you encounter any turbulence at all? Flying over water for the first time (on the day I did) certainly made things interesting. You encounter any traffic in the air? Also, what altitude did you take the controls at? So many more questions for you lol. Wasn't it the best feeling ever when you've got the controls, looking at the instruments and truly realizing you're actually in full control of an aircraft for the first time ever?
Old 31 January 2018, 04:30 AM   #129
gliderpilot
"TRF" Member

Watch: your attitude
Congratulations, flying is quite addictive, especially the "Look mom, no engine..." kind ;-)

Wishing you many happy hours in the sky!!!

gliderpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 05:43 AM   #130
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestige_Swiss View Post
Those sound like some great trips. How long did the flights take?
First trip was from Rialto airport (now closed) just east of Ontario, Ca. It took 3 1/2 days to fly to Pittsfield, Ma. The weather cooperated very well! I flew a newly purchased Jabiru J230. I flew about 6.5 to 7 hours a day.

Second trip was westbound. I flew from Pittsfield to Frazier Lake Airpark just outside of San Jose. It took about 5 days as I was grounded in Wichita for a day and a half with rain and low overcast. That trip was in a Tecnam Bravo P2004 that I was delivering to a buyer.

I had a blast on both trips! Lots of great memories!
Old 31 January 2018, 05:57 AM   #131
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow, would love to hear some of your stories from those (or other) flights you've been on. Did you end up renting hourly or did you purchase an aircraft? The biggest thing holding me back is exactly that. I'm not doing this to become a commercial pilot and can't seem to justify purchasing a Cessna (or similar aircraft). The hourly rates can add up quickly once lessons are done.
I buy and sell small airplanes. Those two trips were in LSAs and were the longest. I've also picked up and delivered from Florida, Indiana, and South Carolina. I love doing it, and each one is a totally different experience!

I got myself in a bit of nerve-wracking experience a couple of times with potentially bad weather. Somewhere over Illinois in the Jabiru, I got some clouds under me. It looked like skies were clearer further to the east, but the further I went, the thicker the clouds got below me. Finally, I was at the point where there were very few breaks in the clouds. Even though my weather briefing indicated VFR weather at my destination, I wasn't seeing it! I finally found a hole in the clouds and spiraled down through it. It was snowing lightly beneath the cloud cover, but it was still VFR, and I was able to make it safely to my stop for the night. I really should have turned back when the clouds started getting worse, but I didn't.

You can't always trust a weather forecast!!
Old 31 January 2018, 09:21 AM   #132
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliderpilot View Post
Congratulations, flying is quite addictive, especially the "Look mom, no engine..." kind ;-)

Wishing you many happy hours in the sky!!!

Gliders must be a blast! I've certainly seen how addictive it can be and so simple to have the passion grow

Quote:
I buy and sell small airplanes. Those two trips were in LSAs and were the longest. I've also picked up and delivered from Florida, Indiana, and South Carolina. I love doing it, and each one is a totally different experience!

I got myself in a bit of nerve-wracking experience a couple of times with potentially bad weather. Somewhere over Illinois in the Jabiru, I got some clouds under me. It looked like skies were clearer further to the east, but the further I went, the thicker the clouds got below me. Finally, I was at the point where there were very few breaks in the clouds. Even though my weather briefing indicated VFR weather at my destination, I wasn't seeing it! I finally found a hole in the clouds and spiraled down through it. It was snowing lightly beneath the cloud cover, but it was still VFR, and I was able to make it safely to my stop for the night. I really should have turned back when the clouds started getting worse, but I didn't.

You can't always trust a weather forecast!!
Wow! Another incredible story right there. For me personally, I would be terrified to be caught out in something like that solo without an IFR rarting. So I guess that aspect of the hobby is what made it easier for you do do those long flights and keep active? The ability to buy an aircraft for a hobby would be so nice! Any info you can possibly provide on the overall cost breakdown? Hanger / tie down spot?

That can add up very quickly, so I guess it could be why some (who can) consider ownership. The rate for a multi makes the rest look like a bargain though For the long run buying a headset vs. renting one for $10 CAD each time seems sensible.
Old 31 January 2018, 10:32 AM   #133
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Gliders must be a blast! I've certainly seen how addictive it can be and so simple to have the passion grow

Wow! Another incredible story right there. For me personally, I would be terrified to be caught out in something like that solo without an IFR rarting. So I guess that aspect of the hobby is what made it easier for you do do those long flights and keep active? The ability to buy an aircraft for a hobby would be so nice! Any info you can possibly provide on the overall cost breakdown? Hanger / tie down spot?

That can add up very quickly, so I guess it could be why some (who can) consider ownership. The rate for a multi makes the rest look like a bargain though For the long run buying a headset vs. renting one for $10 CAD each time seems sensible.
Those costs seem fairly typical. I've got access to some pretty reasonable hangars (100/month), but it's like anything else, you gotta buy it right to make a profit. And there are definitely risks; you gotta do a lot of homework.
Old 31 January 2018, 11:49 AM   #134
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
As long as we are on this subject.... My civilian hours were in a 172 and a Piper. Does anyone else find this happening to them?

The Piper, no problem landing, I could grease them on. The 172 (Over-wing) uh.. not so much. I could never get the flare correct. It somehow did not feel “right” to me hanging underneath the lift component (the wing), I was much more comfortable sitting on top of it. Maybe because I learned to fly in a T-34 (low wing) ? Or... maybe I’m just weird.

Anyone else find that to be the case either way?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 12:41 PM   #135
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
As long as we are on this subject.... My civilian hours were in a 172 and a Piper. Does anyone else find this happening to them?

The Piper, no problem landing, I could grease them on. The 172 (Over-wing) uh.. not so much. I could never get the flare correct. It somehow did not feel “right” to me hanging underneath the lift component (the wing), I was much more comfortable sitting on top of it. Maybe because I learned to fly in a T-34 (low wing) ? Or... maybe I’m just weird.

Anyone else find that to be the case either way?
I started in Cessnas and got used to them. But I own a Cherokee now and find it easier to land. The high wings seem more apt to react to the wind and make it more difficult to obtain a smooth touchdown.
Old 31 January 2018, 12:57 PM   #136
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
I started in Cessnas and got used to them. But I own a Cherokee now and find it easier to land. The high wings seem more apt to react to the wind and make it more difficult to obtain a smooth touchdown.
Thanks Jim! I feel better now
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 12:59 PM   #137
Sperry
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I didn't get to experience that yet but I'm willing to bet it was intense the first time. From my experience (as someone that spends most of my time on land) it certainly takes some getting used to.
Everything was quiet. Then it seemed like the elevator floor dropped out from under us. Even 30 minutes later the queasiness was strong. So I decided to stick with hobbies closer to home

Hats off to anyone and everyone not affected!

Now, if our plane goes down in the ocean, I'll be the one towing you a dozen miles to shore, alternating between the back stroke and freestyle
Sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 01:28 PM   #138
eman1200
"TRF" Member

Sorry, too nice not to share.....

eman1200 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 11:32 PM   #139
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
Sorry, too nice not to share.....

Nice shot! I'm sure you had fun that day

The original images I posted on postinage.org expired so I'll share a few again:

Old 1 June 2020, 05:58 AM   #140
qua13
Banned

Nice picture to stick your first-time aircraft piloting....... thanks for sharing.
qua13 is offline   Reply With Quote