The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 March 2024, 04:01 AM   #541
dnd2984
2024 Pledge Member

After owning the 126500 for a few month, the 116500 for a few years, and a PM Daytona. They all wear different. The white 116500 just feels more special to me, vintage case going back to the 80s, with modern bezel.
dnd2984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2024, 04:22 AM   #542
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnd2984 View Post
After owning the 126500 for a few month, the 116500 for a few years, and a PM Daytona. They all wear different. The white 116500 just feels more special to me, vintage case going back to the 80s, with modern bezel.

^^^^Yup and when you lived though the evolutionary process of the Daytona you knew when the 116500 was released it was like capturing lightning in a bottle in how special it was from the beginning. This was also another time of prehype and before Rolex mania which also speaks to how significant it was. It hit with such a huge force of excitement and desirability no other Rolex model has come close to this day.

Old 25 March 2024, 04:57 AM   #543
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I visited my SA at WOS today. He was finishing up with a young couple as I arrived. He was filling out the guys three choices of Rolexes. When this young man said Daytona, black dial, I felt the awkwardness from the SA who was trying to mask how he really felt about this guys choice. His face said, lots of luck as he told this guy he would be in touch if he gets one for him...
Old 25 March 2024, 05:01 AM   #544
AD337
"TRF" Member

12 series is better for me because I have large wrists —- the 12 series is much bigger

I still have love for the 11 series

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AD337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2024, 06:02 AM   #545
jcdevoe26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
Clearly going to be controversial but no matter how hard I try, I can't love the new 12 Daytona.

So many people say it looks more refined.

To me it looks lazy, plain, modular, lacking in character, like an accountant designed it.

The thinner subdials and markers along with the thinner bezel inside a ring that sits on a fatter (wider) case, it just doesn't work for me.

Side by side, the 11 series looks meaty and purposeful, just flows better to me. I just don't get what Rolex was trying to achieve with the 12 series other than the ability to streamline production at the expense of aesthetics and purpose.

And to be clear this is not an antagonistic post for current and future owners... still a great watch if you can get one, but I just prefer the older 11 series, I think its got a design we may probably never see again.

100% agree…
jcdevoe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2024, 07:04 AM   #546
Bazil
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nicknames �
I’m genuinely getting so much enjoyment, knowledge from this thread .. beauty and joy of this forum ..

Some people cause happiness wherever they go ; and others whenever they go ..
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2024, 09:55 AM   #547
watcheeze
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkol View Post
Being a daytona fan for 20+ years, my fav feature has always been the asymmetrical lugs….i can’t think of another mainstream watch that had/has that feature. Such a pity that they deleted that
I agree.

Although the term "asymmetrical lugs" is used in the wording, it is beautiful that it looks like a very natural symmetrical lugs in appearance.

It may be a misleading expression if only the words are taken superficially.
watcheeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2024, 10:01 AM   #548
Tal & Co.
"TRF" Member

Hard to choose between the two love both for certain features.

For me it would be:

116 for daily since it has a sportier look to it
126 for occasional wearing since it has a sleeker look

Can't go wrong with either 🤷🏻*♂️
Tal & Co. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2024, 11:19 AM   #549
60sec
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126500, AP RO
I’m not sure that I agree that the 12 wears larger—they really feel the same to me. The 12 is more refined, and is my preference by a small margin. The 11 is bolder. Speaking about purely the esthetics, I find the 12 to be the better looking watch, but both are incredible!

60sec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2024, 07:38 PM   #550
Oytun
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712,116500 & Rest
126 looks too classic to be a sports watch. 116 looks more sport and wild, i was going back and forth to change my 116 with 126, i'll be keeping my 116.

Also i like that asymmetric design.. gives it a character.
Oytun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2024, 10:33 PM   #551
watcheeze
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sec View Post
I’m not sure that I agree that the 12 wears larger—they really feel the same to me.
Past postings may be helpful.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost.php?p=13087378

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD337 View Post
12 series is better for me because I have large wrists —- the 12 series is much bigger
Wrist thickness would be one of the selection criteria.
Old 26 March 2024, 12:02 AM   #552
Greg.A
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD337 View Post

I still have love for the 11 series

Still prefer the 11 series, the 12 series looks like the latest Longines conquest chronograph with the metal rim on bezel
Greg.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 08:17 AM   #553
Otto
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona and others
I haven't read all of the posts here, so I apologize in advance if this is redundant.

I was wandering around in Tokyo last Friday and in two different locations I tried on the new 126500LN. I saw the same metal/configuration in other stores as well. In the two locations, I tried on the new 126500LN and the "old" 116500LN. Each time it was a white dial watch. Honestly, as someone who has been wearing stainless, bimetal, and gold Daytonas for over 20 years, I had to strain hard to detect any difference between the old and new models. On my wrist, they both felt exactly the same and I had to look hard to notice the difference between the subdials, lugs, metal bezel ring, etc. One thing I noticed right off the bat though, as I looked closely, is that the contrast on the new dial/bezel combination is less than on the "old" model, at least to my eyes, and I prefer higher contrast; but I had to strain to detect this difference under the lights in the shops. Also, when I focused on the lugs, I was reminded of the old canard that sooner or later every sports or professional model in the Rolex lineup becomes more and more Sub-like. Don't get me wrong. It's a beautiful watch with a cool look, and if I didn't own the 116500LN I'd be trying to buy one immediately, but I just didn't find anything compelling about the changes. Maybe the differences would be more noticeable outdoors in natural light. I don't know. When I moved from a stainless steel bezel 116520 to the 116500LN, the changes between the two models were stark and compelling as something new. So, I really wanted to be bowled over by the new Daytona 126500LN, and I was honestly shocked not to be wanting one immediately. Maybe next time I'll see it differently, but I saw it in multiple shops in Tokyo and it just didn't make me want to move to the new model. My son, who is not really a watch guy, couldn't detect the differences until I explained them to him and even then he remained skeptical that they changed anything meaningful. I disagreed with him in terms of contrast, but he honestly could not immediately distinguish the watches in the next shop even after I explained the differences in one shop. On the other hand, I saw new Oysterflex models where the changes are more noticeable and I found myself gravitating toward them; but then again they are ultra expensive.
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 01:37 PM   #554
Spotdad
"TRF" Member

I think the 126500ln now has ARC on the outside of the sapphire crystal. Not sure how I feel about that, but personally like the new look better.
Spotdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 11:34 PM   #555
jtorrebl

Watch: what’s next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotdad View Post
I think the 126500ln now has ARC on the outside of the sapphire crystal. Not sure how I feel about that, but personally like the new look better.
No it has the same underside arc as the 116500
jtorrebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2024, 12:08 AM   #556
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
The typography (triangles) and lume index of the 126500, the case of the 116500, and the bezel (steel) of the 116520.

Wait, I’m describing a zenith…
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2024, 11:21 AM   #557
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkol View Post
Being a daytona fan for 20+ years, my fav feature has always been the asymmetrical lugs….i can’t think of another mainstream watch that had/has that feature. Such a pity that they deleted that
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
With you on this.
Rolex had a reason, balance, not just with the Daytona but also 5 digit and earlier subs.

It shows the attention to detail Rolex went to, to make tool watches perfect or at least highly considered for their intended use case. It’s what made Rolex special and have character to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by watcheeze View Post
I agree.

Although the term "asymmetrical lugs" is used in the wording, it is beautiful that it looks like a very natural symmetrical lugs in appearance.

It may be a misleading expression if only the words are taken superficially.
Yet there are those of us for whom the asymmetrical lugs are a design fail. One of those things that once seen cannot be unseen. Certainly doesn't look like natural symmetrical lugs to me.

My 5 digit sub was pretty symmetrical. My 5 digit sea dweller is completely symmetrical (was NOS)

Older cases used to be hand finished. I'm not sure that any asymmetry (other than the Daytona) was intentional.

Rolex made a point of saying that the asymmetric Daytona case was to balance the pushers. Yet only the steel cased and yellow gold on Oyster Daytonas had it.

All the others were symmetrical. My 116509 is symmetrical. And all the better for it - to my eyes

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:33 AM   #558
watcheeze
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Rolex made a point of saying that the asymmetric Daytona case was to balance the pushers.
Rolex sometimes makes bold specification changes as if they were timed against the market.

Remember when the Submariner once went from the "16610" to the "116610LN" and details such as the case and crown shape changed dramatically?

There is no doubt that this event was an unimaginable change for users who loved the 16610.

However, for those who are not so interested in watches, it was probably difficult to even tell the difference.

It is very natural that a big change for one person may seem so small that it is indistinguishable for another person.

And there is no "sure right answer" to them they may all be just "sensory differences".

What people are particular about and how they enjoy things, and how they perceive things are very deep.
Attached Images
File Type: png 116500LN.png (128.9 KB, 89 views)
Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM   #559
Gregdaytona997
"TRF" Member

I have the black dial 116500…I love it…it is perfect, wasn’t sure I was a Daytona lover, I got my wife a zenith two tone for her 50th a few years ago…she loved it and talked me into the 116500…with my love of Porsches she said it finally has the black bezel I wanted, and she was right. I have not seen the new one in person, but, cannot see myself being lured away…I love mine.
Gregdaytona997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM   #560
jtorrebl

Watch: what’s next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregdaytona997 View Post
I have the black dial 116500…I love it…it is perfect, wasn’t sure I was a Daytona lover, I got my wife a zenith two tone for her 50th a few years ago…she loved it and talked me into the 116500…with my love of Porsches she said it finally has the black bezel I wanted, and she was right. I have not seen the new one in person, but, cannot see myself being lured away…I love mine.
I said the same thing about my white dial 116500 until I spent time with the 126500 white. I traded it in and am ecstatic.
jtorrebl is offline   Reply With Quote