The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 8 February 2019, 03:30 AM   #1
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Designer sneakers

Found a couple of sneakerhead threads on here but they seem to mostly interested in the collectable Nikes, etc. I have always liked nice things and had bought a few pairs of fairly expensive dress shoes but seemingly out of nowhere I found myself browsing in the sneaker sections of the high end department stores. After caving in just a couple years ago I now have built up a bit of a collection. I don't have to dress up for work so these are/can be daily wear. Please share so I know I'm not the only one!
Here's 13 pairs I've accumulated in chronological order, it's highly addictive.
1. Alexander McQueen 2. Puma Coogi 3. Alexander McQueen 4. Lanvin 5. Alexander McQueen 6. Alexander McQueen 7. Puma Bradley Theodore 8. Fendi 9. Christian Louboutin 10. Christian Louboutin 11. Off White 12. Off White 13. Off White
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 096CDE8C-EEAD-4762-9F7E-AF0411ABEF77.jpeg (199.2 KB, 652 views)
File Type: jpeg 35BABEC1-D532-4B18-8F70-7A32A8AA22C0.jpeg (182.7 KB, 652 views)
File Type: jpeg BD64FFAC-E0C3-4626-939F-CEAA1F3C069C.jpeg (189.9 KB, 651 views)
File Type: jpeg 4E1A7996-BEA7-4FB6-8B2F-1DEF991A1419.jpeg (194.3 KB, 648 views)
File Type: jpeg 8EF5ACD6-053F-4E71-A2F7-3620B13BB86C.jpeg (198.7 KB, 643 views)
File Type: jpeg 22DD0B9F-6508-4047-B90E-71D0B5D985AF.jpeg (193.3 KB, 648 views)
File Type: jpeg 8504C890-5A30-4ACB-A620-02CFB959535A.jpeg (198.9 KB, 645 views)
File Type: jpeg 763B7726-B8DA-4A7A-9003-7D1A2B5C2EFD.jpeg (194.5 KB, 650 views)
File Type: jpeg 0C6FAB5B-BB21-4574-B3A7-00514887269B.jpeg (197.7 KB, 643 views)
File Type: jpeg 6859CC69-319B-4092-9A24-50545FAFC607.jpeg (187.3 KB, 623 views)
File Type: jpeg 4615D030-225C-45CF-B400-D387156F637F.jpeg (196.6 KB, 618 views)
File Type: jpeg D112BE9A-B752-42EC-896E-9CB7F44EFA2C.jpeg (184.9 KB, 629 views)
File Type: jpeg B9347A93-A886-4F8A-B34E-482B55BC4587.jpeg (237.2 KB, 614 views)
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 03:36 AM   #2
SearChart
TechXpert

How does the quality/durability from 'high-end' designer brands compare to say, an €80 pair of Adidas or Nike?
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 03:43 AM   #3
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
How does the quality/durability from 'high-end' designer brands compare to say, an €80 pair of Adidas or Nike?
All of these except the Pumas and Off White Vulcs are handmade in Italy versus mass produced in Asia.
Old 8 February 2019, 06:09 AM   #4
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
All of these except the Pumas and Off White Vulcs are handmade in Italy versus mass produced in Asia.
You can get hand-made in Italy for $100

Jokes aside - these are definitely not my cup of tea (I truly think they are hideous)- but if you enjoy them, good for you

Regarding dress shoes - very very few designers actually make a quality shoe.
Old 8 February 2019, 06:28 AM   #5
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
I have some golden goose, St Laurent and Lanvin but that is about as crazy as I get. Also have my snoopy vans high tops that match my sons so those are the ones I wear the most lately.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 06:56 AM   #6
Burlington
"TRF" Member

I have several pairs of Harry’s of London sneakers which I really like. Unfortunately they seem determined to undermine themselves with constant sales.

They last much much longer and crucially have repairable soles with full leather uppers compared to a regular trainer it’s a totally different shoe with proper construction. Stopped wearing my dress shoes for work almost entirely now as they fit the smart / casual bill perfectly.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 07:13 AM   #7
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Nice collection. I dig a hand made dress shoe, boot or loafer. But for sneaks, I love the ultra boosts.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 08:19 AM   #8
Star Ferry
Banned

anecdotally, I find made-in-vietnam Prada sneakers to be extremely durable. I have two pairs with 500+ miles on them still going strong, just needed new insoles
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 11:37 AM   #9
Romeojk
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 114060
Great sneakers and great socks! I’ll snap some pics and post my sneakers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Romeojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 11:41 AM   #10
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
Understood on the handmade in Italy part and the exclusivity, but how is the durability? Do you treat them like a dress shoe? Or like a regular pair of sneakers? I guess with that many pair they will last a long time.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 12:29 PM   #11
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
Understood on the handmade in Italy part and the exclusivity, but how is the durability? Do you treat them like a dress shoe? Or like a regular pair of sneakers? I guess with that many pair they will last a long time.
I wear them to work and for “normal” wear, I’ve got lesser shoes for when they’re likely to get muddy, stepped on, etc. Kind of like when people say no one notices your watch? Well it depends on where you go. In any luxury item type store people often compliment them.
I guess I do take better care of them as I would for a nice dress shoe, but I didn’t buy them to just look at and not wear.
Old 9 February 2019, 01:22 AM   #12
s2h904
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust/YM
I have a few pairs of Louis V sneakers-extremely comfortable. My Gucci's not so much. My everyday-Air Max 97....have about 10 pairs. I'm flat footed like a mother-my knuckles scrape the ground when I walk. Hard to find a nice comfy sneaker in size 15
s2h904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2019, 01:33 AM   #13
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I just bought my wife a pair of Chanel sneakers.

I’m still a little bit sick about it.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2019, 03:39 AM   #14
martinr
"TRF" Member

Been wearing Prada sneakers for fifteen years (not the same pair) and they’re durable, I walk a lot and they last three years easily. But the price has crept up from $340 to over $600. And what bugs me is paying made in Italy money for a product made in Vietnam. Same quality but still it’s annoying. So now I make sure if I replace it’s when they first come out and are made it Italy. The latest style of Gucci etc that’s oversized and weigh a ton are ugly in my opinion and you feel like you’re walking in quicksand.
martinr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2019, 03:58 AM   #15
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

I once saw a documentary about how some companies in Italy were bringing over workers from China and paying them peanuts. The business owners were able to keep costs down while still making their products in Italy.

When you see “Made in Italy”, its easy to picture some Italian old timer whose family has been in the business for generations, carefully crafting your shoes (or whatever the product may be), but that isn’t always the case. Does that take away from the allure of being made in Italy? Something interesting to think about...
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2019, 03:59 AM   #16
ian.thomas

Not my thing, but I can appreciate the enthusiasm and desire to collect them!

You're asking me how a watch works. For now, let’s just keep an eye on the time.
ian.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2019, 04:43 AM   #17
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
I once saw a documentary about how some companies in Italy were bringing over workers from China and paying them peanuts. The business owners were able to keep costs down while still making their products in Italy.

When you see “Made in Italy”, its easy to picture some Italian old timer whose family has been in the business for generations, carefully crafting your shoes (or whatever the product may be), but that isn’t always the case. Does that take away from the allure of being made in Italy? Something interesting to think about...

Maybe so but I want my Italian shoes made in Italy. I’m not going to worry about the worker and what nationality he or she is, I look at the label and that’s it, not looking for some old craftsmen who’s been in shoemaking business for 100 years, I just don’t care that much.
martinr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2019, 04:46 AM   #18
Thug
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post

This has been happening for decades but the west is still infatuated with made in Italy labels.

The reality is that the best of the best factories are in China, period. Whether the brands you buy from use them or not is a different story. Yes there are plenty of sweatshops with unsafe working conditions but you will find that in any country. It’s up to the consumer to do background research and support the brands that go to more ethical factories

Handmade for sneakers is also overrated. There’ll be much more consistency by machine.
Thug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2019, 05:23 AM   #19
Brew
"TRF" Member

My socks aren't up to the task.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2019, 09:10 AM   #20
woodsworth
"TRF" Member

I have a few... mainly from Lanvin, Balenciaga, Madison Margiela and Rick Owens. Quality wise, the RO’s are better than the rest imo.
woodsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 11:47 AM   #21
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

I remember this crazy vintage Ferrari guy who sent his tires to Maranello so they could put air in them. This way during Concours competition he could even say the air in the tires were from the Ferrari factory. Yes I'm serious, you can't make this crazy stuff up. Made in Italy, like made in America or any country, can vary in quality. Also some countries allow what I would call board stuffers, or certain materials or pre-assembled in one country and then just some final finishing / assembly could happen in America and it could say made in America. I'm not sure what laws are in Italy and how much they can Outsource prefabricated bits and then still call it made in Italy.

Your shoes look great! It's really become a hot fad and bubble right now, which helped keeps luxury goods moving forward :-)

Brioni M2M suit would compliment your sneakers... or D&G if you want a bit more forward styling.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 11:53 AM   #22
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
Awesome collection.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2019, 03:14 AM   #23
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian.thomas View Post
Not my thing, but I can appreciate the enthusiasm and desire to collect them!

Very well said, I agree completely.
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2019, 05:08 AM   #24
Newrolex1234
"TRF" Member

Great collection! I like to stick to Yeezy’s 700 or 350 and Jordan 1’s. My everyday shoe is either Stan’s or some chucks.
Newrolex1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2019, 07:04 AM   #25
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thug View Post
This has been happening for decades but the west is still infatuated with made in Italy labels.

The reality is that the best of the best factories are in China, period. Whether the brands you buy from use them or not is a different story. Yes there are plenty of sweatshops with unsafe working conditions but you will find that in any country. It’s up to the consumer to do background research and support the brands that go to more ethical factories

Handmade for sneakers is also overrated. There’ll be much more consistency by machine.
you can get better garment manufacturing in Italy, Turkey, or Portugal. Chinese factories are rarely contracted to make very high end clothes. What are the best brands manufacturing in China? Theory and RRL?

in terms of sneakers, I think vietnam has been in this business for a while. I don't blame Prada for going there, since the product is good
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2019, 09:34 AM   #26
Thug
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
you can get better garment manufacturing in Italy, Turkey, or Portugal.
Can you clear what you mean by better garment manufacturing? From a quality standpoint, it really varies based on factory and even then, things coming from same factory doesn't equal same quality of work. No experience with Portugal or Turkey but Italy definitely has consistency issues (see Eidos during Ciongoli era and various forums and postings of some of the Neapolitan houses).

Quote:
Chinese factories are rarely contracted to make very high end clothes.
I'd say that's due to minimums plus perception. Factories in China need x amount of commitment or else it's not worth the time. If you're a high end brand, being limited and exclusive is a factor for the consumers. Factories in the countries you listed are more flexible with smaller orders since they're not that big to begin with. From a perception standpoint, like a i mentioned earlier, the western world still has a negative connotation with made in china.

Quote:
in terms of sneakers, I think vietnam has been in this business for a while. I don't blame Prada for going there, since the product is good
Yes, due to Chinese factories being more expensive, companies moved on to places like Vietnam, Bangladesh, etc.
Thug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 06:15 AM   #27
marshp
"TRF" Member

Nice sneakers collection,i love it.
marshp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 09:35 AM   #28
Romeojk

Watch: Submariner 114060
You're definitely not the only one. I love sneakers ( or outside slippers, as I like to call them). This is what I'm wearing.

My favorite and softest, feels like feet pillows. Sperry shoes are very comfortable.

These I wear a lot. Nikes.

And here are the rest. New Republica and Five Four came from a mail order monthly clothes place that sometimes sends sneakers.

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190211/8c74e25c4683edc1cfa36353d586e2b0.jpg[/IMG

My LLBEANS, super comfy.

Lems.

Sperry Top Sliders. New and will wear rarely this summer. Gotta be in party mood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Romeojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 08:57 PM   #29
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thug View Post
I'd say that's due to minimums plus perception. Factories in China need x amount of commitment or else it's not worth the time. If you're a high end brand, being limited and exclusive is a factor for the consumers. Factories in the countries you listed are more flexible with smaller orders since they're not that big to begin with. From a perception standpoint, like a i mentioned earlier, the western world still has a negative connotation with made in china.
The Chinese theyself also: once in the big luxury store in the center of Rome I saw how Chinese tourists checked where made LV, Gucci and Prada.
Looked like they were striving to get only items made in France or Italy
Old 17 February 2019, 08:08 AM   #30
walds11
"TRF" Member

Art, that’s a cool designer sneaker collection you have there! I have plenty of designer boots and shoes, but no sneakers. I’m thinking about grabbing a pair of Saint Laurent canvas, leather or suede court classic sneakers. Leaning towards the court classic sneaker in destroyed canvas.