The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 27 August 2017, 11:34 AM   #1
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
My first time flying (warning:image heavy)

Yesterday I had quite the adventure! I was able to get behind the controls of an aircraft for the first time with an instructor. I'm sure this forum has a lot of pilots / enthusiasts so thought I would share some of the images with you.

It was a clear day but lots of turbulence. I was actually pretty scared when I had the controls for the first time and felt all of that. Either way, it makes for an incredible story to share with others. Anyway, here are the pictures:

This one's for you, Breitling fans!

Finally found the flight academy

Here's the plane! Cessna 172

Couldn't forget the wrist shot!

Terrible picture but I was afraid of the amount of wind that would come in from the prop before the engine started

More of the Avionics in action

Instructor begins taxiing to Runway 30B

Climbing to 3,000 feet

Right before the instructor disengaged the autopilot, allowing me to take over. I actually had the controls and turned to this heading BUT the turbulence was pretty intense for me I felt.

After flying over the lake and turning I head towards the airport for a while before the instructors takes the controls again, seen below

He warned me from the beginning it would be a bumpy ride that day and the landing was no exception

All done, back safely

I must say, that was quite the thrill. The turbulence and that G-Force sensation will take some getting used to. It all happened so fast and seemed a bit overwhelming. Starting my first turn there was a helicopter 1,500 feet below us at my 10 o'clock position. Keeping an eye on it while turning, and doing this for the first time was rather scary. Memories I'll cherish for a lifetime, nonetheless! Thanks for checking out my thread
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2017, 11:39 AM   #2
themast
"TRF" Member

Wow, this looks great, thank you for thanking us up there with you!

I have always dreamt of getting a license but never really acted on the idea. Perhaps one day...
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2017, 11:46 AM   #3
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
Awesome! I'm about 15-16 hours in private pilot training. I'm learning on a cirus sr20. Today we practiced power on and power off stalls, steep turns, and turning stalls. I'm a couple hours from my first solo.
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2017, 11:50 AM   #4
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themast View Post
Wow, this looks great, thank you for thanking us up there with you!

I have always dreamt of getting a license but never really acted on the idea. Perhaps one day...
You should take the first step and go for your introductory lesson! It all happens so fast. I can start logging hours now with an instructor. As much as I want that thrill, it's tough to make the time with work and all. Also, tough to give up a BLNR or Hulk added to my collection to get my PPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
Awesome! I'm about 15-16 hours in private pilot training. I'm learning on a cirus sr20. Today we practiced power on and power off stalls, steep turns, and turning stalls. I'm a couple hours from my first solo.
That's incredible! I think that as I log more hours I'll be used to it. The turbulence was wicked that day. So much so that at one point the instructor and I looked at each other and he literally said "Ouuuu...." He was in control at that point. I'll have to get used to that G-Force feeling, indeed!
Old 27 August 2017, 11:53 AM   #5
moyski
"TRF" Member

Nice photos! Brings me back my flying school days! C172 is a great plane to learn flying. Keep the autopilot off! Takes the fun out of flying if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
moyski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2017, 11:57 AM   #6
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyski View Post
Nice photos! Brings me back my flying school days! C172 is a great plane to learn flying. Keep the autopilot off! Takes the fun out of flying if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indeed! It was nice to see how all of that works. To be honest I was so focused on keeping it steady in that turbulence I wasn't able to think of much else.

I had no idea how sensitive the controls were, and had no heads up. That made for an interesting moment or two. Turning the turn I did it very gently and slowly. Some correction in heading was needed later so we could land but it was alright over all.
Old 27 August 2017, 12:44 PM   #7
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Great pics! Best of luck getting your PPL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2017, 12:51 PM   #8
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
Great pics! Best of luck getting your PPL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks! I really look forward to more adventures during the learning process. Still can't believe I finally got this started
Old 27 August 2017, 01:24 PM   #9
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
Very cool...

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2017, 01:34 PM   #10
eman1200
"TRF" Member

I haven't posted on this forum in almost 5 years. I caught the Rolex bug and was on here to learn but I decided to get my pilots license with my saved up funds instead. Been flying for almost 5 years now and love every minute of it (watch pun intended). Greatest thing I've ever done. Stick with it!!! PM me if u have any questions.
eman1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2017, 01:34 PM   #11
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Very cool...
It definitely was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
I haven't posted on this forum in almost 5 years. I caught the Rolex bug and was on here to learn but I decided to get my pilots license with my saved up funds instead. Been flying for almost 5 years now and love every minute of it (watch pun intended). Greatest thing I've ever done. Stick with it!!! PM me if u have any questions.
Great story! PM sent!!!
Old 27 August 2017, 02:28 PM   #12
SG56
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
Very nice!!! I'm envious!

My husband once gifted me with a "fighter pilot for a day," as he knew i always say that in my next life i'll be a fighter pilot LOL
everyone should try this!!!
https://aircombat.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66068_1558113827155_3231968_n.jpg (70.9 KB, 1142 views)
SG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2017, 02:34 PM   #13
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG56 View Post
Very nice!!! I'm envious!

My husband once gifted me with a "fighter pilot for a day," as he knew i always say that in my next life i'll be a fighter pilot LOL
everyone should try this!!!
https://aircombat.com/
Now THAT'S awesome! Maybe you just helped me figure out how to get used to this The experience on that jet had to be intense!
Old 27 August 2017, 02:42 PM   #14
SG56
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
Now THAT'S awesome! Maybe you just helped me figure out how to get used to this The experience on that jet had to be intense!
OMG, unbelievable! I think we pulled almost 4 Gs.
I have a video somewhere too.

6 dog fights against other customer.
We were the last one of the day and got to do acrobatics too.

So, they take of and land, and up there you have controls (except the one on the feet for tilting). Super awesome!

I had a grin on my face for a month LOL

Enjoy your license and flying!!! I truly envy you!
SG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2017, 02:43 PM   #15
carwash66

Watch: Rolex/Tudor
Great thread! Congratulations on your first flight!

Brings back memories. My wife and put over 1400 hundred hours on our Cessna 172 Skyhawk. When I decided I wanted to get my license, purchased a 3 year old Skyhawk from a private seller. She only had 72 hours total time on engine and airframe.
We had a lot of wonderful hours in that plane.

Hope you continue to fly. Please post again after your first solo, I'm sure your excitement level will be off the charts!
Be safe and have fun!
Old 27 August 2017, 03:06 PM   #16
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG56 View Post
OMG, unbelievable! I think we pulled almost 4 Gs.
I have a video somewhere too.

6 dog fights against other customer.
We were the last one of the day and got to do acrobatics too.

So, they take of and land, and up there you have controls (except the one on the feet for tilting). Super awesome!

I had a grin on my face for a month LOL

Enjoy your license and flying!!! I truly envy you!

Wow, I bet you were! Please post that video here if you've got it uploaded to YouTube. If not, please upload it

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwash66 View Post
Great thread! Congratulations on your first flight!

Brings back memories. My wife and put over 1400 hundred hours on our Cessna 172 Skyhawk. When I decided I wanted to get my license, purchased a 3 year old Skyhawk from a private seller. She only had 72 hours total time on engine and airframe.
We had a lot of wonderful hours in that plane.

Hope you continue to fly. Please post again after your first solo, I'm sure your excitement level will be off the charts!
Be safe and have fun!
Thanks! Your experience sounds incredible there! The freedom and joy of owning a plane must be out of this world! Where did you end up flying the most? What was the longest flight?

The 172's a great aircraft. I'll be sure to share any pictures from my next adventure when I can!
Old 27 August 2017, 08:44 PM   #17
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
What an amazing experience. Thank you for sharing and the wonderful pictures. btw good job you were wearing the GMT! Lol

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2017, 09:48 PM   #18
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Congratulations. You never forget your first time. Your life has been changed now.

Thanks for sharing and bringing us up with you.
Bluside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2017, 09:54 PM   #19
nick c
Banned

Looks like a great experience, I'm also thinking to start flying,there is another place in Richmond hill
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2017, 10:06 PM   #20
Magwitch
Banned

It is fun! When in college I flew with my boss who was getting his IFR certification. Some time after that we flew from NJ to Transpo '72 at Dulles (it was not a commercial airport at that time.) The 747 was a new place back then and created quite a stir.
Magwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2017, 10:28 PM   #21
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Congratulations Rommel It's something I've always wanted to do. This and skydive
Old 27 August 2017, 10:40 PM   #22
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
That's fantastic Rommel, congratulations!

I alway wanted to fly, but so far haven't had the gumption

I'd did parachute back in the day ... Those days are long gone
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (46.8 KB, 1087 views)
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2017, 10:55 PM   #23
WatchingAustin
"TRF" Member

Watch: iwatch
Have you that about flying helis at all? Looks fun
WatchingAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2017, 11:16 PM   #24
rodo
"TRF" Member

Congrats! I fly into Oshawa once in a while
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2017, 11:56 PM   #25
Cryten
"TRF" Member

This takes me back. I learned on 172s all those years ago.

Keep at it and get your PPL, the watch can wait (I hope I don't get flamed for saying this on a watch forum)
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2017, 01:06 AM   #26
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
What an amazing experience. Thank you for sharing and the wonderful pictures. btw good job you were wearing the GMT! Lol

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Haha yeah, the GMT Master II was a must! The instructor kept looking it but didn't end up asking anything. I'm certain he knew exactly what it was, of course. The watch made me feel like a pro on the ground in the left seat before the turbulence reminded me I wasn't just yet LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
Congratulations. You never forget your first time. Your life has been changed now.

Thanks for sharing and bringing us up with you.
Thanks! And I'm already seeing how true this is. Yesterday I went roller blading on "The Waterfront Trail" by Lake Ontario. I've noticed that I already look at the sky totally differently to before (if that makes any sense). Still in disbelief! It all happens so fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
Looks like a great experience, I'm also thinking to start flying,there is another place in Richmond hill
Buttonville airport is still open, yeah? I thought they had plans to turn that land into a mall or something (Cadillac Fairview). I think Toronto Airways already moved from there for the most part but I didn't realize it was still going! Honestly man, do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwitch View Post
It is fun! When in college I flew with my boss who was getting his IFR certification. Some time after that we flew from NJ to Transpo '72 at Dulles (it was not a commercial airport at that time.) The 747 was a new place back then and created quite a stir.
Oh wow! That sounds incredible! I love hearing stories like that Since you mention larger aircraft it reminds me of the fact I'm happy nothing that size typically passes anywhere near the airport I was at. I'm not ready for potential wake turbulence off one of those, even with the separation minimums lol. Come to think of it, I did see a video of a C-17 Globemaster doing a low pass at this same airport a while back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Congratulations Rommel It's something I've always wanted to do. This and skydive
Thanks!!! It's such a great feeling! I highly recommend you give it a try! It changes your life, it really does! Absolutely nothing seems out of reach now

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
That's fantastic Rommel, congratulations!

I alway wanted to fly, but so far haven't had the gumption

I'd did parachute back in the day ... Those days are long gone

Thanks! That's awesome! I've never gone skydiving yet but who knows what the future holds lol. For now I'll focus on saving up to do the PPL in chunks to avoid having too many gaps in between that can ultimately slow me down / make it tougher.

The first time in such a small aircraft can be a bit scary sometimes but it's worth some consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchingAustin View Post
Have you that about flying helis at all? Looks fun
Never actually considered learning to fly one of those! It would be nice to try some day though. I wonder if they're more difficult? I like the concept of being able to hoover in those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodo View Post
Congrats! I fly into Oshawa once in a while
Thsanks! That's so cool! How often? Also, in what aircraft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
This takes me back. I learned on 172s all those years ago.

Keep at it and get your PPL, the watch can wait (I hope I don't get flamed for saying this on a watch forum)
Seems like a lot are fond of the 172! I'm very happy to be able to say it's the first plane I ever had control of! Makes perfect sense why so many would like it.

I totally do want my PPL! I've got no problem doing it but can't afford to do it all at once at the moment so I'll have to save up, regardless. The more I think of it the less tempting the second watch gets. In time I know I'll have both but the order this happens in is yet to be determined
Old 28 August 2017, 02:31 AM   #27
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Started on a C152 and Piper Tomahawk back in the days

And times did change

If you see the newer Cessna's equipped with the G1000

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2017, 02:35 AM   #28
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Love flying and aviation. Thanks for sharing
PanosI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2017, 03:23 AM   #29
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
Started on a C152 and Piper Tomahawk back in the days

And times did change

If you see the newer Cessna's equipped with the G1000

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Yeah, I saw that Garmin G1000 in action in a few YouTube videos. Learning with the traditional analog instruments seems best but I feel as if the layout of the G1000 makes things much easier. I'll eventually get there, some day lol. Having a larger screen for navigation seems best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanosI View Post
Love flying and aviation. Thanks for sharing
A great thing to be passionate about, isn't it? Hope you have the chance to experience this too if you haven't already
Old 28 August 2017, 04:56 AM   #30
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
Nice thanks for sharing
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote