The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 August 2020, 02:34 PM   #31
Lamontre
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post

Fourth, if there is any germs around it they would be mine anyway, so it's completely irrelevant.

I wont tell you what to do if you like to keep sticker on it is your watch, but just let me tell you that your fourth assumption is absolutely wrong.
Lamontre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 02:42 PM   #32
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

If you sent your watch to a RSC...

It will be removed along with any sharp edges as they round them out like a donut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Apheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 02:51 PM   #33
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
They’d remove it
Wearing a hazmat suit and a pair of ten-foot tweezers.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 10:16 PM   #34
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamontre View Post
I wont tell you what to do if you like to keep sticker on it is your watch, but just let me tell you that your fourth assumption is absolutely wrong.
Fair enough
Germs are certainly not my division and I can definately be a bit of a grub at times so I figured it was a fair assumption that my germs would be the dominant ones

I suppose my only redeeming quality is that I do clean up regularly and thoroughly, which includes a fairly regular watch soak and bath with very hot water and dish soap along with a good scrubbing with a soft toothbrush to generate lots of bubbles which work through all the nooks and crannies
My watches are very clean in general to the point that Bas would be most pleased to have them come across his work bench so he can make a well intentioned unilateral decision to rip that Caseback sticker straight off in pursuit of absolute perfection, despite what is written on the work order from the dealer
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 10:20 PM   #35
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apheaven View Post
It will be removed along with any sharp edges as they round them out like a donut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would that be despite any specific directive by the owner not to polish the watch?
Old 17 August 2020, 10:25 PM   #36
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
Wearing a hazmat suit and a pair of ten-foot tweezers.
The best approach would be to burn it off with a blow torch.
The flame would kill everything that may be ready to jump off the Caseback and infect the whole district.
The Rona would have nothing on what lurks beneath those stickers
Old 17 August 2020, 10:45 PM   #37
Ketler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
First, there's no legitimate reason to remove it.
Second, any watch I've had with a sticker on the Caseback has fallen off eventually. Except the Rolex ones which didn't worry me as I couldn't see it whilst wearing the watch.
Third, it can help to mitigate unnecessary scratches on the Caseback in the event of mishandling.
Fourth, if there is any germs around it they would be mine anyway, so it's completely irrelevant.
Fifth, out of curiosity I left them on to see how resiliant they actually were. My early Rolex watches had nothing iirc.
Sixth, was resale value as some people around these parts don't see many Rolex watches and are sceptical of being caught by fakes. Keeping the sticker on definately helped to allay fears of the legitimacy of the watch at resale on two separate occasions.
This flowed onto my own purchases of a few second hand Rolex watches in this part of the world.
One from a grey i had never met in person(it helps believe it or not).

A family friend that deals in antiques and collectables has always said that provenance is everything and that anything at all which adds to the package as it came from the manufacturer is highly advantageous at point of resale.
In summary, all Boxes and full papers are crucial at times. Even the original carry bag the retailer gives you at point of sale adds to the value at some point.

Sorry if I come across as anal but I have had some education in these matters from very successful people who operate in this field. Their advise has proven to be sound.
I'm just not blase about things where it's proven to be relevant at times
Besides I was given the option by the dealer and the watches have had multiple RSC services and the sticker stayed on without issue. Even the service undertaken by the mothership at the insistence of Rolex in Geneva
Ketler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 11:09 PM   #38
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mickol View Post
I have an OP which I bought in 2004. It went to the RSC for it’s first service in 2012, and they removed the sticker. It was so noted on the work order that THEY removed it.

So my answer is yes.
Ditto, exactly what was written on mine just a couple months ago. Apparently I missed a few stickers!
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 11:30 PM   #39
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
Quote:
lol.
They actually documented it
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRickles View Post
Ditto, exactly what was written on mine just a couple months ago. Apparently I missed a few stickers!
Here ya go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F60B863F-3F89-4EEE-BB36-AB498ABCE5A4.jpeg (148.4 KB, 27 views)
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote