The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 May 2020, 04:36 PM   #1
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
6 digit Explorer II with a suit?!

Hey folks! There’s been a few EXPII posts recently, but my query is a bit more specific:

I’m planning to move from my 1675 to a 216570, but I’d like to see what they look like with suits (black and white dials — I haven’t decided which to go for yet).

If you’ve any photos of your EXPs, can you share them here, please!?

P.S. yes, I know a sports watch isn’t properly suited to a suit — but I’m a one watch guy, so it matters to me (I wear suits frequently).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 07:28 PM   #2
BogdanS
"TRF" Member

Here’s all the photos that I took throughout the process, in chronological order, all on my 7.5-7.9 inch wrist.

BogdanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 08:42 PM   #3
MrMercedes
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many!
You can wear a Rolex with everything!
MrMercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 08:47 PM   #4
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
I used to wear a black dial 216570 with a suit (when I used to wear suits) - worked great
Old 23 May 2020, 08:53 PM   #5
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I think the Polar is versatile. It goes with everything. This is because I think it goes with everything. As the owner of the watch, your opinion is the only one that matters. If you think it looks good, it does. If you think it doesn't, it doesn't.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 09:00 PM   #6
Gwai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogdanS View Post
Here’s all the photos that I took throughout the process, in chronological order, all on my 7.5-7.9 inch wrist.
Great array of pictures yet a little short on suits, no?

Cheers
Marc
Gwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 10:13 PM   #7
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I own both the Polar and the Black dial Explorer II. I have worn them with suits and french cuff shirts and they work great. I especially like the Polar, as the white dial is unique and it works well dress up. I though I had a picture or two with the watches with suits but I do not. Good luck and go for it, you will enjoy the watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 10:44 PM   #8
RichM

Watch: out now,take care!
I’m leaning towards black for someone who wears suits often.

Full disclosure: I own a Polar and I can’t remember the last time I wore a suit.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 11:24 PM   #9
BogdanS
"TRF" Member

6 digit Explorer II with a suit?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwai View Post
Great array of pictures yet a little short on suits, no?

Cheers
Marc

Some of those could be in a swimming suit. Does this count?

BogdanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 11:26 PM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Nowadays anything goes
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 11:42 PM   #11
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
I have both a red/blue 1675 and a black 216570. Both are beautiful but I personally think the 1675 with a Jubilee is a little more classy. It's an iconic watch that is recognized even by non-WIS.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 02:11 AM   #12
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedlock2000 View Post
Hey folks! There’s been a few EXPII posts recently, but my query is a bit more specific:

I’m planning to move from my 1675 to a 216570, but I’d like to see what they look like with suits (black and white dials — I haven’t decided which to go for yet).

P.S. yes, I know a sports watch isn’t properly suited to a suit — but I’m a one watch guy, so it matters to me (I wear suits frequently).

1) Wear what you want
2) Most people don't care what you wear with a suit
3) With respect to those people that care about what you wear with a suit, do you really care what they think? I very much doubt those people do everything "properly" anyway to justify casting stones.
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 02:15 AM   #13
EndlessEight

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
I just remembered how much I love the while dial EXP2
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 02:16 AM   #14
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
it's 2020. No one follows suit watch rules anymore. People wear apple watches on rubber straps with suits all the time, and these are people in really nice suits. The rules of yesteryear are gone. Get that EXii.

If your going or be worried in the back of your head or self-conscious about it, buy a $200 Orient bambino. Amazing watch. Looks like it costs 100x than it does. I own a few myself now for the few times I wear a suit anymore.
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 08:33 PM   #15
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Hahaha!! I suppose it does!

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
Old 25 May 2020, 08:35 PM   #16
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks all for your input. I suppose I am being a bit picky on the propriety (I think that’s the point, anyway).

I’ll try and track one down to try on. I’ll report back when I find one...

Old 25 May 2020, 10:15 PM   #17
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
It’s less the case size with this one as it is the maxi dial and maxi hands that maybe the watch appear magnified and larger than it is. Short answer is the 5 digits were the most versatile watches period. Can you do it, sure but it’s not going under the radar like a 5 digit that’s all.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 11:15 PM   #18
doramas
Banned

doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 11:18 PM   #19
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
My mate used to wear his 6 digit polar with a suit. Looked great. Likewise I wore mine when I had it also. Goes pretty well, as does anything these days
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 11:48 PM   #20
ThatSubGuy
Banned

Don't wear a sportswatch with a suit. "But James Bond does" - yeah, well, you're not James Bond.
ThatSubGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 11:59 PM   #21
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Suits were already on a down swing prior to covid

Working in finance in NY we were already less than business casual with jeans on number of days

Now during covid 19, work from home -
Who is wearing a suit these days ?

