The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 May 2020, 07:22 PM   #1
Johnpierpontmorgan
Banned

Watch service

Will you bring a watch to service if the time still runs within 4-5 seconds per day?

A year 2000 watch with zero service history

I don’t wear it often (once every 2-3 months) since it’s a part of my rotation
Johnpierpontmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 07:25 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpierpontmorgan View Post
Will you bring a watch to service if the time still runs within 4-5 seconds per day?

If watch any from 2000 with no service history no matter the timekeeping myself would have its serviced sooner than later.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 08:12 PM   #3
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Watch service

If it’s been worn it should be serviced because the lubricants etc need to be checked.

It’s not just about time keeping accuracy.

I spoke to someone at RSC recently about my 2010 MilgaussGV which I’ve worn many years and they recommended to service it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 08:14 PM   #4
Simon_jrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: whichever I wear
Quote:

Yes... service.

Submariner 114060/ Submariner 116613LB/ Daytona 116523/ Omega Seamaster/ Omega De Ville
Simon_jrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 08:24 PM   #5
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Yes, absolutely - why risk it for longer?
Old 25 May 2020, 08:31 PM   #6
Johnpierpontmorgan
Banned

I see. How often is the interval you will send for service even though the time runs at acceptable range
Old 25 May 2020, 08:32 PM   #7
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Every 10 years, if worn regularly.

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 12:53 AM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:

If it's part of a rotation, why bother when it's not likely to ever be more than a minute or two off.

Any service would be for general maintenance or peace-of-mind and is up to you. A lightly used watch is not likely very worn, even after a decade.
Old 26 May 2020, 01:46 AM   #9
brnn
"TRF" Member

If you wear it, or keep it in the winder, then yes it should be serviced. Lubricants deteriorate, and you could wear the actual contact points (axle winder, etc) or introduce dried lubricant particles or at worst, metal shavings into the movement. If it's a vintage safe queen/investment piece, it's best to leave it alone for fear of original parts being swapped, imo.
brnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 01:30 PM   #10
pbubsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:

It's only got 5 years worth of wear on it! Gtg!
pbubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 12:31 AM   #11
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
No, why, it runs fine.

Old 27 May 2020, 01:02 AM   #12
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Nearly 10 years ago, when I purchased my brand new OP 116000 , the AD sales manager told me to routinely clean the watch with soap and water, but only send it in for service if something became wrong with the time keeping.
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 01:12 AM   #13
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
I service my watches at 10 year intervals for modern references. 5 years for vintage. Just my personal preference.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 02:38 AM   #14
HaiovR
"TRF" Member

Yes, I think it’s a good idea to let a watchmaker look at it.
HaiovR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 03:16 AM   #15
campfire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
If it's part of a rotation, why bother when it's not likely to ever be more than a minute or two off.

Any service would be for general maintenance or peace-of-mind and is up to you. A lightly used watch is not likely very worn, even after a decade.

Tools, I have a Sub, bought new 18 years ago. Never serviced. It's used fairly ruggedly including lots of diving when it was younger.

How long would you go between service and be confident that the seals/waterproof integrity is good? Still go by the recommended 10 years?
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 03:17 AM   #16
campfire
"TRF" Member

Quote:

OP, probably not a bad idea to service it. Not really because of the accuracy, but mostly because of the age.

I'm in the same situation and will likely do the same when I find the time to.

Good luck.
Old 27 May 2020, 03:54 AM   #17
Johnpierpontmorgan
Banned

Thanks guys! :)
Old 27 May 2020, 08:52 AM   #18
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

No, I would not service it. That's pretty good time keeping, and any damage that could result of not servicing it shouldn't be a big deal. It will let you know when it needs a service.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 08:59 AM   #19
D.P.G.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR (2019)
I have a 12 year old submariner which I wore daily until December when I purchased a new GMT Master ll, the Sub is 2 seconds a day fast so I asked the watchmaker (30+ years experience) at a multi location Rolex AD if I should have the Sub serviced and his reply was "absolutely not it's running fine, never been open why risk having someone make it worse". He also pointed out that the cost would be the same if he did it or Rolex regardless if it was working or not so let it be until it actually has a problem. He did say it would be a good idea to pressure test if going any deeper then a normal pool.
D.P.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 07:26 PM   #20
18078pres
"TRF" Member

leave it alone of course rsc is going to tell you to send it in like asking a car salesman do i need new car lol
18078pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 07:46 PM   #21
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by campfire View Post
Tools, I have a Sub, bought new 18 years ago. Never serviced. It's used fairly ruggedly including lots of diving when it was younger.

How long would you go between service and be confident that the seals/waterproof integrity is good? Still go by the recommended 10 years?
Rolex does not recommend any service period what they have said today the average Rolex owner have chosen around a ten year service interval before sending watches to be serviced.And its not that Rolex themselves recommended such a period.In your case especially used for diving it would be prudent to have pressure check once or twice year if in water regular.And use common sense for service if used regular diving service every 5-8 if used say only once or twice a year diving then perhaps would go 10 years depending on how watch was running but still pressure check in between.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 12:48 AM   #22
byr0nic
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing art & watches
Quote:

I tried to take my DD36 in for a service earlier this year pre-Covid; maybe because it was PM she was particularly sensitive to over-servicing (specifically over-polishing), but the SA at the Rolex-branded boutique on Bond St here in London effectively didn’t let me do it, with her vehement insistence based on the watch keeping good time still (as I reported to her)... obviously if I had strongly insisted, she would’ve had to take it, but it felt to me that she was clearly looking out for what she felt were my best interests, and definitely gave me cause to not bother for now...

Take that as you will!

byr0nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 05:08 AM   #23
smym18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Rolex does not recommend any service period what they have said today the average Rolex owner have chosen around a ten year service interval before sending watches to be serviced.And its not that Rolex themselves recommended such a period.In your case especially used for diving it would be prudent to have pressure check once or twice year if in water regular.And use common sense for service if used regular diving service every 5-8 if used say only once or twice a year diving then perhaps would go 10 years depending on how watch was running but still pressure check in between.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DD7A9D41-B0A7-4381-8C2F-BDD7010460D1.jpeg (63.2 KB, 174 views)
smym18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 05:19 AM   #24
drrd
"TRF" Member

No I wouldn't service it.

The time keeping is more than acceptable for the role it has as part of your collection. Fix it when/if it's broken.
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 05:23 AM   #25
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch service

Quote:
Originally Posted by smym18 View Post

Yes, that was the FAQ I was seeking because I remember the number 10 appearing in the website. If one wishes to reduce the risk of a component failure, it makes sense to have a recommended service interval.

After all, a failure in any of these parts is troublesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 05:26 AM   #26
kscarandwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520 White face,
I have been wearing my 11660 for the last 18 years and just a few weeks ago I had to get it serviced because I was using a reciprocating saw and ...... oops (# don't do that ever again)
kscarandwatchguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 06:27 AM   #27
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by campfire View Post

Today's composites and materials are much more robust than they used to be, but seals are going to degrade or move.

The older a watch gets, you not only have to think about the physical deterioration of the seals, you have to consider about value if you need to replace damaged cosmetics (risk assessment)

A 20 year old Sub can still be fitted with service components that are almost identical to originals... The risk is not as high as for a 30 year old example.

18 years would be at the edge of my comfort area for diving, but I wouldn't think about it much on a vacation that might include snorkeling or swimming, maybe a routine pressure check. It is time to really think about a regular maintenance COA service though...
Old 28 May 2020, 08:13 AM   #28
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by smym18 View Post
Yes there is that in most recent times

I also remember the old days when it was suggested by Rolex to service between 3-5 years which was a reflection of an industry standard, then it went out to 5-7 years in the not so old days which was also a reflection of an updated stardard but not necessarily shared across the entire industry.
FYI, my finest watch is a relatively new GS which is recommended(in the owners manual) to be serviced every 3-5 years. Old School stuff

Then it was as Padi put forward which was in writing, and included in a letter to dealers from Rolex at the time of the introduction of the 5 year warranty, with a statement around a statistical average(according to Rolex).
Interestingly it was interpreted as a mandatory 10 year service interval by the journalist who put it up on the internet, but that's not what the letter actually stated.
To me, it always looked like a warm up to the current 10 year recommendation, which currently seems like a fairly firm position on the part of Rolex for the very first time in history.

Service as you see fit.
There are also a couple of schools of thought and some good guiding principals to follow which are loosely reflected in the thread thus far.
Common sense should prevail when balancing the economics.

I personally prefer to manage my service intervals with a healthy balance of all the guiding principals and a view to proper maintenance.
10 years is a bit of a stretch for me personally, though on one watch which is worn infrequently I had gone out to 13 years as there are a number of factors to consider.

I put it to you the Rolex 10 year recommendation was in response to the Omega introduction of an extended service interval, which from recollection is currently in the order of 7-8 years with the introduction of their in-house Co-axials.
I don't think Rolex wanted to be seen to be left behind with their Chronergy escapement and all.

Context is everything
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 08:14 AM   #29
campfire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Today's composites and materials are much more robust than they used to be, but seals are going to degrade or move.

The older a watch gets, you not only have to think about the physical deterioration of the seals, you have to consider about value if you need to replace damaged cosmetics (risk assessment)

A 20 year old Sub can still be fitted with service components that are almost identical to originals... The risk is not as high as for a 30 year old example.

18 years would be at the edge of my comfort area for diving, but I wouldn't think about it much on a vacation that might include snorkeling or swimming, maybe a routine pressure check. It is time to really think about a regular maintenance COA service though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post

Thanks Peter and Larry. Much appreciated.
Old 29 May 2020, 08:20 AM   #30
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
My brother owns and wears daily a 1993 16710. He has gotten it serviced twice. He brings it in for service once it stops. And it may stop once or twice before it stops for good.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote