The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 1 April 2023, 04:04 PM   #31
Qimchi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Everything
It be greatness to supercede Genta's inspired Nautilus design.

Looking forward to it.
Qimchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 07:34 PM   #32
Vasco
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the link.

I'm looking forward to it. I think they did an excellent job in the recent 10 years to keep the collection up-to-date whether in the traditional or in the more contemporary lines.

When you look in the metal to the Pilot (or any Patek), you definitely see the dials elements or movements are very high-end. The numerals, and especially the Pilot/5172 applied ones, are one of the most difficult to make. Their edges and the way each sides are finished is top notch. The cases design is unrivaled and often complex to finish, not mentionning they are not made of flat surfaces. White gold brings shine and warmth, especially to a casual/sporty reference (like an Aquanaut or a 6000/6006G). That's why I think that, in the metal, the 6007 will be very appealing (I put aside the 1 watch - 3 colors thing that I don't know what the impact will be on the brand's image in 20 yeasr from now). We've only seen press pictures.

However, if they go for a subpar finished model (like the VC 46), I wouldn't like that at all, even if I try to stay open and have confidence from what we saw in the past. I've seen them and the difference with other VCs is huge.

Doing better than Genta's designs (Nautilus or RO) will be very hard but who knows. One thing is sure is that Patek surprised me very much in the past. The 5172G blue, 5205/5170P Blue, 5226/5326 are excellent examples of modernized versions of traditional designs. So we'll see what direction they take... (and it's the Gondolo's 30th anniversary but I doubt they will go to a rectangular shape which isn't for everyone).
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 09:53 PM   #33
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Patek new model line

It’s a line of watches for rich toddlers called “the next generation”

Old 2 April 2023, 01:45 AM   #34
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
would the new collection lean towards sports side or the dress watch side?
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 03:50 AM   #35
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwang0520 View Post
would the new collection lean towards sports side or the dress watch side?
I am thinking towards sport.
There are way many dress watches..
Old 2 April 2023, 03:57 AM   #36
sski
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ & ✠
imo, it will likely be a sub-brand that's 'youthful' (ala Tudor - and what they do for Rolex.)

Tudor fends off Omega, IWC, Breitling, etc. while Rolex continues to push upmarket; Patek would be wise to create a 'youthful' sub-brand to fend off the likes of Rolex/Czapek/Moser and grab market share (Patek's more 'accessible + youthful' sub-brand.)

Last edited by sski; 2 April 2023 at 04:10 AM.. Reason: context
sski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 04:31 AM   #37
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

it's clearly going to be the neptune line
francoamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 10:20 AM   #38
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member

The irony is the most affordable men's watches in the patek's lineup (aka entry level SS nautilus and aquanaut) have been amongst the most unobtainable.

Hopefully no redux
norcalgt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 10:50 AM   #39
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sski View Post
imo, it will likely be a sub-brand that's 'youthful' (ala Tudor - and what they do for Rolex.)

Tudor fends off Omega, IWC, Breitling, etc. while Rolex continues to push upmarket; Patek would be wise to create a 'youthful' sub-brand to fend off the likes of Rolex/Czapek/Moser and grab market share (Patek's more 'accessible + youthful' sub-brand.)
that's interesting. it definitely is an unappealing-t0-me route to go (the vc fiftysix approach or a tacky "something" ...by patek philipe a la code 11.59 ...by AP")

with a presumed 25000 USD to 40000 usd price range though I don't expect a step down in quality. it really is mind boggling how it wouldn't be a "Calatrava" or a "Complication" line watch. My ideal would be a steel heritage line but it would just absolutely cannibalize the Calatrava and Complication lines.
francoamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 11:00 AM   #40
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
Swatch X Nautilius?
Swatchilus ?

Maybe an Aquaswatch?

Just playing around. I doubt they will do that.
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 12:27 PM   #41
dlmocdm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
We have people who are passionate about watches and who can spend a maximum of $30,000 or $40,000 on a watch — which is already a lot of money
Given that statement, and that the steel 5711 was retailing at $35k, I presume the new line will be in steel. Precious metals at that price point with Patek quality is out of the question.

5167A remains in the current catalog, but despite aging well, it has been a while since it was launched in 2007. Also, although it is an entry-level watch, it is pretty unobtainable. I imagine the 5167A's fate will be similar to the 5711's. Also, the 5167A is already being replaced with the 5168G.