But to answer your question I think one can wear anything with a suit as long as you’re confident with it and don’t give a rats ass what anyone thinks. Are there rules .... yes... but should you care ...no. Break them

brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 01:01 AM   #22
Gwai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sure but... pictures or the suits didn't happen.

Cheers
Marc
Gwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 01:12 AM   #23
Ihatecheese
Banned

If the bezel doesn't catch then why not. It's not a dress watch but it doesn't really matter as long as it fits you well 😀
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 08:28 PM   #24
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

I think my biggest issues with suits and watches is of matching — rather than style.

I don’t have the issue with the fact that it’s a sports watch, but that the EXPII has a big stainless bezel (which doesn’t really blend in with the suit). I think the black bezels tend to fade away into the suit — as do black dials.

I didn’t like my SMP300gmt with a suit because the blue didn’t match anything and wasn’t neutral — I have the same worry with the EXPIIs.

My current 1675 is quite restrained in its styling — it’s vintage, so it suits my suit style (a bit more old school: tweed and conservative three piece suits). I’m not sure that the EXPII would blend in in the same way. But, perhaps like many of you say, that shouldn’t matter.

As an outdoorsy, ex army engineer, the EXPII seems a better fit — especially given my rough lifestyle. So maybe I should just own it.

Old 26 May 2020, 08:38 PM   #25
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
I think my biggest issues with suits and watches is of matching — rather than style.

I don’t have the issue with the fact that it’s a sports watch, but that the EXPII has a big stainless bezel (which doesn’t really blend in with the suit). I think the black bezels tend to fade away into the suit — as do black dials.

I didn’t like my SMP300gmt with a suit because the blue didn’t match anything and wasn’t neutral — I have the same worry with the EXPIIs.

My current 1675 is quite restrained in its styling — it’s vintage, so it suits my suit style (a bit more old school: tweed and conservative three piece suits). I’m not sure that the EXPII would blend in in the same way. But, perhaps like many of you say, that shouldn’t matter.

As an outdoorsy, ex army engineer, the EXPII seems a better fit — especially given my rough lifestyle. So maybe I should just own it.
Hey Steve - I actually found that the bezel worked well with a suit and shirt cuffs. The bezel is not wide in relation to the dial, and slopes down away from the crystal. It is also radially brushed and not highly reflective. In certain light angles the bezel really fades away and the emphasis is on the dial. The exposed sides of the crystal (enabled by the low-profile bezel) allow a lot of light onto the dial. Also, the overall low height of the watch and the twinlock crown make it unobstrusive on the wrist. It's obviously a bit wider overall than your GMT, but without the higher-profile bezel with a toothed edge. Just my feedback as an owner (black dial) and ex-suit wearer
Old 26 May 2020, 08:43 PM   #26
GreatScott
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Wearing a sports watch with a suit is perfectly acceptable and it lets everyone know you are not an old man. So have at it!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
GreatScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 09:41 PM   #27
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

All depends on the suit/style

Fine (bespoke) suit: Leather
Sporty/casual tailored suit: semi-dress/sport on bracelet. Ex Dj/exp1
Cheap/of the rack/untailored suit: exp2/james cameron/what ever. Matching watch is the least of concern.

A matching watch is the cherry on the pie. So if you are realy in to nice suits, get a nice watch to pair it with. If not then dont worry about it. Vica versa as well. A bad suit with a calatrava still looks bad.
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 10:19 PM   #28
Golfpaul66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600
Icon15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks6pd View Post
it's 2020. No one follows suit watch rules anymore. People wear apple watches on rubber straps with suits all the time, and these are people in really nice suits. The rules of yesteryear are gone. Get that EXii.

If your going or be worried in the back of your head or self-conscious about it, buy a $200 Orient bambino. Amazing watch. Looks like it costs 100x than it does. I own a few myself now for the few times I wear a suit anymore.
That!
Golfpaul66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 02:14 AM   #29
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMercedes View Post
You can wear a Rolex with everything!
Totally!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 08:27 PM   #30
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Hey Steve - I actually found that the bezel worked well with a suit and shirt cuffs. The bezel is not wide in relation to the dial, and slopes down away from the crystal. It is also radially brushed and not highly reflective. In certain light angles the bezel really fades away and the emphasis is on the dial. The exposed sides of the crystal (enabled by the low-profile bezel) allow a lot of light onto the dial. Also, the overall low height of the watch and the twinlock crown make it unobstrusive on the wrist. It's obviously a bit wider overall than your GMT, but without the higher-profile bezel with a toothed edge. Just my feedback as an owner (black dial) and ex-suit wearer

Thanks, Clive! Some good feedback!