The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 April 2020, 11:33 PM   #31
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Speaking of risk acceptance... this was the last time I mt biked... went over the handle bars at the crest of a hill and down a steep hill landing on both my hands to break my fall. Shortly after that I switched to Rowing. But I do crave getting back into Mt biking lately. The problem where I live now is I have to drive anywhere to ride. When I lived in NY I could ride from the house and be on a trail.

gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 12:31 AM   #32
GfromMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by jph4387 View Post
I"m looking at slightly more affordable. Those are sweet but I'm currently looking at some offerings from Giant. The local dealer in my little town is a Giant dealer and I would like to shop local, especially in this economy.
I have the 2019 Giant Trance 2 (Metallic Green). I think it's a great bike and an excellent value. Good luck with your search!

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-2-2019
GfromMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 01:01 AM   #33
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Ouch! Looks painful, gnuyork. Six of our ski patrol/mountain bike patrol people have gone over the handlebars on the downhill trails in the past four years breaking clavicles, AC joints and wrists. These days I will walk my bike down the steeps or across narrow wooden structures rather than risk a fall and the following three months of listening to my bones crunch.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 01:21 AM   #34
jph4387
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
I agree completely. I buy all of my tools and accessories from our local bike shop, even though I could get them cheaper online.

I don’t know if you’ve mentioned your age or your level of risk acceptance. I’m 64 and three years ago crashed skiing, shattering a collarbone and breaking seven ribs. My level of risk-taking has dropped markedly, and I can happily get by with a bike like a Trek. I’ll likely never exceed its capabilities, at least on purpose.
I have a Giant Talon 2 for me and ATX for my wife that is being delivered tomorrow that I bought to get out with our son and pound the pavement around the neighborhood and I'm hitting the trails this weekend. As I read more I do think I should have gotten a little more bike but oh well. Around here it is pretty flat so I'm not going to be flying downhill like the Rockies or the PNW and frankly I"m not an adrenaline junkie. I just want a very capable bike to do some moderate trail riding and cross country to have some fun and get outdoors.

Like I said one of my most important things is to support the local shop because I'm in a small town and they're one of the more prominent businesses. They also have a restaurant attached to the shop and owners couldn't be nicer or more helpful. They're a Giant, Santa Cruz, and Pivot dealer. One option is they have Santa Cruz 5010 demos that I'd like to try and potentially buy their demo at the end of the year or continue looking at the Giant Stance, Trance, and Anthem series.
jph4387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 01:40 AM   #35
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
I have a Giant Talon 2 for me and ATX for my wife that is being delivered tomorrow that I bought to get out with our son and pound the pavement around the neighborhood and I'm hitting the trails this weekend. As I read more I do think I should have gotten a little more bike but oh well. Around here it is pretty flat so I'm not going to be flying downhill like the Rockies or the PNW and frankly I"m not an adrenaline junkie. I just want a very capable bike to do some moderate trail riding and cross country to have some fun and get outdoors.
You’re good Enjoy your riding!
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 01:45 AM   #36
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post

Hard tail is my favorite as well. I'll never ride a dual sus.
Never say never. Although I can and have taken my hardtail everywhere I’ve ridden a fs, as I get older, my body appreciates the more forgiving ride.
Old 15 April 2020, 02:05 AM   #37
TNT009
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Never say never. Although I can and have taken my hardtail everywhere I’ve ridden a fs, as I get older, my body appreciates the more forgiving ride.
I agree

My first was a HT and I pt a shock in seat post and it helped a little, but after back surgery I need forgiveness of of a FS. But must higher end FS have a lockout switch. Best of both worlds.
TNT009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 02:34 AM   #38
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
My boy’s learning that trail on his 20” hardtail.....
Attachment 1126947

Attachment 1126948

Rad!!
TheWatchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 02:36 AM   #39
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Like I said one of my most important things is to support the local shop because I'm in a small town and they're one of the more prominent businesses. They also have a restaurant attached to the shop and owners couldn't be nicer or more helpful. They're a Giant, Santa Cruz, and Pivot dealer. One option is they have Santa Cruz 5010 demos that I'd like to try and potentially buy their demo at the end of the year or continue looking at the Giant Stance, Trance, and Anthem series.

Enjoy man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheWatchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 04:22 AM   #40
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Working mountain bike patrol on the lift-served downhill trails today. Everyone is practicing good distancing techniques. It’s nice to be doing something normal today.

Old 31 May 2020, 04:31 AM   #41
Zoomerang
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600
How do you like those Chupas tires?

I got a emtb recently: Trek Powerfly 9.7 LT and the things is awesome
Zoomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 07:12 AM   #42
pyrostick
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I am about to order a Santa Cruz 5010 cc x01 as a goal present to myself. I have lost 50 pounds since January, and wanted a gift that would keep me on track and continue my love for bicycles!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
pyrostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 08:06 AM   #43
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Might have one in there somewhere.....
36F63F21-222A-4862-A9C0-E8E464A06E03.jpeg
Old 31 May 2020, 08:24 AM   #44
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
My son and I have mid-drive mountain bikes and it’s worth the investment if that’s something you haven’t considered yet. We can pretty much ride anywhere and twice the distance before we got the assistance. Both bikes are fantastic. Full suspension were out of our budget. Mine is a Fuji and my son’s bike is Marin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 08:25 AM   #45
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomerang View Post
How do you like those Chupas tires?
I like them a lot. I run tubeless. I also run pretty low pressures (12-14 pounds) because of the terrain.
Old 31 May 2020, 08:28 AM   #46
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
My son and I have mid-drive mountain bikes and it’s worth the investment if that’s something you haven’t considered yet. We can pretty much ride anywhere and twice the distance before we got the assistance.
Our resort rents out some Trek E-bikes. They run about $6,500 each. We take them out on the trails frequently, and they make you feel like Superman. I’m amazed at the power they have to accelerate uphill. So fun to ride.
Old 31 May 2020, 09:56 AM   #47
qua13
Banned

Yeti is one of the best brands for mountain bikes.
qua13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 10:49 AM   #48
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Our resort rents out some Trek E-bikes. They run about $6,500 each. We take them out on the trails frequently, and they make you feel like Superman. I’m amazed at the power they have to accelerate uphill. So fun to ride.
That’s awesome! The Trek e-bikes are beautiful. The e-bikes definitely make you feel like Superman. I absolutely love them. The first time I rode one the sensation was a total trip.

Old 31 May 2020, 11:21 AM   #49
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qua13 View Post
Yeti are nice bikes, but what makes you think so?
Old 31 May 2020, 11:39 AM   #50
Aquaholic_user
"TRF" Member

I recommend tubeless, and hope hubs.
Aquaholic_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 01:48 PM   #51
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I"m looking at slightly more affordable. Those are sweet but I'm currently looking at some offerings from Giant. The local dealer in my little town is a Giant dealer and I would like to shop local, especially in this economy.
Pick up a Trance, great bike
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 12:44 AM   #52
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrostick View Post
I am about to order a Santa Cruz 5010 cc x01 as a goal present to myself. I have lost 50 pounds since January, and wanted a gift that would keep me on track and continue my love for bicycles!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Congrats on meeting the goal.

That is a nice bike! I rode one for years.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 12:46 AM   #53
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The wife and I rented specialized Como e-bikes in Sonoma. I was blown away at how I flew up the 12-15% grades that had me crying on my road bike. I told her that will be my 70th birthday present. Now I just have to wait 17 years.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 1 June 2020, 12:47 AM   #54
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qua13 View Post
Sure wish they fit for me.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 1 June 2020, 02:26 AM   #55
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
That’s awesome! The Trek e-bikes are beautiful. The e-bikes definitely make you feel like Superman. I absolutely love them. The first time I rode one the sensation was a total trip.
Don’t get it myself.

Surely pedalling yourself is far more satisfying, and better for you.

If you want to go quickly, wouldn’t a scrambling bike be a greater adrenalin rush?
Rolexatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 02:51 AM   #56
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexatlast View Post
Don’t get it myself.

If you want to go quickly, wouldn’t a scrambling bike be a greater adrenalin rush?

At my age and what time I have I’ll take any form of exercising

Old 1 June 2020, 06:32 AM   #57
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Don’t get it myself. Surely pedalling yourself is far more satisfying, and better for you.
If it ever came to a point where the choice was give up mountain biking or buy and use an e-bike (due to age or medical issue, for instance) I’d choose to continue riding the beautiful singletrack trails through the woods on an e-bike.
Old 1 June 2020, 07:26 AM   #58
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Don’t get it myself.

It’s a sign of the times; looking to get the same results with less effort.
Old 1 June 2020, 08:42 AM   #59
Doc Savage
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 124060
I just got back into trail riding. I live in a Mountain biking mecca, so I had the chance to ride all the major brands before buying. The best advice I got from a friend was not to buy high end right away. It's important to figure out precisely what you like and don't like by getting riding miles under your belt. Only then will you learn what options and bike geometry are the most important.

Here's the Giant Stance 29 XL frame I got a few weeks ago. I'm 6' 2", 200 lbs, and this one fit me better than all others. So far, it is serving me extremely well. After a year or so on the trails, I will probably upgrade. Whichever bike you get, I HIGHLY recommend you get a dropper seat (aftermarket is easy to do if your bike doesn't come stock).

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 10:09 AM   #60
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Don’t do this. This afternoon after my patrol shift, I set my bike against the carrier on the back of my pickup. I was going to load it after one last task. When done, I got in my truck and backed over the bike. Fortunately, I was parked on a dirt lot, so it’s not damaged as bad as it could have been. The frame appears good. The seat is crushed. The deraillleur is bent. Not sure about the crank or brakes.