The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 January 2019, 02:32 PM   #1
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Bought a project BMW. This should be fun.

Went out on a whim and bought a 2000 323i coupe today, absolutely love the car. Needs a new hood and is plagued with the dreaded no reverse but gives me a fun project. It’s got the GM trans so I’m hoping I can replace the TCC solenoid and get away with it but I might just buy a remanned valve body and swap it out. I Bought a corvette last year I bought with a blown trans and had it a month before I totaled it, so hopefully I have better luck this time around. this is much comfier, and has heated seats and a sunroof with gorgeous leather. I’m having the mixed emotions of excitement and wondering what the hell I was thinking, but overall it should be a good learning experience. Should have it up on a lift and torn apart by the weekend. Can’t decide between a carbon fiber hood or a cheap replacement and get it paint matched. I was looking at newer models earlier in the day and accidentally came across this one, kind of wish I would’ve bought the black 335i I was looking at, but for the price I paid for this, I really can’t complain. Seemed like destiny once I saw it though, as I wanted a coupe instead of a 4 door which was the only reason I walked away from the 335. Hopefully this doesn’t end up being the money pit everyone says they end up being, I guess I’ll find out after I replace the TCC solenoid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BA83DCB8-1A87-46E7-A308-575363063E73.jpeg (269.3 KB, 1175 views)
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 02:35 PM   #2
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

FUN!! I keep wanting to buy a project E39 and do something fun with it. Maybe even an LS and a 6 speed swap. I just love the look of the E39. Also like the E46 as well!!
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 03:02 PM   #3
andromeda160
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenciawatchrepair View Post
FUN!! I keep wanting to buy a project E39 and do something fun with it. Maybe even an LS and a 6 speed swap. I just love the look of the E39. Also like the E46 as well!!
An LS swap would be a riot, but after not being able to handle 300HP in the vette, having a bit more tame, easier to get in and out of everyday driver is probably best for me right now. I looked into turboing this but would probably end up swapping in a NA M3 engine instead. Ive read all sorts of conflicting arguments on this transmission so I will probably start with a TCC replacement before dropping $600 on a rebuilt valve body. Car works great going forward, just no reverse. The color looks amazing as well, probably will end up detailing the whole interior tomorrow. Couldn’t believe how much leather is in this thing. I really want an E36 M3 but they’re all pretty roached from what I’ve seen. This was owned by a local business owner with pretty meticulous maintenance. So I figured why not give it a shot. Already spent hours at looking for upgrades and I haven’t even hadn’t it a day. After rebuilding the 4l60e in my vette, I’m not too worried about tackling another transmission. Just need to get the shop manual and thoroughly follow instructions. Not as scary as most people make them out to be
Old 16 January 2019, 03:19 PM   #4
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Nice! My mom had a 2001 330ci when I first got my license. I absolutely loved that car.
Old 16 January 2019, 03:28 PM   #5
andromeda160
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Nice! My mom had a 2001 330ci when I first got my license. I absolutely loved that car.
Will be interesting to see how much a $900 BMW really costs I’m only 24 though so there will be plenty of opportunity to get something better, have had some pretty cool rides for my age already. It’s a nice contrast from the 2001 Grand marquis I drive right now. Still love the car and plan on keeping both. Have always had fun working on cars and this one seemed worth putting a few dollars into
Old 16 January 2019, 03:32 PM   #6
waQstar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16760
These are really fun cars and real easy to work on, I miss my e46.
Only thing I remember that was annoying was the window regulators and valve cover gasket.
Old 16 January 2019, 03:44 PM   #7
andromeda160
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waQstar View Post
These are really fun cars and real easy to work on, I miss my e46.
Only thing I remember that was annoying was the window regulators and valve cover gasket.
I’m assuming that giant plastic engine cover is a real hoot to take off, only thing that really bothers me are the painted rims. I found some 18” e60 rims locally but I don’t think they will fit
Old 16 January 2019, 03:49 PM   #8
Jimmy Jam Jam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bleu/Noir
mate keep us posted with the process ! i love seeing builds like these !

Looking forward buddy !
Jimmy Jam Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 03:50 PM   #9
waQstar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda160 View Post
I’m assuming that giant plastic engine cover is a real hoot to take off, only thing that really bothers me are the painted rims. I found some 18” e60 rims locally but I don’t think they will fit
It's pretty easy, I believe a couple of hoses and 10mm bolts and you are there, invest in a good quality torx set if you plan on DIY a lot of the stuff.
E46fanatics, google it, lots of great info on that forum.
No idea on the rim figment.
Old 16 January 2019, 03:56 PM   #10
andromeda160
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waQstar View Post
It's pretty easy, I believe a couple of hoses and 10mm bolts and you are there, invest in a good quality torx set if you plan on DIY a lot of the stuff.
E46fanatics, google it, lots of great info on that forum.
No idea on the rim figment.
Haha now I can justify buying some more Snap On. Always love adding new tools to the collection
Old 16 January 2019, 04:04 PM   #11
waQstar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Haha now I can justify buying some more Snap On. Always love adding new tools to the collection
Haha.. Indeed!
Old 16 January 2019, 04:12 PM   #12
SearChart
TechXpert

Congrats! Keep us posted

Pretty funny that we're both 24, and both bought an old European car and shared it to the forums within a day of each other. Must be in the air
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 04:47 PM   #13
andromeda160
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Congrats! Keep us posted

Pretty funny that we're both 24, and both bought an old European car and shared it to the forums within a day of each other. Must be in the air
I think you got the better car xD they had a show called “pimp my ride” and they customized a wagon like yours and I have always wanted one since. They command a pretty penny on this side of the pond though. Hopefully I have this thing on the road in the next few weeks, although with 10” of snow coming this weekend it is probably best I have my big v8 powered American boat for now lol
Old 16 January 2019, 05:04 PM   #14
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
I think you got the better car xD they had a show called “pimp my ride” and they customized a wagon like yours and I have always wanted one since. They command a pretty penny on this side of the pond though. Hopefully I have this thing on the road in the next few weeks, although with 10” of snow coming this weekend it is probably best I have my big v8 powered American boat for now lol
I love your generation BMW, would make for a mean trackday car. Give it more power and a roll cage

I can totally imagine what that wagon must've looked like. The show aired here as well
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 07:10 PM   #15
Yoda_Eating_Pizza
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Will be interesting to see how much a $900 BMW really costs I’m only 24 though so there will be plenty of opportunity to get something better, have had some pretty cool rides for my age already. It’s a nice contrast from the 2001 Grand marquis I drive right now. Still love the car and plan on keeping both. Have always had fun working on cars and this one seemed worth putting a few dollars into
Congrats on the "new" acquisition Since you're doing the work yourself, you're already saving a bunch. Keep us updated with your progress!

I had an OBD-I E36 M3 that I bought used, was sort of a love/hate thing lol. Easy to work on, which is a good thing, considering all the little irritating problems. To the amazement (more like disbelief) of the local independent BMW mechanic, I even rebuilt the ABS hydro unit. Even did the same for another Bimmerphile, bartered the labor for a few cases of beer.
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 07:19 PM   #16
gettocard
Banned

Watch: them come and go..
Funny how back in Europe we would do excatly the opposite picking up hands down a Corvette over an old BMW.
gettocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 08:08 PM   #17
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Good luck and have fun - E46 fan here
Old 16 January 2019, 09:04 PM   #18
dwatcher
Banned

Watch: Luxury Watches
It's an amazing car and real easy to work on. love the look of the E39. Cheers
dwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 10:27 PM   #19
Ballzzz

Love my daily 01 e46
Old 16 January 2019, 10:33 PM   #20
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
You'll have fun with this one! I'm also a huge fan of the E46. My first car back in the day was an E36 328is and I had a lot of fun learning to work on it.

Keep the updated and pictures coming
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 12:58 AM   #21
Ballzzz

look into your:
1. Cooling system
2. Sourcing a ZF auto or Manual
3. Window Actuators lol
4. Headliner Sag

They really are solid machines and if you get her running properly you will be rewarded with a great car
Old 17 January 2019, 02:15 AM   #22
djhiram
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600 Sea Dweller

Here is my former Grey 2001 323ci. I loved that car, lots of fun to drive but was expensive when it came to maintenance - mainly labor. You should save yourself a rpetty penny doing the work yourself and as mentioned be rewarded with a great car. When I sold mine back in 2013, it ran well. The main issue was the dreaded A/C evaporator issues the e46 is known for. Replacing it means taking the entire dash apart practically. The part if I remember correctly was only about $200 but labor was close to $1800.

I considered getting brave and doing it myself, but was way out of my comfort zone. At that time, the car was worth maybe $4k so I just decided to part with it rather than pumping more money into it and waiting for the next issue to show its face.

Apart from having the evaporator issue twice over my ownership, I also had a problem with the DSC. Most places I took it said it was just a bad DSC sensor that was about $1500 at that time. I liked how the car accelerated harder without it so I left it as is

The headliner is an issue as is the decorative interior trim around the doors. It kept coming unglued and finally ticked me off enough that I just removed it.

Enjoy - it is definitely a fun car to drive. Post pictures from time to time. I would love to see it. Any interior shots?

- Charriol Columbus Chrono M.O.P Dial
- Handfull of G-Shocks
- Rolex Bluesy
Co-Founder of the Brothers of the Leaf Society
djhiram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 09:15 AM   #23
Ballzzz

Great Daily Driver

ZHP’s are great too - if it was manual non cv I would have kept it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 January 2019, 10:03 AM   #24
andromeda160
Banned

Spent some time cleaning everything up today, still a work in progress, but she’s starting to clean up. Haven’t moved it, will probably take it to the car wash once I get the parts in. Can’t decide if I want to replace the whole valve body, or just the TCC sensor, pan, gaskets and filter. I have the GM trans so I don’t think I have the same problem as the ZF. She was built in 12/99 and is “Hell Red”. Kind of laughed when I saw Hellrot on the tag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E6783980-EFB0-49E9-AB82-575A9BA47371.jpeg (292.1 KB, 897 views)
File Type: jpeg 0FAE8835-5796-4979-BC59-60FC188BC601.jpeg (248.2 KB, 893 views)
File Type: jpeg F46B963E-82CE-47FD-A432-6CC79C2611DA.jpeg (272.9 KB, 893 views)
Old 17 January 2019, 10:04 AM   #25
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Nice car ! Congratulations on the pickup.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 10:09 AM   #26
andromeda160
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda_Eating_Pizza View Post
Congrats on the "new" acquisition Since you're doing the work yourself, you're already saving a bunch. Keep us updated with your progress!

I had an OBD-I E36 M3 that I bought used, was sort of a love/hate thing lol. Easy to work on, which is a good thing, considering all the little irritating problems. To the amazement (more like disbelief) of the local independent BMW mechanic, I even rebuilt the ABS hydro unit. Even did the same for another Bimmerphile, bartered the labor for a few cases of beer.
I have been looking for an OBD1 E36 coupe ever since I passed on a black one when I was 18. Tan great but was salvaged. Eventually I’ll buy one as I think that it’s the greatest 3 series ever to be built. But this one is so sexy, love the lines and the interior is to die for.

As for having a BMW over a vette. I had a Sebring silver 96 with targa top and it was a pain in the ass to do anything, could hardly fit a jack underneath. I didn’t damage the body in the crash but bent a bunch of crap underneath. Was horrible to get in and out of even at my young age, felt like you were sitting on the road, and everyone always wanted to race lol. I was just grateful I didn’t die when I crashed it. Turned traction control off on a slightly damp day and launched it off the highway going around 70
Old 17 January 2019, 10:11 AM   #27
andromeda160
Banned

Love all the pics, seems like the E46 is a hit on the forums. I don’t see them too much out here.
Old 17 January 2019, 11:07 PM   #28
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Love those wheels.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 11:32 PM   #29
nick c
Banned

My favorite Bmw E46
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 05:06 AM   #30
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
She was built in 12/99 and is “Hell Red”. Kind of laughed when I saw Hellrot on the tag.
"Hell" means Bright in German.