The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 May 2020, 10:34 PM   #31
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
There is not a shortage of watches in any model from Rolex if you are willing to pay. What we are talking about are hot SS models at msrp from AD's. Dream on if you have no history with them or are not bundling multiple watches or jewelry. Sometimes a member here will get lucky on a Explorer, Sub or other watch but I can not remember anyone walking in and getting a SS Daytona or blue Sky-Dweller. In the Grey Market you can buy any SS Rolex you want and typically as many as you want, as long as you will pay the price.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 10:49 PM   #32
Handey0465
Banned

Watch: 126711CHNR
Am I correct in my assumption that most of the high rollers at ADs are mostly flippers anyway?

They get to VIP status by just selling every Rolex they get. They are willing to take a loss on some models just to get the hot models for themselves.
Handey0465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 10:59 PM   #33
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

Anyone surprised and amazed by the apparent difficulty obtaining watches from AD’s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handey0465 View Post
Am I correct in my assumption that most of the high rollers at ADs are mostly flippers anyway?

They get to VIP status by just selling every Rolex they get. They are willing to take a loss on some models just to get the hot models for themselves.

No. My AD has a number of very loyal customers that are high spenders. I’ve never purchased a watch in a bundle, and I still own every watch that I’ve purchased from them (SkyD, Exp2, GMT Pepsi/Batgirl, DD, 5711, CHNR, WG Daytona).
UmichNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 12:47 AM   #34
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handey0465 View Post

Not at all. Many just spend on themselves and family members.

I’m way off a VIP, but I’ve bought loads over the years. I’ve bought various watches and Jewellery for my wife, a few watches and jewellery pieces for my mum over the years. I’ve also used ADs to buy our wedding/engagement/eternity rings, wedding gifts, Mont Blanc pens and cuff links etc, plus various brands of watches for myself over the years.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 02:58 AM   #35
JamyMC
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116710
It depends on your relationship with your AD....apparently.
JamyMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 03:20 AM   #36
maveric
"TRF" Member

The situation of the last half decade is completely ridiculous. I look forward to the day it returns to normal.
maveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 03:32 AM   #37
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
The reality is ADs care about the regular customers and big spenders at that. Two weeks ago I visited my closest local AD whom I only bought a SD43 from before the craziness. They wouldn't sell me any other SS Rolex after that till this day, so it's not like I didn't want to spend the money.

I asked about a dress gold Patek and a steel Pepsi. I mentioned I'd buy both. No problem with the Patek, but no to the Pepsi. Spending 35 grand on watches is not enough these days, chump money to these guys.

There were five sales assistants doing nothing plus the security guard in a tiny 20 square meter (200 sq ft) shop. I was the only customer. Honestly, I think they don't care, sadly. I guess they can afford not to.

This was the second day of reopening after our 2 months lockdown in Spain. You'd think they'd want to make a sale, but you'd be wrong.

The Patek by the way was a discontinued model, not a particularly popular piece but I happen to love it. Guess what, zero discount on that. They'd rather send it back to Patek than sell it at a discount. Surreal.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 04:04 AM   #38
SudiYunus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier Panthere
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
The reality is ADs care about the regular customers and big spenders at that. Two weeks ago I visited my closest local AD whom I only bought a SD43 from before the craziness. They wouldn't sell me any other SS Rolex after that till this day, so it's not like I didn't want to spend the money.

I asked about a dress gold Patek and a steel Pepsi. I mentioned I'd buy both. No problem with the Patek, but no to the Pepsi. Spending 35 grand on watches is not enough these days, chump money to these guys.

There were five sales assistants doing nothing plus the security guard in a tiny 20 square meter (200 sq ft) shop. I was the only customer. Honestly, I think they don't care, sadly. I guess they can afford not to.

This was the second day of reopening after our 2 months lockdown in Spain. You'd think they'd want to make a sale, but you'd be wrong.

The Patek by the way was a discontinued model, not a particularly popular piece but I happen to love it. Guess what, zero discount on that. They'd rather send it back to Patek than sell it at a discount. Surreal.
What economy downturn???

DJ 36 White Dial ,CasiOak
Sub ND
SudiYunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 04:07 AM   #39
Walts
"TRF" Member

Please let us know what happens when you speak to or go to your AD. In either case you should let them know that they are your local AD . The shortage should even be more exacerbated now due to Rolex being closed for the last two months
Walts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 04:07 AM   #40
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Quote:
Two weeks ago I visited my closest local AD whom I only bought a SD43 from before the craziness. They wouldn't sell me any other SS Rolex after that till this day, so it's not like I didn't want to spend the money.

The AD would not sell you a stainless steel Oyster Perpetual or DateJust ?
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 04:09 AM   #41
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walts View Post
The shortage should even be more exacerbated now due to Rolex being closed for the last two months
A shop being closed for 2 or 3 months points to a higher level of inventory, not a shortage.
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 04:12 AM   #42
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG123 View Post
A shop being closed for 2 or 3 months points to a higher level of inventory, not a shortage.

However, most ADs have not received shipments during the closure. I know that a number of ADs sold through inventory when local laws permitted it, which actually lowered the amount of inventory in the channel. No doubt demand will be softer due to macro pressure, but I think supply will remain constrained.
UmichNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 04:33 AM   #43
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
The AD would not sell you a stainless steel Oyster Perpetual or DateJust ?
I should have specified, I only asked about sports SS model, not about DJ or OP. But I know for a fact from members of our local forum that the DJ41 I wanted was on a waiting list. And we all know what that means.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 10:07 AM   #44
Walts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There was already a shortage of the "hot stainless steel models" . Now the manufacture/production of the watches has stopped for the last two months . I only see this adding to the problem.
Walts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 05:28 PM   #45
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
Is it possible that the AD has secretly tagged you as a potential flipper, thus the cold shoulder?

Maybe the 'how to behave in ADs' that is considered best practice in watch forums is actually what is screwing us over?

I know I sound like a conspiracy theorist. But what do you think?
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 06:37 PM   #46
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SudiYunus View Post
What economy downturn???

Very true.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 09:01 PM   #47
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

The lockdowns have been very effective in combating the virus from becoming the extinction event that was feared in Mar, so now many businesses that were thriving before are going to hold tight and try to keep that business model in tact with no firesales, we shall see if the economic fallout will make a dent in that plan.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote