The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 11 August 2021, 02:38 PM   #1
nealjyu
"TRF" Member

5726a date wheel misalignment and not switching date instantaneously

Hi everyone! I just got my 5726a about two months ago brand new from my AD and yesterday at 12 midnight, I noticed the date didn't change instantaneously but got stuck between 10 and 11. At 12:27am, it fully switched from 10 to 11.

Also, the date wheel seems misaligned. Slightly skewed to the left. Are these things one should expected from a 5726a or should I have it checked by the service center?

Many thanks!

nealjyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2021, 10:17 PM   #2
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
Congrats on the pickup. I see what you’re saying and think you can easily show these pictures to your AD and possibly service center. Plus other 5726 owners will hopefully share their experience here.

It’s new and it seems like it should change right at midnight. My 5167R and 5712 do. On the other hand if you didn’t notice it with two months of wear it may be within normal limits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2021, 11:03 PM   #3
nealjyu
"TRF" Member

Appreciate the response! I've never noticed the date change before because I never bothered to watch the date change at midnight until last night. Will try to observe it again tonight and hopefully it switches instantaneously.

Hoping other 5726 owners chime in with their experience
Old 12 August 2021, 11:14 AM   #4
nealjyu
"TRF" Member

Just an update. I observed the watch again last night and from 12 to about 12:26am, the date slowly moves from 11 to maybe showing a very small portion of the number 12. Then at 12:28am, makes a jump to 12.
Old 12 August 2021, 04:54 PM   #5
KJBrandal
"TRF" Member

Could have something to do with the fact that it is an annual calendar. I have a 5960 and the date and day slowly change from like 11:30 to 12:20.
KJBrandal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2021, 06:49 PM   #6
Rushne
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: White 116500LN
I wouldn’t be concerned with the slower date change but the misaligned disc to the left is a little concerning.

Omega: Seamaster Professional 300M 2220.80.00
Rolex: Daytona White Dial 116500LN
Rolex: Sky-Dweller Blue Dial Jubilee 336934
Rolex: DateJust 36 Roman White Dial Oyster 126234
Rolex: OP 36 Celebration Dial 126000
Panerai: PAM 422
Patek Philippe: Aquanaut 5167A
A. Lange & Söhne: 1815 Annual Calendar

@mechanicaltom Stolen: IWC Portuguese 500107 Case number 3853222
Rushne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2021, 09:18 PM   #7
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
congrats on an amazing pickup ! i have been homing in on one of these for a bit and it seems gray prices are still climbing at the moment, sigh

very disturbing to hear that about the watch though. just hard to believe a datewheel could be misaligned at 50k. and is it just me or is the font different from the 18 and the 7 ?

i just wore my grand lange 1 for a week straight on vacation and i didn't even lose 1 minute. absolute masterpiece.
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2021, 10:26 PM   #8
nealjyu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJBrandal View Post
Could have something to do with the fact that it is an annual calendar. I have a 5960 and the date and day slowly change from like 11:30 to 12:20.
Yeah, maybe. Mine changes from 12MN to around 12:30am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushne View Post
I wouldn’t be concerned with the slower date change but the misaligned disc to the left is a little concerning.
It changes depending on the time I think from skewed to the left, then to the right then center which I find weird. I don't know if this is normal with this reference though. Am taking pictures of the date wheel throughout the day for reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoPico View Post
congrats on an amazing pickup ! i have been homing in on one of these for a bit and it seems gray prices are still climbing at the moment, sigh

very disturbing to hear that about the watch though. just hard to believe a datewheel could be misaligned at 50k. and is it just me or is the font different from the 18 and the 7 ?

i just wore my grand lange 1 for a week straight on vacation and i didn't even lose 1 minute. absolute masterpiece.
Thanks! Luckily, I got this from my AD and yes, the datewheel is a bit disappointing. Font is the same. Maybe just the angle or the lighting making it seem different
Old 12 August 2021, 10:42 PM   #9
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Patek has a lot of trouble aligning the date in the date window. I’ve had a few with this issue and when you look at pics online it’s fairly common. Very disappointing for such a simple complication.
Halothane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2021, 10:53 PM   #10
nealjyu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halothane View Post
Patek has a lot of trouble aligning the date in the date window. I’ve had a few with this issue and when you look at pics online it’s fairly common. Very disappointing for such a simple complication.
I just did a quick search on Instagram and you are absolutely right. As long as this is normal and won't damage the movement or what not then I'll be fine with it and let it be.
Old 13 August 2021, 02:58 AM   #11
scurfa
"TRF" Member

My 5711 date quite often got stuck solid, it went back three times and the problem never went away

Old 13 August 2021, 04:29 AM   #12
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halothane View Post
that's the kind or info that could turn someone like me away. have always loved the brand and my vintage pieces. not sure i could take a step towards a large investment piece if it's that flawed unfortunately
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2021, 08:44 AM   #13
Breizh
"TRF" Member

I have the exact same watch (and used to have an Aquanaut as well).
The date does take a while to switch. I’m not sure how long for mine but a Patek will never have a instantaneous date switch like a Rolex. So that’s normal (in my experience).

The pictures with the 7 and 18 date seem centered to me. Not sure why the 11 is not. I would keep an eye on that next time around.
Also, did you follow the exact instruction on the annual calendar set up? that could also be a cause for trouble.
Breizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2021, 10:17 AM   #14
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
I have a 5146G and it does the same thing on date change, could be an AC thing

Old 13 August 2021, 12:24 PM   #15
nealjyu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breizh View Post
I have the exact same watch (and used to have an Aquanaut as well).
The date does take a while to switch. I’m not sure how long for mine but a Patek will never have a instantaneous date switch like a Rolex. So that’s normal (in my experience).

The pictures with the 7 and 18 date seem centered to me. Not sure why the 11 is not. I would keep an eye on that next time around.
Also, did you follow the exact instruction on the annual calendar set up? that could also be a cause for trouble.
Yes, only time the watch was set up was when it was bought. When not in use, the watch is sitting in the winder.

On 12, the date is centered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azizu View Post
I have a 5146G and it does the same thing on date change, could be an AC thing

Yes, I guess it might be an AC thing then
Old 17 August 2021, 05:38 PM   #16
Lo0o0o0n
"TRF" Member

Here's my experience with my 5726A bought pre-owned just 2 months ago as well.

it was a 2014 piece and the date wheel change was way too early to be acceptable for me. day started to change at 930 -10pm, and date changed from 11-1130pm. brought it to a reputable local watch repair guy and he said the day and date wheels are probably just misaligned so i let him work on it.

after he was done, the date and day now slowly start changing from 1230am-130am. To me this was still unacceptable at first, until i gave a call to the Patek service center and confirmed that as long as the day and date changes from 11am and completes the change by 2am, it is operating within specifications.

So there u go, living with the same issue as u but since Patek says this is the way it should be, i have more assurance. my date over shoots to the next day and then snaps back as well and FWIW, ur date wheels seem centered to me when they are not changing.
Lo0o0o0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2021, 06:37 PM   #17
Rushne
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: White 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo0o0o0n View Post

it was a 2014 piece and the date wheel change was way too early to be acceptable for me. day started to change at 930 -10pm, and date changed from 11-1130pm. brought it to a reputable local watch repair guy and he said the day and date wheels are probably just misaligned so i let him work on it.

after he was done, the date and day now slowly start changing from 1230am-130am. To me this was still unacceptable at first, until i gave a call to the Patek service center and confirmed that as long as the day and date changes from 11am and completes the change by 2am, it is operating within specifications.

So there u go, living with the same issue as u but since Patek says this is the way it should be, i have more assurance. my date over shoots to the next day and then snaps back as well and FWIW, ur date wheels seem centered to me when they are not changing.
9:30 -10 pm starting to change was an issue for sure. 11pm to 2am, seems alright to me.

I believe almost all manufacturers recommend not changing the date on a mechanical movement when the hands are between 9pm and 3am (wide margin to be safe) as somewhere between there the movement will start engaging the date change function.
On movements where there is an instantaneous flip to the next date, the movement has a spring which is slowly building up tension from, lets say 10:30 pm, then on midnight the stored energy in the spring is released to flip the date over.
Other movements don't have a spring to load up energy into for a date change and instead let the teeth slowly move the date disc as time move on.

Patek takes the second option where as Rolex opt for the instant change. It just varies from movement to movement so I think it's pretty normal. As long as your date wheel is aligned and centered between 2am and 11pm I would say it's alright.

Omega: Seamaster Professional 300M 2220.80.00
Rolex: Daytona White Dial 116500LN
Rolex: Sky-Dweller Blue Dial Jubilee 336934
Rolex: DateJust 36 Roman White Dial Oyster 126234
Rolex: OP 36 Celebration Dial 126000
Panerai: PAM 422
Patek Philippe: Aquanaut 5167A
A. Lange & Söhne: 1815 Annual Calendar

@mechanicaltom Stolen: IWC Portuguese 500107 Case number 3853222
Rushne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2021, 06:51 PM   #18
nealjyu
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm glad to hear this is a normal occurrence and within Patek standards. Yes, the date initially overshoots to the left then centers itself after some time.
Old 19 August 2021, 12:30 PM   #19
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
I have a 5726…it’s a slow moving date change
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2021, 07:52 AM   #20
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
Quote:
i gave a call to the Patek service center and confirmed that as long as the day and date changes from 11am and completes the change by 2am, it is operating within specifications.
that makes sense
i guess thats why watch companies advertise "instant date change" as a feature
Old 26 August 2021, 01:39 PM   #21
bigdolan
"TRF" Member

new to me 5726

I got my 5726 yesterday and immediately noticed the date not being centered and moving slowly. this post has made me feel much better.
bigdolan is offline   Reply With Quote