The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 29 August 2021, 02:35 AM   #1
Roverholics
"TRF" Member

Sourcing a 'new old stock' Calatrava

Hi, I am new to the forum and looking to seek some guidance based on the wealth of information and experience here. After reading numerous posts on the Calatrava models and watching reviews on you tube, I am looking to source my first Patek - Calatrava 18k Rose Gold Men's Watch 5296R-001.

I understand this version with the sector dial is now discontinued, but often dealers have new old stock. I made contact with the Geneva salon and they no longer have it, waiting to hear from the salon in London.

Any suggestions or other large retailers I can check with? In terms of location, I am in FL (Tampa Bay area). Look forward to some guidance and I shall continue to also read post on the current Calatrava models in the meantime.
Roverholics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2021, 05:09 AM   #2
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!
Any particular reason you prefer this specific model? And it needing to be NOS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2021, 05:25 AM   #3
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

Discontinued so long ago that I doubt there's any chance of an NOS.
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2021, 06:02 AM   #4
qrc36
"TRF" Member

This is going to sound silly, but you'll have to ring up every AD and ask. From my knowledge, two situations can happen:

1. The AD has unsold stock which they have kept for years and years.

- This is not very likely. But it can happen - in 2019 I bought a 5140G (perpetual calendar discontinued in 2016) at an AD in Singapore. It had been sitting in the shop for all these years unsold. They also had a 5140J too!

2. The AD was sent old stock from Patek HQ for no particular reason.

- This happens from time to time. My AD (in Hong Kong) says that Patek sometimes sends them watches that have been discontinued for a long time, in a double sealed (i.e. new) condition. They wonder if it's unsold old stock from Patek HQ itself, or if it's unsold stock from other ADs who have closed down, or ADs returning watches back to Patek HQ.

- In 2019, my AD received a 5298P (a 38mm Calatrava with diamonds all around) which had been discontinued for several years. It sat in the display, unsold as it's not the most appealing Calatrava for men, with too many diamonds. Several months later, a rather famous American singer walked into the shop, saw this in the display and bought it. The singer knew it was was a discontinued model and bought it right away. He did not even ask about discounts but was given the standard 10% off. The staff did not know who he was until after he left, when another customer mentioned that he was a celebrity. They had to Google him! But to be fair, I don't know any of his songs either ...

So yes, you should call up all ADs and see what they have - it's going to be time consuming and there may not be any new ones any more, but you never know. Good luck!
qrc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2021, 07:30 AM   #5
Roverholics
"TRF" Member

alpharulez - To me this model is versatile in nature between a casual and formal watch. I also like the visible caseback. With that said, I am open to suggestions if there are other current models that are worth looking into. In terms of NOS, perhaps just a preference for me with this being such a prominent brand and it being my very first Patek.

qrc36 - I shall give it a shot and make some calls tomorrow. Will attempt all the major AD's and I might just get lucky.
Roverholics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2021, 07:50 AM   #6
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by qrc36 View Post
This is going to sound silly, but you'll have to ring up every AD and ask. From my knowledge, two situations can happen:

1. The AD has unsold stock which they have kept for years and years.

- This is not very likely. But it can happen - in 2019 I bought a 5140G (perpetual calendar discontinued in 2016) at an AD in Singapore. It had been sitting in the shop for all these years unsold. They also had a 5140J too!

2. The AD was sent old stock from Patek HQ for no particular reason.

- This happens from time to time. My AD (in Hong Kong) says that Patek sometimes sends them watches that have been discontinued for a long time, in a double sealed (i.e. new) condition. They wonder if it's unsold old stock from Patek HQ itself, or if it's unsold stock from other ADs who have closed down, or ADs returning watches back to Patek HQ.

- In 2019, my AD received a 5298P (a 38mm Calatrava with diamonds all around) which had been discontinued for several years. It sat in the display, unsold as it's not the most appealing Calatrava for men, with too many diamonds. Several months later, a rather famous American singer walked into the shop, saw this in the display and bought it. The singer knew it was was a discontinued model and bought it right away. He did not even ask about discounts but was given the standard 10% off. The staff did not know who he was until after he left, when another customer mentioned that he was a celebrity. They had to Google him! But to be fair, I don't know any of his songs either ...

So yes, you should call up all ADs and see what they have - it's going to be time consuming and there may not be any new ones any more, but you never know. Good luck!
I also have seen a 5140J or R at the patek AD in Auckland long after it was gone. perhaps there is something about the 5140 not selling
Old 29 August 2021, 07:55 AM   #7
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverholics View Post
alpharulez - To me this model is versatile in nature between a casual and formal watch. I also like the visible caseback. With that said, I am open to suggestions if there are other current models that are worth looking into. In terms of NOS, perhaps just a preference for me with this being such a prominent brand and it being my very first Patek.

qrc36 - I shall give it a shot and make some calls tomorrow. Will attempt all the major AD's and I might just get lucky.

Understood.

I would have suggested the latest model which has an amalgamation of modern and vintage design cues.

Failing which would have fallen back to the 5120s.

NOS of PP from AD is hard to come by for most models. ADs these days usually find ways to move stock out especially of these not so rare models so as to not sit on inventory which is bad for cash flow and the business.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2021, 08:09 AM   #8
nesnith
"TRF" Member

I was able to obtain a NOS full-set 5296G in sector dial (double sealed in box, and plastic) last year from a dealer on chrono24. There may still be some of those NOS units out there. Good luck with your hunt!
nesnith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2021, 08:17 AM   #9
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Call Albert at European Watch Company in Boston. Be can probably source one.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2021, 07:47 PM   #10
qrc36
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverholics View Post
Small ADs might be better - they might sell fewer watches and they might not have much bargaining power with Patek (and so Patek gives them watches that don't sell well, and they can't return it to Patek as easily as a big AD, and they can't offload their stock to greys etc.)
qrc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 03:06 AM   #11
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Good luck in your search. I would look to the re-sellers who have "unworn"
or "new" condition watches in inventory all the time. A single sealed one might even turn up.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote