The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 September 2017, 10:06 PM   #31
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
Back on track. Great pickup. Did you not fancy the 43? The sky d suits you well so thought you might go for the larger one?
I have wanted a SD for five years and finally bit the bullet as the opportunity afforded through ownership of the SkyD meant I could comfortably do some trading. The SD4K when it first appeared didn't appeal to me because of the 60 minute ticks. From my understanding they are required by ISO on saturation dive watches so I know longer have an issue with them. Also the SkyD does fit me well but it is pretty much at the upper end of my watch sizing. Although I have a 44mm Breitling SuperOcean X-Plus, that watch isn't in the same league as the SD costing a small fraction. 40mm is really the sweet spot of sizing for my 6.5 inch wrist. The tapered lugs and cyclopless crystal make this the last of the standard SDs (at least for the moment). The fact that the run was only 2.5 years adds to the allure. Also I was uncomfortable with the Sub C when I owned it. I can't imagine that the larger SD would have worked well for me.

Stopping by the local AD after I picked up the SD4K in order to get it sized I was made aware that all I needed to do to get the SD 50th was order it so there is no issue with availability on the watch. All in all the SD4K ticks all the boxes for me. At any rate that is my rational, sound or not.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 10:09 PM   #32
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Makes sense, and looks a great size for you in the photos.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 05:14 AM   #33
DavidUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidUK View Post
It may help even more to go visit an optician?

Actually, I also don't like the Sea Dweller. Too bulky. But as it's a simpler design than the Sky Dweller I could live with it.

Only I couldn't, really, as I had to ditch my Sub Date after 4 weeks due to its overwhelming monotone dullness. The SD has that in buckets full too.

I'd like to apologise for my comments. I think I must have confused the OP with someone else after copious amounts of alcohol last night.
DavidUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 05:42 AM   #34
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I'd like to apologise for my comments. I think I must have confused the OP with someone else after copious amounts of alcohol last night.
Don't surf and drive? Regardless I saw in another of your posts how you were disappointed with the SubC Date. I was similarly disappointed with the SubC although I've never tried on the Date version. I must say that the styling on the Sea Dweller and feel on the wrist is much different that the 114060 (at least to me). If you like dive watches it's worth at least trying on. Apology accepted, fwiw.

Old 25 September 2017, 05:52 AM   #35
DavidUK
"TRF" Member

I think the big issue was that I sold my TT DJ36 FOR the Sub Date, then pined for another TT DJ, but a bigger one, a DJ41...

Maybe in time I'll add an alternative, perhaps a different dive watch, although I'll eventually inherit my fathers 1968 Speedy Pro, currently with Omega in Switzerland for a full overhaul.
He bought it new in Mexico whilst covering the Olympics for British TV...

DavidUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 06:09 AM   #36
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I think the big issue was that I sold my TT DJ36 FOR the Sub Date, then pined for another TT DJ, but a bigger one, a DJ41...

Maybe in time I'll add an alternative, perhaps a different dive watch, although I'll eventually inherit my fathers 1968 Speedy Pro, currently with Omega in Switzerland for a full overhaul.
He bought it new in Mexico whilst covering the Olympics for British TV...

I can understand the desire for a certain style. I still have an older DJ 16013 plus as you know the Sky D is kind of a DJ on steroids. Really I like the pre-moon Speedy. I've rehabbed at '69 Mark II. Not quite the same but for me it is a bit off the standard which makes me like it a bit more. Some day I may get a regular styled one but with the Mark II I have the 861 Lemania based workings. Good luck with the Wimbledon DJ41!!!