The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 18 August 2018, 02:08 AM   #31
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debner4 View Post
Los Angeles Boutique is around 35 person wait list right now, which is probably at least a 1.5 year wait....
I believe there is a new process, and the waitlists are essentially useless.

Basically, the new process is to fill out a form, which gets sent to Switzerland for approval and an allotment. A part of this form includes a section asking if you currently own any FPJ watches, and to state your case as to why you deserve the CB. Presumably, they are giving preference to people who own Journe watches already.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 02:47 AM   #32
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Wow, this is why I deserve to spend $23K! I do understand giving preference to Journe collectors, but at my age, I am not buying green bananas and I am not participating with watches in which the wait is more than a year.

Have given up on Daytona C, new Pepsi. I buy one or two good watches a year, not keeping any ADs afloat. But would love a Journe Bleu. May or may not happen, but I admire them, like Langes and APs.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 02:59 AM   #33
Skyrider01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
I believe there is a new process, and the waitlists are essentially useless.

Basically, the new process is to fill out a form, which gets sent to Switzerland for approval and an allotment. A part of this form includes a section asking if you currently own any FPJ watches, and to state your case as to why you deserve the CB. Presumably, they are giving preference to people who own Journe watches already.
You are correct about the form. They are calling it an application. My AD had me fill one out although I had already been on the list for a few months when they came out with the form.

He told me the application was not to determine who gets one, but due to the high demand, they want to have a more accurate idea of how many people are serious about purchasing one.

I was not a previous FPJ owner and it did not affect my place on the list.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 03:08 AM   #34
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
You are correct about the form. They are calling it an application. My AD had me fill one out although I had already been on the list for a few months when they came out with the form.

He told me the application was not to determine who gets one, but due to the high demand, they want to have a more accurate idea of how many people are serious about purchasing one.

I was not a previous FPJ owner and it did not affect my place on the list.
Interesting. I am in the same position as you, except at the NYC boutique. I was on the waitlist, then found out about the application, which they had me fill out. However, I was told that it would affect the distribution (i.e. giving preference to people with FBJ watches in their collections). To me, it makes sense. Why ask that question otherwise?

Maybe I misheard or the salesman was wrong. I'm going to try and follow-up to clarify.

Old 18 August 2018, 03:19 AM   #35
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

I also recently ran into a prominent private collector in the NYC area. I had no idea who this guy was, but apparently he's very well known by the high-end boutiques in the NYC area. Anyway, I saw a FPJ UTC on his wrist and we got to talking. Apparently he owns several high-end watches (including several big-time FPJs). I mentioned his first name at the FPJ boutique (a common name at that) and they instantly knew who I was talking about.

The reason I'm telling this story is because he had told me that he's recently acquired the CB for himself and some friends...no waitlist. He told me that the waitlists are useless and people like him cut infront of the line regularly.

So, my point is, I wouldn't believe the quoted waitlist number. Or the fact that owning FPJ watches plays no part in the allocations.

Just my thoughts though.

Old 18 August 2018, 03:57 AM   #36
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Speedmaster thanks for your insights

Cannot blame Journe for favoring loyal repeat customer. I understand that my go to AD has bigger fish who will get the Daytona C. Fortunately, there are enough obtainable watches to quench my thirst.
Old 18 August 2018, 04:30 AM   #37
City74
Banned

Watch: Speedy Reduced
One of the best blues in the business
City74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 05:39 AM   #38
oldcarz
"TRF" Member

Wonderful write up. You said everything, and more, about my favorite watch. I am aware of earlier posts when you were excitedly waiting for yours. Best of luck with your CB. Some pix of mine:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Watch1.jpg (272.3 KB, 635 views)
File Type: jpg Watch4.jpg (287.1 KB, 631 views)
oldcarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 06:14 AM   #39
Skyrider01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I also recently ran into a prominent private collector in the NYC area. I had no idea who this guy was, but apparently he's very well known by the high-end boutiques in the NYC area. Anyway, I saw a FPJ UTC on his wrist and we got to talking. Apparently he owns several high-end watches (including several big-time FPJs). I mentioned his first name at the FPJ boutique (a common name at that) and they instantly knew who I was talking about.

The reason I'm telling this story is because he had told me that he's recently acquired the CB for himself and some friends...no waitlist. He told me that the waitlists are useless and people like him cut infront of the line regularly.

So, my point is, I wouldn't believe the quoted waitlist number. Or the fact that owning FPJ watches plays no part in the allocations.

Just my thoughts though.
I completely agree with this. It is common knowledge that repeat, big spenders get priority and skip over waiting lists. For the rest of us, we get on the list and wait, hoping that not too many people "cut in" in front of us.

In my opinion, it is easier for a non repeat customer on an FPJ list to acquire a piece than if you were on a Rolex, AP or Patek list. This would be because the demand for a piece such as a Daytona C, Royal Oak or Nautilus is much greater than for a CB, and there are a lot more people who already have done business with those manufactures than there are people who have multiple FPJs. Although production of the aforementioned pieces is greater than that of the CB, there are a lot more people trying to acquire them than there are for a CB.

I have been told by several Rolex ADs that yes, we can put you on the waiting list but we give priority to our "million dollar customers", or "loyal customers", or whatever term they choose to use. When trying to get on the list for the Daytona C, 3 of the last 4 ADs I went to told me it's a loyalty piece. In other words, spend lots of money here and we'll get you one.

So yes, lists can be meaningless. But hopefully,one can get a ballpark figure of what to expect and the likelihood of getting a particular piece.
Old 18 August 2018, 06:26 AM   #40
Skyrider01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Interesting. I am in the same position as you, except at the NYC boutique. I was on the waitlist, then found out about the application, which they had me fill out. However, I was told that it would affect the distribution (i.e. giving preference to people with FBJ watches in their collections). To me, it makes sense. Why ask that question otherwise?

Maybe I misheard or the salesman was wrong. I'm going to try and follow-up to clarify.
I just got confirmation that some of the boutiques have put that policy in place (priority to previous owners). The NY boutique being one of them.
Old 18 August 2018, 06:26 AM   #41
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In my opinion, it is easier for a non repeat customer on an FPJ list to acquire a piece than if you were on a Rolex, AP or Patek list.
100% agree. Although he is gaining popularity, FPJ is not even remotely mainstream. Also, there are very few of us out there that not only know of obscure independents, but wear and buy watches because we enjoy horology.

The vast majority of people buying Rolex, PP and AP do so because they are well known luxury brands. Brands that will give them the dopamine hit of family/friends/strangers drooling over their watch. Most people won't drool over a FPJ, mostly because they would have no idea what it is.

Old 18 August 2018, 06:28 AM   #42
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I just got confirmation that some of the boutiques have put that policy in place (priority to previous owners). The NY boutique being one of them.
Ah, the pleasures of living in this area.
Maybe I can get on the Miami list.

Old 18 August 2018, 06:41 AM   #43
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Just called the Miami boutique. Apparently you can only put your name on the list of one boutique. So, I guess I'm stuck with NYC.

Old 18 August 2018, 06:41 AM   #44
Skyrider01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ah, the pleasures of living in this area.
Maybe I can get on the Boca list.
No more boutique in Boca, that closed a while ago. The Miami boutique was in Bal Harbour, but they are in the process of moving to Brickell (Miami).
Of the 3 US boutiques, it has the shortest list. I was told around 25 as of 2 weeks ago. Also, they have not put in place the policy we previously discussed.
Old 18 August 2018, 06:44 AM   #45
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No more boutique in Boca, that closed a while ago. The Miami boutique was in Bal Harbour, but they are in the process of moving to Brickell (Miami).
Of the 3 US boutiques, it has the shortest list. I was told around 25 as of 2 weeks ago. Also, they have not put in place the policy we previously discussed.
Yea, just realized my mistake. Didn't realize they moved around so much. The guy in Miami told me they now have over 30 (3 year waitlist). So it's increasingly rapidly it seems.

Old 18 August 2018, 06:45 AM   #46
Skyrider01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just called the Miami boutique. Apparently you can only put your name on the list of one boutique. So, I guess I'm stuck with NYC.
I was typing my last post as you were posting this. Too bad about you not being able to get on the Miami list. Depending on how far up you are in NY, might be worth looking into switching from that list to the Miami one if that's an option.
Old 18 August 2018, 06:52 AM   #47
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was typing my last post as you were posting this. Too bad about you not being able to get on the Miami list. Depending on how far up you are in NY, might be worth looking into switching from that list to the Miami one if that's an option.
Unfortunately, I think it would be about the same. I was quoted 2-3 years from nyc. Although id be further back, NYC gets more allocation (according to the miami boutique guy).
Ah well, I'll resort to drooling at pics for 2-3 years and go after option #2, a Moser center seconds.

Old 18 August 2018, 07:56 AM   #48
Skyrider01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, I think it would be about the same. I was quoted 2-3 years from nyc. Although id be further back, NYC gets more allocation (according to the miami boutique guy).
Ah well, I'll resort to drooling at pics for 2-3 years and go after option #2, a Moser center seconds.

I love those Moser dials too! Hope to get one some day down the road.

Hang in there for the CB. I was #10 when I got on the list in January and was told I might get one around October. I got it in July. Yes, the lists are longer now, but there are always people who pass when their number comes up.
Old 18 August 2018, 08:11 AM   #49
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I love those Moser dials too! Hope to get one some day down the road.

Hang in there for the CB. I was #10 when I got on the list in January and was told I might get one around October. I got it in July. Yes, the lists are longer now, but there are always people who pass when their number comes up.
Definitely going to hang in for the CB. Can't wait to finally get my call.
I've had my eyes on the Moser funky blue dial for quite some time. The cosmic green is also amazing.

It's funny, I think the more Ive gotten into horology, the more I find myself loving independents. I really don't lust after any mainstream watch anymore.

Old 18 August 2018, 10:14 AM   #50
eviperman
"TRF" Member

Just sharing my 2 cents...

I'm a big FPJ collector and thought I'd share some insight about how CB waiting lists work as there is incorrect information above...

First thing to understand is that these waiting lists are NOT local. Essentially, there is only ONE list. If you go and sign up at multiple boutiques it does not increase your chances of securing a CB. Each boutique submits their list to Geneva so that Geneva has ONE global list (and they scrub multiple instances of the same name - this is so FPJ actually has an accurate understanding of the TRUE demand). If you're #42 in NYC and #12 in LA, it means nothing... essentially, your name will be on the ONE list in position X, and your position is determined by the date you registered to be on the list (and yes, you can jump the queue a bit by being an existing client). FPJ then sends out the finished CB watches according to this one global list (or thereabouts).

Personally speaking, FPJ should favour his existing clients, and yes, the wait lists are definitely shorter. Don't forget, an existing client is decent proof to FP that you're not a flipper... he'd prefer to sell to those who will appreciate the CB versus those who will flip it right away (I'm sure many on the global list are flippers).

The good news is that if you're patient you WILL get a CB... can't say the same about a PP 5711 or Rolex Daytona. And personally, FPJ is far superior so hang in there as the wait will be well worth it!
eviperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 10:30 AM   #51
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the encouragement! I asked to be put on a Daytona C waiting list at an AD where I’ve bought quite a few watches. But far from a heavy hitter, more of an annual event.

Do not think a Daytona will happen in my lifetime. Sounds like a Journe could happen. . I wear the watches, not an arbitrageur.
Old 18 August 2018, 11:11 AM   #52
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviperman View Post
Just sharing my 2 cents...

I'm a big FPJ collector and thought I'd share some insight about how CB waiting lists work as there is incorrect information above...

First thing to understand is that these waiting lists are NOT local. Essentially, there is only ONE list. If you go and sign up at multiple boutiques it does not increase your chances of securing a CB. Each boutique submits their list to Geneva so that Geneva has ONE global list (and they scrub multiple instances of the same name - this is so FPJ actually has an accurate understanding of the TRUE demand). If you're #42 in NYC and #12 in LA, it means nothing... essentially, your name will be on the ONE list in position X, and your position is determined by the date you registered to be on the list (and yes, you can jump the queue a bit by being an existing client). FPJ then sends out the finished CB watches according to this one global list (or thereabouts).

Personally speaking, FPJ should favour his existing clients, and yes, the wait lists are definitely shorter. Don't forget, an existing client is decent proof to FP that you're not a flipper... he'd prefer to sell to those who will appreciate the CB versus those who will flip it right away (I'm sure many on the global list are flippers).

The good news is that if you're patient you WILL get a CB... can't say the same about a PP 5711 or Rolex Daytona. And personally, FPJ is far superior so hang in there as the wait will be well worth it!
Interesting. Thanks for the insight. I actually like the one list idea, it helps alleviate living in areas like nyc with massive lists.

I also agree with giving preference to current FPJ owners. Hopefully I’ll be one someday in the near future.

Old 18 August 2018, 01:58 PM   #53
DGB
"TRF" Member

I got the CB few weeks back, never purchased a Journe before, the Boutique people did not know me.
The watch was available immediately, I got it like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 05:22 PM   #54
debner4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGB View Post
I got the CB few weeks back, never purchased a Journe before, the Boutique people did not know me.
The watch was available immediately, I got it like this.

Still not sure how that all went down, but nice to be in right place at right time for you...

How you liking it?
debner4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 08:58 PM   #55
DGB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debner4 View Post
Still not sure how that all went down, but nice to be in right place at right time for you...

How you liking it?

I did ask the Boutique director if there was a list for the CB and how come I managed to get it, he replied that the original buyer did not want it anymore and I came at the right moment.

Lovely watch, I wear it quite often but not 24/7.
Love the craftsmanship, the level of detail is really above average for its category, I can’t stop looking at the dial and how it reflects light. Journe says 56 hours reserves, I notice circa 68 hours fully wound.
Accuracy: +3 second/day , the man said +/- 2sec.
Some critics:
I would have loved a hacking system (stop seconds) and lume.
At the Boutique they replied Mister Journe did not want to add a stop second to the caliber 1304.
And adding lume would thicken the hands which is the one of the brand features, so no go.

Over all, no regrets, this one is a keeper.
I am looking for 3 blue dial watches to have in my collection, the CB, a 15202 and a 3rd one (ideally a 5711) but the latter is a hard to get from the Boutique, so not sure which one the third watch will be.
A topic to discuss with the TRF falks once the 15202 in my possession.
Cheers.

DGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 06:26 AM   #56
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Do pre-owned Journes make it to the marketplace? Does the price go down at all? Just day dreaming a bit!
Old 20 August 2018, 06:48 AM   #57
Skyrider01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Do pre-owned Journes make it to the marketplace? Does the price go down at all? Just day dreaming a bit!
Yes, but not too many. As far as price going down, it depends on the model. The few CBs you will find online are listed for around $7000 over retail.
Old 21 August 2018, 01:22 PM   #58
debner4
"TRF" Member

Thought I’d add some winding info:

10 winds = 7.5 hours
20 winds = 17 hours
98 winds = 68+ hours (full wind)

17 winds = number of winds needed to get back to full winding after 12 hours since last full wind.

Note: My “winds” are about 35% - 40% of a full turn of the crown.
Old 9 September 2018, 10:40 AM   #59
debner4
"TRF" Member

After a few weeks of ownership. Love the watch more than ever!

Old 17 October 2018, 04:11 PM   #60
appa666
"TRF" Member

Congratulations.
It makes me feel better after reading all your comments, at least it is a 'real list' instead of a "buy more so we get you one" list for FPJ.
I was blessed to see a CB in person recently (of course I didnt have chance to buy it) and it was gorgeous. Funny thing is my 5164a just came in last week along with some lucky guy's 5711 blue, so I had enough memories to compare the movements (went with my 15202)
Overall, comparing movement's finishing itself CB>5711>15202. AP and PP are both great but FPJ is just at another level.
Hopefully I will get some unexpected good news from FPJ boutique soon and lets do a comparison side by side.
appa666 is offline   Reply With Quote