The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 6 October 2016, 01:11 PM   #31
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Well done Grady, keep it up

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 03:30 PM   #32
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
My best mate is doing the same thing Grady.
Has dropped from 210lbs to 160lbs over about 12 months.
He is using the 'Weightwatchers' program and is very careful with Calories.
Tells me that losing it around the middle is the hardest thing as he is still a 36 in trousers.
My hat is off to you guys - you are making it look easy.
I have never put on any weight since teenage (135lbs) so I can't really relate to how difficult it must be for some folks to manage weight.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 05:08 PM   #33
PrinceT
"TRF" Member

Great, just continue to cut down on that carbo and sugar intake! A little bit of cardio and good sleep and you should be on your way out of those 38's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PrinceT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 09:10 PM   #34
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
That is an accomplishment and you should be proud. Keep it going.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 10:36 PM   #35
hsfrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: President
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
Well, not the kind the teenagers wear, but I did put on a pair of size 38, regular-fit Wranglers for my Tuesday night bowling league.

It's been awhile since I could do that, much less bowl comfortably.

45lbs and counting down.

When I get down to the 36", I'll be happy.

I'll probably never wear 34" jeans again, but you never know.

I start with the weights today. Nothing profound at my age, just to tone up the torso a bit.

A bowling buddy asked me Monday how I managed to lose so much weight and the only thing I could think to say in the limited time I had to respond was, "I quit eating everything that was making me fat." That sums it up well, I think.
We are brothers in lifestyle changes. I hate the word dieting. I have dieted so many times I have lost count. When I reached 225 lbs ( I am 5'6") I had it. So I went to a nutritionalist and got my recommended calorie count and then downloaded " My Fitness Pal" to keep track. Logged all food every day. Lost 22 lbs. went on a 30 day cruise and even though I did not log my food I lost another 3.5 to get me below my first goal of less than 200. Lost two sizes in pants. So I am now back logging my food. Exercising more and hopefully a permanent lifestyle change. congrats to you!!

Time and Tide wait for no man

Rolex Cellini 4133
Tudor North Flag

HERS:
Rolex TTDJ
hsfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 11:12 PM   #36
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Great job on the weight loss Grady.

People may laugh at this but I buy all my jeans at the western store where I buy my cowboy boots. Mostly all wrangler retro or cinch jeans. They are just more comfortable and give you a little more room in the nether region. I was a runner and football player in HS and spent a lot of time on the squat rack and leg press. So it was always hard for me to find jeans that fit well.

At 41 I am no longer as thick thighed as I once was and can actually wear 36" waist wranglers that are a slim cut. And the wife says they look great.

Buy you a pair of 36" slim boot wrangler's and keep on your trek!

bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 11:28 PM   #37
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
That's great Grady! After I got out of the Navy I gained some weight and fought to get it down again. I know how hard it is. Keep on going! You must feel better than you have in years!

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2016, 12:06 AM   #38
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Congratulations!! It is hard work but certainly worth every drop of perspiration!!
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2016, 12:09 AM   #39
Aceldama
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dads Omega Cal 601
Congrats Grady! Also in the journey. Since I stopped smoking about 15 years ago, I've been steadily getting wider. Currently down to a size 42 from a size 54 waist. Target is a size 36 (my waist size in college). Hope to hit that by the end of next year. Trying slow and steady (and permanent).

Aceldama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2016, 12:28 AM   #40
Sperry
"TRF" Member

Icon11

Yep, I know the feeling.

I bought a pair of 35 Regular and returned them for 35 Comfort.

My working jeans have been 36 Comfort.

And the pair of 34s? Relegated to the bottom drawer this past decade.

Still, the 38s of six years ago are long gone. I hope for good.
Sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2016, 12:55 AM   #41
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Grady, as someone else that is trying to lose weight, I can honestly say with all my heart...

I HATE YOU!!!!!!

My results (22 pounds in 8 months) pale in comparison to your accomplishments. Sigh....

Well, serious congrats ( as JJ would say) you Bastid! I have gone from a 38 to 34 myself, goal is 32. I guess for the both of us we just keep on keeping on!
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2016, 01:27 AM   #42
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
By the way, those 38" jeans had to accommodate my IWB. I may be closer to 36" than I think.
That's more reason to go OWB.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2016, 01:35 AM   #43
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Wow! I'm quite grateful for all these responses and all the good will. You're a great bunch of watch nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairdude1 View Post
Well done Grady, keep it up
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
I have never put on any weight since teenage (135lbs) so I can't really relate to how difficult it must be for some folks to manage weight.
Man, that's quite an accomplishment, right there. Congratulations of staying with the program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceT View Post
Great, just continue to cut down on that carbo and sugar intake! A little bit of cardio and good sleep and you should be on your way out of those 38's.
Good advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
That is an accomplishment and you should be proud. Keep it going.
Thanks! I'm really in the groove now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsfrank View Post
We are brothers in lifestyle changes. I hate the word dieting. I have dieted so many times I have lost count. When I reached 225 lbs ( I am 5'6") I had it. So I went to a nutritionalist and got my recommended calorie count and then downloaded " My Fitness Pal" to keep track. Logged all food every day. Lost 22 lbs. went on a 30 day cruise and even though I did not log my food I lost another 3.5 to get me below my first goal of less than 200. Lost two sizes in pants. So I am now back logging my food. Exercising more and hopefully a permanent lifestyle change. congrats to you!!
Amen, brother!

I did a little reading about how many calories it takes to stay alive and cut that in half in the beginning and stayed close to that until I got about 20lbs off. I really quit counting calories at that point and just started watching portions and focused on low calorie, high nutrition foods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
Great job on the weight loss Grady.

People may laugh at this but I buy all my jeans at the western store where I buy my cowboy boots. Mostly all wrangler retro or cinch jeans. They are just more comfortable and give you a little more room in the nether region. I was a runner and football player in HS and spent a lot of time on the squat rack and leg press. So it was always hard for me to find jeans that fit well.

At 41 I am no longer as thick thighed as I once was and can actually wear 36" waist wranglers that are a slim cut. And the wife says they look great.

Buy you a pair of 36" slim boot wrangler's and keep on your trek!
I know that feeling. I used to have huge calves from all the walking I'd do. They aren't so large these days, but they are still large enough to make it hard to fit into some trousers. I really prefer looser fitting clothes these days regardless of my weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
That's great Grady! After I got out of the Navy I gained some weight and fought to get it down again. I know how hard it is. Keep on going! You must feel better than you have in years!
I do feel better. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
Congratulations!! It is hard work but certainly worth every drop of perspiration!!
I actually haven't done much sweating. It's a dry climate, anyway. I've just been bowling at my usual five day a week schedule and taken some walks here and there along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceldama View Post
Congrats Grady! Also in the journey. Since I stopped smoking about 15 years ago, I've been steadily getting wider. Currently down to a size 42 from a size 54 waist. Target is a size 36 (my waist size in college). Hope to hit that by the end of next year. Trying slow and steady (and permanent).
Wow! that's really is great progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sperry View Post
Yep, I know the feeling.

I bought a pair of 35 Regular and returned them for 35 Comfort.

My working jeans have been 36 Comfort.

And the pair of 34s? Relegated to the bottom drawer this past decade.

Still, the 38s of six years ago are long gone. I hope for good.
Yeah, I was embarrassed when I had to buy my first 38" trousers. I really felt like a blimp and 40" didn't make me feel any better.

The 38" ones feel good simply because it's on the way down and also because before I could move to 38", I had to be able to accommodate my IWB, which needs at least an inch of extra room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Grady, as someone else that is trying to lose weight, I can honestly say with all my heart...

I HATE YOU!!!!!!

My results (22 pounds in 8 months) pale in comparison to your accomplishments. Sigh....

Well, serious congrats ( as JJ would say) you Bastid! I have gone from a 38 to 34 myself, goal is 32. I guess for the both of us we just keep on keeping on!

Paul, I understand every word and sentiment you express. My advice is to stop being so hard on yourself.

You're losing weight at a healthy pace. Neither of us are on a game show.

I wanted quick action and I knew how to do it, because of some of the rough periods of my life when food was almost a luxury and I had to maximize nutrition for the least amount of dollars.

The only thing I could say to anyone about losing weight is, stop feeling like you're sacrificing and use those words diet and dieting sparingly.

Diet means what you eat, so we are all dieting, since we are all eating.

The other thing is that other than the first two weeks or so, I haven't gone hungry, but I was was getting used to feeling hungry without rushing to get a meal. I'd just have some vegetable juice, which is quite filling and nutritious. Hunger pangs are necessary to keep us alive, but they can be misleading, if we respond to them without some cognitive effort.

Keep up the good work and take your time, good buddy!

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote