The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 January 2019, 11:04 AM   #1
chester1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750, 16610
Ginault Ocean Rover - Sub 16610 Comparison

Ginault Ocean Rover 1810070LSILN Comparison with 16610 Rolex submariner

First of all, this is an unpaid review. The Ocean Rover was purchased last April with only the advertised discount at that time. The purchase was based on reviews I had seen from others on this Forum and others.

The opinions expressed are solely my own, based on collecting various watches over the years from brands such as Seiko, Bulova, Omega, Rolex, etc. The following reflects my own experience and as they used to say in the old auto ads, “your mileage may vary”.

Having owned a Rolex 16750 GMT since purchasing new in 1986, and being gifted a new Rolex 16610 Submariner by my wife in 2009 I’ve always loved the 40mm classic aluminum bezeled Rolex’s. As far as the sub goes I often thought that the “ideal” sub would consist of the 5 digit case, with a “maxi” dial, a yacht master red second hand, and a glide lock clasp. Of course that doesn’t exist and while modding a Seiko is fun, that’s something I definitely would not do to a Rolex.

So, enter the Ginault Ocean Rover. In many ways, it addresses a market niche that currently Rolex doesn’t provide namely a quality 5-digit sub diver with some unique twists.

In comparing the Ocean-Rover 181070LSILN (No Date, Maxi Indices with BGW9 Lume, Black Bezel/Silver Index) with my 16610 V-series submariner from 2009 here are my thoughts:

Hits:
- Case finishing: brushed, polished, and chamfering done impeccably as is Rolex
- Bracelet integration: extremely precise (bracelet will also fit 5 digit Rolex? see below)
- Bracelet: well made although brushing not as fine as Rolex upon close (20X mag) inspection)
- Clasp: well made although not as smooth as Rolex Glidelock (can be alleviated with lubricant). Superior compared to “tuna can” clasp standard on 5 digit sub.
- Dial: Surprisingly luxurious deep black enamel with applied indices with BGW9 lume. Maxi indices balance out the dial IMHO better than the small indices on the Rolex. Printing, clear and crisp on both (without getting into the “content”)
- Hands: initially was put off by the use of a sword hour hand vs. mercedes but have become used to the legibility and personality of a different hand set. I do prefer the splash of color the red second hand adds to the black dial.
- Bezel: In comparing the bezel action on both the Rolex and Ginault, I can’t find any discernible difference between the two. Both are as stable, easy to use, and exhibit minimal back play.
- Crown Action: Both offer good grip and smooth stable action. The Ginault like other non-dates using the ETA-2824 based movement does have a “ghost” 2nd position.
- Accuracy: The Ginault and Rolex both are used in regular rotation. Experience has been both perform at approx +2 sec/day.
- Lume: The lume on both are great, lasting well into the night. The Ginault is perhaps a bit brighter likely due to the larger area of the maxi plots.

Misses:
- Dial: “Hand built in America” is proudly displayed below the six o’clock index. While I applaud Ginault for the American content, a smaller font might have been better allowing for half indices for the 27-29 and 31-33 minutes to be shown. Makes accurate setting a bit easier.
- Clasp: Although the safety clasp does have an indent, perhaps the inclusion of an overlapping Ginault logo would make opening easier similar to Rolex’s placement of their crown.

Other Thoughts:
- Precious metals: Rolex does use white gold for the indices and hand set. Not sure what Ginault uses (Rhodium?, Steel?) but in terms of price point of this is to be expected.
- Packaging/presentation: Personally I find Rolex packaging lacking considering the price of their watch. Compared to the recent switch that Omega has made or even micro brands like Monta, the Rolex green box is just slightly above below-average. The presentation box with the Ginault including the warranty, movement timing sheet, tool, etc is more than commensurate with the price paid.
- There has been a lot of discussion of the past few years on the movement. I prefer to take Ginault at their word regarding what is machined in the U.S. and what isn’t. They have been open about what parts do come from China (shock absorber, jewels), Switzerland (main/hair springs), Asia (bracelet). At the end of the day will it live up to the claim of being a reliable well-built time piece? So far over the last 9 months I have no complaints.
- If you already own a 5 or 6 digit Submariner with the date feature, the Ginault is an affordable way of complementing your collection with the more symmetrical non-date 14060 look.

As an “homage” or just on it’s own, the Ginault Ocean Rover is a quality watch for a good price. If and when Ginault designs an original product with the same attention to detail at the same price point, no doubt reviewers will be heralding a product that “punches above its weight”.

Finally, a couple of comments that have been made about my Ocean Rover:
- Last summer while perusing the selection of wares at my local Rolex/Omega/IWC/Breitling/Tudor/Tag etc. AD, my sales rep comments on the “nice watch”. He thought I was wearing the Rolex!
- When choosing what watch to wear, I asked the wife, holding up the Rolex and Ginault from approx 3 feet away. Without hesitation she pointed at the Ginault (keep in mind she assesses by looks alone)

Thanks
Doug

Postscript:
Just for the fun of I got out the dual-armed spring bar tool and did some bracelet/strap swapping:

1. Here’s the Ginault bracelet on the sub. Perfect fit! Goes to the attention to detail that Ginault makes in their product dimensions.

2. Here’s the Ginault on an Everest Rubber strap I purchased for my sub. Again, perfect fit.

3. The Ginault again on a black leather strap that I took off a Monta Skyquest. Perfect fit.

4. The added benefit of the Ginault is you have the same access to after market straps as you do with your 5 digit subs!
chester1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 01:26 AM   #2
thewheel82
"TRF" Member

Awesome write up!
thewheel82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 03:32 AM   #3
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

I wear my smurfy Ginault OR on a vintage inspired Bulang and Sons Piombo Gray leather strap. Accuracy far exceeds even my other watches costing 10x more than the OR. Worn daily I see 0-1s/d accuracy.
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 02:13 AM   #4
jason10mm
"TRF" Member

So the ginault bracelet is a SEL? Any way you could see if just the clasp can be swapped out on an oyster? I have a 14060 and a 16570 and it would be nice to have a microadjustable clasp (though I imagine the ginault bracelet would fit a 16570 if it fits a 16610 as well).
jason10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 09:47 AM   #5
SOG DIVER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680Red-551214060M
Ginault makes a tough watch.

As a holed-lug 16610 Rolex owner with a backup 14060M-I opted for one of the newer Steinhart Ocean Thirty Nines with Explorer dial. The ETA 2824-2 Swiss movement is a known work horse.
The Steinhart is a tough value watch with a Swiss movement, and looks exactly like a Rolex 5513 with Explorer dial-(which Rolex made in the 1960s).
Good backup watch to accidently leave in a Phillipine bar or Iranian hotel-even
to trade out of a Mexican close call....
SOG DIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 04:55 AM   #6
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Got this one last feb when I went to NYC. My watchmaker replaced the red hand with a silver seconds hand (Breitling) when I got home. Runs -2/day. Glidelock works great too. My first homage and first mod. Won't do it again but for a 1k watch this little bastard is fantastic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (139.3 KB, 326 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (130.7 KB, 325 views)
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote