The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 September 2017, 06:14 AM   #31
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

He's doing platinum Daytona and black ss gmt
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 06:15 AM   #32
oneilchris555
"TRF" Member

I only have a YM but I think that down the line I would want 1 or 2 more. I think 4-5 would be the perfect collection though.
oneilchris555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 06:20 AM   #33
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
best of luck to you.

I think I have found my sweet spot at 5.

But I was still looking at other watches during some down time today.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 06:33 AM   #34
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I could come down to 2 Rolexes but not 2 watches, have you looked at any other brands?
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 06:34 AM   #35
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by prolle View Post
I scaled my collection back I wear my 1665 Mon-Friday to work and I wear my swatch system51 on the weekend and the others watches well it might be time sell

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
I did the same thing recently. Put all the watches in my safe except my G-Shock and 2 Bremonts (custom military). I did sell a bunch of nice ones that were in the safe.

But I have no willpower, so I bought some, too. Sigh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy11 View Post
The "WRUW" posts just won't be the same!
Lol! So many members have beautiful eye candy! I think we'll all be good...lol :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJM914 View Post
Good luck!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
It'll be interesting to get your impressions after that exercise. Please keep us posted!
Definitely

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDABBQ View Post
winding down from 6 to 4, hell im just getting started getting to 4.
If you're happy....all good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Ok , I've looked around my house ..... where are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneilchris555 View Post
I only have a YM but I think that down the line I would want 1 or 2 more. I think 4-5 would be the perfect collection though.
However you are happy, that's all that matters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
best of luck to you.

I think I have found my sweet spot at 5.

But I was still looking at other watches during some down time today.
Looking is always my problem
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 06:47 AM   #36
KSBill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi GMT
considering the same thing....
KSBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 06:49 AM   #37
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Good luck. I couldn't do it.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 06:53 AM   #38
Bfd70
"TRF" Member

Helps to stay off TRF. Then you won't see gorgeous pictures of all the watches you NEED.
Bfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 08:00 AM   #39
Wildy
"TRF" Member

I am in a different position. I have bought 4 Rolex since May ( 3 new 1 lightly used). None have felt special like when I got my first seadweller in 2001. I have been warned by my better half to stop buying watches but it's the ones I don't have that I long for. This forum doesn't help., it turns you into an addict.
Old 26 September 2017, 08:04 AM   #40
DavidUK
"TRF" Member

Surely buying one at a time, until you become bored with it, is the best way to go?

That way you don't fret about the ones you're not wearing.
DavidUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 09:15 AM   #41
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
After years of buying, collecting, flipping, etc...I'd like to honestly slow WAY down. Maybe others feel the same? I have been thinking of a 4-6 watch collection for a while now, but I TRULY want less to think about when strapping on a watch every morning. Not thinking about....WG, YG, SS, blue, black, white, etc....I know...big first world problems. But where else but here, amongst WIS friends, could I present this scenario, and not seem

I've read so many threads about being a 1 watch man or woman...always kind of envied that :)
And before discovering TRF, catching the bug, the hype, etc....I wore only a Sub date, for 10 years.

TRYING SOMETHING DIFFERENT.....
Not going down to 1 watch, but going to try 2 for a while, see how it works.
Putting away (bank box...outta sight outta mind) all but two.
Going to keep the two at home, I THINK, will embody everything I think I would want in a 2 watch collection.

......think PT & SS
Will report on my experiment/feelings, for anyone who may fear consolidating down from a 4+ watch collection
Rich, I'm totally with you on this. Too much work involved in daily choice and too many watches sitting idle. Two to three seem like the right count to me. I had a thread a while back on what would a perfect two watch collection look like. For me it might well be my SkyD and the recently acquired SD4K although in the thread I was thinking about the 16600. Time will tell if I can complete my mission. Swapping out the DJII and 16700 GMT was where I had planned on starting so that step is complete.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 09:37 AM   #42
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Good luck Richard.

I scaled back over the last couple of years. Now down to 3 (114060, 116613LB, U serial 16570 Polar) that share wrist time. Polar gets the least wear and honestly I could easily just keep the 2 Subs, but the Polar has sentimental value. Sure makes picking a watch in the morning much simpler. Wife has a couple as well and if I need something a little dressier I can steal her 116231 white and diamond dial.

This is the first time in many years I am not looking to add or move any watches. Really content. Maybe slimming down helped with this or it is just another phase of the hobby.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 09:44 AM   #43
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Good luck.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 09:46 AM   #44
rmlovett1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSBill View Post
considering the same thing....
I'll let you know how it goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
Good luck. I couldn't do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfd70 View Post
Helps to stay off TRF. Then you won't see gorgeous pictures of all the watches you NEED.
Yes... NEED!! Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
I am in a different position. I have bought 4 Rolex since May ( 3 new 1 lightly used). None have felt special like when I got my first seadweller in 2001. I have been warned by my better half to stop buying watches but it's the ones I don't have that I long for. This forum doesn't help., it turns you into an addict.
Absolutely right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidUK View Post
Surely buying one at a time, until you become bored with it, is the best way to go?

That way you don't fret about the ones you're not wearing.
Good point:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Rich, I'm totally with you on this. Too much work involved in daily choice and too many watches sitting idle. Two to three seem like the right count to me. I had a thread a while back on what would a perfect two watch collection look like. For me it might well be my SkyD and the recently acquired SD4K although in the thread I was thinking about the 16600. Time will tell if I can complete my mission. Swapping out the DJII and 16700 GMT was where I had planned on starting so that step is complete.
Thank you...good to know others have had same thought process

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
Good luck Richard.

I scaled back over the last couple of years. Now down to 3 (114060, 116613LB, U serial 16570 Polar) that share wrist time. Polar gets the least wear and honestly I could easily just keep the 2 Subs, but the Polar has sentimental value. Sure makes picking a watch in the morning much simpler. Wife has a couple as well and if I need something a little dressier I can steal her 116231 white and diamond dial.

This is the first time in many years I am not looking to add or move any watches. Really content. Maybe slimming down helped with this or it is just another phase of the hobby.
Yes, I've been thru many "phases" as well :)
Glad to hear you are content
Old 26 September 2017, 10:25 AM   #45
Pacheco
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD40,DJ41,YM Blue
You know I was up to 4 Rolexes and the choosing every morning and letting one sit idle one week started to stress me out. I don't come from money so having an expensive watch sit a week felt like a waste. So I traded my WG Daytona and my TT GMT for a DD40 grail which I love to wear for special occasions and on the weekends. My Black DJ41 and Blue YM for work during the week depending on what I'm wearing and I'm done. A 3 piece collection is perfect for me and I wear each one at least twice a week. Let's see how it goes and how long I can last but the trio feels right.
Old 26 September 2017, 12:02 PM   #46
rmlovett1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacheco View Post
You know I was up to 4 Rolexes and the choosing every morning and letting one sit idle one week started to stress me out. I don't come from money so having an expensive watch sit a week felt like a waste. So I traded my WG Daytona and my TT GMT for a DD40 grail which I love to wear for special occasions and on the weekends. My Black DJ41 and Blue YM for work during the week depending on what I'm wearing and I'm done. A 3 piece collection is perfect for me and I wear each one at least twice a week. Let's see how it goes and how long I can last but the trio feels right.
Excellent!
Old 26 September 2017, 12:04 PM   #47
paltak
"TRF" Member

Like you two watches are ideal for me. I've been narrowing it down from five rolex to two in the last 2+ years.

I've also only kept two at home and after countless of trips to the bank safety box and trying different pairings, based on my casual lifestyle, my 16710 and 16610LV will be the last two standing. I will however get all the available inserts for both and jubilee bracelet for the GMT.

The other ones will remain at the bank safe for now. Good luck Rich!
paltak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 08:15 PM   #48
rmlovett1

Quote:
Originally Posted by paltak View Post
Like you two watches are ideal for me. I've been narrowing it down from five rolex to two in the last 2+ years.

I've also only kept two at home and after countless of trips to the bank safety box and trying different pairings, based on my casual lifestyle, my 16710 and 16610LV will be the last two standing. I will however get all the available inserts for both and jubilee bracelet for the GMT.

The other ones will remain at the bank safe for now. Good luck Rich!
Great plan!
Old 26 September 2017, 08:55 PM   #49
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I like the idea Rich and I wish you well on your experiment

I was a one watch guy for about 20 years and I never thought about owing more than this. Then I joined TRF I was up to 5 at one point and thought to myself, why? At times I felt a bit uneasy with the whole thought of owning multiple watches and at times even stressed. I have no idea why, other than I got to thinking you CAN have too much of a good thing.

I decided last summer to get down to 3 pieces and see how it felt. This number seems more manageable to me, and for whatever reason I actually enjoy the 3 that I have more now. I have no doubt I'll flip one or two down the road, but I'm not adding (at least that's what I'm telling myself).

Good luck
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 09:15 PM   #50
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I did a similar experiment several months ago and put up 10 watches and left out two to be worn. It was ok but I knew the others were there and over a short time window I had them back on the winder and in the rotation. At one point, I only owned a SS Submariner Date and a YG Daytona. It might have been my time of bliss as I was completely happy, though uneducated, in collecting. I was working and into other things. As my interest and knowledge grew so did my collection and it was not long that I wanted to own other watches, Omega, Panerai, etc. What I have learned is own what you want and can afford. Wear what you own and enjoy your collection. Even if it is one watch or 10. I know that there is a lot of money tied up in our watches but this is not brain surgery. Have fun.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 09:18 PM   #51
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
I thought he already had a Platona and ended up selling it? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 09:34 PM   #52
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I thought he already had a Platona and ended up selling it? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

Don't know whatcha got till it's gone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 09:35 PM   #53
rmlovett1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I like the idea Rich and I wish you well on your experiment

I was a one watch guy for about 20 years and I never thought about owing more than this. Then I joined TRF I was up to 5 at one point and thought to myself, why? At times I felt a bit uneasy with the whole thought of owning multiple watches and at times even stressed. I have no idea why, other than I got to thinking you CAN have too much of a good thing.

I decided last summer to get down to 3 pieces and see how it felt. This number seems more manageable to me, and for whatever reason I actually enjoy the 3 that I have more now. I have no doubt I'll flip one or two down the road, but I'm not adding (at least that's what I'm telling myself).

Good luck
Love it thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I did a similar experiment several months ago and put up 10 watches and left out two to be worn. It was ok but I knew the others were there and over a short time window I had them back on the winder and in the rotation. At one point, I only owned a SS Submariner Date and a YG Daytona. It might have been my time of bliss as I was completely happy, though uneducated, in collecting. I was working and into other things. As my interest and knowledge grew so did my collection and it was not long that I wanted to own other watches, Omega, Panerai, etc. What I have learned is own what you want and can afford. Wear what you own and enjoy your collection. Even if it is one watch or 10. I know that there is a lot of money tied up in our watches but this is not brain surgery. Have fun.
Thank you for the advice and story! I appreciate it.

Quote:
Yes, you're correct..but I did acquire another :)
Old 26 September 2017, 10:26 PM   #54
tkdgod
"TRF" Member

3 is the perfect goal for me. Blro, platona, yg sub.
tkdgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 01:52 PM   #55
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Good luck & enjoy. But, the bank teller is going to get to you know on a first name basis...... ;-)

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 01:53 PM   #56
Subtiki
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 43
SD43 did it for me:)
Subtiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 07:46 PM   #57
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Some great points made in this (very) thought provoking thread.

And I do wonder if much of it comes down to simply not quite finding "the one"?

Or in my case "the ones" (to fit every eventuality).

Having sold my RG Daytona as it wasn't getting the wrist time it deserved (and freeing up some cash for another project) I tthought i was happy with the 116613LN. Always admired the black TT sub and got a great deal. A watch that made me smile.

Then Rolex launched the SD43 at Basel, and with it being a 50th anniversary SD, me being 50 next month and with the 16600 being the watch, in hindsight, I should never have sold, the almost impossible hunt was on (this is the UK remember) but my AD came good for me.

Realised very quickly that for me its the perfect Rolex. Much like my wife (second) I'd found "the one". As a result there was no point in keeping the sub as I'd rarely wear it. So off it went.

I've got an incoming chronograph next month (a birthday present from my amazing wife) - not a Rolex, on a strap and "dressier", but with a similar theme to the SD43 - black dial, red highlight, S/S.

Then, along with my G Shock and apple watch, I'll have (for me and importatly my budget ) "the ones" for every occasion. Two mechanical watches covering everything from the beach to formal events, an unbreakable solar powered super accurate "activity" watch and a little bit of tech as I do like my Apple products and the Apple watch has proven to be much more useful than I could have thought.

Does that count as two or four??? Either way - its enough for me

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 07:53 PM   #58
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
After years of buying, collecting, flipping, etc...I'd like to honestly slow WAY down. Maybe others feel the same? I have been thinking of a 4-6 watch collection for a while now, but I TRULY want less to think about when strapping on a watch every morning. Not thinking about....WG, YG, SS, blue, black, white, etc....I know...big first world problems. But where else but here, amongst WIS friends, could I present this scenario, and not seem

I've read so many threads about being a 1 watch man or woman...always kind of envied that :)
And before discovering TRF, catching the bug, the hype, etc....I wore only a Sub date, for 10 years.

TRYING SOMETHING DIFFERENT.....
Not going down to 1 watch, but going to try 2 for a while, see how it works.
Putting away (bank box...outta sight outta mind) all but two.
Going to keep the two at home, I THINK, will embody everything I think I would want in a 2 watch collection.

......think PT & SS
Will report on my experiment/feelings, for anyone who may fear consolidating down from a 4+ watch collection
I will give this some serious thought Rick.....

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 08:04 PM   #59
rmlovett1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Some great points made in this (very) thought provoking thread.

And I do wonder if much of it comes down to simply not quite finding "the one"?

Or in my case "the ones" (to fit every eventuality).

Having sold my RG Daytona as it wasn't getting the wrist time it deserved (and freeing up some cash for another project) I tthought i was happy with the 116613LN. Always admired the black TT sub and got a great deal. A watch that made me smile.

Then Rolex launched the SD43 at Basel, and with it being a 50th anniversary SD, me being 50 next month and with the 16600 being the watch, in hindsight, I should never have sold, the almost impossible hunt was on (this is the UK remember) but my AD came good for me.

Realised very quickly that for me its the perfect Rolex. Much like my wife (second) I'd found "the one". As a result there was no point in keeping the sub as I'd rarely wear it. So off it went.

I've got an incoming chronograph next month (a birthday present from my amazing wife) - not a Rolex, on a strap and "dressier", but with a similar theme to the SD43 - black dial, red highlight, S/S.

Then, along with my G Shock and apple watch, I'll have (for me and importatly my budget ) "the ones" for every occasion. Two mechanical watches covering everything from the beach to formal events, an unbreakable solar powered super accurate "activity" watch and a little bit of tech as I do like my Apple products and the Apple watch has proven to be much more useful than I could have thought.

Does that count as two or four??? Either way - its enough for me
Excellent thoughts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
I will give this some serious thought Rick.....

I hear ya! It's a tough proposition:)
Old 27 September 2017, 10:35 PM   #60
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Hey Rich, how’s the process going? A little more than a year ago, I decided to go for the watch I’ve always wanted, the Big Red Daytona. I’m sure glad I did because these have really climbed since that time. I traded a good bit of my collection to make this less painful and it has inadvertently turned me into a one watch guy. It does everything I need and it’s small enough to go with a suit and under a cuff. I really don’t like big clunky watches and suits. It really flies under the radar in the real world and I like that. I really don’t post much in WRUW because it’s the same for me most days and it could be boring. I’m at the age where I’m starting to simplify most aspects of my life and this suits me. Anyway, just thought I’d check in and share some thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote