The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 9 May 2017, 05:32 AM   #31
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfav View Post
I suspect personal taste and both wrist shape and watch shape play a part. I too have a 6.75" wrist and the 41mm 15400 looked just goofy on my wrist. The 39 mm 15300 and jumbo were fine and about as large as I could go (yet I have no problem pulling off a 40 mm Sea Dweller). So when it came time for me to buy it was either a used 15300 or a new 15450. I wanted a new AP and went with the 15450. Could care less about resale, if I was that concerned with economics I would not be buying an AP at all.

Token74 - your AP (actually both watches) look great on your wrist. Good choice.
15202 next time
jem7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 06:07 AM   #32
Billfav
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7v View Post
15202 next time
Actually I struggled with that one, as I would really like to have had one close to the original, but I could not get past the non quick-set date and no second hand, plus the additional $$$.
Billfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 12:46 PM   #33
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
The pair is just beautiful! Congrats again!

I don't understand why people fuss about watch sizes and the resale value correlating to that. When you reach the ability to buy an AP or luxury good especially something modern luxury why worry about resale when your purpose is to enjoy it. Chances are the moment you walk out the door it's worth a bit less already. And frankly wrist size is a trend. Something deemed "small" right now may be perfect later.

Cheers!
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 01:55 PM   #34
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
The pair is just beautiful! Congrats again!

I don't understand why people fuss about watch sizes and the resale value correlating to that. When you reach the ability to buy an AP or luxury good especially something modern luxury why worry about resale when your purpose is to enjoy it. Chances are the moment you walk out the door it's worth a bit less already. And frankly wrist size is a trend. Something deemed "small" right now may be perfect later.

Cheers!
Most people get bored and want to change up often. Very few buy a watch and keep it forever now a days. Especially a young person.
Old 9 May 2017, 02:35 PM   #35
Xerxes77
Banned

in this case AP
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 08:55 PM   #36
selpo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Beautiful combo! Both look great on your wrist with the edge going to 15450, Congratulations and enjoy both in the best of health!
selpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2017, 10:59 PM   #37
CaputMortuum
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7v View Post
My wrist is 6.75. I wouldn't go lower at all below 39mm. Below that is women watch sizes honestly IMO. If you are a 6.5, I probably would have went with the 39mm if you really thought the 41mm was too big. If you can pull off a 40mm rolex, you can pull off a 41mm or 39mm RO.

Also I think the 37mm won't have great resale given majority of men won't buy them. The watches themselves look great though no matter the size. AP finishing is king.
By the way, SS Daytona is 38,6 mm.

If you really think about it, we shouldn't be buying these mechanical watches at all. Have you ever thought how much that money would be in 30 years, if invested wisely today.
A watch is never an investment, at least in monetary terms, so relax and always buy what you really like, not what you think the next owner would like.
CaputMortuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2017, 12:37 AM   #38
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
The white looks great - congrats!
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2017, 02:26 AM   #39
Rooster84
"TRF" Member

Looks great. I recently debated over the new ceramic bezel Daytona and the 15400 AP. I ended up going with the AP 15400 in white and am obsessed with it. A bit more unique than the Daytona as well.

The AP does scratch quite easily as I've only had for a few months and worn about 10 times...have two very small scratches that I noticed, but don't recall hitting it against anything. However, it's meant to enjoy not be a safe queen...
Rooster84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2017, 04:18 AM   #40
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaputMortuum View Post

If you really think about it, we shouldn't be buying these mechanical watches at all. Have you ever thought how much that money would be in 30 years, if invested wisely today.
A watch is never an investment, at least in monetary terms, so relax and always buy what you really like, not what you think the next owner would like.
Maybe investment is a bad way to think about it. I look at them as something nice, but also if you buy it right, it's a minimally depreciating asset that you can enjoy on a day to day business, and it's almost acts as a savings account/store of value.

Vs getting something like a hublot brand new or even with 10% off and losing like 15k instantaneously. That's just wasteful.

Daytona is 38.6mm? On their website it says 40mm. Seemed like a 40mm when I try on in the store. To me it felt larger than the 15202.
Old 10 May 2017, 07:45 AM   #41
Superburrito
"TRF" Member

Watch: 26420RO
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaputMortuum View Post

Very true, but any time my portfolio takes a big hit, I think "I could have bought a watch (or car) and at least I would have something to show for it!"

I think watches are a pretty cool and unique asset (if you want to call it that) because you can carry them with you and enjoy them all day long...much more so than a car or especially a bunch of numbers in a bank or investment account.

I know way, way too many people who have kicked the bucket much too early - so enjoy life every day, however you see fit!
Superburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2017, 08:50 AM   #42
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
These watches are functional pieces of art to me and if they hold most of their value that's a lovely ancillary bonus. More so for me as I don't carry my mobile around with me all the time.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 04:24 PM   #43
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
My wife has the white Daytona C and I have a blue 15300. Both nice but the AP has a clear edge for me, has a better quality feel than the Rolex IMO

How does she find it? I'm currently doing a deal on the white dial ceramic for my wife but I'm trading her non ceramic black dial to do it.

My only very slight concern it that the new white dial may attract unwanted attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 08:56 PM   #44
CaputMortuum
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superburrito View Post
Very true, but any time my portfolio takes a big hit, I think "I could have bought a watch (or car) and at least I would have something to show for it!"

I think watches are a pretty cool and unique asset (if you want to call it that) because you can carry them with you and enjoy them all day long...much more so than a car or especially a bunch of numbers in a bank or investment account.

I know way, way too many people who have kicked the bucket much too early - so enjoy life every day, however you see fit!

Wise words, my man, wise words.

caput
CaputMortuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 10:42 PM   #45
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
That 15450 looks incredible

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 11:18 PM   #46
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superburrito View Post
I do the same thing.
Old 20 June 2017, 10:21 AM   #47
Foxman2k
"TRF" Member

Looks awesome man. Love my 15400.

Foxman2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 02:51 AM   #48
Xerxes77
Banned

In this case AP
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 02:56 AM   #49
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Incoming: Royal Oak vs Daytona

Both at Awesome!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 02:59 AM   #50
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
In this case AP.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 04:03 AM   #51
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

the AP looks great and fits perfect.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 04:08 AM   #52
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
both look amazing! Congrats. I have a similar taste :)
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 10:31 AM   #53
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

Nice pick up. Fit is perfect on you too!