The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 October 2013, 04:26 AM   #31
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstarr View Post
Hello everyone

I've just registered and this is my post on forum.

I'm considering buying either a two-tone Submariner (black) or a two-tone Yachtmaster. It's a tough decision and have asked family and friends for their opinions, but I'm still wondering what to do.

For many years, I've dreamed of having a Submariner so it's become a bit of an obsession... however, I've recently started to have second thoughts about it as the design looks a little bit dated. But, given that I spend most of my time in business attire, it seems a fitting choice. On the other hand, the Yachmaster looks more sporty and wonder if it looks good with formal dress standard. But the design looks more modern.

Only on the basis of my personal taste, I think that the Yachtmaster looks better overall. However, one of my friends said "if you buy a Rolex, make sure you buy one that everyone recognizes it as a Rolex!" He meant that the Submariner can be spotted at a 100 yards as a Rolex, whereas the Yatchmatser is a little bit less common and possibly unfamiliar to many.

What is the general opinion on those two choices? Is it true that the Submariner can be better recognized as a Rolex than the Yatchmaster?

Any views will be welcome. It'll be definitely my "last watch" so I don't want any post-purchase regrets :-)

Rick
go YM just a slightly blingy sub and not question a Rolex from a distance if that matters

another "thought" I also like is the new GMT II-c, kinda in between your choices

tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2013, 05:09 AM   #32
phils
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Buy the one that smiles at you. For many reasons I would pick the Sub.c (116610). I have owned the tt Sub. in black, but fretted over the gold scratches. I friend owns one and he lost the bezel - many $$$$ to replace. Plus the ss Sub. holds its value best.
phils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2013, 05:12 AM   #33
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
I've had subs and they never really lasted.

Yachtmaster with platinum dial/bezel (16622) is one of my fav watches, gorgeous in person ! I say go for the Yachtmaster :)
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2013, 05:14 AM   #34
phils
"TRF" Member

Yes, but I'll bet it won't be his last Rolex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooomey View Post
In his post he said this will be his last watch. Selling was not part of the equation. Don't get bent because the Sub is most common Rolex.
phils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2013, 05:34 AM   #35
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
Hello everyone

I'm considering buying either a two-tone Submariner (black) or a two-tone Yachtmaster. It's a tough decision and have asked family and friends for their opinions, but I'm still wondering what to do.

For many years, I've dreamed of having a Submariner so it's become a bit of an obsession... however, I've recently started to have second thoughts about it as the design looks a little bit dated. But, given that I spend most of my time in business attire, it seems a fitting choice. On the other hand, the Yachmaster looks more sporty and wonder if it looks good with formal dress standard. But the design looks more modern.

Only on the basis of my personal taste, I think that the Yachtmaster looks better overall. However, one of my friends said "if you buy a Rolex, make sure you buy one that everyone recognizes it as a Rolex!" He meant that the Submariner can be spotted at a 100 yards as a Rolex, whereas the Yatchmatser is a little bit less common and possibly unfamiliar to many.

What is the general opinion on those two choices? Is it true that the Submariner can be better recognized as a Rolex than the Yatchmaster?

Any views will be welcome. It'll be definitely my "last watch" so I don't want any post-purchase regrets :-)

Rick

Welcome to RF. Buy the one that puts a smile on your face.

The honest truth is, 98% of people you come across are not going to care what is on your wrist. The remaining 2%, half will pretend not to care, and that leaves you with the 1% that say "nice watch".

That being said, I fancy a submariner, particularly one in green
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2013, 05:50 AM   #36
psv
"TRF" Member

Buy the one that sings to you in the long-run since you'll have this watch for life. In my case, that would be the TT Sub easily, not a fan of the YM.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2013, 06:02 AM   #37
alanc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270 16710B
Quote:
Hello everyone

Rick
Welcome, and don't be so sure that this will be your "last watch." Famous last words around here.....
alanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2013, 06:23 AM   #38
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

If you really want just one watch, for all seasons, so to speak, get the watch that you have long desired, which, in this case, seems to be the Sub.

If you buy the YM, you will likely still long for that Sub. So get it. The Sub is timeless, may be worn anywhere, with anything. If one is to own just one fine watch, let alone one Rolex, the Submariner is a solid choice. A safe choice, too.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2013, 12:31 PM   #39
rickstarr
"TRF" Member

Thank you so much for your views.... great food for thought. I had never thought about this issue from the re-sale value perspective. And I understand that there may never be a "last watch". I currently have a two-tone Omega Constellation, which I bought a few years ago simply because it was half the price of a sub. Now that things look a little bit brighter for me on the financial side, it's time to move on to better and bigger things!

In any case, because I'm based in Australia we don't have the full range of watches but only those that seem to have highest turnover. I can either get the sub 116613LN or the YM 16623. After spending a couple of hours looking at several pictures of both, I'm in no better position, although I keep on thinking that the sub's bezel looks a little bit old. That's really the only thing that puts me slightly off in the sub. ...and yes, James Bond would never wear a YM!

Thank you so much for everyone's opinion. Next week, I'll be the proud owner of a new Rolex, whichever it may be :)
rickstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2013, 12:34 PM   #40
elcompa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 118206
The Sub. TM is a bit of a notch. Nice to have, hard to sell. If you get it make sure you love it as you may have it a good long while.
elcompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2013, 01:19 PM   #41
mruhland31
"TRF" Member

It really is such a personal decision. I bought the Sub C a year ago and love it as much as the day I bought it. My favorite watch ever. Good luck and post pics when you decide
mruhland31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2013, 02:53 PM   #42
highlander8

YM is more sporty looking and more young professionals are wearing it.

GO for YM bro!!!

I see too many sub Rolex immitation worn by ordinary people, becuase few years ago is very popular.
highlander8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2013, 03:12 PM   #43
highlander8

No offense to sub owner's it is one of the best Rolex model when it came out.
Because it's so popular lots of fake sub came out and sold for $50-$500. And more people can afford it.
highlander8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2013, 11:10 PM   #44
gpfps
Banned

Watch: 18078
The YM is a pimped out sub. Not saying that's bad. Everyone has their own taste . Me the sub all the time.
gpfps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2013, 11:15 PM   #45
Tooomey
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step...
Quote:
Thank you so much for your views.... great food for thought. I had never thought about this issue from the re-sale value perspective. And I understand that there may never be a "last watch". I currently have a two-tone Omega Constellation, which I bought a few years ago simply because it was half the price of a sub. Now that things look a little bit brighter for me on the financial side, it's time to move on to better and bigger things!

In any case, because I'm based in Australia we don't have the full range of watches but only those that seem to have highest turnover. I can either get the sub 116613LN or the YM 16623. After spending a couple of hours looking at several pictures of both, I'm in no better position, although I keep on thinking that the sub's bezel looks a little bit old. That's really the only thing that puts me slightly off in the sub. ...and yes, James Bond would never wear a YM!

Thank you so much for everyone's opinion. Next week, I'll be the proud owner of a new Rolex, whichever it may be :)

Again! You need to see these watches in person and try on. Sub has a newer and nicer clasp and the ceramic bezel on it is a lot nicer in person.

Don't get me wrong I like the Yacht master but it doesn't have the latest upgrades like the Sub unless you buy SS. For that reason alone I would not buy. When you handle theses watches you will see what I'm talking about

If we were talking about SS watches then I would pick YM for only watch

Good luck