The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 April 2022, 12:52 AM   #1
Alex369
"TRF" Member

Fit question: current GMT vs current Sub 41

Hi folks!

I currently have a pre-ceramic Sub and a current GMT (on a jubilee). I have a 6.5inch wrist and am really pleased with how well the GMT wears (I had feared the maxi-case proportions would overpower my wrist).

Now I'm thinking about adding a current Sub, but am similarly wary of the newer 41mm case and 21mm bracelet. I'll surely throw an exhibition model on to compare, but I'm curious to hear from any of you who have lived with both the current GMT and current Sub, on how they compare in terms of comfort and wrist presence (especially if you happen to have slim wrists...).

Thanks!
Alex369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2022, 12:59 AM   #2
horohollis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Orient Ray Diver
I have both a 126711chnr on oyster and the new 126610ln 41mm sub. The new sub has a slightly larger link width and a larger and longer clasp. In my opinion the sub wears better in terms of adjustability, than the gmt, due to the new bracelet and clasp. I do however really love the gmt proportions as they are and wouldn’t change a thing. The gmt is still my most worn piece and is to me just as comfortable as the new sub.

Oh and I’m just over 6.75”

Last edited by horohollis; 30 April 2022 at 01:00 AM.. Reason: Wrist size inclusion
horohollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2022, 01:13 AM   #3
IamJacky
"TRF" Member

I also have 6 1/2" wrist and I own a 116610LN 40mm Sub Date and the older 16610LV which I assume wears much similar to the 5 digit GMT.

I've never owned the 126610 Sub but I would assume they wear very similarly, and for me I think the 116610 is proportionally borderline too big/wide for my wrist, which I'll settle as the limit, anything bigger such as the Sea Dweller or Deep Sea is a definite no go for me.

But yeah, since the exhibition models are available at most ADs, I highly suggest you try them out first.

116610:

16610LV:
Old 30 April 2022, 01:23 AM   #4
rolex818
"TRF" Member

I have both, sub 41 (date) and BLRO on Jubilee. Sub wears more heavy/substantial, but it’s more balanced I think due to the thicker bracelet and clasp.

Interestingly though, despite the larger size and heft, you sometimes forget you have a watch on your wrist. I wear the sub the most; for that reason as well “less bling” on a daily basis.

But I think it’s important to get the fitment right. If you do that the watches will wear well. I took out a link from the Jubilee (12 o’clock side) but I never felt it was 100%. I’ll probably go to the RSC in 90210 one of these days to have them tweak the clasp extension for my ~7 inch wrist.

That being said, today I’m taking my z-blue for a spin, which is a very comfy watch in its own right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rolex818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2022, 01:23 AM   #5
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
My wrist is approximately 6.4" and the 126610LV barely clears both side of my wrist. Still ok but just.

IMG_29042022_232240_(800_x_1080_pixel).jpg
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2022, 02:12 AM   #6
LVx2
Banned

I have both models you mentioned. I’m going to say the 41 sub wears slightly bigger. The difference isn’t enough to rule it out if you’re comfortably wearing the gmt. Only if you were right at your limit with the gmt would there be reason to pause.

Of course, nothing beats trying it on so take advantage of the opportunity if it presents.
LVx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2022, 02:13 AM   #7
Alex369
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
My wrist is approximately 6.4" and the 126610LV barely clears both side of my wrist. Still ok but just.

Attachment 1288816
Looks fantastic!
Old 30 April 2022, 02:14 AM   #8
TexEd
"TRF" Member

Go with the current sub and its improvements. You won't regret it.
TexEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2022, 02:15 AM   #9
Alex369
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVx2 View Post
I have both models you mentioned. I’m going to say the 41 sub wears slightly bigger. The difference isn’t enough to rule it out if you’re comfortably wearing the gmt. Only if you were right at your limit with the gmt would there be reason to pause.

Of course, nothing beats trying it on so take advantage of the opportunity if it presents.
Thanks! The GMT wears very comfortably....so I think the Sub will be fine...
Old 30 April 2022, 02:55 AM   #10
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie
GMT wears flatter than a Submariner due to the case back.
S.Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2022, 03:02 AM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I own the 126710 on jubilee and the 124060. 7” wrist.

IMHO nothing will wear as comfortably than the jubilee, especially with a smaller wrist. That said, caseback shape has more to do with it than anything IMO. The Submariner has a deep (relatively speaking) caseback and it tends to push the mid case off the wrist, whereas the GMT has a flatter caseback and it wears more like a cushion case.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2022, 09:02 AM   #12
csr18
"TRF" Member

My first Rolex was the current 41mm Date Sub.
3 weeks ago, I was able to get the Pepsi on Jubilee.
Yesterday, I was able to get the Rootbeer.
For me, both GMTs wear so much better. I can wear both all day. After work or being out for a few hours with the Sub, I would want to take it off as soon as I got home. The large clasp is the main reason I feel like.
csr18 is offline   Reply With Quote