The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 1 June 2020, 01:55 AM   #1
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Who invented the screw down crown?

Was it Rolex?

What about the screw down caseback?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 03:09 AM   #2
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR

The concept of the screw-down crown was not invented by Rolex, but was first used by Rolex in 1926 in an Oyster case. Hans Wilsdorf, the Rolex owner, actually bought the idea from the two inventors Georges Peret and Paul Perregaux. On October 18, 1926, the screw-down crown was legally protected by Rolex. To date, the concept is the most widespread crown protection against water. The principle is simple: the tube of the watch ends in a screw thread, the counterpart of which is locatedon the inside of the crown. Here too, O-rings are used for sealing, with only one difference. In the screwed state, one of the rings is pressed against the tube. With diving watches, this serves an essential function - which hardly anyone is aware of and which has nothing to do with water resistance: a screw-down crown cannot be operated accidentally. Underwater, correct observance of decompression and diving times is essential for survival. A wrong time indication could be fatal. For a watch that is not used for professional diving with an oxygen bottle, however, a screw-down crown could be regarded as overkill. In addition to that, some owners tend to exaggerate a little when screwing down the crown and do so with more torque than is required, which can damage the seals and the thread.

https://usd.formexwatch.com/blogs/fo...-better-for-me

https://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/waterproof.php

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 04:13 AM   #3
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

I have seen a screw down crown on a pocket watch case, I would estimate the age to be 1880. But very unusual.
And screw down case backs and bezels were used on pocket watches for quite sometime before the oyster case, and were quite common.

It was unusual for early wristwatch cases to be screw down however.
There is an early screw down Illinois wristwatch that is hard to find undamaged, because so many watch makers tried to pop the back off.

Last edited by MILGAUSS88; 1 June 2020 at 04:14 AM.. Reason: ...
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 07:19 AM   #4
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Royal Houses. Typically Imperialists. Keep the serfs in line.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 03:03 PM   #5
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post

The concept of the screw-down crown was not invented by Rolex, but was first used by Rolex in 1926 in an Oyster case. Hans Wilsdorf, the Rolex owner, actually bought the idea from the two inventors Georges Peret and Paul Perregaux. On October 18, 1926, the screw-down crown was legally protected by Rolex. To date, the concept is the most widespread crown protection against water. The principle is simple: the tube of the watch ends in a screw thread, the counterpart of which is locatedon the inside of the crown. Here too, O-rings are used for sealing, with only one difference. In the screwed state, one of the rings is pressed against the tube. With diving watches, this serves an essential function - which hardly anyone is aware of and which has nothing to do with water resistance: a screw-down crown cannot be operated accidentally. Underwater, correct observance of decompression and diving times is essential for survival. A wrong time indication could be fatal. For a watch that is not used for professional diving with an oxygen bottle, however, a screw-down crown could be regarded as overkill. In addition to that, some owners tend to exaggerate a little when screwing down the crown and do so with more torque than is required, which can damage the seals and the thread.

https://usd.formexwatch.com/blogs/fo...-better-for-me

https://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/waterproof.php

Awesome

Thanks for the info Grady!

Old 25 June 2020, 03:03 PM   #6
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
I have seen a screw down crown on a pocket watch case, I would estimate the age to be 1880. But very unusual.
And screw down case backs and bezels were used on pocket watches for quite sometime before the oyster case, and were quite common.

It was unusual for early wristwatch cases to be screw down however.
There is an early screw down Illinois wristwatch that is hard to find undamaged, because so many watch makers tried to pop the back off.

1880?

Wow.

Haha that’s insane

Old 25 June 2020, 03:04 PM   #7
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post

Imagine that!

Old 25 June 2020, 04:07 PM   #8
Burlington
"TRF" Member

When AP pressure tested my diver it was with both crowns fully open.

So just the O ring alone is sufficient to create an airtight barrier.

They do also imply the inner bezel crown can be used underwater safely but never had full confirmation of this.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 05:24 PM   #9
Andad

Watch: A few.
On the Rolex website quite a few years ago Rolex stated that the Triplock was rated to >500 Bar with the crown unscrewed.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 06:06 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Have posted that several times on forum and another fact Perrelet invented the first self winding mechanism around 1770.Later Breguet improved it and called his winding system perpetuelles.Now perhaps this is where Rolex got the idea to call there automatics Perpetual.But John Harwood from the Isle of Man UK around 1923 took out a UK patent for the first automatic winding wrist watch.Now he went on with backing to produce many thousands of these watches.But mainly owing to the depression in the mid 1920s to 1930s in the UK he went bust.Now old Hans of Rolex being a very clever but very shrewd man bought and took up this John Harwood auto-wind patent for the Rolex Watch Company. And in the very late 1920s oyster case was born and early 1930s incorporated auto wind into the oyster design case with another one of Hans acquired patents,and also with the newly acquired waterproof screw down crown patent from Paul Perregaux and Georges Peret. They first registered a Swiss patent in 1925 for the twin lock screw stem watertight system .Now with the Oyster case and this acquired patent auto wind mechanism but at this time it only wound around 300 degrees.But Rolex improved the design by the help of Hans brother in-law.Who made it more efficient by winding a full 360 degrees,and a power reserve then of around 36 hours.After the auto watch and the oyster case Rolex really took off the rest is just pure marketing genius by Hans.

screwed stem system.
Perregaux and Peret patent 1925.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2020, 01:12 AM   #11
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have posted that several times on forum and another fact Perrelet invented the first self winding mechanism around 1770.Later Breguet improved it and called his winding system perpetuelles.Now perhaps this is where Rolex got the idea to call there automatics Perpetual.But John Harwood from the Isle of Man UK around 1923 took out a UK patent for the first automatic winding wrist watch.Now he went on with backing to produce many thousands of these watches.But mainly owing to the depression in the mid 1920s to 1930s in the UK he went bust.Now old Hans of Rolex being a very clever but very shrewd man bought and took up this John Harwood auto-wind patent for the Rolex Watch Company. And in the very late 1920s oyster case was born and early 1930s incorporated auto wind into the oyster design case with another one of Hans acquired patents,and also with the newly acquired waterproof screw down crown patent from Paul Perregaux and Georges Peret. They first registered a Swiss patent in 1925 for the twin lock screw stem watertight system .Now with the Oyster case and this acquired patent auto wind mechanism but at this time it only wound around 300 degrees.But Rolex improved the design by the help of Hans brother in-law.Who made it more efficient by winding a full 360 degrees,and a power reserve then of around 36 hours.After the auto watch and the oyster case Rolex really took off the rest is just pure marketing genius by Hans.

screwed stem system.

Yes I had read before that Rolex didn’t I vent the automatic watch either.

Did Rolex invent the first jumping date? Or did they buy that invention from somebody else as well?

Old 26 June 2020, 01:21 AM   #12
Boothroyd

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post

screwed stem system.

Always appreciate your posts on history of Rolex and watches in general, Peter!
Old 26 June 2020, 02:09 AM   #13
Langnam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post

Lol.

Old 6 October 2020, 11:42 AM   #14
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

I just picked up one of the pocket watches with a screw down crown.
It was dated 1879 and was made by Waltham.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote