The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 December 2012, 04:10 AM   #1
KMdad44
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT ll c
GMT bracelet

HI guys, I have a GMT II c and I love this watch. It is the nicest watch that Rolex makes (or anyone else for that matter). However, it do have it's achilles heel. The bracelet. I like to wear my watch snug (but not tight) so one day when I was in the back of a truck, I jumped down and my hand went back to support myself as I jumped. My hand flexed back on the tailgate of the truck and my bracelet instantly flexed and stretched. That was about a year ago. I left the bracelet loose so that if this happened again, it would be loose enough to handle any flexing of my wrist. This weekend I was outside and slipped on some ice and my hand went down to catch myself and it happened again. Before my GMT I had a Datejust jubilee and on 2 occasions I flexed my wrist and the same happened to it too. I thought the oyster bracelet was stronger, but I guess not. I would really wish Rolex would make a bracelet to take a little pressure and bounce right back. But I guess until this happens I would like to know how much would I have to pay for a replacement all steel bracelet? PLC and all.
KMdad44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2012, 04:15 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMdad44 View Post
HI guys, I have a GMT II c and I love this watch. It is the nicest watch that Rolex makes (or anyone else for that matter). However, it do have it's achilles heel. The bracelet. I like to wear my watch snug (but not tight) so one day when I was in the back of a truck, I jumped down and my hand went back to support myself as I jumped. My hand flexed back on the tailgate of the truck and my bracelet instantly flexed and stretched. That was about a year ago. I left the bracelet loose so that if this happened again, it would be loose enough to handle any flexing of my wrist. This weekend I was outside and slipped on some ice and my hand went down to catch myself and it happened again. Before my GMT I had a Datejust jubilee and on 2 occasions I flexed my wrist and the same happened to it too. I thought the oyster bracelet was stronger, but I guess not. I would really wish Rolex would make a bracelet to take a little pressure and bounce right back. But I guess until this happens I would like to know how much would I have to pay for a replacement all steel bracelet? PLC and all.
Post a picture of your bracelet Oyster bracelets have been stress tested and will take 525 lbs pressure before breaking thats enough to seriously damage your wrist.I once had a spring-bar clasp or a lug-pin fail but in fairness they are not designed to have almost 15 stone dangling suspended, over the side of a boat.It was around 2000 trying to get back into the pick up boat after a dive in the Red Sea.I started to take my BC off when the Egyptian deck hand just pulled up my BC and left me suspended by my SD bracelet.Good job the spring-bar failed the weakest point as steel itself cannot stretch, one SD lost to the abyss but I still have my wrist..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2012, 04:25 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I would say that it is practically impossible to actually "stretch" your modern solid link bracelet in the manner you describe..

You may have bent a spring-bar pivot. spring-bars should be replaced every couple of years because of the wear and stress they undergo..
Old 17 December 2012, 05:48 AM   #4
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
I'd say its a bent spring bar. Wear it loose enough to handle a full rotation of your wrist. Otherwise if it snags you could get hurt
Old 17 December 2012, 05:51 AM   #5
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
I'd like to see pics too
Old 17 December 2012, 05:57 AM   #6
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
No way that's likely. You'd loose circulation before you wore it tight enough to flex the pins (if that was even possible). Pics!
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2012, 06:24 AM   #7
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx=3, Tdr=3, Om=3
I'm a Structural Designer with well over 30 years experience...no way will steel like this stretch under the stresses you are talking about.......is there any chance it could have been the "easy link" popping out....this gives half a link extra to cover for humid conditions which can cause your wrist to swell.....one of the spring bars would fail well (well, well, well) before the steel of the bracelet would actually stretch
Colnago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2012, 04:11 PM   #8
KMdad44
"TRF" Member

Hi guys upon further inspection it doesn't appear that the links are further apart. However, I can feel that the watch, which was snug before the incident I spoke of above, is now much looser. I would take a picture, but there is nothing to real see. Is there something on this bracelet that can slip without bending or breaking?
Old 28 December 2012, 04:29 PM   #9
MatthewInSeattle

Watch: Chronomat 44
Without seeing some pictures, it's not likely that we'd be able to figure out what the problem is. Post the pics of the links, and where the bracelet attaches to the watch.

Also, you may want to check to make sure that your Easylink didn't pop out. That half-link may be the difference in fit you're feeling.
MatthewInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2012, 06:59 PM   #10
KMdad44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewInSeattle View Post
Without seeing some pictures, it's not likely that we'd be able to figure out what the problem is. Post the pics of the links, and where the bracelet attaches to the watch.

Also, you may want to check to make sure that your Easylink didn't pop out. That half-link may be the difference in fit you're feeling.
I'll take some pictures and post them
Old 28 December 2012, 07:29 PM   #11
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

Yes, pictures would do wonders.
xjeeunitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2012, 07:59 PM   #12
joseluu
"TRF" Member

Check your wrist too.
joseluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2012, 11:51 PM   #13
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
I wonder if he simply bent the folded part of the clasp (that has a slight curve to it to ensure the clasp locks tightly). It's possible that has bent slightly and loosened the watch.

Maybe.

Commissioner of WEIRD POLICE , Badge # ecsub44
ecsub44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2012, 11:57 PM   #14
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
My guess is the easylink popped out
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote