The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 September 2017, 06:12 AM   #31
Porter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor....
IMO you have an amazing watch and if you're completely sure the dial is 100% original then you have a VERY special one. I would not touch it and keep it.
Enjoy it with the best health!

"If you're not having fun you're doing something wrong". Groucho Marx.
Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 06:20 AM   #32
Trimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porter View Post
IMO you have an amazing watch and if you're completely sure the dial is 100% original then you have a VERY special one. I would not touch it and keep it.
Enjoy it with the best health!

"If you're not having fun you're doing something wrong". Groucho Marx.
Thank you
Trimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 06:44 AM   #33
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
Authenticity aside, I'm pretty sure there would not be many other examples like yours out in the world. Keep it and enjoy the uniqueness, or scratch the OCD itch.

"Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late."

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

ref. 116520 Daytona - 10/2014
KrismanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 07:10 AM   #34
EvEr34
"TRF" Member

Sorry but I don't see anything special with a lopsided dial especially when the first thought that comes too mind is "fake". It just looks plain weird and surely does not make it more collectible. Just my 2c
EvEr34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 07:24 AM   #35
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimmy View Post
as l doubt there is another like it !

Correct on this point since they don't have too many manufacturing defects

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 September 2017, 07:37 AM   #36
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvEr34 View Post
Sorry but I don't see anything special with a lopsided dial especially when the first thought that comes too mind is "fake". It just looks plain weird and surely does not make it more collectible. Just my 2c

I agree.

If Rolex can replace the dial with an original one of the same era (matching description provided by sensui), then I would ask them to do that.

Looking forward to hearing about the outcome.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 02:25 PM   #37
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
Your dial has all the characteristics of a Mark 5 dial. However that dial should come with a pointed 4 bezel, not flat 4. Flat 4 bezels disappeared in late 2004 on the Mark 1 dials and then reappeared for a short period again on some late F serial through very early D serial watches with a Mark 3 dial. Mark 5 dials started to appear in the market in late 2005.

Would be curious the date of purchase of your watch in 2004 and what letter and first digit in the serial #.

It appears the hour markers were applied to the dial off centered. They are all shifted off center equally.
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 02:36 PM   #38
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcash0615 View Post
Your dial has all the characteristics of a Mark 5 dial. However that dial should come with a pointed 4 bezel, not flat 4. Flat 4 bezels disappeared in late 2004 on the Mark 1 dials and then reappeared for a short period again on some late F serial through very early D serial watches with a Mark 3 dial. Mark 5 dials started to appear in the market in late 2005.

Would be curious the date of purchase of your watch in 2004 and what letter and first digit in the serial #.

It appears the hour markers were applied to the dial off centered. They are all shifted off center equally.
Hey Dave......I thought this @ first......but I'm not convinced because the placement of the R in "Oyster" does seem centered under the legs of the "R" in Rolex....which implies mk1-3 but obviously the O in "Rolex" is not oval either from the pic.....That along with the strange placement of the markers makes this a really weird dial......sure it's possible I guess it's authentic and just a misprint......but I'd be very suspicious......perhaps better pictures for inspection is needed.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 02:50 PM   #39
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

The photo isn't really clear, but when I look it appears the the R in oyster is aligned with end of left foot of R in Rolex and not centered. I agree with you, something isn't right here as the round O with flat 4 bezel doesn't coincide with the chart and a Mark 5 dial didn't start to appear on these watches until early December 2005, a year after this one was purchased.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Hey Dave......I thought this @ first......but I'm not convinced because the placement of the R in "Oyster" does seem centered under the legs of the "R" in Rolex....which implies mk1-3 but obviously the O in "Rolex" is not oval either from the pic.....That along with the strange placement of the markers makes this a really weird dial......sure it's possible I guess it's authentic and just a misprint......but I'd be very suspicious......perhaps better pictures for inspection is needed.
Old 21 September 2017, 03:10 PM   #40
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcash0615 View Post
The photo isn't really clear, but when I look it appears the the R in oyster is aligned with end of left foot of R in Rolex and not centered. I agree with you, something isn't right here as the round O with flat 4 bezel doesn't coincide with the chart and a Mark 5 dial didn't start to appear on these watches until early December 2005, a year after this one was purchased.
I think I see what you're seeing now after looking at it closer...could be more lined to the left left leg of the R making this a Mark 5....that would at least ease me a bit as the owner....just incorrect dial for the period claimed....who knows though, the data from vrf for 16610Lv like all vintage are just data points.....interesting to see where this leads...I'd be interested in closer pics of the dial and verifying the back of it if it was apart.
Old 21 September 2017, 04:15 PM   #41
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
If it was mine, I'd ask RSC if it was possible to retro fit what is deemed to be the correct dial for the serial/date i.e. A mk1.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 04:26 PM   #42
Helmi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
I agree.

If Rolex can replace the dial with an original one of the same era (matching description provided by sensui), then I would ask them to do that.

Looking forward to hearing about the outcome.

Exactly. That would be fair and best solution IMHO
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 07:16 PM   #43
DavidUK
"TRF" Member

My wife watched a documentary recently in which camera retailers were unwittingly selling high end Nikon or Canon cameras to the public which turned out, unbeknownst to them, to be Chinese knock-offs. Now I don't know whether these were "authorised" retailers, but I'm sure that if you took your watch into any watch shop with a view to selling it they would hand it back to you saying "sorry, not interested" despite your protestations it's genuine.

Many actual fakes could be passed off as genuine ahead of your watch, and in the world of Rolex anything unusual, apart from dials with aged patina perhaps, is dropped like a hot potato. That's because there are hundreds of thousands of fake Rolexes known to be out there. Would I buy your watch for £50? No, because it's either a fake OR I'd be stuck with it forever, unable to sell it because everyone else, at first glance, will think the same.

You MUST get the AD to either admit they have sold you a fake or get them to fix it. I'd firstly take it to another AD or better still to a RSC and ask them to authenticate it. Then maybe find a way of dealing with Rolex direct, send them some photos, and see if they wish to "cover it up" by sorting it for you, if it hasn't been confiscated by then.
DavidUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 03:17 AM   #44
Trimmy
"TRF" Member

Following comments yesterday

Hi
Below are some further images I have taken of the Submariner Flat 4 you commented on yesterday regarding the authenticity, the Rolex dealer from where purchased has offered for the watch to be sent back to Rolex for them to verify that this is an mk 1 original and not a fake as I believe it to be with the provenance around the watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolexwatch2.jpg (150.7 KB, 499 views)
File Type: jpg rolexwatch3.jpg (66.7 KB, 501 views)
File Type: jpg rolexwatch4.jpg (162.2 KB, 502 views)
Old 22 September 2017, 03:23 AM   #45
MBYSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Patek
Something is weird here...
Old 22 September 2017, 03:48 AM   #46
Emoney11
"TRF" Member

that is definitely not an mk1

No oval O
"R" is not centered

To me it looks like someone took a LN and did a sloppy job in substituting parts to make a maxi dial and then added the green insert
Omega Planet Ocean 8900 43.5
Breitling Superocean 44
Emoney11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 03:58 AM   #47
chuckblocker
"TRF" Member

Submariner Flat Four 50th Anniversary

Damn, that dial looks horrible.

Nice botch job @ rolex QC if it ever left the factory like this
chuckblocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 04:08 AM   #48
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbysf View Post
something is weird here...
x2.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 04:24 AM   #49
Trimmy
"TRF" Member

So if Rolex confirm after having the watch back that it is a original MK 1 with faulty dial and offer replacement, what would you do ?
Old 22 September 2017, 04:28 AM   #50
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

With the upgraded pictures, definitely the R is lined up with the left leg of Rolex....it looks more like a botched mk5 dial.....something is definitely wrong and it's definitely nothing close to a mk1 or any of the earlier dials with an oval O in "Rolex."
Old 22 September 2017, 04:39 AM   #51
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
So if Rolex confirm after having the watch back that it is a original MK 1 with faulty dial and offer replacement, what would you do ?
Your decision but RSC will most likely install whatever dial they have in stock for the watch. It could be any variation and not necessarily a "Mark 1". You will get what you get.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 04:45 AM   #52
Trimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
With the upgraded pictures, definitely the R is lined up with the left leg of Rolex....it looks more like a botched mk5 dial.....something is definitely wrong and it's definitely nothing close to a mk1 or any of the earlier dials with an oval O in "Rolex."
Hi

Thanks for your comments
The AD is returning the watch to Rolex for their verification of original with factory faults.

If this is confirmed by them what would you do. Replace if that is possible ?, or with letter of authenticity from Rolex keep as is ?
Old 22 September 2017, 04:47 AM   #53
Trimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Your decision but RSC will most likely install whatever dial they have in stock for the watch. It could be any variation and not necessarily a "Mark 1". You will get what you get.
I will get what l am offered if l accept.
Old 22 September 2017, 05:30 AM   #54
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hi

Thanks for your comments
The AD is returning the watch to Rolex for their verification of original with factory faults.

If this is confirmed by them what would you do. Replace if that is possible ?, or with letter of authenticity from Rolex keep as is ?
I'm not exactly sure....you have to think about this carefully....let's say you:

1) Get a letter of authenticity from Rolex (BTW I think this is highly unlikely with a dial botched like this, they would never certify this).....if you're keeping the watch and it makes you sleep well @ night...so be it....but I'd think buyers wouldn't be so easily convinced on a flaw like this if you want to sell....even with a letter from Rolex that can't be authenticated in any useful manner.

2) Get a changed dial....it's impossible they'd change the dial back to a rightful mk1 dial from 2003/2004....they just don't keep these dials around. It'd be a much later dial and possibly even a non-maxi service dial.
Old 22 September 2017, 05:48 AM   #55
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex RSC does not make any distinctions between the different dial variations. They probably couldn't even tell you the difference between a Mark 1 or Mark 5 dial, nor do they probably even know about these dial variations. The RSC will require a dial replacement before returning the watch to you if it is determined to be authentic and a manufacturing error. You will get whatever dial is at he top of the parts bin. Most likely will be a Mark 7 or Mark 8 dial as these were the last ones being produced at the end of the LV run. Then you will have an F serial LV with a later dated maxi service dial.
Old 22 September 2017, 06:05 AM   #56
southcarolina1801
"TRF" Member

Yeah everything about that dial is awful. I would have noticed that on day one.
southcarolina1801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 06:10 AM   #57
broker
"TRF" Member

If you ask for a MK1 dial at RSC here in Brazil they will not even understand what you said, to RSC, they are all the same, MK1... MKX, there's just "the replacement dial to that model".
broker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 06:11 AM   #58
Trimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure....you have to think about this carefully....let's say you:

1) Get a letter of authenticity from Rolex (BTW I think this is highly unlikely with a dial botched like this, they would never certify this).....if you're keeping the watch and it makes you sleep well @ night...so be it....but I'd think buyers wouldn't be so easily convinced on a flaw like this if you want to sell....even with a letter from Rolex that can't be authenticated in any useful manner.

2) Get a changed dial....it's impossible they'd change the dial back to a rightful mk1 dial from 2003/2004....they just don't keep these dials around. It'd be a much later dial and possibly even a non-maxi service dial.
Thanks for all your input, will just see how it plays out from here.
Old 22 September 2017, 06:17 AM   #59
Trimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southcarolina1801 View Post
Yeah everything about that dial is awful. I would have noticed that on day one.
Thanks, very informative !
I take your superior view of yourself with the smile it deserves.
Old 22 September 2017, 06:44 AM   #60
Masteryacht
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16622,BLNR,116500
He could have said it in a nicer way than "awful", but there are lots of things about that dial that are off center of where they should be.
Masteryacht is offline   Reply With Quote