The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 4 January 2019, 09:18 AM   #1
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Info on Glashutte

Hey guys been looking at this brand now for a while. The panomatic lunar looks stunning, both in gold and SS. Wanted to ask any of you if you have experience with this brand and your thoughts on it.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 11:48 AM   #2
themast
"TRF" Member

I hate to do this but I need to start with a clarification: Glashutte is a town, home to several brands including Glashutte Original, A. Lange and Sohne, Mhule Glashutte, Nomos. Therefore it is preferable to always refer to Glashutte Original as such and not "Glashutte".

This being said, I have a genuine esteem for the brand for their designs, quality of execution, innovation, and price point placement. I only own a PanoMaticLunar and I have been very pleased with it so far.

You can find more information on the brand in the threads below:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=484006
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=511368 (check out the links at the bottom of the opening post)
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2019, 07:31 AM   #3
soho
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
I’ve become a big fan of Glashütte Original. Picked-up a Seventies Panorama last year and love it. Very high quality piece.

soho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2019, 12:47 PM   #4
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
GO is a phenomenal brand. I'd rate them at the same level as JLC--creative and distinct designs combined with great movements. A true "affordable" manufacture, if you will.

Given the current SS Rolex craze and a softer demand for GO, I'd recommend going pre-owned. You can find extremely good deals on watches that you won't see often on other people's wrists. No-one will ask you questions such as "Is this real?" or "How much did you pay for it?" Even 18K models can fly under the radar.

What I don't like about GO is in the details. For example, their lower-end watches do not receive the same level of decor as more expensive pieces. You can't say this about Lange--ALS puts a lot of emphasis on decoration for all of its watches. GO's higher-end models get nice movements, but if you look with a loupe at a GO and a Lange side-by-side, you'll see that Lange is still a bit more refined, especially when it comes to beveling. I don't have pics, but go to an AD that sells both brands and compare for yourself.

All that aside... I'd still go for a GO because with today's prices you can get a top notch movement in a 18K case for under 17K. (PM me if interested in leads.) In fact, I am contemplating this move and, it is possible, that my 70s will go on sale if you're interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1176.JPG (164.1 KB, 235 views)
Old 6 January 2019, 04:56 AM   #5
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Guys thank you so much for the insights and info. Still shopping around and seeing what works for me. In Vancouver there is a AD that has both them and VC so I need to get in there and take a look.

Just seeing some of their designs, I think this would make a great dressier watch. Something I could rock with a suit.

Old 6 January 2019, 04:59 AM   #6
Bosbevok
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date 40 GMT II
Montecristo Jewellers in Vancouver have an excellent selection. Was there on holiday recently.

See me at Bosbevok on YouTube
Bosbevok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2019, 05:04 AM   #7
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosbevok View Post
Montecristo Jewellers in Vancouver have an excellent selection. Was there on holiday recently.

See me at Bosbevok on YouTube

I will go check them out. I usually deal with Palladio as I have taken 3 rolex watches from them. That said though it all breaks down to who gives me the best price.

Old 6 January 2019, 05:25 AM   #8
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
GO is a phenomenal brand. I'd rate them at the same level as JLC--creative and distinct designs combined with great movements. A true "affordable" manufacture, if you will.

Given the current SS Rolex craze and a softer demand for GO, I'd recommend going pre-owned. You can find extremely good deals on watches that you won't see often on other people's wrists. No-one will ask you questions such as "Is this real?" or "How much did you pay for it?" Even 18K models can fly under the radar.
Good point regarding going per-owned. I often check a local (to me) used watch dealer and I noted lower prices for GO watches recently.

OP, they currently have a steel panograph. That is a not a very common reference and and a very cool cronograph. Not sure what you are after, but a panograph is definitively something to consider in the GO world.
Old 7 January 2019, 04:14 AM   #9
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Check out European Watch in Boston. They have a good selection of pre-owned 18K GO models at great prices. In terms of complications, execution those pieces are true high horology. Take a look at this:

https://www.glashuette-original.com/...58-01-01-01-04

And a good review here:

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/glashut...-watch-review/

What I am trying to say is that you can get a gold case with an extremely clever movement inside for close to 1/3 of the asking retail price. Had a chance to look at this watch myself, the decor is close to Lange. Not there yet, but I'd say above JLC pieces in precious metals.

Yeah, you can say I am a fan of the brand.

Will give you a hint that I heard from a few very trusted sources—Glashutte Original USA is an interesting outfit to work with. A few ADs ended up dropping GO due to the poor marketing/execution on behalf of the company. It means if you know those ADs, you can get kick ass pricing on the remaining stock. It also means that if you run into issues, you'll probably have to deal with a boutique or corporate US.

I see this as a perfect opportunity for a watch lover (not a flipper) to get into serious horology.
Old 7 January 2019, 05:16 AM   #10
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Check out European Watch in Boston. They have a good selection of pre-owned 18K GO models at great prices. In terms of complications, execution those pieces are true high horology. Take a look at this:

And a good review here:

What I am trying to say is that you can get a gold case with an extremely clever movement inside for close to 1/3 of the asking retail price. Had a chance to look at this watch myself, the decor is close to Lange. Not there yet, but I'd say above JLC pieces in precious metals.

Will give you a hint that I heard from a few very trusted sources—Glashutte Original USA is an interesting outfit to work with. A few ADs ended up dropping GO due to the poor marketing/execution on behalf of the company. It means if you know those ADs, you can get kick ass pricing on the remaining stock. It also means that if you run into issues, you'll probably have to deal with a boutique or corporate US.

I see this as a perfect opportunity for a watch lover (not a flipper) to get into serious horology.
Ah, I was referring European Watch Company in my post. They have had some interesting GO inventory lately and asking prices have been quite attractive.
Old 7 January 2019, 06:47 PM   #11
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Quote:

And a good review here:

Thank you so much for the info

Old 7 January 2019, 06:48 PM   #12
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themast View Post
Good point regarding going per-owned. I often check a local (to me) used watch dealer and I noted lower prices for GO watches recently.

OP, they currently have a steel panograph. That is a not a very common reference and and a very cool cronograph. Not sure what you are after, but a panograph is definitively something to consider in the GO world.

Will definitely look into this. Thank you

Old 7 January 2019, 10:05 PM   #13
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Very under rated brand, I have owned two, still have this one

Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 11:54 AM   #14
Justindo
"TRF" Member

GO makes excellent watches with great finishing and are tremendous values in steel.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote