The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 7 September 2016, 02:25 PM   #31
Vishy26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Krishna
I should have said 23 months and stand corrected.
Sympathize with the difficulty you now have with that watch. Rethreading the case is what I would do if I was spending my own money.
I have figured out a lot in my years here. But I still have much to learn. However, lack of experience on my part would not be a burden on the seller if I never checked a watch I bought for almost 2 years...
Paul, RSC said case replacement is compulsory. If you get it rethreaded I am not sure if RSC would ever service this watch as the watch condition would be seen as altered. In these situations bear in mind you were already burdened by the seller's faulty item first before you burden him later on with anything else of yours. May be I am wrong here, thats why I said in my main post that I appreciate opinions like yours.
Vishy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 02:27 PM   #32
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
Not a good situation, its a 25 year old watch , I would have had it checked sooner than later. 2 years is a long time to expect a refund imo.
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 02:35 PM   #33
Flywheel
"TRF" Member

$3100 USD (converted from Ausie dollar) seems high for a new case. You might find an alternative option if you look elsewhere.
Flywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 03:14 PM   #34
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
If the story is true than your seller was a scumbag.Sorry for your loss

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 03:39 PM   #35
Assquatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675
That really sucks. You can at least sell the watch for parts. You might not make all your money back but at least it's something.
Assquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 03:39 PM   #36
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

So who's the seller?
Old 7 September 2016, 04:04 PM   #37
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

I think it's too long, get the case retreaded michael young does this relatively cheap and sell it. I assume by glue you mean silicone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 7 September 2016, 04:19 PM   #38
Vishy26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
I think it's too long, get the case retreaded michael young does this relatively cheap and sell it. I assume by glue you mean silicone

Don't know, all they say is this bright news.. its glued together. If it gets rethreaded would RSC touch this watch again? If the case was rethreaded, you are obliged to mention that fact first. Keeping that in mind, don't think you can sell it for much, better of selling it for parts as Assquatch mentioned.
Old 7 September 2016, 04:34 PM   #39
RGAmos
"TRF" Member

If you do not want to disclose the seller's name, can you tell us whether he is still active on this forum?
RGAmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 04:44 PM   #40
Vishy26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGAmos View Post
If you do not want to disclose the seller's name, can you tell us whether he is still active on this forum?
Yes, he is active and has some listings going on currently. Weighing still, don't want to pull the trigger in haste. Such things once done, can't be undone.
Old 7 September 2016, 04:56 PM   #41
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishy26 View Post
Yes, he is active and has some listings going on currently. Weighing still, don't want to pull the trigger in haste. Such things once done, can't be undone.

Let him to correct the things,give him a reasonable timeframe if he won t move let everybody know-don t forget to mention his name in Who is who section too-.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 05:04 PM   #42
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
I buy occasionally from trusted sellers on here and I don't usually verify, given the good reputations they have. I would like to know if something I bought was from this person, as I would be bringing it in to RSC pronto to have it checked out. So far so good, but this definitely causes alarm.

Who's the seller?
Old 7 September 2016, 05:08 PM   #43
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjr View Post
Folks throw that "trusted seller" term around way too easily here. You really think all the "trusted sellers" here open up every Rolex they take in and inspect it before reselling it? I would always have my own inspection/authentication done when purchasing pre-owned....I don't care who the seller is. Way too much money involved not to independently validate.
Any good seller should at very least be doing 4 things with every watch he is buying, regardless of the source...

1. Inspecting the exterior of the watch (dial, bracelet markings, case, etc.). This is important to find damage, aftermarket parts, etc..
2. Removing the bracelet and checking for the serial and model number. This is especially important to ensure that the watch has not been tampered with, rebuilt, or altered from its true form (i.e. a stainless steel case reference which has been converted to a two tone).
3. Unscrew and twist the crown to make sure it winds properly and runs.
4. Open the caseback to ensure the authenticity of the movement/caseback and most importantly to make sure the movement does not show corrosion, rust, altered parts, etc.

Personally, I always always always open the case back even when buying from a trusted dealer... trust but verify!

Last edited by jvmartin; 7 September 2016 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: forgot some words
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 05:10 PM   #44
TMQ
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by S52 View Post
Agreed...

Good example of "Caveat Emptor"

Exactly where my mind went. So sorry for what happened, but that is the risk of the secondary market, through people who have no store etc. that you can go back to. Even then, they could claim ignorance.
TMQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 05:23 PM   #45
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGAmos View Post
It wasn't very hard to figure out who the seller was.

I'd say (like someone already did) give the seller a little time to work this out and hopefully it will turn out for the best.

I agree a long time has past since your purchase but a fault like this definitely is sellers responsibility.

If he (like you said) bought it from a dealer and was too lazy to check it out he should rectify it now.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 06:00 PM   #46
Vishy26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
It wasn't very hard to figure out who the seller was.

I'd say (like someone already did) give the seller a little time to work this out and hopefully it will turn out for the best.

I agree a long time has past since your purchase but a fault like this definitely is sellers responsibility.

If he (like you said) bought it from a dealer and was too lazy to check it out he should rectify it now.

I still believe its seller's fault as reasoned above.
May be when struck by a minor misfortune you tend to see what you want to see
Old 7 September 2016, 06:06 PM   #47
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Don't know, all they say is this bright news.. its glued together. If it gets rethreaded would RSC touch this watch again? If the case was rethreaded, you are obliged to mention that fact first. Keeping that in mind, don't think you can sell it for much, better of selling it for parts as Assquatch mentioned.

I can't answer that to be honest but if done properly would they know ?

Old 7 September 2016, 06:26 PM   #48
Vishy26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
I can't answer that to be honest but if done properly would they know ?

David, sure they would have the serial number of the case in their records, they sent me a service quote with the serial number on it saying case replacement is compulsory.

The other thing is selling after rethreading. Onus is on me to tell the buyer clearly that the condition of case was altered. After all this saga, why would I want to push this on to another unfortunate buyer without revealing the condition. Either you keep it or sell it for parts like Assquatch mentioned. I do not intend to retain, so selling it for parts is the option
Old 7 September 2016, 06:26 PM   #49
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
I buy occasionally from trusted sellers on here and I don't usually verify, given the good reputations they have. I would like to know if something I bought was from this person, as I would be bringing it in to RSC pronto to have it checked out. So far so good, but this definitely causes alarm.

Who's the seller?

Regardless of who sold this particular watch to the OP, isn't the learning value of his thread to enhance the understanding of "trust but verify"?
If you don't usually verify then aren't you at some risk that the item you bought wasn't opened by your seller?

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 06:33 PM   #50
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
David, sure they would have the serial number of the case in their records, they sent me a service quote with the serial number on it saying case replacement is compulsory.

The other thing is selling after rethreading. Onus is on me to tell the buyer clearly that the condition of case was altered. After all this saga, why would I want to push this on to another unfortunate buyer without revealing the condition. Either you keep it or sell it for parts like Assquatch mentioned. I do not intend to retain, so selling it for parts is the option

I would reveal it, nothing wrong with that as long as you state the case has been rethreaded due to previous damage

Old 7 September 2016, 06:34 PM   #51
Vishy26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post

Who's the seller?

As mentioned by Paul, please do it. Honestly, the chance of this occurring is minor but still will need to get it verified. Nothing to be alarmed but should be looked into.
Old 7 September 2016, 09:15 PM   #52
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would not sell the watch for parts. I would use one of the folks here on TRF that could fix the case and do the appropriate service. I would then wear my watch and enjoy it. I would not look to the Trusted Seller after 23 months. I have bought and sold dozens of watches over the last 20 plus years and have only had a few verified. Never had an issue and while I have returned watches to Trusted Sellers before for warranty cards not matching I have always been happy with the response. It is an unfortunate situation and I hope it works out for you.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 09:25 PM   #53
MonBK
Banned

Aha now I understand.

If long enough time pass then wrong becomes right!
Old 8 September 2016, 12:07 AM   #54
77T

Quote:
Aha now I understand.

If long enough time pass then wrong becomes right!

I wonder...you bring up a point worthy of discussion.
How long should a seller be responsible for a fault s/he didn't see?

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2016, 12:56 AM   #55
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
So who is the seller?
OP, a mod has asked you a question.
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2016, 01:39 AM   #56
imperio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Regardless of who sold this particular watch to the OP, isn't the learning value of his thread to enhance the understanding of "trust but verify"?
If you don't usually verify then aren't you at some risk that the item you bought wasn't opened by your seller?

Definitely some learning value there. I just wanted to see if I'd purchased anything from this same seller in the past.
Old 8 September 2016, 01:43 AM   #57
Syed117
"TRF" Member

As Mon said, it's fairly easy to figure out the seller.

That brings up another point on how people choose the sellers they work with.

Not intended as an attack against this particular seller at all, because he may very well be trustworthy, but not in my list of people I would classify as trusted sellers.

I always say that people should go with the biggest names. Yes, others might be fine and you might pay a little less, but if you're going to buy from a seller here, make sure it's one of top guys.
Old 8 September 2016, 01:49 AM   #58
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
As Mon said, it's fairly easy to figure out the seller.

That brings up another point on how people choose the sellers they work with.

Not intended as an attack against this particular seller at all, because he may very well be trustworthy, but not in my list of people I would classify as trusted sellers.

I always say that people should go with the biggest names. Yes, others might be fine and you might pay a little less, but if you're going to buy from a seller here, make sure it's one of top guys.
I actually know this seller and consider him a very thrust worthy honest person and also a friend and I can't understand how he would have missed this matter.

Perhaps there's a logical explanation behind all this?
Old 8 September 2016, 01:54 AM   #59
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I actually know this seller and consider him a very thrust worthy honest person and also a friend and I can't understand how he would have missed this matter.

Perhaps there's a logical explanation behind all this?
Hopefully there is an easy way forward for both parties.

We are taking the OPs word and again, I don't doubt the seller is trustworthy. I've never dealt with him and you are such a long time member that I would pretty much take your word.

I just meant that for me personally I would normally deal with the huge names.
Old 8 September 2016, 02:50 AM   #60
imperio
"TRF" Member

16710 with a damaged case from a Trusted seller here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Hopefully there is an easy way forward for both parties.

We are taking the OPs word and again, I don't doubt the seller is trustworthy. I've never dealt with him and you are such a long time member that I would pretty much take your word.

I just meant that for me personally I would normally deal with the huge names.

Personally I think there is no smoke w/o fire. If an allegation like this is being made against ANY seller I think the greater community would like to be made aware of who it is. Just because the seller has been named a "trusted" seller does not mean this should be tossed aside. What if the OP isn't the only one who's been in a situation like this?