My hypothesis is that Patek will discontinue the 5167A next year, launch a new sports steel line, and push the Nautilus and Aquanut lines upward by focusing on either precious metals or complications. For example, consider this year's Aquanuts... all precious metals and/or complications.

I would exclude a dress watch line. It is clear that Patek is trying to attract new younger customers, with last year's launch of the 5226G and the 6007G this year. Being Patek, even if sporty, I imagine the line will be classy and elegant, similar to what Lange has done with the Odysseus.
dlmocdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 12:53 PM   #42
amg55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
Project Atlantis?
amg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 04:12 PM   #43
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmocdm View Post
Given that statement, and that the steel 5711 was retailing at $35k, I presume the new line will be in steel. Precious metals at that price point with Patek quality is out of the question.

5167A remains in the current catalog, but despite aging well, it has been a while since it was launched in 2007. Also, although it is an entry-level watch, it is pretty unobtainable. I imagine the 5167A's fate will be similar to the 5711's. Also, the 5167A is already being replaced with the 5168G.

My hypothesis is that Patek will discontinue the 5167A next year, launch a new sports steel line, and push the Nautilus and Aquanut lines upward by focusing on either precious metals or complications. For example, consider this year's Aquanuts... all precious metals and/or complications.

I would exclude a dress watch line. It is clear that Patek is trying to attract new younger customers, with last year's launch of the 5226G and the 6007G this year. Being Patek, even if sporty, I imagine the line will be classy and elegant, similar to what Lange has done with the Odysseus.
i don't know about this. 6119 is only $32k and several of the 5196 series were in the mid 20s to 30s as well. it could well be an entry level dress watch line given stern's self-admitted distaste of steel. Or even a new women's line as he emphasized he wanted to reinvigorate their women's collections.
Old 2 April 2023, 05:17 PM   #44
dlmocdm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalgt3 View Post
i don't know about this. 6119 is only $32k and several of the 5196 series were in the mid 20s to 30s as well. it could well be an entry level dress watch line given stern's self-admitted distaste of steel. Or even a new women's line as he emphasized he wanted to reinvigorate their women's collections.
An entry level dress watch line? Wouldn't that be the Calatrava? What do you think could be the differentiating factor to separate it from the Calatrava (or (Grand) Complications) line and become a separate line with a cohesive design? The existing Calatrava, Complications and Grand Complications lines are quite heterogenous with a huge variety of designs. Any dress watch could fit under those.

A new women's line is actually a good point! I was thinking of men only

An alternative could be an ultra-thin watch line. The ellipse line is quite antiquated and receives little love, has no exhibition case back, no complications at the moment, etc. Meanwhile, Bulgari, Richard Mille, Vacheron, JLC etc all have thin watches with exhibition case backs and complications. This is the single thing Patek is missing.

Do you have a reference for that distaste of steel statement?
dlmocdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 06:41 PM   #45
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member

"Of the 10 new men's models for 2019 on the Patek Philippe website, only two are in steel. One is the Nautilus Ref. 5726/1A-014 annual calendar with moon-phase display and blue-back dial. The other is the Calatrava Ref. 5212A Weekly Calendar. "It's a steel version. But it's only one piece, and I am not willing to do more," Stern says.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...tches-nautilus

Lots more quotes about steel.
Old 2 April 2023, 07:19 PM   #46
Vasco
"TRF" Member

He also said that he didn't really understand such strong steel hype in the sense it's very recent. It's clear that he would like PM watches to come back to a higher valuation than steel ones. And he also knows that some hype trends can reverse in significant proportions. He seems indeed to try to control this by making PM "cool" or attractive again. The shine, brighter color (vs grey steel) and the "luxury" image of PM certainly are pros. I guess he will try to promote them that way to reverse the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmocdm View Post
It is clear that Patek is trying to attract new younger customers, with last year's launch of the 5226G and the 6007G this year.
In fact, they tried to bring such offer in the 2010's already, with the 5960/1A (2014), Pilot (2015) for instance. The following colors associations were clearly going that route and the 5212A, 5205G blue or the Aquanaut development (blue, green, 5968A etc...) were in the same line. In fact it even started in a lesser extent with the 5960P grey dial (with blue and red touches), the 5960P blue as well or the black version.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 11:52 PM   #47
PVR
"TRF" Member

Wasn't the 5960 a brand new model with in house movement? That was the last time they made that statement. Also, the 5711 was discontinued only to bring back a green and Tiffany Dial.

These guys are hype machines. Pure BS.
PVR is offline   Reply With Quote