The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 8 May 2020, 04:51 AM   #1
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Vintage KS/GS Exhibition Backs

I was wandering if any of the vintage Seiko fans here knew where I could find the exhibition casebacks for vintage King and Grand Seikos that I keep seeing online? My KS44 Chronometer - with its incredible hacking-second lever - really needs to be on display.

Any leads greatly appreciated!
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2020, 08:07 PM   #2
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

As there's no answer, this is what we're missing out on guys!

Old 8 May 2020, 09:20 PM   #3
icnbne
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Omega Seiko
I've seen them around, but never got onto trying to source one as my KS is a front loader

btw that balance bridge is to die for
icnbne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 10:37 AM   #4
ddaly12
"TRF" Member

I’ve read that the hacking mechanism in that movement is actually a frequent point of technical failure, as the thin arm can break over time or when the user applies too much force when pulling out the crown. Be careful. They later modified that movement, removing that weak hacking mechanism, replacing it with something more robust and less failure prone. I have a later model 44KS, the 44-9990 ref with that later movement type, which I specifically sought out in order to avoid that early movement.

Now, a see through case back may actually be of value, to see when that lever gives way. But I’d keep the original case back, as it seems that specific variations of the gold medallion can be valuable. Here’s mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ddaly12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 06:58 PM   #5
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icnbne View Post
I've seen them around, but never got onto trying to source one as my KS is a front loader

btw that balance bridge is to die for
I have a front-loading KS52 as well. Amazing watches!
Old 13 May 2020, 07:09 PM   #6
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaly12 View Post
I’ve read that the hacking mechanism in that movement is actually a frequent point of technical failure, as the thin arm can break over time or when the user applies too much force when pulling out the crown. Be careful. They later modified that movement, removing that weak hacking mechanism, replacing it with something more robust and less failure prone. I have a later model 44KS, the 44-9990 ref with that later movement type, which I specifically sought out in order to avoid that early movement.

Now, a see through case back may actually be of value, to see when that lever gives way. But I’d keep the original case back, as it seems that specific variations of the gold medallion can be valuable. Here’s mine.

Thank you for the thoughtful post - and gorgeous watch!

I actually bought the watch in perfect condition, but with a missing hacking disk which meant the lever would not connect to stop the seconds. In the photo of the movement below (taken at the Tokyo dealer), there should be a small disk on the central ruby...

Duncan Hewitt (aka The Watch Bloke) managed to source a NOS part, and I have built up a little collection of beat-up 4420-9990s to scavenge for parts should the worst happen.

Agreed about the case-back - it is absolutely lovely, and the 4420-9990 was the only KS to proudly wear the "GS" chronometer lion medallion. I'm lucky that mine is in fabulous condition - yet another reason for the crystal, to keep it that way.

Old 13 May 2020, 10:10 PM   #7
ddaly12
"TRF" Member

Very nice!! Love that lion medallion caseback! Certainly one of the more interesting and noteworthy. Good luck with the movement... I see your point re missing hacking disk (so odd! How does that happen??). Having some scrap movements around for replacement parts sounds very wise. Best of luck, these are great watches!!

ddaly12 is offline   Reply With Quote