The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 1 July 2023, 07:55 PM   #31
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
I’m travelling to the badlands of Hertfordshire from leafy Surrey tomorrow and wonder if it’s “safe” to wear my AP ROO 43?
It was good knowing you. Godspeed.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2023, 11:13 AM   #32
le_baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
in the hamptons you'll probably feel poor wearing an AP
Old 2 July 2023, 06:19 PM   #33
Bigsoftee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite DD40
I live in Dubai but generally spend the summer months in Europe. All my watches are insured for 90 consecutive days while travelling, so tick in the box there. However, I did go to Central London for a couple of work meetings the other day, and wore no watch. I will be in Orlando for a holiday soon, and will be wearing my daily beater without a second thought, which is a DD40 WH with meteorite dial. I guess it just being aware of surroundings. London for me would be a no no though. NYC I did wear my daily beater, however it was at winter, so was generally covered up. Although I would probably wear a WG/SS in the summer in NYC.
Bigsoftee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2023, 04:04 AM   #34
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

I’m in Las Vegas and have worn my 15510 and haven’t been mugged yet.
Weird…
It’s like people don’t care.
Commandopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2023, 04:06 AM   #35
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
It was good knowing you. Godspeed.
Thank you, it was nice knowing you

(I lived, arm was not hacked off to steal my ROO. I feel blessed)
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2023, 04:18 AM   #36
APhound
"TRF" Member

I’m leaving the country tomorrow (please don’t rob me! ) and was planning on leaving my APs and just wearing an omega for safety reasons etc but as I was packing I just really didn’t want to be without one so I’m taking one. I enjoy it so much it’s worth it. Plus my last three are all covered by AP so f it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2023, 07:36 AM   #37
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandopat View Post
I wore my RO in Vietnam, Cambodia, Japan in my recent travels.
For the overwhelming majority of the time no one’s really paying attention.
I've historically always felt safest with any watch whilst in Asian countries. I've lived in 3 continents and travel pretty frequently, I've never one time, even after late night partying back in my 20s, felt the least bit unsafe in any Asian country. Would have never done the same in some areas of the US/Europe.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2023, 09:30 AM   #38
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
I've been traveling in Korea and Japan the last few weeks and feel way safer here wearing my watches than back home in the states.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2023, 09:55 AM   #39
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
I've been traveling in Korea and Japan the last few weeks and feel way safer here wearing my watches than back home in the states.
Nice! I was there for a few months recently. Is the Gangnam boutique open yet?

In terms of safety, I never had to worry in places like Singapore, Korea, Tokyo, Riyadh, UAE etc

LA, SF, NYC, London? These cities are literal dumps. I’ve lived most of my life in LA/SF and can say I don’t feel safe wearing nice watches unless it’s under a sleeve
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2023, 09:56 AM   #40
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m in Las Vegas and have worn my 15510 and haven’t been mugged yet.
Weird…
It’s like people don’t care.
I’m headed to Vegas today with my 15510! ����
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2023, 11:35 AM   #41
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by In-N-Out View Post
Nice! I was there for a few months recently. Is the Gangnam boutique open yet?

In terms of safety, I never had to worry in places like Singapore, Korea, Tokyo, Riyadh, UAE etc

LA, SF, NYC, London? These cities are literal dumps. I’ve lived most of my life in LA/SF and can say I don’t feel safe wearing nice watches unless it’s under a sleeve

I'm not sure the Gangnam bt is open yet, haven't checked. Maybe it's because the situation back home has gone so south recently, but we are considering buying a place here now. It's so clean and safe. My 9 year old asked me where all the homeless people were the 2nd day here. Lol. It's weird not having to have my head on a swivel everytime we go out.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2023, 09:28 PM   #42
LUDA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wore my RO in Vietnam, Cambodia, Japan in my recent travels.
For the overwhelming majority of the time no one’s really paying attention.
Those countries are safer for watches than Belgium or NYC.

Issues for watches are mostly in some big and/or touristic cities in western Europe as well as some in the USA. You can be in Cambodia or Indonesia (done that, felt totally safe) without issues. You can be in eastern Europe countries also without even thinking twice about watch theft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb866 View Post
You'll be fine wearing it. Just don't go venturing into bad areas and stay aware of your surroundings. The watch theft in Europe gets a disproportionate amount of media attention because there really isn't much other crime. In the US, watch theft doesn't move the needle and so there is very little reporting of it. In the grand scheme of things, Europe is super safe.
This is quite true, but still during summer I don't wear my RO so much in big cities, in my small 10K people town no problem.
LUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2023, 06:02 AM   #43
construda
"TRF" Member

Have worn my 15510 in LA, Vegas, and recently in Rome through all the touristy spots. Wore my Offshore for 5 months straight in Puerto Rico. Haven't had a problem yet
construda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2023, 07:29 AM   #44
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Planning on wearing mine to vegas in September- maybe I’ll just stay in the Wynn for the entire trip
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2023, 11:55 PM   #45
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
The simple answer is that if you’re worried about taking your watch someplace, don’t go there yourself!
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2023, 02:07 AM   #46
grahammackay86
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Quote:
I would be careful in Vegas, my friend had a Rolex stolen there and have always heard there's a lot of watch theft there.

Same as anywhere though, need to stay aware - especially after a few beers!
grahammackay86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2023, 02:12 AM   #47
Reign
"TRF" Member

I wore mine in Vegas and was totally fine. As long as you’re not trying to bring a stranger back to your room, you’re all good.

I live in NYC and wear my Rolex and APs with some caution, especially during summer with short sleeves. Midtown, WV, Flatiron, Tribeca all okay - east and lower becomes less ideal

Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2023, 09:55 PM   #48
SylvainDXB
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Rolex and more
Pondering the same questions while packing for a 3 weeks vacation in Switzerland. Since I had a visit to the Atelier / Museum scheduled in Le Brassus, had to travel with my ROC 50th anniversary. Ended up taking my Rolex batman as well for the trip as a “secondary watch”. Living outside Europe and being constantly bombarded by watch theft content online, legitimate concerns prior to departing. As soon as we landed in Geneva, one of the young guy working at the duty free immediately spotted the watch and engaged conversation. Got paranoid for a second and thought he might be a “spotter” for people at the arrival section . Ended up putting my sleeves down to cross the arrival and went on to take a taxi, nothing bad to report afterward.
I ended up wearing my AP almost every single day in the Geneva/Megeve area and never felt uneasy or worried. While I did receive a couple of compliments on the watch (mostly at the cashiers and by younger people who seems genuinely happy to see the watch), nothing of concerned happened.
The wife and I just were aware of our surroundings, and on a few occasions hid our watches while going to underground parkings, but at no stage during the 3 weeks we felt like wearing desired timepieces had put us at risk.

SylvainDXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2023, 07:11 AM   #49
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTCP8 View Post
I will be in Belgium and New York for a few weeks...

In the past I was not too concerned when wearing a watch, but these I should be more careful when travelling outside of Asia.

People who live Europe and New York, will I be a target when wearing an AP? Shall I just wear my Apple Watch? Planning to bring my RO OR and one Rolex....
Not risky at all. Just be aware of where you are going and only make the watch visible when it's appropriate. E.g. dont wear a tshirt showing off the watch when walking at a back alley at midnight.
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2023, 08:05 AM   #50
H_UK
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15400
They key is be aware of your surroundings and the people around you and you'll be fine....

My AP has been to Seattle, Idaho, LA, San Diego and Ibiza this summer, no problems at all....the one time I felt uncomfortable (in Ibiza, after a few drinks, trying to get a taxi) I simply took it off and put it in my pocket :-)

As a side note in all locations especially LA/Ibiza I saw many people wearing similar value watches seemingly without a care in the world. Utimately if someone wants my watch they can have it, its insured and no item is worth getting into dangerous situation especially when I am with wife/kids.
Old 18 August 2023, 09:48 AM   #51
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Lived in Manhattan for 20 years. Will not wear an AP or Patek on subway anymore unless I have long sleeves. Had several run ins in the last few years. Social media has made it very easy to recognize and value these watches.

Even had a fresh direct delivery guy comment on my nautilus!
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2023, 10:14 AM   #52
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
Lived in Manhattan for 20 years. Will not wear an AP or Patek on subway anymore unless I have long sleeves. Had several run ins in the last few years. Social media has made it very easy to recognize and value these watches.

Even had a fresh direct delivery guy comment on my nautilus!
interesting, i still feel ok on the subway in a t shirt but then again i mostly only take the subway during rush hour in the morning and evening. during more sketchy hours i definitely try to cover it up and i refuse to take the subway on weekends nowadays

overall i do feel a lot more uncomfortable and on high alert these days though. i imagine having a few run ins would make it even worse mentally. it's a complete shame but at least we can wear long sleeves for 9 months out of the year here
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 05:38 AM   #53
ajw99
"TRF" Member

Recently, hotel bellman and concierges in three different European cities told me, as soon as they saw my wrist, not to wear any Rolex or AP. They said that the thiefs are so good now, the thiefs can take your watch off your wrist without you even realizing and they focus on AP and Rolex. The hotel people said there is little crime but the few incidents they have with hotel guests are almost always regarding watches and AP and Rolex in particular. This was London, Madrid, and Barcelona and were in nice areas within them. I love those cities and imagine this is the case in many places throughout the world. Regardless, I felt totally safe and will continue to love and visit those places and it doesn't change my thinking about those cities even the tiniest bit.
ajw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 06:18 AM   #54
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw99 View Post
Recently, hotel bellman and concierges in three different European cities told me, as soon as they saw my wrist, not to wear any Rolex or AP. They said that the thiefs are so good now, the thiefs can take your watch off your wrist without you even realizing and they focus on AP and Rolex. The hotel people said there is little crime but the few incidents they have with hotel guests are almost always regarding watches and AP and Rolex in particular. This was London, Madrid, and Barcelona and were in nice areas within them. I love those cities and imagine this is the case in many places throughout the world. Regardless, I felt totally safe and will continue to love and visit those places and it doesn't change my thinking about those cities even the tiniest bit.
I hate to pigeon hole this, as a pretty well traveled person myself.....but London/Spain are THE only two places I would say not to wear a nice watch in the entirety of Europe. So I wouldn't equate your experience there to say 'its not safe in Europe', it's more that those two places are rampant with theft, and have been for a bit. Spanish pick picketers are world class and they run in droves, it's nuts.
Old 21 August 2023, 06:24 AM   #55
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvainDXB View Post
Pondering the same questions while packing for a 3 weeks vacation in Switzerland. Since I had a visit to the Atelier / Museum scheduled in Le Brassus, had to travel with my ROC 50th anniversary. Ended up taking my Rolex batman as well for the trip as a “secondary watch”. Living outside Europe and being constantly bombarded by watch theft content online, legitimate concerns prior to departing. As soon as we landed in Geneva, one of the young guy working at the duty free immediately spotted the watch and engaged conversation. Got paranoid for a second and thought he might be a “spotter” for people at the arrival section . Ended up putting my sleeves down to cross the arrival and went on to take a taxi, nothing bad to report afterward.
I ended up wearing my AP almost every single day in the Geneva/Megeve area and never felt uneasy or worried. While I did receive a couple of compliments on the watch (mostly at the cashiers and by younger people who seems genuinely happy to see the watch), nothing of concerned happened.
The wife and I just were aware of our surroundings, and on a few occasions hid our watches while going to underground parkings, but at no stage during the 3 weeks we felt like wearing desired timepieces had put us at risk.

Lol Switzerland isn't remotely comparable to the majority of Europe, it's absurdly safe there. Your run of the mill Swiss individual already has AP money, whereas in the US/EU it would be considered more an exception. Not to mention, you're in the stomping grounds of high horology itself.

Switzerland is 100% the safest place I've ever felt in Europe, maybe aside from other smaller places like Liechtenstein (which interestingly enough had authorized Patek and AP dealers on a narrow street!). It's almost laughable to think about worrying for 1 second in these places.
Old 21 August 2023, 07:01 AM   #56
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
I hate to pigeon hole this, as a pretty well traveled person myself.....but London/Spain are THE only two places I would say not to wear a nice watch in the entirety of Europe. So I wouldn't equate your experience there to say 'its not safe in Europe', it's more that those two places are rampant with theft, and have been for a bit. Spanish pick picketers are world class and they run in droves, it's nuts.
Never been to Rome?
Old 21 August 2023, 07:04 AM   #57
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
interesting, i still feel ok on the subway in a t shirt but then again i mostly only take the subway during rush hour in the morning and evening. during more sketchy hours i definitely try to cover it up and i refuse to take the subway on weekends nowadays

overall i do feel a lot more uncomfortable and on high alert these days though. i imagine having a few run ins would make it even worse mentally. it's a complete shame but at least we can wear long sleeves for 9 months out of the year here
Rode subway throughout most of Covid and that was enough for me to put them away. Rush hour is generally fine, but why bother taking the risk, especially since the APs I wear most is 15407, 15416 and QP. I moved most of my higher valued watches out of the city to my home in Colorado. Nice being able to wear anything I want without worry.
Old 21 August 2023, 07:16 AM   #58
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
Never been to Rome?
Haha I'm 50/50 on Milan and Rome, but not enough to say 'don't wear a nice watch there'.
Old 21 August 2023, 01:56 PM   #59
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
Agree with this part.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 04:27 PM   #60
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

I would be very careful wearing a Royal Oak anywhere really except if i have carefully surveyed where i'm going.

I would suggest selling your Royal Oaks and not wearing them at all if you're worried - it's not worth it
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote