The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 28 January 2019, 10:51 PM   #1
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Mountain bike for an old guy

I'm 63 and thinking of getting a new mountain bike. I live near a great state park here in Florida with great trails int the woods. My 16 yr. old Trek MTB was converted years ago with slicks and more of a road set of cogs in the rear. It hasn't seen dirt in a long time.

I know things have changed drastically in the past years with regard to frames, brakes and tire sizes.

Any advise on brands and things to look for before I hit my local bike shops would be appreciated.
Bluside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 10:57 PM   #2
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
I'm 63 and thinking of getting a new mountain bike. I live near a great state park here in Florida with great trails int the woods. My 16 yr. old Trek MTB was converted years ago with slicks and more of a road set of cogs in the rear. It hasn't seen dirt in a long time.

I know things have changed drastically in the past years with regard to frames, brakes and tire sizes.

Any advise on brands and things to look for before I hit my local bike shops would be appreciated.
Almost any brand of bike you'll find at a bona fide bike shop should suffice. At your age, a full suspension bike would be easier on your joints. As well, your neck and back might benefit from a slight riser bar as opposed to the old flat bars.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 11:31 PM   #3
gettocard
Banned

Watch: them come and go..
As you may imagine market has evolved dramatically. My last mountainbike owned in 2016 is considered so obsolete is not even produced anymore.

First thing : how much money you want to invest in it ?

Second thing : go full suspension,no question about that.

Third thing : do not be ashamed in considering an E-mtb.
People frown upon them a lot until they test ride one. I'm a die hard road cyclist but if one day I'll ever consider to add a mtb to my stable it will be a E bike hands down, I'm talking as a 45 years old very fit and active person who has been like that for the past 22 years.
Trek and Specialized makes some top of the line E mountainbikes. You may not have much hills to climb in Florida but trust me you can get a very good workout on a E bike too and the whole thing will be easy on your body,especially if you haven't been active for a while.

My vote goes to Specialized,I've been a loyal fan to the brand for many years. Great design,very safe and surefooted frames and extremely comfortable. Not the cheapest brand maybe but they sell more bikes in the world than any other brand,their bikes are damn sexy. And outstanding customer service too.
gettocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 11:43 PM   #4
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
I am a 63 year-old and I ride a Trek Fuel EX5 bike with 27.5 inch mid-fat tires. It has disk brakes and a fully adjustable front and rear suspension. I primarily ride single track trails, but the suspension can be locked out for road riding. I previously rode a 1996 Gary Fisher mountain bike, which was a great bike in its day, but the new Trek is light years ahead in terms of comfort, handling and comfort.

joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 12:43 AM   #5
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
I'm a huge Trek fan. For flatter trails in Florida, a cross country bike like the Trek Top Fuel would be great. Super light, full suspension, and 29in tires. A lot will depend on how much money you want to spend and how much you're going to ride. Just a quick question off topic. What are the chances of coming up on alligators when out on Florida trails? That would be a big concern of mine.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 01:09 AM   #6
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for the responses. I have been riding for many years. Just not as much as I used to. I sold my carbon road bike many years ago and my mountain bike has been my only bike for a while, albeit with road type tires. Yes, I will be getting a full suspension, like my old Trek Fuel 98. My old one has 26' wheels.

I bought a Trek XM700 Ebike last summer. The electric bike has been great on the road and even some bike paths. I don't want another E bike. This will be hanging in my garage and the electric bikes are just too heavy for me to lift like that.

I would like to stay in the $3000 +/- range.
Old 29 January 2019, 01:14 AM   #7
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Here are your decisions to make:

1. Wheel size

I am a 51 year old MTBer in Colorado so my needs might be different but I would second the above poster’s recommendations on looking for a 29” wheeled bike, especially if you are 5’9” or taller. The larger wheels will give you a sense of easier pedalling over the flats and roots that you might encounter on your Florida trails than a bike with 27” wheels. I ride 27” for rougher steeper terrain as it is a personal preference for me. If I rode less technical trail, I would be all over a 29er.

2. Dual suspension or hardtail.

You can get by with either in Florida, especially if you will be riding mostly bike paths as opposed to rough trails. If more than 30% trail, or if you have had back issues, absolutely go rear suspension.

3. The next step is price point.

A good dual suspension bike can be bought for around $2,500.00 more money buys you lighter and better components. I personally think the sweet spot for value versus performance is in the $3,700 - $4,500 range. Anything more than that and you start chasing diminishing returns.

An good hardtail will run about $1,800 - $2,200. Excellent bikes are up to $3,500.

These prices are based on frame materials (carbon v. Aluminum) and components. Carbon is great if you are willing to pay for it but alot of great aluminum bikes are out there, especially in dual suspension.

I highly recommend a 1x drivetrain - no front derailluer to worry about. Would not even consider a 2x.

4. Brands.

This is totally irrelevant. It solely depends on what fits. Nearly every major brand has a great selection of bikes at each price point so it comes down to which one fits best. For me, it is Santa Cruz and Specialized. Trek bikes are awesome, but are too long in reach for me to ride comfortably.

Now is a great time to buy as there are still many of last year’s models sitting around at 15-30% off. My wife bought a Specialized Stumpjumper at $3,750 that retailed at $4,800.

5. Bike shops.

Buy the shop as much as the bike. Make dang sure they give you good advice and are really interested in getting the right fit for you. With dual suspension bikes, you will be in for service much more frequently than old hardtails.

Have fun shopping.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 01:24 AM   #8
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Here are your decisions to make:

1. Wheel size

I am a 51 year old MTBer in Colorado so my needs might be different but I would second the above poster’s recommendations on looking for a 29” wheeled bike, especially if you are 5’9” or taller. The larger wheels will give you a sense of easier pedalling over the flats and roots that you might encounter on your Florida trails than a bike with 27” wheels. I ride 27” for rougher steeper terrain as it is a personal preference for me. If I rode less technical trail, I would be all over a 29er.

2. Dual suspension or hardtail.

You can get by with either in Florida, especially if you will be riding mostly bike paths as opposed to rough trails. If more than 30% trail, or if you have had back issues, absolutely go rear suspension.

3. The next step is price point.

A good dual suspension bike can be bought for around $2,500.00 more money buys you lighter and better components. I personally think the sweet spot for value versus performance is in the $3,700 - $4,500 range. Anything more than that and you start chasing diminishing returns.

An good hardtail will run about $1,800 - $2,200. Excellent bikes are up to $3,500.

These prices are based on frame materials (carbon v. Aluminum) and components. Carbon is great if you are willing to pay for it but alot of great aluminum bikes are out there, especially in dual suspension.

I highly recommend a 1x drivetrain - no front derailluer to worry about. Would not even consider a 2x.

4. Brands.

This is totally irrelevant. It solely depends on what fits. Nearly every major brand has a great selection of bikes at each price point so it comes down to which one fits best. For me, it is Santa Cruz and Specialized. Trek bikes are awesome, but are too long in reach for me to ride comfortably.

Now is a great time to buy as there are still many of last year’s models sitting around at 15-30% off. My wife bought a Specialized Stumpjumper at $3,750 that retailed at $4,800.

5. Bike shops.

Buy the shop as much as the bike. Make dang sure they give you good advice and are really interested in getting the right fit for you. With dual suspension bikes, you will be in for service much more frequently than old hardtails.

Have fun shopping.
Great post, Jason. Good info.
Thanks.
Old 29 January 2019, 01:28 AM   #9
Pix
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Datejust
E-bike.
Pix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 02:30 AM   #10
rb250
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Seiko
Check out specialized. They have a bike for every price range. Full suspension or hard tail. Definitely get a 29er. They roll over bumps much easier.
rb250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 04:30 AM   #11
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

I agree with others that a good mountain bike can be had for $2,500 to $3,000 US. Another thought is to talk to members of bike clubs and look locally for good used bikes. I know of several people who bought mountain bikes and decided after a short time that they didn't want to continue riding. You could find a lightly used bike for a very low price.

If you buy new, I also strongly encourage you to buy from a local bike shop. I've purchased several bikes from the local shop, and I enjoy talking bikes and cycling with the owner. He's full of information about upcoming bike events or new, little known trails. And I know my bike is in great condition when I'm running on trails that could shake apart a poorly maintained bike.
Old 29 January 2019, 06:21 AM   #12
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Aluminum frame or carbon? Thoughts?
Old 29 January 2019, 06:36 AM   #13
gettocard
Banned

Quote:
Carbon all the way for me. If you go E bike you can skip carbon tho..
Old 29 January 2019, 06:52 AM   #14
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have seen two carbon frames break. Both were covered by warranty. At my age and ability, I'm happy with metal.
Old 29 January 2019, 07:22 AM   #15
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
I am just slightly younger than you and have had a number of full suss MBs.

The last one I bought nearly three years ago and meets every requirement.
It climbs nicely and descends well and has improved my riding no end.
The only downside is that It costs more to maintain than my Range Rover (but in the UK, it is an expensive sport/hobby)
I opted for 29” full Carbon with high end components and a friend went for alli which is a fair bit heavier, but also very nice and slightly cheaper.
Anyway, if I had to buy another bike tomorrow it would be exactly the same:

Santa Cruz Tallboy

PS. I hear all the arguments for a battery bike, but one of the main reasons I bike is for the fitness/heart exercise/calorie burn. So I will not be purchasing one unless the choice is electric biking or no biking.
andyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 07:33 AM   #16
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Another consideration could be a fat bike, especially if it is going to be used for exercise/fun on the trails. I know you don’t have snow in Florida but I recently got a Trek Farley 7 with front suspension and have used it more than my carbon Trek Superfly full suspension. I find that the lower tire pressure gives a nice ride over trails that my 50 year old body appreciates. It certainly is geared for trails and rolling resistance is greater but I feel like I get a good ride in less miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 10:48 AM   #17
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
I have seen two carbon frames break. Both were covered by warranty. At my age and ability, I'm happy with metal.
I have broken three aluminum mtb frames! I have five seasons on my carbon Santa Cruz with no problems yet.

Both Santa Cruz and Specialized have great warranties on their frames. A crash is as likely to destroy an aluminum frame as a carbon.

One tip is make sure you get a frame with a threaded bottom bracket. My press fit carbin frames have all been creak monsters.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 29 January 2019, 11:22 AM   #18
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
I am a 63 year-old and I ride a Trek Fuel EX5 bike with 27.5 inch mid-fat tires. It has disk brakes and a fully adjustable front and rear suspension. I primarily ride single track trails, but the suspension can be locked out for road riding. I previously rode a 1996 Gary Fisher mountain bike, which was a great bike in its day, but the new Trek is light years ahead in terms of comfort, handling and comfort.

I still ride a GAry Fisher from around 1996. It's a "Hoo Koo e Koo" and I just had it tuned up. I'm looking at having the existing parts, derailleurs, brakes, upgraded to today's technology. I think I can do it for around $800, which is as expensive as a decent new bike, but I love the GF frame.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 12:04 PM   #19
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
I still ride a GAry Fisher from around 1996. It's a "Hoo Koo e Koo" and I just had it tuned up. I'm looking at having the existing parts, derailleurs, brakes, upgraded to today's technology. I think I can do it for around $800, which is as expensive as a decent new bike, but I love the GF frame.
I had the GF Utopia. A few years ago, Gary Fisher came to our ski/bike resort for the grand opening of the trail system. I had him sign the frame of my Utopia with a gold pen. I had it clear coated to preserve the signature. He told me that at the time, the Utopia was one of his favorite bikes.

Rolex content. I wore my blue Tudor Sub.

Old 29 January 2019, 12:25 PM   #20
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

I was at the state park today where I will be doing most of my riding and found out they do not allow Ebikes on the trails.

They only allow the Ebikes on the paved areas.
Old 29 January 2019, 12:41 PM   #21
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
You have picked a topic near and dear to my heart. After 20+ years of motorcycle roadracing I was introduced to mountainbikes and was instantly hooked. I was 40 on my first ride, started racing soon after, and I'll be 63 next month and still going strong. I've had a bunch of bikes in that 22 years and my current pair are my babies. The hardtail is a 2016 Scott Scale 900SL (for Super Light), large frame, weighs 20.4 lbs. The full suspension is a 2018 Scott Spark RC900SL, large weighing 21.4 lbs. These are both high end because it's worth it to me but you don't have to spend a fortune to enjoy the health, fitness, and euphoria of off road cycling. I have a nice road bike too but rarely ride it anymore. I've ridden all over the country, our state race series starts next month and I'll be riding in the mountains of Southern California the week after. Any questions fee free to ask.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F262EE33-64FB-4F98-A769-54ED13CC1398.jpeg (198.6 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpeg 9D88E040-507C-4696-AF7F-1F1E732B8D8B.jpeg (185.1 KB, 172 views)
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 02:24 PM   #22
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
You have picked a topic near and dear to my heart. After 20+ years of motorcycle roadracing I was introduced to mountainbikes and was instantly hooked. I was 40 on my first ride, started racing soon after, and I'll be 63 next month and still going strong. I've had a bunch of bikes in that 22 years and my current pair are my babies. The hardtail is a 2016 Scott Scale 900SL (for Super Light), large frame, weighs 20.4 lbs. The full suspension is a 2018 Scott Spark RC900SL, large weighing 21.4 lbs. These are both high end because it's worth it to me but you don't have to spend a fortune to enjoy the health, fitness, and euphoria of off road cycling. I have a nice road bike too but rarely ride it anymore. I've ridden all over the country, our state race series starts next month and I'll be riding in the mountains of Southern California the week after. Any questions fee free to ask.
Shoot me a private message when you get to California if you'd like some company on your rides. I've got a 21lb. Spark myself, and an 18lb. Focus Raven hardtail. My racing days are over, though I can still turn a crank.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 07:33 PM   #23
gettocard
Banned

Quote:
I had the GF Utopia. A few years ago, Gary Fisher came to our ski/bike resort for the grand opening of the trail system. I had him sign the frame of my Utopia with a gold pen. I had it clear coated to preserve the signature. He told me that at the time, the Utopia was one of his favorite bikes.

Rolex content. I wore my blue Tudor Sub.

Wow ! That left me speechless ! And jealous !
Old 30 January 2019, 07:46 AM   #24
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Test riding is not that easy. I went to 3 bike shops today and yesterday. None of the 3 had any of the bikes I wanted to see in my size with the 29" wheel.

However, they all said they could order me one.
Old 30 January 2019, 09:17 AM   #25
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Which bikes did you look at, Bluside?
Old 30 January 2019, 12:03 PM   #26
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Which bikes did you look at, Bluside?
I'm leaning towards a Specialized Stumpjumper carbon and a Trek Fuel EX. Looked at a Scott and Felt. But again, nothing in a L with 29 wheel.
Old 30 January 2019, 12:52 PM   #27
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I'm leaning towards a Specialized Stumpjumper carbon and a Trek Fuel EX. Looked at a Scott and Felt. But again, nothing in a L with 29 wheel.
Which model Stumpjumper? The 2019 Expert 27.5 is high on my wish list.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
Old 30 January 2019, 12:58 PM   #28
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
This is kind of an offseason for mountainbikes which may be why stock is slim. New year models used to be shown at Interbike in September and become available by November/December. Now many are introduced in the late spring/early summer then available to order in July.
I would say medium and large frames are definitely the most sold sizes so that may explain why you’re not seeing many on the floor. Keep reading up, mtbr.com is a good site to peruse and ride whatever you can. I think most major brands are pretty competent design wise but they all have slightly different geometry, Scott bikes always seem to fit me right out of the box.
Another thing you’ve probably noticed is that single rings in the front are predominant now, my hardtail is 1X11, my dualie has the latest 1X12 SRAM Eagle. The overall range is even broader than the older 2 and 3x with no overlap. I prefer the tactile feel of SRAM drivetrains but Shimano is certainly at the same level. Weirdly my hardtail came with SRAM drivtrain but Shimano brakes, my Spark is all SRAM. I don’t know if you live near Ocala but if you do I can suggest a shop there.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 11:33 PM   #29
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

I agree with others that a 1X drivetrain is all you need. I never use the front derailleur on my 2X.
Old 31 January 2019, 07:05 AM   #30
mschafer
"TRF" Member

Great posts. I'm personally a fan of Fatbikes. I ride on Long Island and like to mix up with a beach ride once in while. And some of our tracks also have sand which makes whipping out or sinking in so much easier. Therefor a 4.8" tire was the answer. These are obviously a little slower on harder surfaces but give you a little bounce so that a full suspension might not be necessary. The another big issue is that everything has to be somewhat supersized, aka weight can become prominent. I went higher end custom built with a Borealis frame, a lot of carbon components, 4.8" Schwalbe JumboJim Snakeskin (tubeless) tires, front suspension only and with 1x11 gearing, drop seat; ended up around 30lbs, which is great to load the bike into my car as well. Also, you can switch to narrower rims and 29" tires when you don't need the additional float on sand and save some weight.
mschafer is offline   Reply With Quote