The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 17 November 2013, 05:12 PM   #31
DiverAsia
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16014 16610 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
233. Done.

You know how they say the answer to 9 out of 10 questions is, 'money'?

I am thinking the same think about the 233.
Wants to run the big machine
DiverAsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2013, 05:30 PM   #32
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Evan,

I looked at a lot of Pams before buying my 231.
They are discontinued but there are still some around.

A gold Pam is just what you need for your collection.

A nice Pam for casual wear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00868r.jpg (233.2 KB, 182 views)

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2013, 08:35 PM   #33
Explorertwo
"TRF" Member

Watch: White 'n Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Re the in house movement thing, if you think of how this came to be, it doesn't seem so important imho.... The short of it is, Eta stopped selling to panerai & others, forcing them to produce there own movements whether they were ready to or not... The reality is eta has a long & solid track record and they have many independent watchmakers who can service them at small business costs.

At this point, in house movements are all you can get, giving the eta versions a place in panerai history.

well known examples of this are the zenith daytona and panerai that used rolex movements.

Food for thought
x2
These ETA's are reliable workhorses, i'm very very happy with mine and looks wonderfull through the sapphire back. If i had to choose between 111 or 510 considering the premium.....easy 111!
And yes, hand winding is fun and strap changing even more!
Good luck!
Explorertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2013, 08:42 PM   #34
gmlomas
Banned

Watch: IWC, PAM, Rolex
I would go sandwich and in house. I am really happy with my 328, also love the GMT
gmlomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2013, 11:01 PM   #35
Preeble
"TRF" Member

While I agree that the 372 has become one of the collection standards (I have one), I would recommend getting a 44mm Luminor as your first panerai. Sandwich vs painted is a personal preference, but you really can't go wrong with either. While you can always get custom straps made, I have found that the 24mm straps (that fit 44mm Luminors) are typically cheaper in the used marketplace.

In my experience, I have also found the 44mm watches to wear easier every day as the better fit under my shirt sleeves. My first pam was an 88 - I love the watch and it doesn't scream DNA, but it is the watch that got me hooked in this crazy mess.

That being said, the watch that I would recommend is the 390; you can no longer buy it new, but there are plenty on the used market for $5500-$6000. I do not own the watch, but it is on my list.

Re the 231 that someone else posted - it is a great value watch as they are inexpensive on the used market, but IMHO, they are not a good first pam (I also own one) for the simple reason that there are not many strap styles that can be used with that watch and changing straps is a lot of fun! My 88 has seen black, ammo, croc, rubber, green canvas and light brown straps and they all look great and give the watch a different look.

Lastly, did you go to the boutique yet? What caught your eye?
Preeble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2013, 05:46 AM   #36
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Got back from the city late last night. I visited Panerai, IWC, Wempe, and of course Rolex.

Rolex was packed as usual. I inquired about the GMTIIC BLNR. They said they had a several month wait list but they were able to go in the back and get one out of the safe for me to look at. I must say I was impressed with it in person. I was an initial hater but have grown to really like the piece. If I didn't feel the piece would be a little redundant in my collection I would consider getting it down the road.

Wempe had the usual fair. I liked that I could look at every brand under one roof. They did not have a BLNR on display but they did have the stainless Yachtmaster II. They seemed like they were doing a lot of business.

IWC kind of annoyed me. It looked more like a clothing store than a watch gallery. They had all their models there but they were really spread out. The whole "Top Gun" thing kind of annoys me. Not to sound crass but I was a Navy flight surgeon for three years. I flew SH-60s and numerous fixed wing aircraft. That kind of stuff doesn't impress me when a sales rep tries to link a German aviation watch with the American U.S. Navy. I do love IWC watches but I wish they didn't try so hard hanging all the helmets and G suits everywhere. No pilot I knew wore an IWC. Probably mostly editorial but my feelings none the less.

Finally Panerai. Small boutique but clearly there to sell watches. The 510 was really the one I am after. I also looked at the 337 while there. The Radiomir 1940 next to it was more for comparison for size. The 44mm wasn't as obnoxious as I thought and I am now also considering their pieces in the 45-47mm range. I still think the 510 is the one for me but I wasn't about to pay the price listed in the store. I do not know if they grant discounts and I didn't inquire but I am positive I could get a better deal on the forums. I am left kind of where I was before 111/183 versus 510/337. Still on the fence regarding the case I want to go with and whether I should go with an ETA or in house movement. I am still probably leaning towards the latter but the 2k price difference is significant as this is more a fun piece for me.

My salesman was wearing a Panerai PAM 24 Submersible which was also a very nice piece. I already own a dive watch so it is not for me at this point but I was overall very impressed with the quality of Panerai watches. The straps in particular were impressive... I am going to see how much damage I take over the holidays and make my purchase soon. Continued advice is always appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (100.2 KB, 170 views)
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2013, 08:45 AM   #37
timely

Watch: 3131 bubble back
for me it is the PAM 88 gmt.
timely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2013, 10:45 PM   #38
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
I would suggest Luminor,for me it's the true Panerai DNA, and 44mm, except if you have wrists for 47, after there are so many you need to see if you prefer the 1950 case, I have a 233 and 82 that I wear, very different watches but love them both...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2013, 10:50 PM   #39
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
About discounts, I don't know where you live but in France just forget it, I bought my 3 second hand but 100% unworn, I wouldn't buy in a shop, it's just too much...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 05:08 AM   #40
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

I'd still go for a pre-owned 111 over a new 510. I expect discounts on the 510 to be tough to come by at the moment. A 111 at around $4K is a pretty safe investment for when you (inevitably) decide to flip it for a more expensive PAM. I'm not a big believer in paying substantially more for an in house or 8 day movement for what to me is an entry-level PAM. The ETA movements Panerai uses tend to be pretty good & cheap to service.

Same argument for the 183, which would probably be my next PAM (already own a Luminor).
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2013, 12:39 AM   #41
KBM

Great thread. I am actually also flerting with the idea of getting my first pam, and have decided that a Luminor case is what I want ti begin with (those crown guards are so very Panerai). The models I am currently torn on are the 111, 510 and 422, which is interesting, as they match a lot of what is being discussed here. I appreciate the in house, 8 day mvt. In the 510, but really wish it had a PR indicator in the back, like the 422 (which "only" has a 3 day mvt.). I mean, come on! An 8 day without a PR?! Regardless, it still is a top contender for me. I'll probably end up deciding between the 510 and 422... this last one has a somewhat vintage vibe which really sets it apart from the others. Have you tried it on?!
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2013, 12:58 AM   #42
KBM

In case you haven't checked out the 422 yet, I just posted some pictures of it (my wrist is 6.75", btw):

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=325351
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2013, 01:35 AM   #43
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

The Panerai ETA movement out performs all my in house movements in accuracy and power reserve. They also don't seem to be sensitive to various resting positions. They are just rock solid. There will always be parts long after my kids inherited my collection. I can't say that about Rolex.

Old 30 November 2013, 05:01 PM   #44
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
In case you haven't checked out the 422 yet, I just posted some pictures of it (my wrist is 6.75", btw):

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=325351
I like the 422 quite a bit. I still haven't made my choice yet. I am waiting until after the holidays to see how much cash I have in my "slush" fund. I keep getting drawn back to the in house movement despite completely understanding the wisdom that the ETA is tried and true. I feel like if I am getting a Panerai, I want all the parts to be Panerai. Maybe that's just my OCD.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2013, 12:47 PM   #45
seadog
"TRF" Member

Love the photo of the new 44mm 8 day Luminor and the 47mm Rad. 1940.

I tried the Rad. 1940 S/S date on last week - NICE !

Not a traditional PAM i know and others may well snub it because of this. At 47mm it wears like a 44mm (perhaps this is because of the thin case ? )

A great price as well for a 47mm in house

Tough choice , good luck.
Old 3 December 2013, 11:11 AM   #46
Mastergreenhand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Starbucks
Tough decision. I know this feeling all too well. 111 is a great choice. Don't get caught up in the in-house vs eta stuff. You can use the money you saved buying a crap load of straps!

PS - I'm biased as I am getting a 111 tomorrow from our own DavidSW
Mastergreenhand is offline   Reply With Quote