The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 7 January 2022, 06:13 AM   #1
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
First impressions on the Forstner Contemporary Flat Link that arrived today

The handsome little white box with my new Contemporary Flat Link from Forstner arrived today, so I sized it and mounted it to my Speedmaster Professional.

Compared to the original Forstner Flat Link, this new Contemporary version is more robust throughout, including a milled clasp and a single-screw system for the removable links. I have the first-generation Forstner Flat Link, and my opinion is this new version is better.

Ordering was easy and delivery was quick. The bracelet arrived in perfect condition. A screwdriver and springbars were included. You should use the springbars (more on that below), and you should toss the screwdriver in the garbage (it doesn't fill the slot, and you probably have a better one already).

This time of year my wrist is ~6.75", and I ended up removing four links in total, three from the 6:00 side and one from the 12:00 side. With the micro-adjust set in the middle, this results in the slightly loose fit I like with my Speedmaster Pro. Each link is 1/4" in length, and the micro-adjust holes in the clasp look like they're 1/8" apart, so you'll definitely find the perfect fit.

Sizing this bracelet is 1000% easier than the first-generation Forstner Flat Link. Anyone who's done it knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Important: USE THE SPRINGBARS SUPPLIED BY FORSTNER. I tried mounting it with the Omega springbars from my Omega bracelet, and I thought I got slightly tighter tolerances between the case/end-link/bracelet that way, and then when I thought I was all done I noticed that the Omega springbars had not snapped completely into place, and the watch could easily have fallen from my wrist. I immediately reinstalled the endlinks using the springbars provided by Forstner, and they did snap into place properly and the tolerances are all perfectly acceptable with no discernible play in the endlinks. Use the bars provided by Forstner, and double-check that they have snapped into the lugs completely.

I find that this bracelet works much better for me than the first generation Forstner Flat Link did. It's a little thicker and heavier while retaining the vintage Omega vibe, and the clasp is a pretty big upgrade.

Thanks for reading!

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 08:46 AM   #2
Chrono_Man
"TRF" Member

It looks great! noticeably more robust and the clasp is a massive improvement over the old. It looks like it would rival what omega is producing as stock bracelets. Enjoy...
Chrono_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 09:59 AM   #3
vintage38
"TRF" Member

Looks like a perfect fit for the Speedmaster. After seeing your pics, I'm thinking of pulling the trigger. Does it taper down at the clasp from 20 mm to 18mm or 20mm to 16 mm ?
vintage38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 10:08 AM   #4
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage38 View Post
Looks like a perfect fit for the Speedmaster. After seeing your pics, I'm thinking of pulling the trigger. Does it taper down at the clasp from 20 mm to 18mm or 20mm to 16 mm ?
It tapers to 16mm at the clasp. I dig it a lot, and I recommend it. Just the right balance between feeling solid and robust but remaining compliant and comfy. It's also very easy to get the fit just the way you like.
Old 7 January 2022, 10:58 AM   #5
JoseR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, Omega AT
Looks good.
JoseR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 01:29 PM   #6
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Im in the minority here, the flat links to me eye look not integrated with the curves of the case and lugs. I like the watch, like the bracelet, but not both together. I actually preferred the 2020 and prior bracelet with the speedy.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 01:37 PM   #7
Maxtor
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
Looks fantastic.
Maxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 01:42 PM   #8
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my sig. ;)
Congrats! T4S
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Seiko SBGA125 SBDX001 SLA017 SLA025 SLA033
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Other Mühle Glashütte S.A.R. Flieger Chronoswiss Tora
Travelller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 01:44 PM   #9
Jster
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for a great review. Very thorough. It looks much better than the original version. I have the original version and I initially liked it but soon found the links to be too thin for my liking. It gave the bracelet a flimsy feel.
Jster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 03:03 PM   #10
JP(Canada)
"TRF" Member

Good stuff. I'm partial to the 1450, but this one has got my attention too now. Congrats and thanks for the pics and impressions, Tony.
Old 7 January 2022, 07:48 PM   #11
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Im in the minority here, the flat links to me eye look not integrated with the curves of the case and lugs. I like the watch, like the bracelet, but not both together. I actually preferred the 2020 and prior bracelet with the speedy.
Fair point. I also feel like the original bracelet is difficult to beat, and that's how I wore my Speedmaster Pro all summer this year.

Old 7 January 2022, 07:53 PM   #12
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP(Canada) View Post
Good stuff. I'm partial to the 1450, but this one has got my attention too now. Congrats and thanks for the pics and impressions, Tony.
Thanks JP. I've been eyeing the Forstner 1450, too. Knowing now that this clasp will bolt right onto the 1450 I think it's just a matter of time before I give one a try. Forstner has a pretty good game going here, offering neat bracelet options for practically calf-skin strap money.
Old 7 January 2022, 08:07 PM   #13
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Great review, thanks, it looks good!
Enjoy wearing, I;'m still undecided to order just the clasp or dive in completely :D
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 09:02 PM   #14
vintage38
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
It tapers to 16mm at the clasp. I dig it a lot, and I recommend it. Just the right balance between feeling solid and robust but remaining compliant and comfy. It's also very easy to get the fit just the way you like.
Thank you for the review and pics. I just pulled the trigger and ordered one. I was leaning toward the polished/brush, but after your great pics I went with the fully brushed. Definitely a more tool vibe which I was going for.
vintage38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 09:47 PM   #15
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Thank you for the review and your impressions. I also received mine the other day and have sized it and put it on my 1861 Speedmaster. This version does have a more significant wrist presence and the clasp is at another level. I have the original bracelet and the only think I miss is the expandable links which helps with fit when you do not want to adjust the clasp. According to the website this maybe an option in the future. Another great clasp from Forstner.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2022, 12:53 AM   #16
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Thank you for the review and your impressions. I also received mine the other day and have sized it and put it on my 1861 Speedmaster. This version does have a more significant wrist presence and the clasp is at another level. I have the original bracelet and the only think I miss is the expandable links which helps with fit when you do not want to adjust the clasp. According to the website this maybe an option in the future. Another great clasp from Forstner.
Cool. Yeah, I was lucky to have time yesterday to fiddle with adjustments until I found the perfect fit with the clasp centered and the size exactly the way I like. This morning I picked up my Speedmaster, slipped it onto my wrist, snapped the clasp closed, and realized all of that felt as perfect as a factory setup . Very pleased with this bracelet.
Old 8 January 2022, 12:59 AM   #17
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage38 View Post
Thank you for the review and pics. I just pulled the trigger and ordered one. I was leaning toward the polished/brush, but after your great pics I went with the fully brushed. Definitely a more tool vibe which I was going for.
Excellent. I also came close to ordering polished/brushed this time, but I really admire the satin finish and I feel like it works better with the Speedmaster Pro, while the polished outer links seem to work better with the polished lugs on the FOIS and other all-polished versions of the Speedmaster.

The satin finish on this bracelet still has a nice luster, with just enough reflection to have a luxurious shine as you roll your wrist over in the right light
Old 8 January 2022, 01:00 AM   #18
alllexandru

Quote:

This photo makes me to switch to original bracelet, didnt wear it for more than 1 year
Nice photo!
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2022, 12:10 AM   #19
B.F. Pigeon
"TRF" Member

This was the thread I needed! Great stuff, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B.F. Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2022, 03:21 AM   #20
JP(Canada)
"TRF" Member

Just ordered mine. I think I spent over a grand on straps and bracelets this holiday season...I need help....
Old 9 January 2022, 04:03 AM   #21
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP(Canada) View Post
Just ordered mine. I think I spent over a grand on straps and bracelets this holiday season...I need help....

Sounds oddly familiar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2022, 05:15 AM   #22
rossi46
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
The handsome little white box with my new Contemporary Flat Link from Forstner arrived today, so I sized it and mounted it to my Speedmaster Professional...

My only question is if the color of the stainless steel used on the Forstner is just a little "off" compared to the color of the stainless steel of the watch case? Maybe it's just the snow/white balance in that picture, but the bracelet stands out as being... different. Like, it's easy to tell that they weren't made at the same time by the same production process.

Or is your impression in real life different?
Old 9 January 2022, 06:14 AM   #23
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

Nice. But I still think the original bracelet from the 1861 is the winner.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2022, 07:49 AM   #24
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post
My only question is if the color of the stainless steel used on the Forstner is just a little "off" compared to the color of the stainless steel of the watch case? Maybe it's just the snow/white balance in that picture, but the bracelet stands out as being... different. Like, it's easy to tell that they weren't made at the same time by the same production process.

Ah, interesting observation. Right after reading this I went out on an errand and looked at the watch in daylight (or what passes for daylight this time of year around The Great Lakes). I don't get the sense the bracelet's steel itself is a different shade than the case. I would chalk it up to the satin finish on the bracelet, and I think you're correct that the lighting and exposure settings chosen by my iPhone exaggerate it.

It'll be interesting to hear what other members here think about this after they receive their bracelets.
Old 9 January 2022, 10:11 PM   #25
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post

Interesting observation. I see what you are saying and on my 1861 there is a slight difference. I think my 1861 has some real wear on it and the bracelet is new and that may account for some of it. Not a bother and I would think as I get some wear and time on the bracelet they will both have the patina of wear.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 04:07 AM   #26
ducatiti
Banned

I favor towards OEM bracelets. To me in ruins the timepiece like installing aftermarket wheels on a classic car. I would rather have the Apollo 11 bracelet. If I had US or Forstner bracelets, I know I would probably keep it on for a day or two, and eventually go back to OEM. Just my .02
ducatiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 10:47 PM   #27
Heady Topper
Banned

Here’s a few side by sides (contemporary vs vintage). As OP mentioned, this is a step up and a nice one at that. I’m trying to get a sense of how the flex is different between this one and the Ed White bracelet. But this is by far the best after market bracelet I’ve handled.

Heady Topper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 12:24 AM   #28
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Should this same bracelet fit the smp300 diver? I think I’ve seen photos of that style oem on the diver. Looks great
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 01:38 AM   #29
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Very nice, Tony! Looks like a great bracelet, enjoy!
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 02:28 AM   #30
Golden Ellipse
2024 Pledge Member

I bought one based on this discussion — it lasted <24h on my 3861. Properly adjusted, it still wasn’t comfortable, and the new clasp — though extremely well-engineered — was just far too bulky after having grown accustomed to the OEM design.

After having been through a large variety of aftermarket bracelets on this Speedy (and lug apocalypse to show for it :) ) I’ve concluded that the one that came on the watch is the superior design available…in my eyes.
Golden Ellipse is offline   Reply With Quote