The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 June 2017, 06:00 AM   #1
SeikoHOMAGE
"TRF" Member

Your opinion on this 1601? (DJ)

Hey fellas, new to the forums, first post actually.

I'm moving in towards my first Rolex. My budget was $2,850 US initially but I stumbled upon a very special 1601.

This one is mint, comes with the box. It was serviced a few weeks ago and I'm getting the store's one year warranty. Their price is $3,120.
I'm thinking I should take it because of the dial, I've never seen one like it.
Would you consider it rare?

And I would also like to ask, does everything seem kosher? Could the magnification be a little too small? And is the dial at all questionable?

I appreciate your help guys, this is important to me. All thanks.
SeikoHOMAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2017, 12:11 PM   #2
U5512
"TRF" Member

It's charcoal dial and I have one. The dial looks original to me, and to me it's NOT RARE at all. An original 1601 BLACK dial is HARDER to find!!!

$3120 is a LOT of MONEY for a 1601, and I wouldn't buy it if it's my money.
It is a known issue that all of the SubC and GMTIIC's movement have reliability issues. Something to do with a spring that was introduced. I expect this to further increase the value of older Submariners and GMTIIs.
Heck why can't I start my own internet rumor and raise the prices of MY WATCHES!!!!
U5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2017, 01:31 PM   #3
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Nice 16XX DJs are getting hard to find. Prices are rising for the cream of the crop. A 16XX full kit went for 6200 at a recent Philips auction, an astounding price. Is that worth 3120? It is if it's worth it to you.

It's beautiful, fresh service and a warranty. Who was it who said price is soon forgotten but quality never is. You'll see prices all over the map, unserviced, worn cases, corrosion, no bracelet, yada yada.

People will send you off to look some more but will it be better? At a lower price? Who the hell knows.

I would ask to see the case back off to check for corrosion in the gasket channel. For that price it better be pristine. If it's clean decide if you want it, it's your decision.

This is corrosion. If you see anything close to this move on. A few tiny spots OK, best is none.

Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2017, 08:29 PM   #4
SeikoHOMAGE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by U5512 View Post
It's charcoal dial and I have one. The dial looks original to me, and to me it's NOT RARE at all. An original 1601 BLACK dial is HARDER to find!!!

$3120 is a LOT of MONEY for a 1601, and I wouldn't buy it if it's my money.

Thanks for your feedback buddy.
Someone pointed out the case has been over polished. I have also noticed the Rolex crown logo isn't perfectly aligned with the 12 marker. What do you think?
Old 17 June 2017, 08:31 PM   #5
SeikoHOMAGE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
Nice 16XX DJs are getting hard to find. Prices are rising for the cream of the crop. A 16XX full kit went for 6200 at a recent Philips auction, an astounding price. Is that worth 3120? It is if it's worth it to you.

It's beautiful, fresh service and a warranty. Who was it who said price is soon forgotten but quality never is. You'll see prices all over the map, unserviced, worn cases, corrosion, no bracelet, yada yada.

People will send you off to look some more but will it be better? At a lower price? Who the hell knows.

I would ask to see the case back off to check for corrosion in the gasket channel. For that price it better be pristine. If it's clean decide if you want it, it's your decision.

This is corrosion. If you see anything close to this move on. A few tiny spots OK, best is none.

You have a point, thanks for letting me know about the corrosion.
I wanted to ask you, do you think the case has been over polished?
And I have noticed the Rolex crown logo doesn't perfectly align with the 12 hour marker, what do you think?
Old 18 June 2017, 02:59 AM   #6
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Your case is quite nice. You can see there is still curvature (convex) on the side of the case, the more its polished the flatter it becomes like the corroded watch, curvature is long gone.

This watch is unpolished or as close to it as you'll find. As you can see the curve of the case side is pronounced. That curve is like a tire wear indicator for Rolex. :)

There hasn't been a 16XX produced in 40 years. Unlike a COMEX the dial is the least important part of a vintage DJ. The case, movement and bracelet are by far more important than the dial. ebay is loaded with 200 dollar original dials. Your dial may well be a repaint, I've never seen an original misaligned like that. It may also be distortion from the crystal. Don't lose a good watch over a repaint.

Best of luck, let us know what you do!
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2017, 03:27 AM   #7
motoikkyu
"TRF" Member

It's not a horrible example, but that seems like a lot of money, even considering the full set. Watch and bracelet are worth $1800 max. (I still see decent examples for $1600 sometimes). Since I don't buy extras, I'm not the right person to tell you what those add to the watch. I've even seen Thunderbird 1625s on jubilee sell for under $2400, similar vintage and movement.
Old 18 June 2017, 04:49 AM   #8
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
You can do better for the $$. Get box and papers, and get top quality. There's plenty out there in 1601, 1603 and don't forget the 5-digits with quickset and nonhacking movements. You might like that much better a newbie buyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2017, 06:42 PM   #9
ever
"TRF" Member

lot of money
ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 04:38 PM   #10
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoikkyu View Post
It's not a horrible example, but that seems like a lot of money, even considering the full set. Watch and bracelet are worth $1800 max. (I still see decent examples for $1600 sometimes). Since I don't buy extras, I'm not the right person to tell you what those add to the watch. I've even seen Thunderbird 1625s on jubilee sell for under $2400, similar vintage and movement.
Let me know next time you find a 1601 (complete watch) for $1600!
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 05:49 PM   #11
mui.richard
"TRF" Member

A grey pie-pan dial is not exactly rare...and that particular watch is definitely not "mint" by my book. You can tell even by the less than optimal photos that the case has been polished before and the lines on the fluted bezel lost that crispness from polishing.

I wouldn't pay the asking price for this particular piece.

a watch is meant to be worn
mui.richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 11:52 PM   #12
circles
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmartin View Post
let me know next time you find a 1601 (complete watch) for $1600!
+1
circles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 02:00 AM   #13
motoikkyu
"TRF" Member

Such skepticism, it all depends where you look. I bought a Wide-Boy TT 1601 at the last NAWCC for $1500, with correct (admittedly stretched) bracelet. There are any number of head-only available on 47th St. in that range: some have been tricked out with aftermarket diamond bezels but that's not a pricey fix. I know the markets are higher on the West Coast and in Chicago because there is less merchandise available. Around here, DateJusts can be a hard sell because there are many.
Old 23 June 2017, 09:52 AM   #14
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmartin View Post
Let me know next time you find a 1601 (complete watch) for $1600!
Dickson Tai sells them in that price range all the time on a bracelet. Complete watch but no papers. Even at that, papers may only add a few hundred. Watch his Facebook page for posts when he gets them in.