The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 May 2020, 03:10 AM   #61
aw9nineteen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
I hate to see Rolex watches displayed in those tacky plastic sleeves - makes them look like cheap Chinese imports & would definitely put me off purchasing from a dealer that did that.

Maybe they are...
aw9nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 04:29 AM   #62
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw9nineteen View Post
Maybe they are...
They gotta be fakes.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 04:43 AM   #63
timemaestro
Banned

This should be a surprise.
timemaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 11:13 AM   #64
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba View Post
Hi Russell ,

If the offer was from Watchfinder please ignore it , They currently show 900 Rolex in stock from the complete model line up , I don’t believe for one minute 10% off there inventory is made up from Ceramic Daytona’s ,

They offer you £8500 and market them from £17995 awful place and having never dealt with them this just makes me understand why .

If you want to sell a Ceramic why not list it on the sales board . FWIW a friend sold his lightly used a few months back in the U.K. £17k private (white) dial
All of their stock is not on their website so 92 Daytonas a possibility
jamestucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 12:03 PM   #65
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Having recently enquired about trading my mint Daytona white dial ceramic with the UK’s largest used dealer I was surprised to find the offer was £2k below retail. On checking further I was informed the offer was correct and the reason was they already had 92 in stock!
Is this the new norm?
Quote:
I think there is a certain amount of misunderstanding about my post.

I am certainly not considering selling my piece to the grey dealer at the price offered. Equally I am not moaning about the level of offer they made, they were very open about the reason - they currently have 92 white ceramic Daytona’s in stock. They are a business and their lifeblood is buying and selling stock and making a margin. I have not named the grey but for the record I have bought and sold 7 or 8 pieces from them in the past and have always found them OK to deal with.

Clearly they do not currently want my Daytona (previously they did), the latest offer reflects this. Watches are now a global commodity and they know I can easily go elsewhere so I don’t take the offer as underhand or trying to take advantage of a need to sell - it purely reflects their business position of too much stock and having to fund that stock. There clearly is a price where they feel holding longer term becomes less of an issue and that is the offer they made.

My post is simply asking the question that when one grey has such a stock level they cannot be alone, or can they?
You certainly didn't name the grey dealer but you wrote "UK's largest used dealer" and that identifies the dealer

I think other greys will have some Daytonas in stock but not 92 like Watchfinder.
jamestucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 10:25 PM   #66
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
If true, I wonder who their ADs are
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 12:12 AM   #67
1665fan
"TRF" Member

They are solid at 20-21k right now which is way over retail, now is the time to buy 116520 as they are a good deal at the moment...zeniths will continue to rise also
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 02:50 PM   #68
Soondooboo
"TRF" Member

It's been saturated for a while now.
Soondooboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 05:49 PM   #69
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Having recently enquired about trading my mint Daytona white dial ceramic with the UK’s largest used dealer I was surprised to find the offer was £2k below retail. On checking further I was informed the offer was correct and the reason was they already had 92 in stock!
Is this the new norm?
If thats Watchfinder - they were always a bit of a joke anyway when selling watches to them. In a post Covid environment they are stuck with a ton of watches (that are overpriced) plus loads of runnings costs and overheads. They need more watches right now like a hole in the head.....positive cash flow is what they need.

Whoever sold it to Richemont last summer won the jackpot. They wouldnt get 50% of that value now.
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 07:55 PM   #70
Waikick
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datograph
Now i am dying to get a ceramic panda. You can keep the 2k pounds if i can get this at retail. Call me an eeediot but i call BS!
Waikick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 09:31 PM   #71
mml4
"TRF" Member

There has never been a shortage of Ceramic Daytonas. The issue has only been price. You could always call a Gray and have it in 24 hours! Proof of more than ample supply.

The NIB 116520 white at one of our Trusted Sellers is just gorgeous. Nicer in my opinion than the ceramic but at $27,000 plus is not buyable.

I hope this world wide disaster brings some sanity back to the market!
mml4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 10:32 PM   #72
Deepsix
"TRF" Member

Where abouts are you located ?
I will give you rrp.
Deepsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 01:58 AM   #73
brnn
"TRF" Member

Just looked at their US site, their prices are insane. $30k+ for a steel ceramic Daytona? I see 2020 pre-owned selling for ~20k at the moment elsewhere (black dial). I am probably buyer at $17-18k, just patiently waiting... wish you could get these at ADs.
brnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 02:01 AM   #74
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMarcus View Post
They gotta be fakes.
Those are legit. Daytonas aren’t rare unless you are looking at an AD
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 12:35 PM   #75
Seattle911
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 43, Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixshah View Post
Easy explanation here - the grey lowballed you in the hopes you are in a desperate situation. That’s a money grab if I’ve ever see one.
Agree.
Old 26 May 2020, 01:36 PM   #76
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixshah View Post
Easy explanation here - the grey lowballed you in the hopes you are in a desperate situation. That’s a money grab if I’ve ever see one.
Disagree - the dealer is sitting on 92 watches, to sit on 93 they would only pay a bargain basement price.

It's not an unfair or predatory offer - anyone can see what they sell for on ebay, chrono24 etc, and make a decision from that. I don't think the effects of the virus on the market long term are known right now, so if I was a grey I would be quite circumspect in what I was paying / buying at the moment.
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 02:25 PM   #77
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
What a tosser. Look at all these we bought up. - It's one thing doing it but brandishing open briefcases on social media. What a special watch eh. Feeding time for the lions.
I think the comeuppance will come in the next few months. Whilst sitting on 92 daytonas purchased at 20 - 30 percent off the sale price isn't so bad, repeat the same equation with sub no dates and other models... All of a sudden you are holding a very big bag.

If we think of market depth, every time a watch reached a higher high, people shifted the price north, the same thing will happen now, in reverse.

I don't think Daytonas will be under MSRP, it's not a bubble in that sense, they were just over valued over last two years or so, and we will see the prevailing market conditions reveal the watches true value. I'm thinking + 40 - 50 percent MSRP.
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 10:29 PM   #78
mondo74
"TRF" Member

They don't need to buy off us plebs when they've got sweet back handers going on with AD's.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
mondo74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 11:28 PM   #79
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
It is hard to get a Daytona from an AD but easy to buy for a big premium used. Not really sure how they end up on the secondary market but they sure do.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 11:55 PM   #80
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I think people need to just move on and accept this watch is going to cost a hefty premium.

You see people get lucky, less and less likely these days, but most people will never see this watch. Also, the amount you need to spend to be put on a real list isn’t worth it unless you are very well off and want to buy tons of desirable watches through the years to offset the losses on the jewelry and/or PM models/less desirable brands.

If you live in a smaller market, you can probably get this watch. Just go buy your wife a hugely marked up piece of jewelry or PM/Diamond watch in exchange for a place on the real list. This isn’t going to work in a big market AD as you’d still be a small fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 01:25 AM   #81
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
As much as it hurts ppl on TRF to believe - modern Daytona's are NOT short on supply. Grays are hoarding 1000s and 1000s of them.

Their offer was in the hope

a) You were so desperate for money you took it
b) They dont want your watch because they have too many

Simple.
100% accurate statement.
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 02:15 AM   #82
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

How do you correlate a watch not being in “short supply” with attainability for the common person who isn’t willing to spend a fortune to get one at MSRP? Short supply or not the modern Daytona is a highly desirable piece that is difficult to source at retail. End of story.
Frank McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 02:35 AM   #83
G.Montag
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
It is hard to get a Daytona from an AD but easy to buy for a big premium used. Not really sure how they end up on the secondary market but they sure do.
Not sure if you're being sarcastic. Everyone knows how they end up on the secondary market: AD's sell them directly to grays (while they tell their non-gray customers that Rolex forces them to remove stickers to discourage flipping ).
G.Montag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 03:04 AM   #84
Turb0wned
"TRF" Member

I’m so tired of seeing and hearing people say, the demand for (whichever) SS Rolex is to high and there aren’t enough to meet the demand. That’s a load of crap, the Greys and the flippers buy them all up. ADs selling backdoor or to certain customers is the only issue.

Just stop already.
Old 29 May 2020, 05:41 AM   #85
G.Montag
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turb0wned View Post
I’m so tired of seeing and hearing people say, the demand for (whichever) SS Rolex is to high and there aren’t enough to meet the demand. That’s a load of crap, the Greys and the flippers buy them all up. ADs selling backdoor or to certain customers is the only issue.

Just stop already.
But why are greys buying up SS professinal Rolexes as opposed to, say, two-tone Datejusts or Tag Heuers? Obviously, there is high demand for SS Rolex models, and not enough supply to satisfy that demand, which is why greys are buying them up. The two are not mutually exclusive. Daytonas were hard to get long before grey dealers were a thing.
G.Montag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 05:51 AM   #86
varun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
What!?

I thought these were rare!

Darn it, better sell mine before the value drops like crazy!

Lol rare, every other average Joe is wearing one in New York
varun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 05:52 AM   #87
varun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turb0wned View Post

Just stop already.
Agreed, its grey Mofo's who are busy making a minimum of 5k a pop on each one of these and really hate the attitude of dealers who act as if they own the world, peasants !
varun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 05:55 AM   #88
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Montag View Post
Daytonas were hard to get long before grey dealers were a thing.
Second hand ones weren't. Priced as such too.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 06:01 AM   #89
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post
If thats Watchfinder - they were always a bit of a joke anyway when selling watches to them. In a post Covid environment they are stuck with a ton of watches (that are overpriced) plus loads of runnings costs and overheads. They need more watches right now like a hole in the head.....positive cash flow is what they need.

Whoever sold it to Richemont last summer won the jackpot. They wouldnt get 50% of that value now.
Agreed. Interestingly I sold them a black ceramic Daytona for £14,500 approx a year and a half ago. It depends what they have and what they need. Agreed re now though - they are overstocked and people are not buying. Prices ain’t budging though.

I will say, watchfinder have their place. They will negotiate and you can occasionally do ok there. Less so since the takeover and the staff have gone downhill a bit.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 10:03 AM   #90
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by varun View Post
Lol rare, every other average Joe is wearing one in New York

I was being sarcastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote